Metal Storm logo
The most difficult genre to get into

Original post

Posted by Bitch Boy, 16.03.2007 - 01:25
I was considering to open this thread in the Metal Arena, but I think that this is not a battle at all, instead, I opened this to see which genre do you consider the hardest to get into, based on your own experience and on what you have heard/read from other people.

I know that many people seem to take a lot to get into progressive metal, for example, and I don't know why, but I supposed it's because this whole experimentation with complex structures and stuff. In the other hand, and based on the number of fans of each band, I can see that doom metal is one of the most "unpopular" (¿?) or the hardest genre to get into for most of the people here in Metal Storm (especially funeral doom).

The genre that has taken me the most to get into is death metal, basically the pure death, technical death and brutal death. I don't know why this happens to me as I don't dislike grunts, and I would say that the only death metal form I appreciate is melo-death (including gothenburg) or death metal fusions with other genres like death/doom or death/prog.

So, what do you think it is the most difficult genre to get in?
15.12.2007 - 20:28
Gina73ss
..well it's not hard to get into, but sort of hard to keep track of. Metal! So many styles and bands...I am glad MS has the music on it- so then I can see who is playing what...if I listen enough, the names will catch on...
----
Take my hand
You'll never find
Another quite like mine
16.12.2007 - 01:03
Syzygy
Account deleted
Funeral doom didn't easily gain my attention at all.

However, Ahab's 'Call of the Wretched Sea' helped turn that around slightly.

Drone Doom, however is even more unapproachable... I obtained Sunn0))))'s Black One, but the best song on the album (IMO) was Sin Nanna - it was the shortest. [But if someone has something they want to suggest that'll 'convert' the uninitiated, go ahead.]

The most inaccessible genre would be grindcore or any of its sub-genres. I find it to be a steaming pile of completely atonal crap which could be played by trained chimpanzees.
16.12.2007 - 02:34
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by [user id=27631] on 16.12.2007 at 01:03

Drone Doom, however is even more unapproachable... I obtained Sunn0))))'s Black One, but the best song on the album (IMO) was Sin Nanna - it was the shortest. [But if someone has something they want to suggest that'll 'convert' the uninitiated, go ahead.]

Give it to me.

And I personally think Drone Doom is/can be one hell of a lot more extreme than grindcore.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
16.12.2007 - 09:13
BADDEST MEMBER
For me the epic doom or tradition doom is hard to get into and other genre is alternative rock/metalcore, e.g. Cave In. Its such an most awful music.
27.12.2007 - 18:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Doom metal [all the sub-genres of it as well.]
Black metal.

For a person who don't have listened to metal for a long time.
This genres can be a bit difficult.
Doom metal for it's monotony in some riffs.
And Black metal because "It's pure raw sound" [don't take it serious... It's just a joke and a reality at the same time.]
This the first thing that many people said the first time they listened to pure black metal.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass

Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

27.12.2007 - 19:23
Ascalon
Pure Black and Death Metal ... also some Extre Power Metal ?? ... I'm learning with them, opening my tastes... I like Technical and Progressive Death ...I was listening and reading Burzum's proposal ... but still being difficult to me getting used to the sound ...and all the message behind ... some grindcore music it's
also uneasy to listen at the first time .. I'm trying to ...
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
27.12.2007 - 22:29
Chaosgoat
Grindcore. I don't know why, but I really don't like it.

Black metal was relatively easy to get into compared to grindcore. I have yet to try to explore doom, but from what I know about it, the overall sound of it sounds more compatible with my ears than grind.
04.01.2008 - 20:29
torniojaws
Mallcore, numetal, mtv pop, stuff like that. I still don't like them
----
Vortech - New album out! VortechMusic.com Industrial Death Metal
05.01.2008 - 08:30
deadset61
Account deleted
id have to say drone for sure and maybe black metal cuz that took me over a year to start liking black more.
06.01.2008 - 00:53
Fucked Upstairs.
Account deleted
nu metal

you never get into it
and if you do, you're screwed
25.01.2008 - 18:22
Number Juan
Grindcore (don't like it except for Napalm Death), black metal (very selective), progressive metal (like lots of it) and Drone Doom (not familiar with it).
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
26.01.2008 - 14:06
Inlé
Im very much of the opinion that this is a highly personal thing which would vary immensely from person to person, depending on what you have an ear for.

For me I'd say straight out progressive and doom are the most difficult to "connect" with musically.
26.01.2008 - 16:53
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
For me, Metalcore was really hard to get into for a long time. It wasn't untill I heard End of Heartache by Killswitch Engage that I was hooked. Well hooked on KsE anyway. Also about the same time I experienced Demon Hunter. Oh my! What a fantastic band they are. I have gone to so many Metalcore shows the past three years, and some of them put on really great shows.

