Metal Storm logo
Your response when people insult your music taste

Original post

Posted by Zombie94, 06.02.2012 - 19:49
I often encounter people who either see me listening to metal, hear me talking about it, wearing a shirt etc. and have nothing better to say than something ignorant like "all that metal music sucks" or metal is shit etc., you can fill in the gaps.

Anyway I think this is one of the universal annoyances metalheads have to suffer at least every now and then. And I've noticed that everybody seems to have a different approach to responding. Some people get into music taste bitching battles, some call each other gay, some even claim that metal takes more talent to play than other genres. I'm at the stage where I just ignore it and let them get whatever dumb remarks they want to off their chest.

So what do you guys do when people say this to you?
30.09.2013 - 03:05
Guib
Thrash Talker
Maybe before it used to happen to me alot... but the more time passes by.. the less I get this kind of argument with people, it is probably because I avoid talking about the music I like with people I know wouldn't agree with me because I just think its pointless... you cannot discuss about tastes and that does not only apply to music but to pretty much every single aspect of life. Idk, maybe I just don't pay attention to it as much anymore compared to when I was 14-15 I guess. Nowadays when people tell me that my music sucks I usually just start laughing and do not even reply... I work in a warehouse and I play my music often when I work alone and sometimes people pass through and last time I did reply to someone complaining about my music saying that it sucks and all, I told him he could get the fuck out if he didn't like it since I was not forcing him to stay in my work space and listen to my stuff, and basically just pointed him the door that was probably a bit rude but I had a bad day and that guy could indeed just get the fuck out lol.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
30.09.2013 - 07:57
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by angel. on 30.09.2013 at 01:02

well well the exact thing I always tried to explain was that metal is not unusual at all

and sometimes it gets so intolerable that I preferred to go on living without anyone close to me in terms of relationships, friendships or etc... nah I don't mean that I ignore people, I rather spend more time on my own than having a bunch of open jaws bashing on my taste with no drop of respect around,I even sometimes pity myself to be in such situation, but anyway I choose to be alone rather than to to push myself into any random crowd of ignorance.

The fact is Metal is unusual, even the traditional forms, in contrast to other popular forms of music and I hope it does because that's what drew me to the genre in the first place. The distorted guitar, pounding and unusually fast rhythms and overall emphasis on creating a louder and powerful sound all makes it sonically makes it a "non-musical" (more so with the extreme metal genres) compared to other genres people usually enjoy.

And with the second statement, I couldn't agree more with you on that.
30.09.2013 - 08:53
no one
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 30.09.2013 at 07:57

The fact is Metal is unusual, even the traditional forms

Not really, every second bonehead in this country seems listens to Metallica or something, even a cradle of filth tee shirt doesn't make grandma look twice.
Your just another 'bogan' if you listen to metal.
30.09.2013 - 08:55
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by [user id=136611] on 30.09.2013 at 08:53

Not really, every second bonehead in this country seems listens to Metallica or something, even a cradle of filth tee shirt doesn't make grandma look twice.

Definitely not where I live, and I guess definitely not in most of the third world countires (especially Asian).
30.09.2013 - 09:01
Written by 3rdWorld on 30.09.2013 at 08:55

Definitely not where I live, and I guess definitely not in most of the third world countires (especially Asian).

Not where I live either. Here you get glanced at just for wearing a Metallica shirt. Not necessarily in a negative way though, it´s just unusual.
----
I´ve always loved the night
... and darkness.
30.09.2013 - 09:12
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
I listen to a buncha different music. Rap, metal, hardcore techno, Motown, really anything with a solid beat. I've been criticized on this site for listening to rap music by one-dimensional dickheads that cannot appreciate a different form of music and I just quote rap lyrics to deal with detractors. Pro-tip: violent rap music is the angry black dude equivalent of black metal for angry white people.

