Metal Storm logo
The Awesome Beer Thread

Original post

Posted by Deadmeat, 28.05.2009 - 16:38
After making a poll with having only 8 possible choices I decided that it would be better to have a Beer topic. So, tell us what's your favorite beer, why it is and give us all the necessary information about it so that we can try it when we have the chance.

So, keep on the discussion about this great drink called Beer!

As for me, I've already wrote it: Erdinger (i don't know much about it's short etc) is the best. It is a beer that kneeds in your bottle and it tastes great!
07.08.2012 - 03:32
Mattybu
Of the kinds of beer I've tried, Dos Equis is by far my favourite. Has a nice smooth taste and just goes down really nicely. I like Corona too.
07.08.2012 - 04:11
helofloki
IPAs rule. Dogfish head 90 minute and Heavy Seas Loose Cannon are my favs. Also enjoy a good Sierra Nevada Torpedo. I also love the Abby ales. Chimay of course, also a big fan of Ommegang brews. Unibrou makes nice belgian style beers as well. Marzens are good, fall is my favorite for seasonals.

As far as commercial beer goes I can handle blue moon or pale ales. Bud and miller and all that uber commercial shit is horrible disgusting swill. Even if Dos Equis has good commercials the beer is tasteless garbage (sorry hundred).
08.08.2012 - 23:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by helofloki on 07.08.2012 at 04:11

Even if Dos Equis has good commercials the beer is tasteless garbage (sorry hundred).

Corona he mentioned is just as bad if not worse.

People who list lagers as their favourite beers are clearly not fans of beer. Call me an beer snob or beer elitist if you will but that's the way I see it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.08.2012 - 00:13
BlueMobius
Account deleted
My personal favorites are probably Hobgoblin ale - I really enjoy the rich dark flavor of it and it's surprisingly smooth for such a dark beer -, SweetWater 420 extra pale ale - this one has a nice flavor with a bit of bite to it that I enjoy, plus it's a local brew so it gets a few extra points for that too -, and third, Blue Moon - I pick this one just because it's probably my favorite "every day" brew, it's crisp and darn good with an orange slice.
09.08.2012 - 00:39
IronAngel
At the moment I'm a fan of dark, strong and sweet. Kasteel Donker, Gulden Draak, Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel, Malheur 12, they're all pretty exquisite Belgian beers.
09.08.2012 - 01:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by IronAngel on 09.08.2012 at 00:39

At the moment I'm a fan of dark, strong and sweet. Kasteel Donker, Gulden Draak, Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel, Malheur 12, they're all pretty exquisite Belgian beers.

my problem with all of them is they are way too fucking sweet for my tastes. Way too much sugar in them which hasn't fermented.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.08.2012 - 01:36
IronAngel
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.08.2012 at 01:25

my problem with all of them is they are way too fucking sweet for my tastes. Way too much sugar in them which hasn't fermented.

Yeah. I was kinda surprised when I first had Kasteel, but it quickly grew on me. I like rich and robust, but the average stout tends to be a little dry for my tastes. I wouldn't have two of those sweet things in a row, though. Anything a little less sweet but in that general vein you'd recommend?

Oh, a friend's friend had imported some of Schlenkerla's smoke beers from Germany once, they were tasty. You can get the basic variety (Märzen?) around here, but it actually tastes pretty different. And that's not just snob talk, the difference was blatantly obvious. I don't really know the beer industry, but I imagine it has something to do with when they're bottled or somesuch.
09.08.2012 - 01:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by IronAngel on 09.08.2012 at 01:36

Yeah. I was kinda surprised when I first had Kasteel, but it quickly grew on me. I like rich and robust, but the average stout tends to be a little dry for my tastes. I wouldn't have two of those sweet things in a row, though. Anything a little less sweet but in that general vein you'd recommend?

Oh, a friend's friend had imported some of Schlenkerla's smoke beers from Germany once, they were tasty. You can get the basic variety (Märzen?) around here, but it actually tastes pretty different. And that's not just snob talk, the difference was blatantly obvious. I don't really know the beer industry, but I imagine it has something to do with when they're bottled or somesuch.

Schenkerla I think has three different smoked beers. The Marzen is their standard one and least smoked of the lot.