I will admit, a lot of it is crap. The same repedative song structure, but there are some that really stand out to me. Demon Hunter and Killswitch Engage being the two top spots for me, but there is a lot of material from Thrice, All That Remains, Between the Buried and Me, Becoming the Archetype, Still Remains, and some others.
----
(space for rent)
26.01.2008 - 18:19
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
ah.. to me, the most difficult metal genre to get into is..: Death and Black of course
Its just obvious, these are the most extreme kind of music in the planet, no one that listen death or black metal for the first time like it. The extreme its not to be listen anywhere anytime... to really listen to black and death metal you have to focus on the sound to catch its melody, and its not easy at the begginning, it just takes time. But when you get used it turns out to be the best kind of music you ever heard
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
26.01.2008 - 19:07
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Uirapuru on 26.01.2008 at 18:19

ah.. to me, the most difficult metal genre to get into is..: Death and Black of course
Its just obvious, these are the most extreme kind of music in the planet, no one that listen death or black metal for the first time like it.

Double wrong. I think Grindcore, Noise & Drone are far more extreme. Oh, and I was hooked on Death Metal the first time I heard it. With Black Metal it was different, though. (And nowadays I hardly like DM anymore, and still love BM.)
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.01.2008 - 19:33
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Lucas on 26.01.2008 at 19:07

Its just obvious, these are the most extreme kind of music in the planet, no one that listen death or black metal for the first time like it.

Double wrong. I think Grindcore, Noise & Drone are far more extreme. Oh, and I was hooked on Death Metal the first time I heard it. With Black Metal it was different, though. (And nowadays I hardly like DM anymore, and still love BM.)

Yeah, those three are more extreme. I liked Death Metal too as soon as I heard it (Morbid Angel), same with Black if I remember correctly.
----
26.01.2008 - 19:34
Inlé

Its just obvious, these are the most extreme kind of music in the planet, no one that listen death or black metal for the first time like it. The extreme its not to be listen anywhere anytime... to really listen to black and death metal you have to focus on the sound to catch its melody, and its not easy at the begginning, it just takes time. But when you get used it turns out to be the best kind of music you ever heard

With both, especially black it greatly depends on the band though. Things like Emporer and folk tinged black are very easy to get into I find.
27.01.2008 - 01:18
Uirapuru
Liver Failure

Oh please... grindcore far more extreme? when i say death metal im not talking about in flames or dark tranquillity, and when i say black im not talking about dimmu borgir or folk black bands... i'm talking about the purest bands possibly (i dont believe that its difficult to hear carcass over xasthur, or napalm death over krisiun). Drone and noise are really the weirdests things ever... and i dont know both very well, so you must be right.
About the liking DM or BM after listening for the first time... well, of course, it happen to some people, but i dont know anybody who did.. so i just made a wrong assumption
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
27.01.2008 - 01:32
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Uirapuru on 27.01.2008 at 01:18

Oh please... grindcore far more extreme? when i say death metal im not talking about in flames or dark tranquillity, and when i say black im not talking about dimmu borgir or folk black bands... i'm talking about the purest bands possibly (i dont believe that its difficult to hear carcass over xasthur, or napalm death over krisiun). Drone and noise are really the weirdests things ever... and i dont know both very well, so you must be right.

I know you weren't and neither was I. So you disagree with me that grindcore is (far) more extreme then Death or Black? It personally has a lot more intensity, especially the fat goregrind bands out there.
----

27.01.2008 - 02:08
b0000mst1ck
Written by Lucas on 27.01.2008 at 01:32

Written by Uirapuru on 27.01.2008 at 01:18

I know you weren't and neither was I. So you disagree with me that grindcore is (far) more extreme then Death or Black? It personally has a lot more intensity, especially the fat goregrind bands out there.

not to butt into your conversation but i personally despise any kind of "grind" because it's far too insane and hectic. but i can enjoy pure DM/BM.
27.01.2008 - 02:17
selken
Irreligious
I had some hard time getting into doom, maybe because I was listening to the wrong albums. But once iaberis reccommended me My dying bride and katatonia It was kind of easier for me.
----
27.01.2008 - 03:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

I'll agree with you on that one. Once I got past the harsh vocals (back when I was first getting into metal) I found alot of the franticness of brutal death and the coldness of alot of black quite enjoyable. I can get into some Grindcore (very little) but drone I just can't bring myself to fully understand. Even though I'm mostly a hard-rock/heavy metal guy Ive been trying to dabble in a bit of everything lately, but 2 genres I especially have a hard time with is prog and doom. Other than Opeth and a bit of Tool, I really have a hard time not zoning out and ignoring the music when theres a 15 minute song with crazy time signatures playing (dont get me wrong, I still have respect for the artists who can actually play that stuff). Doom for me is hard to get into because of the slow pace, other than maybe some ballads and stuff, I prefer something a little more fast paced. Unless you consider High On Fire doom (I don't, but apparently some people do) oh and I hear Black Sabbath have been described as 'the first doom metal band' (I'm severely uneducated in this genre)...so if you're including those bands as doom I guess I listen to a little doom.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.01.2008 - 03:18
MetalMiker
Account deleted
Probably grindcore for me... simply because I have a low opinion of it and don't understand the point of it at all. It's like taking something extreme and making it even more extreme. I listen to music to hear some good musicanship not to hear who can make the most noise. So I don't think I could ever get into grindcore.

