Metal Storm logo
Favorite Bassist?

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 04.08.2006 - 07:15
Greg Christian of Testament would be one of my favorites (fast fucker)
then comes Stephan Fimmers of Necrophagist
Cliff Burton..

my top 3..
01.02.2009 - 02:15
WagonOfFilth
Justin Chancellor and Les Claypool
----
Your trust is in Whiskey, and Weed, and Slayer. It's goddamn electric!
01.02.2009 - 02:29
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Steve DiGiorgio is a really great bassist!!! His work on Individual Thought Patterns is absolutely great!!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
01.02.2009 - 02:40
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by [user id=1909] on 31.01.2009 at 21:58

Bassist? Who the hell cares about bassists? lol Most bands I listen to the bassist is just some guy making the 5th member of the band lol

then most of the bands you listen to take their bassists for granted. there are only a few things besides inhumane production that can render a bassist pointless. most bassists are assholes and force their sound to be recognized and heard on top of the guitars, drums and vocals. at least in my experiences.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
01.02.2009 - 07:29
Captain Renor
Account deleted
Written by LeChron James on 01.02.2009 at 02:40

Written by [user id=1909] on 31.01.2009 at 21:58

Bassist? Who the hell cares about bassists? lol Most bands I listen to the bassist is just some guy making the 5th member of the band lol

then most of the bands you listen to take their bassists for granted. there are only a few things besides inhumane production that can render a bassist pointless. most bassists are assholes and force their sound to be recognized and heard on top of the guitars, drums and vocals. at least in my experiences.

then the question becomes, does it matter if it makes the track better?

the question of who is louder is pretty insignificant. If you want your bassist to turn down so he is inaudible thats your business, but metal in general would do better to have stronger bass parts. I will refernce N.I.B., Run to the Hills, Ramble On. Almost all of the BANDS people recognize for greatness have a good bassist to compliment the rest of them. 2 out of 4 exeptional band members makes you worthy of a few albums, 3 out of 4 makes you worthy of remembering, 4/4 makes you immortal. Slayer is one of the bands that makes up the 3/4 group, slayer is amasing dont get me wrong but who is going to compare the impact slayer has had on music to led zepplin, the beatles, iron maiden, pink floyd or black sabbath. if your honest with yourself its not even close.
02.02.2009 - 05:50
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Yeah i coulda told you that. the skill of the bassist and his/her presence within the group, makes or breaks the band. if a band is willing to recognize the inherent skill of the bassist along with the other members of the band, a power band could be formed. i mean come on, what is better than a pair of kickass guitarist, a ballin' ass bassist and a vocalist of Daniel Heiman's quality. thats what Lost Horizon was. i cant wait for another one of those to come around.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
02.02.2009 - 10:26
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Damn all you ignant' to the beauty of the BASS

I really like Katatonias, Mattias Norrmans bass playing on the Great Cold Distance. I find it oddly unique and it almost makes that album with its moodiness.
----
Coldgrits
05.02.2009 - 06:19
IronBlackZepp
Steve Harris, John Paul Jones, and Cliff Burton are my top 3.
07.02.2009 - 21:16
JeffWaters
Account deleted
Steve Harris, Cliff Burton, Jeff Waters (YES!! Alison Hell bass pieces were composed and performed by him) and Jim Sheppard (Nevermore).
08.02.2009 - 23:34
Thrashard
Steve Harris, Cliff Burton.
31.08.2009 - 08:04
Kratos
Frank Bello of Anthrax is a underrated Bassist who has a good sound, Cliff Burton and Steve Harris are gods, and Alex Webster of cannibal Corpse is fucking fast, and real talented.
31.08.2009 - 16:35
Hanyuchan
Justin Chancellor, dunno if you count Tool as metal though.
31.08.2009 - 20:02
Galar
Wicked Mung
1.Steve Digorgio-No need to explain, the most technically sound bassist in metal that I have ever heard
2.Jeff Walker-Not the best, not the most original, however I LOVE HIM...
3.The dude from Obscura/ex-pestilence. He's got some fretless chops.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
31.08.2009 - 21:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Galar on 31.08.2009 at 20:02

You mean MetalStorm member JPT Jeroen Paul Thesseling
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.12.2009 - 12:54
divortium
Geezer Butler (Sabbath), John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin), Martin Mendez (Opeth), Dave Ellefeson (The Dave Mustaine Experience), Scott Clendenin (Death), Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) are all fantastic bassists... Geezer's one of the more prominent examples, Mendez has a wonderful jazzy aura about him, Clendenin is a motherfucker, and we all know how JPJ, Harris and Ellefeson can drive a song.

EDIT: Woah, with an avatar like mine, HOW THE FUCK DID I FORGET LEMMY
----
Stop him in his tracks, show him that I am ruthless...
14.12.2009 - 20:09
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Favourite metal bassist?

Who really gives a crap about bassists? Unless you're a whale and can hear a seal take a shit from 10 miles away then you might care who the best bassist is. I can possibly recall hearing bass maybe 5 times in the music I listen to...and even then I wont mind them being replaced by a third guitarist. I think theres only a bassist in a metal band because the instrument has fat strings and kinda looks cool. Other than that I hardly see the point...or maybe my ears are just fucked from listening too much music - either way who cares.
14.12.2009 - 22:03
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by [user id=1909] on 14.12.2009 at 20:09

Favourite metal bassist?

Who really gives a crap about bassists? Unless you're a whale and can hear a seal take a shit from 10 miles away then you might care who the best bassist is. I can possibly recall hearing bass maybe 5 times in the music I listen to...and even then I wont mind them being replaced by a third guitarist. I think theres only a bassist in a metal band because the instrument has fat strings and kinda looks cool. Other than that I hardly see the point...or maybe my ears are just fucked from listening too much music - either way who cares.

I don't know if you're joking or if you're just deaf.
If it's the second option, go buy yourself some ears (or a good hi-fi music player).
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
14.12.2009 - 22:22
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Darkside Momo on 14.12.2009 at 22:03

Favourite metal bassist?

I don't know if you're joking or if you're just deaf.
If it's the second option, go buy yourself some ears (or a good hi-fi music player).

Well whichever it is, I think I am a bit deaf. I just dont really care too much for bass. Has never done anything for me...I mean some prog bands like Suspyre etc have some cool/groovy basslines but when you listen music which are "fuller" (for lack of better term) it's hardly an instrument to notice between all the others. Eitherway, its just my opinion so to each his own..
14.12.2009 - 22:23
Baz Anderson
Staff
Honestly, I don't care much for bass guitar either. There are only a few bands where the bass is interesting to me.
14.12.2009 - 22:45
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Sure, there are some albums on which you simply can't hear the bass, just because the mix doesn't allow it.
Then there's Iron Maiden, Mötörhead, Mekong Delta, Atheist, Alchemist... For these bands and countless others no bass would really mean no music.
----

I am awake"
14.12.2009 - 23:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Without bass the music falls flat. You don't need to hear the bass, but you need it nonetheless. Because without bass you will lose that needed bottom end which cannot be achieved by adding a third guitar,
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.12.2009 - 00:18
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I like hearing bass in band's music!

I've never understood why, some bands have a great bass player, (Example: Metallica and Rob Trujillo) then mix the album in a way that means the bass can't be heard. What's the point of hiring a great bass player, if you're going to do that?! I also think ''...And Justice For All'', as great an album as it is, suffers a bit through the bass being cut out of the mix. That is definitely one album that is in terrible need of remixing/remastering!

As for my favourite bassists, I have quite a few!