About ten years ago went with four friends for a long weekend to Bamberg where we visited ALL the breweries that brew smoked beer. Of coure Schenkerla was one of them but to be honest it was the worst one, least good one, of the lot. In total we visited about ten breweries.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.08.2012 - 02:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Written by IronAngel on 09.08.2012 at 00:39

I like dark n strong beer but not sweet I dont like sweet beer,
When I was living in latvia one of my wa sthis (goes good whit land nuts (or what it calls) in train
Its quate sweet, but K, but when I try Estonian Saku Tuume beer same principe, lil bitter, not so sweet, I wish I could live in Eesti
Generaly I like dark beers, I have been drinking dark but in pubs there was no such chose

?S only Aldaris beer what I like other is crap from Lv I like Piebalgas, Bauskas, Tervetes, Uzavas , Valmiermuizas amd well new Aldara unfiltrate beer but it was out short time befdoe I move dto Valhalla (and Swe peer isr ehhh watter)

----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.08.2012 - 02:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Sorry the beer in that photo is extremely sweet for my tastes
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.08.2012 - 03:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.08.2012 at 02:59

Sorry the beer in that photo is extremely sweet for my tastes

Its 6.8% ... it was good at autumn day
but when I was drinking it it was some time ago, but last times it was sweet, I havent drunk it ages, so maybe now it would be way to sweet for me

have you tryd this?

Stupid Swe alcohol stores dont sell dark beers so Franzikanen Weisbeer only ;(

----

09.08.2012 - 03:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
WTF just found this

I havnt tryd all, shame on me and Lido beer is made specealy for one restaraunt, have drink it 2 times only

http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/latvbrew.htm

http://www.beerdrivel.se/?cat=39
----

11.08.2012 - 04:46
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
@baldur: What is alt beer?

@theFIST: black beer? you mean stouts? To me, it's not that I don't like them, they don't like me , I always feel sick after drinking them. Guinness is pretty popular here in The Bahamas.....not racist, but down here it's considered the "black people's drink" lol.

@Marcel: I feel the same way.....And there's no shame in being a "beer elitist". I think people who enjoy Corona are pussies

here in The Bahamas, ales are not available only during annual outdoor festivals sometimes, but not in liquor stores. Bahamians like Lager (just like most of the Caribbean) but Guinness (a stout) is popular here. This evening, since Bahamas recently won a gold medal in a relay, in certain bars I understand that there are specials on Kalik - Gold (Gold, get it?).....Kalik being our National beer, a lager.....I mean it's better than most American beers, but still so average.

......that's why I can't wait to go to Canada in a couple weeks, where REAL beer is available!
14.08.2012 - 22:58
TheMike
I've had a few different types of beer but I'm nowhere near a connoisseur, so my picks for favourites might be lame by comparison to the rest of yours. But anyway, from here in Canada three of my favourites are Mill Street Organic, a pretty light beer but tasty that's made by a brewery in Toronto, and the other two being St. Ambroise and Griffon, which come from Quebec if I'm not mistaken and are made by the same company. St. Ambroise is an apricot beer but it's not really light or sweet at all. Very interesting flavour. Griffon I know nothing about but I still really like it.
15.08.2012 - 00:34
Guib
Thrash Talker
This is definitely hard to answer I don't think there's a best beer. But If I can advertise some of my province micro-brewery

There's the brewery ''Dieu Du Ciel'' which brews pretty much any type of beer including an awesome dark beer called ''Aphrodisiac'' made with cocoa, simply awesome

Also there would be another one from Montreal ''Les Maitre Brasseur''' and of course our popular ''Unibroue''
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
15.08.2012 - 01:25
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by [user id=160] on 11.08.2012 at 04:46

@Marcel: I feel the same way.....And there's no shame in being a "beer elitist". I think people who enjoy Corona are pussies

...I mean it's better than most American beers, but still so average.

seeing as you were touting how awesome Killian's Irish Red (the mid-90s alternative to miller/coors/bud back before bars started carrying Sammy Adams, let alone the micro/craft brew explosion) was in the other booze thread recently, i'd lay off insulting what beer others drink.

don't even get me started on the "most American beers" crap, either. it's the sure sign of the beer noob spouting tired talking points. going back to praise of Killian's simply reinforces that assessment.