I think doom metal could be a bit hard to get into if you're used to faster bands. The tempo change can be hard to get into. I used to love doom metal, but after predominantly listing to thrash, power and death metal bands that are obviously quite fast I ended up having a hard time listening to doom bands that were too slow in tempo for me.
27.01.2008 - 13:23
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 27.01.2008 at 03:14

I'll agree with you on that one. Once I got past the harsh vocals (back when I was first getting into metal) I found alot of the franticness of brutal death and the coldness of alot of black quite enjoyable. I can get into some Grindcore (very little) but drone I just can't bring myself to fully understand. Even though I'm mostly a hard-rock/heavy metal guy Ive been trying to dabble in a bit of everything lately, but 2 genres I especially have a hard time with is prog and doom. Other than Opeth and a bit of Tool, I really have a hard time not zoning out and ignoring the music when theres a 15 minute song with crazy time signatures playing (dont get me wrong, I still have respect for the artists who can actually play that stuff). Doom for me is hard to get into because of the slow pace, other than maybe some ballads and stuff, I prefer something a little more fast paced. Unless you consider High On Fire doom (I don't, but apparently some people do) oh and I hear Black Sabbath have been described as 'the first doom metal band' (I'm severely uneducated in this genre)...so if you're including those bands as doom I guess I listen to a little doom.

Doom can indeed be a hard to grasp genre because it is different from the other metal genres, in the area of values and such. Where most metal relies on fastpaced brutalness or beer drinking, doom relies on the emotion and atmosphere (I got hooked on it mostly cause I already got used to music relying on atmosphere - Black Metal.)

If you want to get into Doom, I suppose spinning Black Sabbath's s/t would be a good start, and with that Candlemass' debut. You might also want to try some Cathedral or Saint Vitus, as they have a rougher edge going on. (And avoid the popular MDB copy-cats at all costs. )
----

31.01.2008 - 13:57
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
death metal is easier to get into compared to grindcore, noisecore etc.

but i would have to say technical metal is also difficult to get into as most people dont the like excessive changes in time sigs and all the variations

for me it would have to be black metal and grindcore
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
31.01.2008 - 20:05
Stigma
Account deleted
Well, power and prog are easy to get into but as the time goes, I'll for surely find them boring. I'd say old school death metal, if we're looking for the first time listening to it.
01.02.2008 - 05:53
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Lucas on 27.01.2008 at 13:23

Written by Doc G. on 27.01.2008 at 03:14

Doom can indeed be a hard to grasp genre because it is different from the other metal genres, in the area of values and such. Where most metal relies on fastpaced brutalness or beer drinking, doom relies on the emotion and atmosphere (I got hooked on it mostly cause I already got used to music relying on atmosphere - Black Metal.)

If you want to get into Doom, I suppose spinning Black Sabbath's s/t would be a good start, and with that Candlemass' debut. You might also want to try some Cathedral or Saint Vitus, as they have a rougher edge going on. (And avoid the popular MDB copy-cats at all costs. )

Actually, you'd be proud Nervel! Im starting to get into Gallhammer (alot of there stuff sounds like doom....I think?), Ive been listening to the all day. Eerie stuff.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
01.02.2008 - 22:02
Cock_Spit
Account deleted
Written by [user id=26778] on 06.01.2008 at 00:53

nu metal

you never get into it
and if you do, you're screwed

Lmao so true. O_O

One other thing. I cant get into thrash. Ah hah.
02.02.2008 - 12:25
^Necrolust^
How can it be difficult to ''get into'' music (any genre) as long as you like it...?If you don't,you just don't get into it.Is there a law,that forces you to ''get into'' bm,or dm or grindcore etc? I believe that if a person is interested in certain genres of metal,or music in general it won't be difficult at all.
----
Sin my soul,blesses with fire....
02.02.2008 - 18:42
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Yes, but when I started listening to metal, long time ago,bands like Children of Bodom, Pantera, In Flames, Dark tranquillity, it was just that I could listen to it, it was way too agressive for 17 years old me. When I first heard COB I was like, great music, but why the hell is he screaming and growling so bad.... But after sometime Bodom became one of my fav bands, and still is... For me it was Death metal that it took most time to understand and like it, in the begining I dindt like it at all, bot even In Flames but now I like even more 'extreme' bands like Vader, Death... (Canibal or Morbid Angel still escapes me, I think I would never like them... same with brutal black metal... only SymphoMelodic stuff )
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes