Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2018

Original post

Posted by 3rdWorld, 05.01.2018 - 19:27
You know the drill, post any metal album released/upcoming in 2018 that you listened, found worthy and want to recommend to others.

UK one-man black metal with a heavy wall-of-noise production. Its on Sentient Ruin, so guaranteed to deliver.

Vessel Of Iniquity - Vessel Of Iniquity

07.07.2018 - 20:12
3rdWorld
China was a neat
I think we still need to use the band and album name for recs as the search option doesn't seem to look into the bc player. So it would be good if people can include it for future tracking purposes.

Some ridiculously good and mechanical sounding sludge/grind from Pennsylvania.

Secret Cutter - Quantum Eraser

07.07.2018 - 20:42
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Ancient Lights - Slow and ambitious psychedelia from ritual productions

08.07.2018 - 02:14
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Kinda surprised to see this record on youtube already, it's supposed to come at the end of July. Big fan of their 3 previous releases (When Empires Fall, Other World and The Tower). Another good record but I still prefer When Empires Fall and The Tower.

Only one track available so far on Bandcamp:
08.07.2018 - 04:50
3rdWorld
China was a neat
New Cloak of Altering is always my favorite new Mories. From the upcoming album 'Zero Satan'.

Crunchy and juicy death metal from Xtreem Music, well its not like if they ever put out anything other than that. These guys' second album in as many years. The debut last year was really good too.

Nasty Surgeons - Infectious Stench

Everyone's new favorite metal label is just getting better and better. Worth posting for the cover alone.

Heads For The Dead - Seprent's Curse

The good kind of prog death. Reminds me of the better bands in the genre like Beyond Creation, The Faceless etc. That fucking stupid logo spoils the awesome cover by Adam Burke though. Also there should've been really less core-ish parts.

Anachronism - Orogeny

08.07.2018 - 20:56
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Cenotafio - death/black from the guys in Invehertex. Sounds a like, that peasant style No 25 minute songs this time though. This is a re-released 2017 album but I am gonna pretend I didnt notice.

09.07.2018 - 15:58
Mercurial
Long lost Judas Iscariot album finally sees the light of day. It's not that great sadly.

Judas Iscariot

Potentially fantastic sounding, highly atmospheric percussion-riven drone doom of sorts. Only one song but shaping up to be good.

Ocre
09.07.2018 - 17:59
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Awesome cover artwork
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
09.07.2018 - 18:00
Mercurial
Written by Maco on 09.07.2018 at 17:59

Awesome cover artwork

Yeah it's pretty damned fine. Forgot to mention the band is made of Voivod and Chaos Echoes members.
09.07.2018 - 18:33
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Mercurial on 09.07.2018 at 18:00

Written by Maco on 09.07.2018 at 17:59

Awesome cover artwork

Yeah it's pretty damned fine. Forgot to mention the band is made of Voivod and Chaos Echoes members.

Lol I was talking about the Judas Iscariot one haha. However the other one looks cool too!
----
09.07.2018 - 20:41
Atmospheric Black Metal. FFO: Ash Borer, Fell Voices, Terra, Paramnesia

09.07.2018 - 23:34
Mercurial
Written by Maco on 09.07.2018 at 18:33

Lol I was talking about the Judas Iscariot one haha. However the other one looks cool too!

Lolol, fair enough. The font kinda ruins it though.
10.07.2018 - 00:10
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Mercurial on 09.07.2018 at 23:34

Written by Maco on 09.07.2018 at 18:33

Lolol, fair enough. The font kinda ruins it though.

You think? I think it looks fantastic.

----
10.07.2018 - 00:12
Mercurial
Written by Maco on 10.07.2018 at 00:10

You think? I think it looks fantastic.

Oh that one, I was going by the first one that pops up. That one is much nicer, yeah.
10.07.2018 - 11:30
Mercurial
Very solid, punchy atmos-black. Vero cool, clever artwork.

Blyh

Happy to say that Wake still make some of the most vicious grind imaginable.

Wake

High quality epic doom entry, which dabbles in some heavier moments.

Destroyer of Light

Fuzzy, blackened sludge doom.

Churchburn

Enormous sounding post-rock / hardcore that takes on an almost black metal aesthetic at times. Great soundscapes here.

Ingrina

Sophisticated death / doom that draws influence from a number of sources. Really nice tapestry of sounds.

Soliloquium

Varied, atmospheric and doomy old school death.

Ritual Necromancy

Here's a wtf moment: Striborg made a weird, eerie synthy electronic album, and it's quite good!

Striborg

Psyche-as-fuck swirling psyche-rock.

Petyr

Retro, blues-rock doom with phenomenal female vocals. Incredible artwork again.

Spiral Skies

Superb modern prog rock, featuring a member of Secrets of the Moon. One of the best artworks of the year.

Crone
10.07.2018 - 15:01
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Firtan streaming in full, quite sure I listened to something here of them before, search didnt show anything though.

https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2018/07/09/firtan-okeanos-black-metal/
11.07.2018 - 02:25
Maco
Pvt Funderground
This black metal band from Chile has impressed me enough to regard this album as one of the highlights from this year. Monumental sound along with some tight songwriting make this a winner.

Check this beauty of arwork too.

----
11.07.2018 - 16:56
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Dayum Jooe, always getting the good artworks.

