Metal Storm logo
What do you think about punk?

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 17.08.2006 - 12:33
hi.i want to say this is not a discussion about punkers,but more about the music.i personally think that if you need a break from metal,punk is a good choice.it doesn't have the agression,but since that is what metal is about,it won't be a problem.also i enjoy the optimistic vocals,and the sheer fun-sounding atmosphere of 80-90s punk.i don't enjoy that much the old-school punk.
other than that i think punk loses its originality and novelty value fast,if those values haven't already been lost.also i tend to get bored of punk,although i haven't listened to that much amount of this music type.
so,this is what i like and dislike about punk.what do YOU think?
05.01.2007 - 18:38
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
And he woudl have gone by either Mike Balzary or Mike B the Flea at the time, as well. "Mike B the Flea" was how he was creditted in the "Suburbia" old punk movie.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.01.2007 - 04:39
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by [user id=1283] on 04.01.2007 at 13:35

Well, i won't say anything against you but i might say both Sex Pistols and the Casualties suck...i mean...Sex Pistols i a crapy thing that is so called the father of punk...fuck that...take a load of Discharge or Dead Kennedys...

yeah fuck the Pistols...Ramones will always be Thee Original Punk Band in my Eyes... Sex Pistols and Casualties are Just as Generic as Bands like Good Charlotte and Sum 41

@Bitter Cold

haha you know about Suburbia?....that movie is good times....especially the ironically enjoyable shitty acting done by that skinhead guy "Skinner"...but Flea Made that Movie...especially yhe scene with the Eggs and the Slushy
10.01.2007 - 18:52
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
"I hate buses."

Was a good movie, I enjoyed it. I laughed. I cried. It was much better than Cats. I would see it again and again.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.01.2007 - 22:22
drum fiend
Account deleted
I like punk and if there wasnt punk there would'nt be any grindcore bands eventhough its a mixture between death and punk. Sex Pistols are good but the Ramones and Dead Kennedys are the best. I also think Green Day is an amazing band i dont care about wht anyone thinks. Mike Dirnt is such an amaing bassist. Billie Joe is an awesome frontman and Tre Cool is an awesome drummer is has a good drumming background.
15.01.2007 - 23:07
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
Written by [user id=19255] on 15.01.2007 at 22:22

I like punk and if there wasnt punk there would'nt be any grindcore bands eventhough its a mixture between death and punk. Sex Pistols are good but the Ramones and Dead Kennedys are the best. I also think Green Day is an amazing band i dont care about wht anyone thinks. Mike Dirnt is such an amaing bassist. Billie Joe is an awesome frontman and Tre Cool is an awesome drummer is has a good drumming background.

And what kind of discutions do you like to have if you don't care about what others think ? Lame...
16.01.2007 - 13:18
Drizzling Blur
Account deleted
Nothing in particular, it just exists.
16.01.2007 - 21:20
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

Greenday is stupid pop punk=Poser Punk.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.01.2007 - 22:46
Warman
Erotic Stains
Green Day? I hate when people call them punk, they are just as Dr.Rock said; Poser punk!
----
16.01.2007 - 23:59
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 16.01.2007 at 22:46

Green Day? I hate when people call them punk, they are just as Dr.Rock said; Poser punk!

They are not even poser punk. The word "punk" should not be allowed in the same sentence as. Green Day.
They are just a bunch of dirty kids making money.
17.01.2007 - 18:24
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
That is a good explanation...they are not punk...they suck at being "punkish"...the attitude, the songs, their orientation...its too commercial and 180 degrees away from the underground scene, the scene where true punk is born and lives...
19.01.2007 - 01:34
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
haha ya know before "dookie",green day had two albums that were on lookout! records and they were actually a respected band in the Berkely/eastbay underground...but as far as i'm concerned they've always been lame.that whole Lookout!/Berkely Bubble gum punk scene was never my thing