our craft and micro brews are so good that people like Marcel, who live in the Netherlands, next door to proud beer producing nations Belgium, Germany, and (a short pond hop) Britain gather at a place called "BEER TEMPLE" and pay more for a pint of American micro brews than I pay for a sixer here.

i'd strongly suggest just quietly taking in the advice of people who clearly have more experience with the barley soda rather than spouting off and making it pretty clear you are pretty clueless.

seeing as this is the 4th? 5th? 8th? time i've had to re-write this lecture to some metalstormer who doesn't know f-all about beer here that I should just write it up as a blog so I can hotlink it future occurrences.

and Marcel, please feel free to do a guest lecture on the subject...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.08.2012 - 01:47
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by BitterCOld on 15.08.2012 at 01:25

Written by [user id=160] on 11.08.2012 at 04:46

...I mean it's better than most American beers, but still so average.

seeing as you were touting how awesome Killian's Irish Red (the mid-90s alternative to miller/coors/bud back before bars started carrying Sammy Adams, let alone the micro/craft brew explosion) was in the other booze thread recently, i'd lay off insulting what beer others drink.

don't even get me started on the "most American beers" crap, either. it's the sure sign of the beer noob spouting tired talking points. going back to praise of Killian's simply reinforces that assessment.

our craft and micro brews are so good that people like Marcel, who live in the Netherlands, next door to proud beer producing nations Belgium, Germany, and (a short pond hop) Britain gather at a place called "BEER TEMPLE" and pay more for a pint of American micro brews than I pay for a sixer here.

i'd strongly suggest just quietly taking in the advice of people who clearly have more experience with the barley soda rather than spouting off and making it pretty clear you are pretty clueless.

seeing as this is the 4th? 5th? 8th? time i've had to re-write this lecture to some metalstormer who doesn't know f-all about beer here that I should just write it up as a blog so I can hotlink it future occurrences.

and Marcel, please feel free to do a guest lecture on the subject...

HAHAHAHAHA nice... anyways ever tried some of Quebec's Micro-brewery ?? We got alot here, its getting more and more popular nowadays, few years ago in my hometown we had a new brewery that opened, its called BDP (brasseur du temps) its great, not the best I've had but still really good and unique.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
15.08.2012 - 02:11
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Guib on 15.08.2012 at 01:47

HAHAHAHAHA nice... anyways ever tried some of Quebec's Micro-brewery ?? We got alot here, its getting more and more popular nowadays, few years ago in my hometown we had a new brewery that opened, its called BDP (brasseur du temps) its great, not the best I've had but still really good and unique.

no i have not. the one drawback to micro/craft brews is distribution networks are often very small.

In Arizona I can find a lot of California (Stone, Sierra Nevada, Coronado, others, but I generally avoid CA), Oregon (Deschutes, Rogue), Colorado (Oskar Blues, Odells, Ska, New Belgium) on top of AZ brewers (SanTan, Four Peaks, others... we're not up to par). We also get some of the larger craft brewers as well, Dogfishhead and Big Sky at supermarkets and just local stores.

At BevMo or Total Wine we'll get some more variety of micro brews, but generally larger ones.

(We also get lots of Canadian and Mexican beers, as well as some Belgian, English/Irish, Dutch, and German beers at supermarkets. Again, BevMo/TW vastly expands that field as well)

It's funny that Forged Soul (former Elite, now largely retired - in Chicago), Marcel (in NL), and I can talk Microbrews and not have even seen what the other is talking about. Marcel might see larger East Coast craft brewers sent to Beer Temple, while the OR/CO breweries I love are not yet in Chicago (aside from NB), and all Forged's discoveries don't have the distro out west yet.

although we do have a magical pizza joint here called 1702 that has 52 beers on tap and a lot more bottled. no bud/miller/coors amongst the lot. they will sometimes be the only place in the South West to carry some kegs. Best of all they don't jack the price. Marcel was astonished to see I could score some Delirium Tremens (Belgium) for maybe $1 more than he'd pay in neighboring NL, where he'll pay for a pint of our beer what I pay for a six with maybe enough change for a bomber. it is possible that it will show up there at some point, as they rotate kegs on a regular basis... they'll even open up to their Facebook audience to pick what to tap next. love that place.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.08.2012 - 02:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

The Beer Temple in Amsterdam BitterHOPPEDCraig linked to usually has a couple of Canadian beers as well. The one I really enjoyed had Cheval in the name.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.08.2012 - 02:27
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Fyi, Beer Advocate is a pretty cool site in regards to, well, beer.
----

15.08.2012 - 02:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 15.08.2012 at 02:27

Fyi, Beer Advocate is a pretty cool site in regards to, well, beer.

no wonder Westvleteren 12 is nr. 2 it is one of the rarest beers in the world which can only be bought at the monastary. And even if you go there you don't know what beer you can pick up (that is if they still have any for sale). It is the epitome for the beer collector.

