Metal Storm logo
Bass players

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 30.06.2006 - 16:14
Well, I just like to know who the bass players on this forum are, the bass is not to be underestimated ...
I play bass myself, pretty shitty gear actually .. I'm playing exactly one year right now.
An adonis four strings, and a Stagg 80W amplifier, it's just doable to play in a band
Monday I'm recording a demo
I love to play rock and metal (of course) Iron Maiden - Hallowed be thy name and Dream of Mirrors are heaven!

So .. What's your gear ? Favorite songs to play on the bass ? Band ?
16.06.2008 - 21:38
Sunioj
I think I have new favorite bassiist. Steve Bailey, he's so fucking good. He's not like Victor Wooten that mainly plays on high octaves or with over the top slapping. This guy is everything I love in bass. Alternating chords to where he's still leading the sound with the low tones of the note while adding all sorts of harmonics and chords.... ahhhhh, sooooo amazzinnnnngggg.

Digorgio doesn't hold a candle to this guy imo.
17.06.2008 - 06:43
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Sunioj on 16.06.2008 at 21:38

I think I have new favorite bassiist. Steve Bailey, he's so fucking good. He's not like Victor Wooten that mainly plays on high octaves or with over the top slapping. This guy is everything I love in bass. Alternating chords to where he's still leading the sound with the low tones of the note while adding all sorts of harmonics and chords.... ahhhhh, sooooo amazzinnnnngggg.

Just checked him out in some youtube footage for "Bass Extremes." I like him alot, he's pretty good. I honestly don't know if he's better than DiGiorgio, but he's damn good, and he's been playing for a Loooong time now. Since 1970 at least.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
17.06.2008 - 23:59
Sunioj
Written by Arian Totalis on 17.06.2008 at 06:43

Written by Sunioj on 16.06.2008 at 21:38

Just checked him out in some youtube footage for "Bass Extremes." I like him alot, he's pretty good. I honestly don't know if he's better than DiGiorgio, but he's damn good, and he's been playing for a Loooong time now. Since 1970 at least.

I think that Digorgio is good for the precision and speed that he has. Though, I admit, that my playing style is a lot more similar to Digorgio taking into consideration that I'm more focused on making (melodic) tremelo riffs with my fingers (like many bassists in metal), of course I'm probably not as fast. Point is, IMO Steve bailey just has that scope of playing technique that I really envy.

Speaking of speed, I upped my scales to 380 BPM just today, feels good that I can play comfortably at that level while trying the utmost to sound clean and organic.
20.06.2008 - 16:31
Sunioj
Probably one of the most useless but most blasphemous type of bass I've ever seen. It takes two people to play - one to operate levers to hold down the string while the other person bows. I can't imagine how fucking strong the tone is, it must make everyone soil their pants within a 5 mile radius.

22.06.2008 - 10:19
NECURATU
That's a lot of bass.
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
24.06.2008 - 18:27
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Sunioj on 20.06.2008 at 16:31

I can't imagine how fucking strong the tone is, it must make everyone soil their pants within a 5 mile radius.

You must be talking about the brown note...
27.06.2008 - 20:06
Sunioj
Written by [user id=2084] on 24.06.2008 at 18:27

I can't imagine how fucking strong the tone is, it must make everyone soil their pants within a 5 mile radius.

You must be talking about the brown note...

Perhaps, don't know really much about it myself

On a side note, this is the most ridiculous bass I've ever seen, a one string for the lolz:

27.06.2008 - 20:11
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Yeah...some bands can get away with only playing on one string...you can write a lot of songs with the bass for just one string....
27.06.2008 - 21:02
Sunioj
True. I just cannot imagine not having the three extra strings there, it's just so much easier that way so you don't have to move your hand up and down the fretboard like a schizo.
27.06.2008 - 21:26
FalseLobster
Account deleted
Hello everybody, it's my first post. I first started playin' bass about 6 years ago on a $200 USD Ibanez starter pack. I have since upgraded to a Ibanez BTB406QM. It's a sexy six string that cost me about $1000, IIRC. Picture: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/FalseLobster/100_4511.jpg

I've been meaning to convert my old 4 string to a fretless when I get the chance. Learning bass got me into jazz, because I was looking for challenging bass lines to play when I still listened to crap music, Jaco Pastorius and Victor Wooten are incredible. The first real metal band (read: not nu metal, alt metal, radio stuff) I really got into was Dream Theater, and then I got into a whole ton of metal from there. Myung inspired my purchase of a 6 string.
27.06.2008 - 23:18
Sunioj
Written by [user id=33461] on 27.06.2008 at 21:26

Hello everybody, it's my first post. I first started playin' bass about 6 years ago on a $200 USD Ibanez starter pack. I have since upgraded to a Ibanez BTB406QM. It's a sexy six string that cost me about $1000, IIRC. Picture: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/FalseLobster/100_4511.jpg

I've been meaning to convert my old 4 string to a fretless when I get the chance. Learning bass got me into jazz, because I was looking for challenging bass lines to play when I still listened to crap music, Jaco Pastorius and Victor Wooten are incredible. The first real metal band (read: not nu metal, alt metal, radio stuff) I really got into was Dream Theater, and then I got into a whole ton of metal from there. Myung inspired my purchase of a 6 string.