But when people here (seldomly) criticize my tastes in metal, I direct them to the musical prowess of those playing the music in question. If that doesn't work, then I try and have a coherent discussion about our disagreements, rather than just saying "NIGHTWISH CAN GO AHEAD AND GET AT DEEZ NUTZ" or something like that.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
30.09.2013 - 09:15
no one
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 30.09.2013 at 03:05

Maybe before it used to happen to me alot... but the more time passes by.. the less I get this kind of argument with people, it is probably because I avoid talking about the music I like with people I know wouldn't agree with me because I just think its pointless... you cannot discuss about tastes and that does not only apply to music but to pretty much every single aspect of life. Idk, maybe I just don't pay attention to it as much anymore compared to when I was 14-15 I guess. Nowadays when people tell me that my music sucks I usually just start laughing and do not even reply... I work in a warehouse and I play my music often when I work alone and sometimes people pass through and last time I did reply to someone complaining about my music saying that it sucks and all, I told him he could get the fuck out if he didn't like it since I was not forcing him to stay in my work space and listen to my stuff, and basically just pointed him the door that was probably a bit rude but I had a bad day and that guy could indeed just get the fuck out lol.

The other week this tiler douche was blasting his metalcore on our site, fucking inconsiderate really...but your situation was alright, i'm just saying i hate it when people do that, happens more often with gangster rap
30.09.2013 - 09:22
no one
Account deleted

oh yeah of course in 3rd world country's (you should put your country under your name)
30.09.2013 - 09:37
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by angel. on 29.09.2013 at 23:09

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 29.09.2013 at 23:06

You know what i do?

I insult their parents. Best possible way to get out and walk off.

how about if they're your own family members or relatives,or how about they're your supervisor at work,or a teacher at school, sigh !

Being from that family who's dad is heavy metal maniac, surely he don't say anything. My mom is pretty okay with it. As far as supervisor, teacher at school or well-wisher of me who try to insult my music taste is concerned, well, i listen to them and forgets what they said after an hour. You know, i'm not being ignorant here. I know what I'm doing and why i listen to Metal.
30.09.2013 - 10:02
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 30.09.2013 at 09:37

i'm not being ignorant here. I know what I'm doing and why i listen to Metal.

well I know what I'm doing too and why I listen to a certain music, I just can't make ignorant people to hear my reasons for listening to a certain kind of music
----
The Fangirl.
30.09.2013 - 10:15
angel.
Evil Butterfly

metal is really nothing unusual in form and structure it's just the same notes we hear in classical music the same notes in country music and so on, it's just they changed the sound, several times we hear the same things in other kinds of music, but mostly people don't look into its musical aspects they rather go around all those controversial sides of it, but even pop music have some certain controversies too, of course they're not as much as heavy metal, but I'm just trying to say the way sometimes it had been advertised, made metal to appear unusual, but in form and musical aspect metal really had nothing so weirder than other genres, consider Blues , Jazz, classical music , metal burrows so many stuffs from them and change the sound and tempo and the way to represent the same notes or even sometimes the same techniques, they don't have another kind of musical theory ? do they ? nah ! They're doing the same thing that a violinist can do with its violin, if it was something so apart from them, then how several bands in metal use violin with their metal music ? that's why I say it's not unusual music
----
The Fangirl.
30.09.2013 - 11:00
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by angel. on 30.09.2013 at 10:15

metal is really nothing unusual in form and structure it's just the same notes we hear in classical music the same notes in country music and so on, it's just they changed the sound, several times we hear the same things in other kinds of music, but mostly people don't look into its musical aspects they rather go around all those controversial sides of it, but even pop music have some certain controversies too, of course they're not as much as heavy metal, but I'm just trying to say the way sometimes it had been advertised, made metal to appear unusual, but in form and musical aspect metal really had nothing so weirder than other genres, consider Blues , Jazz, classical music , metal burrows so many stuffs from them and change the sound and tempo and the way to represent the same notes or even sometimes the same techniques, they don't have another kind of musical theory ? do they ? nah ! They're doing the same thing that a violinist can do with its violin, if it was something so apart from them, then how several bands in metal use violin with their metal music ? that's why I say it's not unusual music

Not form and structure, but the overall emphasis of sounding aggressive and non-musical is very prevalent in metal imo.

I am not speaking about jazz and classical here, much more traditional/mainstream/contemporary/popular/film music. I wouldn't want to give an off-topic dissertation on the whole Indian music scene here, but Metal is considered to be an unusual taste here (Even more so it was in the 90's and the early 00's) where I come from, cause frankly otherwise I would've never given a fuck about it.
30.09.2013 - 12:50
Sharemyflat
Find a roommate in everyone 1 click shows results on map dynamic filtering system Share My Flat extensive search criteria new rooms mailed to your inbox route plot for your house visit cnd much more... All for free!
----
Find a roommate in everyone 1 click shows results on map dynamic filtering system Share My Flat extensive search criteria new rooms mailed to your inbox route plot for your house visit cnd much more... All for free!
30.09.2013 - 12:57
Sharemyflat
Written by Sharemyflat on 30.09.2013 at 12:50

----
30.09.2013 - 13:04
mz
Written by angel. on 30.09.2013 at 01:02

well well the exact thing I always tried to explain was that metal is not unusual at all

and sometimes it gets so intolerable that I preferred to go on living without anyone close to me in terms of relationships, friendships or etc... nah I don't mean that I ignore people, I rather spend more time on my own than having a bunch of open jaws bashing on my taste with no drop of respect around,I even sometimes pity myself to be in such situation, but anyway I choose to be alone rather than to to push myself into any random crowd of ignorance.

BTW I don't mean that ignore anyone who is not into metal,nah ! It's just as long as they can respect different tastes I respect theirs too,in fact I respect everyone tastes regardless of what they bash on me,but still I rather to keep my distance,because if they want to start to go on with disrespecting with I like I just got overwhelmed by them helplessly.

well I think playing at 300 bpm, blast beats, growls and extreme lyrical contexts are pretty unusual, especially where Anathema is considered satanic
Regarding the problem with people's attitude about metal, I guess that your situation is super critical since not only metal is (seemingly) insulted and not accepted in a our society, it is somehow extremely odd for a girl to listen to this kind of music. I mean, some have told me that I'm too calm to listen to metal and I could imagine that you've got bashed because you are a female metalhead in an religious and traditional society.

I personally have no problem with my friends since tbh, I do not think it's a good idea to play metal when you are hanging out with friends and having fun and I do not do that. Furthermore, I am personally open minded and pretty much enjoy pop and rap music they play. After all, if people are your close friends, they should accept your taste and if they are not, then they are not important at all. I do not deny that I'm ignorant and do not care about others. I have several good friends who respect my taste so why should I try to persuade every single possible person around ?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
30.09.2013 - 13:06
mz
Written by mischievous_mess on 30.09.2013 at 09:01

Not where I live either. Here you get glanced at just for wearing a Metallica shirt. Not necessarily in a negative way though, it´s just unusual.

Seriously? I thought that metal is pretty normal in Scandinavian countries
----
30.09.2013 - 13:15
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by mz on 30.09.2013 at 13:04

I could imagine that you've got bashed because you are a female metalhead in an religious and traditional society.

My goodness someone can understand me finally
----
The Fangirl.
30.09.2013 - 13:18
Written by mz on 30.09.2013 at 13:06

Written by mischievous_mess on 30.09.2013 at 09:01

Seriously? I thought that metal is pretty normal in Scandinavian countries

Sadly, no. It's not as normal as one might think...
----
I´ve always loved the night
... and darkness.
30.09.2013 - 13:20
mz
Written by Sharemyflat on 30.09.2013 at 12:50

not a good place to advertise your site
----
30.09.2013 - 13:26
mz
Written by angel. on 30.09.2013 at 13:15

My goodness someone can understand me finally

yeah, I am so good and gentleman as you see =P
but seriously, female metalheads are rather rare in Iran. Good job being one of them
----
30.10.2013 - 00:08
Matt S
This hasn't happened to me in a long time. Probably since I was in high school.