but just thought i'd give ya fine folks alittle history lesson...
19.01.2007 - 04:04
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
Anyway...i think that guy learned his lesson...at least i hope none will post something like that...even if they like whatever they like its ok, but posting and not participating in a discution is really boring and lame...
27.01.2007 - 02:14
Dalcyonir
Account deleted
Well for me punk is a way of life and because it is mostly about lyrics and there is rarely technique in the riffs/solos/bass/drums i'd like to give credit to Pistols,Dead Kennedys,Misfits that made my school years funnier.But i used to like an Offspring album ''Smash" really much even though i hated all their newier releases.Especially i used to like Self Esteem a lot:P
27.01.2007 - 13:58
APOHAKC
The Bard
When I was kid I used to listen Dead Kennedies, Ramones, Toy Dolls... but now I really can't listen that staff anymore, maybe Dead Kennedies, but other bands just can't. Sex Pistols is the worst punk band ever, but they done so much for their scene, good or bad I don't know. In generally I don't like punk because I can't listen so low quality music but it is good to give your kid or to play at home to disturb your parents.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
02.02.2007 - 16:52
MeGaDeTh_fReAk
i like only Old School punk bands like Dead Kennedys, Ramones,Sex Pistole etc etc......Green Day sux big time! and they just act like a bunch of amatuers they should really stop playing!
07.02.2007 - 19:16
Warman
Erotic Stains
Haha, please ... can we stop mentioning Green Day in this topic now? It freaks me out!
----
11.02.2007 - 00:22
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I would think that MSers wouldn't mention Green Day in here due to the fact MSers like to stay true to your sub-genres of metal and only mention the bands that were the most underground and innovative and didn't wind up going commercial, selling out and making a joke of themselves or becoming the brunt end of jokes, etc...but you're talking abut them in a negative light...but, if that's what you're going to do in a thread, why post at all?
13.02.2007 - 23:34
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
because a lot either simply do not understand the genre or like to scoff at that which they dislike... even if said scoffing makes them look, well, uninformed.
----

17.02.2007 - 20:10
piggy
Account deleted
I love 80s hardcore most of all. Minor Threat, Negative Approach, Dead Kennedys, D.R.I., Suicidal Tendencies, etc.

I hate it when metalheads say punk sucks, but they're only talking about that new shit. You wouldn't have thrash, grind or death if you didn't have punk.
23.02.2007 - 10:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Doc G. on 16.01.2007 at 21:20

Well I agree and TV made them so poppy
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.02.2007 - 00:09
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Bad English on 23.02.2007 at 10:06

Written by Doc G. on 16.01.2007 at 21:20

Well I agree and TV made them so poppy

Yeah, back in there pre-nimrod albums they were at least respectable.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.02.2007 - 00:37
Asat0r
Eh, Greenday is alright. Two punk bands that I love, and they're really not all that much are The Offspring, and Pennywise. I like pretty much everything by The Offspring, but my favorites will always be Ixnay on the Hombre and before. Pennywise's CD Land of the Free? is one of my favorite all time albums.
24.02.2007 - 02:16
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by [user id=21073] on 17.02.2007 at 20:10

I love 80s hardcore most of all. Minor Threat, Negative Approach, Dead Kennedys, D.R.I., Suicidal Tendencies, etc.

I hate it when metalheads say punk sucks, but they're only talking about that new shit. You wouldn't have thrash, grind or death if you didn't have punk.

well said...however there is some Good Modern Punk albums...Look at Refused -"The Shape of Punk to Come"...so ahead of its time when it came out 98....i would put that album up there with Black Flag,Minor Threat,Circle Jerks,and Fugazi
16.03.2007 - 01:08
HauntingNazareth
Account deleted
Haha, I'm actually listening to punk right now when I found this thread. I like punk alot. Except not old-school punk. Misfits are about the only old punk band I can stand. I like newer punk bands.. I guess they arent really punk now, since everyone calls them "hard-core" or "post-punk".. But they still retain the punk atmosphere which I really like. If a metal band could do that I'd love them. I know there are some bands which are metal and have some punk influeneces such as thrash metal, but they just dont have that punk feel about them. Green Day is one band that I cant really stand. Their music is okay [Old Green Day... i.e Dookie] But the thing that really gets me is that people label them as punk.... I really have to stop ranting. xD I'll check back in maybe 5 minutes even though I'm pretty sure nobody will acknowledge me even saying any of this since no one hardly listens to me on here. Haha.
17.03.2007 - 01:18
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
post-punk is an old term that predates probably most of the bands you listen to.