That's a pretty nice bass man. I'm still with my Cort Action bass that I started with but can't complain since I still really enjoy the sound. Though, a J-bass would sound nice at this time. I think I approached starting the bass a little differently as well, I got into it from hearing all the metal bassists ala digorgio, tony choy etc. but gradually lost interest in them, and just focusing on my own sound while learning how they play.
23.07.2008 - 18:27
Sunioj
Written by NECURATU on 22.06.2008 at 10:19

Have you ever gotten a tingly feeling in your fingers from playing? I noticed this a while ago, didn't think anything of it, but now it feels more common. It's in my left pinky mainly, its really weird, I don't think I've experienced something like this before.
24.07.2008 - 11:08
NECURATU
Tingly feeling? No, I don't think so. I assume it's impossible for them to go numb while playing unless you hold your hand in an awkward (and i mean fucking awkward) position. I have ocasional BDSM impulses when I play the acoustic (since I don't do that quite so often) and my fingers feel rather strange but I don't think it's the same thing. Let me wake up a bit since I'm in quite the hangover (the quit drinking part failed, I'm doomed) and I'll think about it.
----
25.07.2008 - 19:32
Sunioj
I actually figured out, just practicing way too much arpeggios with tremelo picking so I took at short break and now its back to normal.

I changed the action on my bass to like a millimeter lower and damn its so much easier to play. I didn't have a allan wrench (or bike wrench) to loosen the bolts so I took out on of the spikes off a fork and flattened to head to fit inside.

Old school.
26.07.2008 - 20:03
NECURATU
Oh well, I never manage to practice so much that i acutally get myself hurt . But you made me curios about the whole arpeggio tremolo picking thing. I'd like to hear you play some of that stuff.
----
26.07.2008 - 20:38
Sunioj
I will upload an improvisational track sometime soon.

When it comes to me and practicing, I get really obsessive that if I feel that one or two notes sounded alittle bit messy, I will start from the beginning to get it 100% right!

EDIT: Track uploaded, but the sound is absolute shit though. At least the low end seems to come out clear.

http://www.mediafire.com/?qxyjt9cizhx
02.08.2008 - 01:08
started playing guitar a year and a half ago, i picked up the bass last april and fell in love with that fat bottom end. i run a traben array neck thru through my ampeg svt200t 410. i play fingerstyle with my index and middle fingers andi use the trooper as a nice right hand warm up. cliff burton era metallica and anything mastodon sounds great. im working on orion, but the miniscule details in that song are tougher than one could expect.
04.08.2008 - 01:50
thesabbathfan

Probably one of the most useless but most blasphemous type of bass I've ever seen. It takes two people to play - one to operate levers to hold down the string while the other person bows. I can't imagine how fucking strong the tone is, it must make everyone soil their pants within a 5 mile radius.

how is that useless? have you ever heard one? line 5 of them up beside eachother and you get an incredible bass sound that no amp could make.
----
04.08.2008 - 07:01
Sunioj
Quote:
Written by thesabbathfan on 04.08.2008 at 01:50

how is that useless? have you ever heard one? line 5 of them up beside eachother and you get an incredible bass sound that no amp could make.

Keyword: Amplifier.

Technology is a great thing
05.08.2008 - 21:51
NECURATU
Written by Sunioj on 26.07.2008 at 20:38

I will upload an improvisational track sometime soon.

When it comes to me and practicing, I get really obsessive that if I feel that one or two notes sounded alittle bit messy, I will start from the beginning to get it 100% right!

EDIT: Track uploaded, but the sound is absolute shit though. At least the low end seems to come out clear.

http://www.mediafire.com/?qxyjt9cizhx

Sorry I didn't answer sooner, I've been busy around with things. Anyway, gosh that sounds so clean. None of the icky sounds/fret buzz i have, and the whole thing is quite fluent and stuff so keep plucking that motherfucker
----
06.08.2008 - 01:08
Sunioj
Written by NECURATU on 05.08.2008 at 21:51

Sorry I didn't answer sooner, I've been busy around with things. Anyway, gosh that sounds so clean. None of the icky sounds/fret buzz i have, and the whole thing is quite fluent and stuff so keep plucking that motherfucker

Hey, thanks for the vote of confidence! I also get the buzz on a few frets.. I need to get my to a set up soon though because of that, might also help in your case btw.

Cheers.
06.08.2008 - 01:44
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
@Kojster: Yeah, I just tried to listen to it but for some reason all that comes through clearly on my computer is the drums. I can't hear the bass at all.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
06.08.2008 - 06:39
thesabbathfan
this is the bass i'm saving up for:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/bass_guitars/esp/ltd_f-5e/index.html
the ESP F-5E =D

cant wait til I dump my piece of shit cheapo bass
----
06.08.2008 - 10:38
NECURATU
Written by thesabbathfan on 06.08.2008 at 06:39

Hey, don't talk like that. Any piece of bass is way better than no piece of bass, you wouldn't be wanting to be plucking your tigh bone or something, no?
----
06.08.2008 - 13:40
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
billy sheehan is a monster. an absolute fucking savage. just watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veLGBk1mE5U

LOOK AND LISTEN.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
06.08.2008 - 13:42
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen

the ESP F-5E =D

yeah man you cant dump your first bass. even if its awful.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
07.08.2008 - 08:32
thesabbathfan
Written by LeChron James on 06.08.2008 at 13:42

the ESP F-5E =D

i suppose ur right. may as well keep it for the memories.
----
07.08.2008 - 08:43
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by thesabbathfan on 07.08.2008 at 08:32

the ESP F-5E =D

yeah, if anything you can buy better parts for it and whack it the fuck out and make it better than any guitar that sells regularly.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

07.08.2008 - 10:33
thesabbathfan
Written by LeChron James on 07.08.2008 at 08:43

Written by thesabbathfan on 07.08.2008 at 08:32

the ESP F-5E =D

yeah, if anything you can buy better parts for it and whack it the fuck out and make it better than any guitar that sells regularly.

I wouldn't do that (as the neck is bolt-on and I don't like bolt-on necks), I'd hang it up in my room and buy that ESP I posted earlier.
----
14.08.2008 - 09:48
NECURATU
uh, what's wrong with BO? it's still a fucking neck...
----