Metal Storm logo
Bands that you prefer their newer stuff

Original post

Posted by selken, 17.07.2008 - 07:21
it's almost an unwritten law (and a Metalstormer law) that in order to be a true metalhead you have to like only old stuff from bands, and loathe their new stuff, but we know there are few bands that you maybe prefer their newer stuff. who knows, better production, more mature lyrics, more skilled musicianships, anything.

These are my bands

Exodus: I prefer their last 3 albums over their old stuff, of course their old stuff is OK, but I find the new ones more technical, with better riffs and more agressive. Sometimes touching the borders of melody.

Kreator: I'm a fan of old-school and melodic extreme, but in this case, I prefer their lastest 2 albums, I like a lot the melodic yet agressive riffs.

Behemoth: starting from the normal, almost generic black metal, these dudes later developed a brutal sound for the atmospheric black metal.

Hypocrisy: their latest album Virus is my fav of them all, it has better riffs IMO and more catching songs

so, post ! xD
11.05.2011 - 14:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Beer Fairy on 11.05.2011 at 10:08

I prefer new Satyricon and Darkthrone, because i'n not into black metal, and their new stuff are more acceptable for me

actualy i prefere it to even I deeply like old Satyricon , not so much Darktrone, but this is lile blues y sound of BM, mix whit street rock n roll, and alcohol, realy I ennjoy it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.05.2011 - 21:13
terrorist
Definitely Kreator and Immortal,i am not a big fan or fan at all of their previous releases but latest releases from these bands are getting better and better.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
14.05.2011 - 03:33
Yasmine
I like Blizzard Beasts until now.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
15.05.2011 - 01:41
RavenKing

I prefer new Satyricon and Darkthrone, because i'n not into black metal, and their new stuff are more acceptable for me

It's the exact opposite for me. I hate the new Darkthrone and Satyricon, while I like the old. Guess it's because, unlike you, I'm into Black Metal.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
15.05.2011 - 12:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by RavenKing on 15.05.2011 at 01:41

It's the exact opposite for me. I hate the new Darkthrone and Satyricon, while I like the old. Guess it's because, unlike you, I'm into Black Metal.

I'm into Black Metal as well and I like both styles
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.06.2011 - 20:04
fabregassed
Account deleted
Not a metal band really, but Alexisonfire?
10.06.2011 - 20:09
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by RavenKing on 15.05.2011 at 01:41

No matter what new and old... both sucks LOL
well obviously its my biased opinion no need to tell me im in the wrong.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
22.07.2011 - 17:32
Darth Revan
I definitely agree on Exodus, I prefer the technicality of the new albums over the older ones. Exhibit B was especially good.

Ugh... maybe Scar Symmetry? I think they've only improved with each album they've done, aside from Dark Matter Dimensions, but that was the first album without Christian, and the next album is probably going to surpass anything they've done before.

Dark Tranquillity if only because I prefer Character over their older stuff I guess, including The Gallery, though The Gallery was pretty epic.

Metallica- Yeah, not a chance.

That's all I got.
22.07.2011 - 19:26
Pennywise213
Account deleted
It would be Rotting Chrsit, their new Epic Ethno Black Metal is way more interesting than the Gothic stuff earlier. Other would be Behemoth since Demigod, with its oriantal elements.
22.07.2011 - 22:32
Pazu
Helloween. I think The Dark Ride and 7 Sinners are their best records.
25.07.2011 - 10:04
ToMegaTherion
There are a few, Epica have been gradual improvers since their first album was recorded. Megadeths revival in recent years has seen three very good albums recorded and released. Im not sure if i would say its better than early Megadeth, since RIP is a favorite, but Endgame, TSHF and United Abominations are all not far off.
@ZGoten: I agree, 7 Sinners is a great album.
25.07.2011 - 10:09
ToMegaTherion
I forgot, Katatonia. I like their early stuff, but their later work is my favorite stuff of theirs.
Candlemass are another whose last few albums have been incredible.
27.07.2011 - 01:18
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Amon Amarth. Their older stuff is more brutal and raw than their newer stuff, which focuses more on melody, to my liking.
27.07.2011 - 02:10
Ankläger
Bolt Thrower, Gojira, High On Fire, Electric Wizard, Dillinger Escape Plan, Satyricon, Earth, The Beatles (post-Revolver), Cephalic Carnage, Immolation, Pink Floyd (70s), Trivium, and I would say 1349, but they released that atrocious Demonoir...
27.07.2011 - 04:45
Mattybu
Metallica, especially St. Anger, probably the pinnacle of comeback albums... Yeah I'm kidding. I don't really know many bands where I liked their new better than old. Especially a few legendary bands that peaked in the 80's that are still around today, their new stuff doesn't hold a candle to the old (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Motorhead to an extent).
30.07.2011 - 00:58
moe5512
Dimmu Borgir, their first two was kinda crappy mainly because of silenoz screams.
Iron Maiden, after Bruce rejoined they started to have a proggresive tune which i like
Amorphis, With Tomi Joutsen on vocals they are great
Sonata Arctica, I love all their albums but Reckoning Night and Unia are their best ( Days of grays are though not as good)
Nightwish, Even if Dark Passion Play isn't their best work I don't mind Anette on vocals + the orchestrations are much better
30.07.2011 - 01:23
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by terrorist on 13.05.2011 at 21:13

Definitely Kreator and Immortal,i am not a big fan or fan at all of their previous releases but latest releases from these bands are getting better and better.

same here
30.07.2011 - 02:33
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Arch Enemy imo.
05.10.2011 - 14:06
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I really like the 3 guitar sound of Iron Maiden. The songs and albums are longer now, too. I also prefer Immortal's albums with Abbath on guitar over those with Demonaz as I find the songs less scrappy. And newer Dimmu Borgir and Nightwish because of the use of full orchestras on the albums.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
06.10.2011 - 15:27
@gent_-_orange
Enslaved... They have a great discography overall but their newest record (as well as vertebrae) could very well be the're best.
06.10.2011 - 17:06
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
1. Immortal - became a real band starting with Blizzard Beasts, and culminating on the next release, At the Heart of Winter. Everything before is sloppy and chaotic. I don't care how kvlt and tr00 it is, it simply sucks.
2. Opeth - the first really brilliant album is Still Life. It's a different case than Immortal, because every single Opeth album, be it early or late, is mature work. But what was before Still Life didn't impress so much.
3. Katatonia - their eraly releases were generic death doom albums, not better or worse than many other bands at that time. Starting with Brave Murder Day they became really great. Also on their latest, mainly non-metal album.

Just 3 bands off the top of myhead.
06.10.2011 - 17:23
Malevolent-Jim
Written by Daniell on 06.10.2011 at 17:06

1. Immortal - became a real band starting with Blizzard Beasts, and culminating on the next release, At the Heart of Winter. Everything before is sloppy and chaotic. I don't care how kvlt and tr00 it is, it simply sucks.
2. Opeth - the first really brilliant album is Still Life. It's a different case than Immortal, because every single Opeth album, be it early or late, is mature work. But what was before Still Life didn't impress so much.
3. Katatonia - their eraly releases were generic death doom albums, not better or worse than many other bands at that time. Starting with Brave Murder Day they became really great. Also on their latest, mainly non-metal album.

Just 3 bands off the top of myhead.

I agree with all of them. Other people include:

Devin Townsend
Avantasia
Anathema
Vader
06.10.2011 - 18:52
Risto
Wandering Midget
- Amorphis
- Dark Tranquillity
- Devin Townsend
06.10.2011 - 21:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

Reading this thread's title... For me Newer Opeth would be from ghost reveries to their latest...which would be a big NO compared to everything they did before that. I disagree about Katatonia's debut (because I can't call BMD "newer" either because of my definition of new) it's a fine piece of black/doom/death/whatever. Won't discuss the generic factor because that's not important (although I think their guitars are different from what I've heard in similar albums) but I do think they were far better than average on that genre.

What you preffer or not is up to you though... It's just that albums like "still life" or "BMD" aren't what I would call "newer". I'm just being picky.
I personally disagree with Dance Of December Souls being a generic album though.
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.10.2011 - 21:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.10.2011 at 21:00

I personally disagree with Dance Of December Souls being a generic album though.

Dance Of December Souls isn't generic at all. At the time they already had a sound of their own and didn't sound like anyone else.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.10.2011 - 21:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.10.2011 at 21:31

Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.10.2011 at 21:00

Dance Of December Souls isn't generic at all. At the time they already had a sound of their own and didn't sound like anyone else.

Yeah... I'm really not listening to the sound from DODS in any other cd tbh. Like I said before, the sound of the guitars is (to me at least) quite unique. Not to mention that Renske but one hell of a performance.

A bit offtopic: It's hard for me to give that album a genre. It's like equal parts doom,death and black most of the time
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.10.2011 - 22:23
Frost Beast
Account deleted

Everything before is sloppy and chaotic. I don't care how kvlt and tr00 it is, it simply sucks.

Man, their older stuff is somehow good. I agree that their new material destroys it, but Battles and Pure can't be that bad.
06.10.2011 - 22:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by [user id=122056] on 06.10.2011 at 22:23
Man, their older stuff is somehow good. I agree that they're new material destroys it, but Battles and Pure can't be that bad.

Nah, Daniell's just got a hard-on for hating on early black metal bands that don't have atmosphere and melody.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.10.2011 - 22:32
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.10.2011 at 22:25

Man, their older stuff is somehow good. I agree that they're new material destroys it, but Battles and Pure can't be that bad.

Nah, Daniell's just got a hard-on for hating on early black metal bands that don't have atmosphere and melody.

You're completely wrong. You came across me criticizing early Burzum and Immortal and drew false conclusions.. I love early Mayhem, Satyricon, Emperor, Darkthrone and many many more. Point is, they didn't release bad albums that became cult. The bands I mentioned actually had many good songs on their early releases. And they had SONGS as opposed to Immortal's exercises in chaos and Burzums exercises in sloppiness.
06.10.2011 - 22:32
Frost Beast
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.10.2011 at 22:25

Actually, I'm with him too. But Immortal is are special for me. For example, I hate bands like Darkthrone and Mayhem, but I like Enslaved, Drudkh, WIITR, Xasthur and Burzum (I guess they're somehow atmospheric.)