As for Green Day, they have taken the punk ethos and approach and managed to create a product which borders between punk and pop (Pop punk, anyone?)... And they were hardly the first to do so. The Descendants, to me blazed that trail long before Billie Joe picked up a guitar. Granted, they kept it more raw than Green Day, but the approach was the same.

How many old punk bands have you listened to? Like many genres the first bands were by far the most innovative and creative within the genre (see also: Death Metal, Black Metal, etc.) As far as I'm concerned, 'old school' punk on either side of the pond pretty much destroys the current scene.
----

17.03.2007 - 04:57
Zombie, M.D.
I dont like how the majority of punk is so proactive. I hate that "lets unite the kids and change the world" bullshit. Maybe Im a cynic but a bunch of shitheads with blue mohawks arent changing a damn thing except stun gun policies for riot police.

Give me something gritty like Antiseen or GG Allin over the same tired ass left wing drivel.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
17.03.2007 - 10:09
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 17.03.2007 at 01:18

post-punk is an old term that predates probably most of the bands you listen to.

As for Green Day, they have taken the punk ethos and approach and managed to create a product which borders between punk and pop (Pop punk, anyone?)... And they were hardly the first to do so. The Descendants, to me blazed that trail long before Billie Joe picked up a guitar. Granted, they kept it more raw than Green Day, but the approach was the same.

Lets not forget about Bad Religion... I think 99% of the modern punk (pop-punk) bands out there right now are totally ripping them off...
17.03.2007 - 22:33
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Yeah, Bad Religion - with, what, 27 years under their belts, are basically the bridge between the old and new.

I also got a kick out of Zombie's "Left Wing Drivel" comment. It's a big reason I don't bother with much of the new stuff. While I respect and enjoy DK, Bad Religion, and Crass - I just got tired of neo-punks forced agenda (hooray for heavily ideologically regulated rebellion!) - bunch of spoiled middle class white kids bitching about the world's ills just grinds on me.

That's yet another reason I still love The Vandals to this day - they've changed their sound over the years, but never the basic 'fairly amusing, funny party punk' music approach and haven't stepped into the political ring. (Hear that NOFX, Green Day... leave the politics to the bands like Bad Religion and Propaghandi! )

Meh. I still will search for the occasional old cd, but I don't think I've picked up a current release that wasn't put out by The Vandals or Dropkick Murphys in the past four or five years.
----

18.03.2007 - 22:50
HauntingNazareth
Account deleted
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 17.03.2007 at 04:57

I dont like how the majority of punk is so proactive. I hate that "lets unite the kids and change the world" bullshit. Maybe Im a cynic but a bunch of shitheads with blue mohawks arent changing a damn thing except stun gun policies for riot police.

Give me something gritty like Antiseen or GG Allin over the same tired ass left wing drivel.
Not all punk bands are like that.
18.03.2007 - 22:54
HauntingNazareth
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 17.03.2007 at 01:18

How many old punk bands have you listened to? Like many genres the first bands were by far the most innovative and creative within the genre (see also: Death Metal, Black Metal, etc.) As far as I'm concerned, 'old school' punk on either side of the pond pretty much destroys the current scene.
I've listened to alot of old punk. If you check my myspace you'll see alot of punk bands in my music section... [too lazy to put any right now, haha] Old punk for me has the same physics as black metal. It has the 'I dont give a shit if it sounds good as long as my point gets across' attitude, and not very well produced.