On the other hand, I checked out the Dead Moon Temple album too and thought it didn't have anything special to post but it was fairly decent bm indeed.
11.07.2018 - 23:01
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Joe Liszt's other project apart from Ancient Empire (which strangely will release also an album 27th of July). This one is coming out on the 21st but the whole album is already available to listen to on Bandcamp. Just like Ancient Empire records this one is a traditional heavy metal one. Listened to it twice now and like it more than the Ancient Empire one.
12.07.2018 - 00:15
Mercurial
Not original but damn this band have an epic sound. Soaring, very well-produced black metal.

Dauþuz

And another black metal one with incredible atmosphere, though different in tone.

Baume

Harrowing, occult funeral doom. Not sure how I feel about it yet but it's definitely more unique sounding than most of the genre.

Malsanctum

Eerie, doomy black metal from Chile.

PYREFICATIVM
12.07.2018 - 14:46
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Mercurial on 12.07.2018 at 00:15

Harrowing, occult funeral doom. Not sure how I feel about it yet but it's definitely more unique sounding than most of the genre.

Malsanctum

I reced this above but now its full it sounds average. I said it before but Vassafor is easily the best of the murky bands. The genre is a bit inflated imo, but people enjoying it more than me probably wont agree.
12.07.2018 - 15:04
Mercurial
Written by [user id=173045] on 12.07.2018 at 14:46

I reced this above but now its full it sounds average. I said it before but Vassafor is easily the best of the murky bands. The genre is a bit inflated imo, but people enjoying it more than me probably wont agree.

I'm still waiting for something to top 'Odori Sepulcrorum' for pure OSDM quality.
12.07.2018 - 15:10
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Mercurial on 12.07.2018 at 15:04

Written by [user id=173045] on 12.07.2018 at 14:46

I'm still waiting for something to top 'Odori Sepulcrorum' for pure OSDM quality.

Yeh, I mostly end up listening to that album instead of something new when I want to listen to dm.
13.07.2018 - 11:23
Mercurial
Not sure if I'd describe this as instrumental progressive stoner, or instrumental stoner-tinged prog. Maybe just psychedelic prog. Nice either way. Has vomiting rainbows in.

Erupter

Overlooked this one on Iron Bonehead. Lo-fi, almost psychedelic black niceness. Reminds me of a less abrasive S.V.E.S.T. if anyone remembers those guys.

Pa Vesh En

They also have more this year from a split coming up with Temple Moon. This song is actually kind of amazing.

Overlooked this one too. Occult mid-paced black metal with synths. Great, classic frosty sound and the songwriting is really tight. A+ plus effort on the vocals too.

Abhor

Pretty not bad sludgey grind / hardcore.

Sewer Trench

Chaotic, chiptune hardcore anyone? It's quite good,

The Armed

Distinctly above average sounding psychedelic, post-tinged stoner sludge. Big sound.

Boar

Some of the most aggressive, heavy post-metal / atmos-sludge I've heard in a whle, and it's further elevated by some Depeche Mode-esque cleans.

Lesser Glow

I honestly can't tell if this is good or not, or what I'd call it. Avant-garde death metal maybe? It flitters between atypical sounding death metal with primitive vocals to melancholic acoustics to moments of proggy exploration. Seems to have found an audience though.

Aseitas
13.07.2018 - 17:53
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Portal-ian blackened death metal from US.

Infernal Coil

New Pigs^7 is the most fun I've ever heard them.

Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs

ALL HAIL LORD MARCO!!!!!

Orator

Tip: It's the drummer from Brain Drill. Plus this has way better songwriting.

Fairly enjoyable progressive heavy/stoner from UK with female vocals. Lack of songwriting variation hits them hard though.

Lowen

Glorious, wicked nwobhm worship from these unstoppable FInnish machines.

Bonehunter

Caligari Records could do no wrong when it comes to bringing the goodies in the underground extreme metal realm.

Bloodsoaked Necrovoid

Impenetrable mindfucking lofi madness seen only via the likes of Iron Bonehead productions. Makes me wonder if the artwork is a reaction photo.

Cosmic Void Ritual

13.07.2018 - 18:46
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Listened to that Lowen album a couple days ago. It's indeed a fairly enjoyable album but like you said the variation is lacking on it. I zoned out a couple of times while listening to it even though it's less than 40 minutes long.
13.07.2018 - 23:36
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Well guys this is mostly recommendations but maybe someone will listen to the albums:

My highlights from this year until now:

-Solstice (UK)
-Mournful Congregation
-Antichrist (PE)
-Drudkh
-Ataraxy
-Shining
-Dead Moon Temple

What are yours?
----
14.07.2018 - 02:49
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
My favourites so far this year are (a lot of them I posted in this thread as well):

Rivers Of Nihil - Where Owls Know My Name
Crescent - The Order Of Amenti
Sunnata - Outlands
Amorphis - Queen Of Time
Slugdge - Esoteric Malacology
Shadowkiller - Guardians Of The Temple
Toundra - Vortex
Thirst Planet - The Essence
Runelord - A Message From The Past
Necrophobic - Mark Of The Necrogram
Primordial - Exile Amongst The Ruins
Shylmagoghnar - Transience

The Solstice album you mentioned is on my list of albums I still need to listen to.
14.07.2018 - 09:12
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Really good modern doom.

Matriarch

14.07.2018 - 12:27
Paz
Elite
Medieval black synth from Serbia.

14.07.2018 - 15:02
Mercurial
Spazzy, avant-garde grind / mathcore. Noice.

The Sound That Ends Creation