Billy Gould - Faith No More
Steve Digiorgio - Death
Cliff Burton - Metallica
Rob Trujillo - Metallica/Suicidal Tendencies (Mainly for his amazing work in Suicidal, where you could actually hear him! lol)
Alex Webster - Cannibal Corpse
Markus Grosskopf - Helloween
David Ellefson - Megadeth
Frank Bello - Anthrax
Geezer Butler - Black Sabbath
Felipe Andreoli - Angra
Steve Harris - Iron Maiden
D.D. Verni - Overkill
Greg Christian - Testament
Eddie Jackson - Queensryche
Doug Wimbish - Living Colour
Les Claypool - Primus
John Myung - Dream Theater
Tony Choy - Pestilence/Cynic
John Deacon - Queen
Nefarious - Macabre
Lemmy - Motorhead
Lars Rosenberg - Entombed
Rob Fioretti - Kreator
15.12.2009 - 00:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.12.2009 at 00:18

Tony Choy - Pestilence/Cynic

Funny you should mention him for Cynic, where he can only be heard on the demos, and not for Atheist.
But yeah truly a great bass player.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.12.2009 - 00:52
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.12.2009 at 00:35
Funny you should mention him for Cynic, where he can only be heard on the demos, and not for Atheist.

Ooops, I completely forgot he didn't play on "Focus"! *blushing*

He was great in Pestilence though, which was where I first heard him. I didn't know he played for Atheist. I'll have to check them out!

I don't know much about them, except I remember reading years ago that their bassist (I think it was the bassist) died, or something...
15.12.2009 - 01:16
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.12.2009 at 00:52

I don't know much about them, except I remember reading years ago that their bassist (I think it was the bassist) died, or something...

Yeah Roger Patterson (the original atheist bassist) died before the recording of Unquestionable Presence, and he was replaced by Tony Choy.
Try to listen to this album's 2005 reissue, as there are demo tracks with Roger Patterson on them. And both are awesome bass players.

Written by Galar on 31.08.2009 at 20:02

Jeroen Paul Thesseling
----

I am awake"
15.12.2009 - 01:31
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.12.2009 at 00:52

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.12.2009 at 00:35

Ooops, I completely forgot he didn't play on "Focus"! *blushing*

He was great in Pestilence though, which was where I first heard him. I didn't know he played for Atheist. I'll have to check them out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNWhqyaLOJk

He kills it in this tune.
15.12.2009 - 01:38
Fat & Sassy!
Elite

Favourite metal bassist?

If music (metal included) were a house, the bass would be the walls. Everything else is the roof. As fancy as your roof is, it wouldn't exist if the walls weren't holding it up. :/
15.12.2009 - 01:47
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 15.12.2009 at 01:31

ahhh Mother Man
----

I am awake"
15.12.2009 - 02:07
Angelic Storm
Melodious

Woah, that was insane!

That definitely put me on my ass!

Tony Choy is a monster bass player, and Athiest (I almost said Cynic again... ) sound like a great band! Thanks for the vid.
15.12.2009 - 02:15
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Geddy Lee...and then...everyone else.

You want to hear bass guitar in music? Listen to "Moving Pictures"....
----
rekt
15.12.2009 - 02:55
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.12.2009 at 02:07

Woah, that was insane!

That definitely put me on my ass!

Tony Choy is a monster bass player, and Athiest (I almost said Cynic again... ) sound like a great band! Thanks for the vid.

Yeah, I know. His performance is so INTENSE.

On to responding to the point of this thread:

My all-time favorite bassist has to be Les Claypool. He may not be the most skilled bassist ever (even though he's definitely a master at the instrument), but he understands the bass as an instrument so well. My biggest beef with a lot of talented bassists is that they tend to loose focus of the purpose of the bass and wander off, floating around in the music they are a part of, making the music less cohesive. The music that Les writes is very bass-driven, but he knows his place. He finds a creative, trademark, funky-ass Claypool groove and just rolls with it as the other musicians raw it up. Rarely does he have a solo.