I'm 25 now, and all of my friends, most of which aren't metal fans respect my musical tastes, and that goes for most people I encounter in general. It's not their cup of tea, and they get it, but the also acknowledge it isn't "Crap" by any means. I extend the same courtesy to them as well. I'm pretty open minded when it comes to music and I'll give most genre's a shot.
30.10.2013 - 14:47
Jtbmetal123
You know what I tell people when they insult my music. " Okay cool, you dont like heavy metal?". " I dont care". " Go back at listen to your 2 chainz". Or whatever. I really dont care. They are the ones who are missing out. Not me.
17.11.2013 - 03:26
DyingWorld
This rarely happens to me since I don't talk about metal with people who I know aren't metalheads. If they are respectful and aren't simply bashing it, I will respond with an equally respectful defense. However, I told one girl to go fuck herself when my friend was playing Mercyful Fate and she said that she hated the vocals. Keep in mind though, I was having a bad day and I didn't necessarily like the girl to begin with.
18.11.2013 - 17:13
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Just had a guy the other day make fun of me for liking System of a Down (a band I only recently really got into). It's just like... that's all you can do, is make fun of what someone enjoys? It's just such a pointless way to try to insult someone. Like, hey you, your taste in art is different than mine and that means I'm better than you! Rather than spending time having a discussion about our differing tastes, I'm going to laugh at your inferiority!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.11.2013 - 18:25
mz
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.11.2013 at 17:13

Just had a guy the other day make fun of me for liking System of a Down (a band I only recently really got into). It's just like... that's all you can do, is make fun of what someone enjoys? It's just such a pointless way to try to insult someone. Like, hey you, your taste in art is different than mine and that means I'm better than you! Rather than spending time having a discussion about our differing tastes, I'm going to laugh at your inferiority!

I've asked people to have discussion on music and especially the type of music they are insulting but most of the time, their answer is this:" the thing that you listen to is not music and does not worth discussion"
----
18.11.2013 - 18:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by mz on 18.11.2013 at 18:25
"the thing that you listen to is not music and does not worth discussion"

Which is basically their way of telling you they aren't intelligent enough to hold a conversation anyway, so it's not a big loss in my eyes.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.11.2013 - 22:14
Lonniehaskel
I used to take interest when someone insulted my taste because I thought people may have an interesting, thought-provoking take on it or a good reason why. I love broadening my horizons and accepting other opinions. Typically, it's proven to be consistently "it's just a bunch of screaming and no one can sing etc etc etc" from closed-minded people. Other than that, people don't know the difference between "your music taste is shit" and "I can see why you like this but it's not my cup of tea."
18.11.2013 - 23:32
Mattybu
When people insult all or part of my music taste it really doesn't bother me, and usually when it does I can understand why. person: "you listen to Cannibal Corpse? they're messed up" Yeah, Cannibal Corpse is pretty messed up. That's why I like them!

as Sweet Brown would say, ain't nobody got time to let other people's opinions on things like music bother you... damn I'm craving a cold pop now.
27.11.2013 - 16:33
I get far more metallers insulting my non-metal tastes than the other way round. Since Slipknot broke in 1999/2000, metal in the UK has become a lot more common, is just "another genre" as it were. Whilst we appreciate Cannibal Corpse sound significantly different to Slipknot, most of the people that listen to dance/rap/pop thing it all sounds the same so rarely gets a second look. Nine times out of ten if I was to throw some metal on at work, I'd get a couple of "cookie monster" jokes and then everyone would just get on with their lives.

I had my MP3 player on before and some J-Pop came on it, some of the metallers around me were completed offended that I could listen to something non-metal.
27.11.2013 - 17:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Ancient Dreams on 27.11.2013 at 16:33
I had my MP3 player on before and some J-Pop came on it, some of the metallers around me were completed offended that I could listen to something non-metal.

Ya the only direct opposition I face in terms of my taste in music comes from other metalheads. Most of the people I've met who don't listen to metal don't give a shit that I listen to it, but other metalheads want to make sure I know they have a better taste in music than me.
----