My dad still has 1.5 crates (= 36 bottles) of Westvleteren 12 stored in his cellar. We only drink one each on very special occasions. Currently the batch he has there is at least 10 years old.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.08.2012 - 03:59
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I'm no expert on the subject by any means, but I do Enjoy Corona, despite what the beer elitest say
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.08.2012 - 10:03
Destryphior
I'm a huge fan of unsweetened lambic krieks (e.g. Cantillon), if it isn't a choice I usually choose weissbier, like a paulaner or franziskaner

"A gay beer for my gay friend and a normal beer for me, 'cause I'm normal"
15.08.2012 - 17:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Im decidedet, Im gonna stick only whit guinness, killkaney and Deutche lager beer , Paullanen Munchen Dunkel, Franzikanen , also live not filtrated beer. Today in sytem I bought London porter and Franizkanen beer , it was warm, and I need go home some 2km in +28¤C in sun, beer was warm, I almosu puked from London Porter(even I like porter beer) and I open Franzikanen , it was such pleasure. Good lager is possible drink warm, so nighcluns, restraunts and bars can fXck off tiull they wont serve good beers from kegs. Kalsberga nd haineken is not a beer...its a curse if you was born in country where is good beer ;( DEUTCHE LAGER UBER ALLES
----

16.08.2012 - 18:35
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.08.2012 at 02:21

The Beer Temple in Amsterdam BitterHOPPEDCraig linked to usually has a couple of Canadian beers as well. The one I really enjoyed had Cheval in the name.

You tried ''Cheval Blanc'' actually, awesome beer, its very popular around here.

and @Bitter: the ''Rogue'' brewery you mentioned I believe I actually tried an Imperial Stout from them, I think its called XS or something of the likes, it was very good.
Here we have a small place called ''L'autreoeil'' it has a menu of over 300 different beers from alot of different countries. Its great for discoveries, and I believe I tried the Rogue over there.

And for the distribution it can be frustrating at times, I recently tried a beer from where I was born, once again a Microbrewer, and he doesn't even send any beers around here... and its not that far, Idk lol money's everything I guess
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
16.08.2012 - 20:05
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Frustration is even breweries we get, we don't get all their stuff. some of the more rare releases are evil teases.

while Dechutes is pretty good about it - I've been able to find bombers of Hop Henge and Hop in the Dark, others less so. i was never able to get my hands on the limited run Clutch collabeeration with New Belgium, nor Ninkasi's Sleigh'R.

and we get New Belgium and (sometimes) Ninkasi's regular beers, although I don't think Ninkasi yet has the capacity to match demand.

unfortunately we have excess of Rogue's project with Voodoo Donuts , which has an intriguing smell, but is horribly disappointing before one takes into account the $11.99/bomber price tag.

for the most part i don't bother terribly in keeping up with any brewery that isn't available here. no point in teasing myself. besides, it's not like i don't already have tons of awesome stuff.
----

16.08.2012 - 20:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 16.08.2012 at 20:05

$11.99/bomber price tag.

how many cc is a bomber?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.08.2012 - 20:25
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.08.2012 at 20:19

how many cc is a bomber?

cc? no idea.

usually 1 pint, 6 ounces/22 ounces/650ml.
----

16.08.2012 - 21:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 16.08.2012 at 20:25

usually 1 pint, 6 ounces/22 ounces/650ml.

aha those sort of bottles. I had them over at the Beer Temple and paid a small fortune hahaha
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.08.2012 - 23:18
Yellax
This question is a tad too suggestive as people have their own personal tastes. I however enjoy French Canadian beer (La Fin Du Monde is a fine example)
----
I'm a furry. Get used to it.