Metal Storm logo
Favorite music genre outside metal

Original post

Posted by tulkas, 05.03.2007 - 04:41
It's obvious in this web page we are brought toghether by one music genre, but what about the rest?
I wanted to know which are your other favorite musical genres out side metal (if you have any), and if you may want to comment why.
I didn't create a poll so it could be more open, besides I wouldn't be able to fill all the possible genres, so...
Ok, so, just feel free to discuss this and tell what you think
02.08.2008 - 03:55
ß
Problem?
Ambient for me I feel really relxed when I listen to it.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
03.08.2008 - 08:16
thesabbathfan
Classic Rock and The Blues!
----
04.08.2008 - 22:43
Knightrider
The Sorcerer
I am very much into classical music, like to listen Beethoven, Wagner, Dvorak.......and of course Lotr soundtracks.
08.08.2008 - 01:44
rockonronson
Account deleted
I actually have a thing for underground hip hop ever since I went to Rock the Bells last year. Went to see Rage but really liked the underground peeps.
11.08.2008 - 20:22
MathC
Account deleted
IDM, trip-hop, electronica and rap I guess.
14.08.2008 - 16:06
Warman
Erotic Stains
I have fallen in love with "raggar"-music. (Raggare (a Swedish word roughly corresponding to the English term "pick-up artist", i.e., a person seeking sexual contact with someone) is a subculture found mostly in Sweden and parts of Norway and Finland, Denmark, Germany and Austria.). Eddie Meduza is king, there's nothing better to listen to during parties than his stupid songs about women, sex, cars and alcohol. Ronny & Ragge are favourites too. Two characters from a famous comedy serie from the early '90s, they're idols to me. I don't know why this sudden love for raggare, but my aunt were one in her youth. Maybe I have it in my blood? Damn, I forgot to describe the music... well, a mix of rock, country and some pop melodies... it can be very different from artist to artist. The most important thing is the image... cars and babes.
----
14.08.2008 - 17:19
MathC
Account deleted
That sounds retarded.
15.08.2008 - 19:32
Janne
Hugin
I like hungarian red punk bands, and I like hungarian extreme right skinhead bands too.
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
17.08.2008 - 16:35
Opethienne
Account deleted
hmm Blues Jazz Funk, Little Gnaoua or fusion a Local music who introduce rock or blues or jazz with moroccain or saharien or africain music, like an heritage, from old slaves!
18.08.2008 - 04:52
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Warman on 14.08.2008 at 16:06

I have fallen in love with "raggar"-music. (Raggare (a Swedish word roughly corresponding to the English term "pick-up artist", i.e., a person seeking sexual contact with someone) is a subculture found mostly in Sweden and parts of Norway and Finland, Denmark, Germany and Austria.). Eddie Meduza is king, there's nothing better to listen to during parties than his stupid songs about women, sex, cars and alcohol. Ronny & Ragge are favourites too. Two characters from a famous comedy serie from the early '90s, they're idols to me. I don't know why this sudden love for raggare, but my aunt were one in her youth. Maybe I have it in my blood? Damn, I forgot to describe the music... well, a mix of rock, country and some pop melodies... it can be very different from artist to artist. The most important thing is the image... cars and babes.

got a webstite were I can listen to it? Sounds fun.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
18.08.2008 - 14:10
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 18.08.2008 at 04:52

Well, you've already heard one "raggar"-song. Remember when you asked what song I had on my latest facebook video? That's a pretty "poppy" raggar-song. And the lyrics are mostly in Swedish and they are very important for the songs, so I really have a hard time seeing how you would enjoy it.
----
18.08.2008 - 19:17
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Warman on 18.08.2008 at 14:10

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 18.08.2008 at 04:52

Well, you've already heard one "raggar"-song. Remember when you asked what song I had on my latest facebook video? That's a pretty "poppy" raggar-song. And the lyrics are mostly in Swedish and they are very important for the songs, so I really have a hard time seeing how you would enjoy it.

I didin't say it was not good, nor fun. It simply got me by surprise. I was like "WTF, Warman has gone insane"
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

18.08.2008 - 19:19
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 18.08.2008 at 19:17

I didin't say it was not good, nor fun. It simply got me by surprise. I was like "WTF, Warman has gone insane"

Hahaha, I can imagine that. Well, just search for "Eddie Meduza" at youtube if you wanna hear what sort of non-metal music I listen too.
----
18.08.2008 - 19:22
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Warman on 18.08.2008 at 19:19

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 18.08.2008 at 19:17

Hahaha, I can imagine that. Well, just search for "Eddie Meduza" at youtube if you wanna hear what sort of non-metal music I listen too.

Thanks, I will!
----

28.08.2008 - 18:33
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
bay area ass hyphy music is hiLOLrious to listen to, namely Mac Mall. Mac Mall is br00tal with two zeros, hes just that guy. hyphy music and southern rap are what i listen to most when im not listening to metal.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
29.08.2008 - 08:24
Oracle
Orcinus
I love folk music.. Sometimes ill listen to it rather than metal but i have to be in the mood for it though.
29.08.2008 - 12:30
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by [user id=26446] on 28.08.2008 at 14:00

For me it's definitely Australian Hip Hop, I love that shit so much and it means so much to me also. I can relate to it in a way that so many of us can, cause it deals with issues we all seem to go through like finding yourself and drugs.

There is so many talented bands in this scene such as Hilltop Hoods, Art Of War and Bliss And Eso to name a few of the best ones, and some of the songs these dudes have written are so powerful and make me feel so much inside like What The Seasons Change, The Calling, Recapturing The Vibe, The Hard Road by Hilltop Hoods, Reflections by Art Of War and Bullet And A Target by Bliss And Eso to mention some of my absolute favourite songs from these artists.

It has become part of me and I can never let go of this scene ever.

Checked Art Of War and The Hilltop Hoods and they're great man. Exactly the type of rap I was looking for. I'll definitely be listening to more of this the coming time.

Cheers!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
29.08.2008 - 13:28
Opethienne
Account deleted
I forget Celtic sounds and New age like yanni etc...
29.08.2008 - 22:00
Nazeef
VIVA TRIP-HOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
31.08.2008 - 00:44
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Nazeef on 29.08.2008 at 22:00

At last, another Trip-Hop fan! What do you think of the new Portishead album? I have it on vinyl, sick!
----
(space for rent)
31.08.2008 - 19:27
Nazeef
Written by Dane Train on 31.08.2008 at 00:44

Written by Nazeef on 29.08.2008 at 22:00

At last, another Trip-Hop fan! What do you think of the new Portishead album? I have it on vinyl, sick!

I am a die-heart portishead fun, the new album was quiet good for the first listening, but I'll go into its depths for the next coming months... by now, I'm discovering the frensh project "ALIAS" they have an album named "Muted" and it holds songs that haunts... indeed, Archive, Mum and lamb are colonizing my trip-hop tracklist for this period, portishead...I'll keep them for winter

I like Dum n' Bass tooooo!!!! what about you?
----
31.08.2008 - 21:13
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Nazeef on 31.08.2008 at 19:27

I am a die-heart portishead fun, the new album was quiet good for the first listening, but I'll go into its depths for the next coming months... by now, I'm discovering the frensh project "ALIAS" they have an album named "Muted" and it holds songs that haunts... indeed, Archive, Mum and lamb are colonizing my trip-hop tracklist for this period, portishead...I'll keep them for winter

I really dig Lamb. They have some great stuff. I don't really got into the whol D n B stuff. I have several friends who DJ and are all about that style.

Have you heard Paatos yet? They mix Prog Rock with Trip Hop. Steven Wilson produced some of their material. I really dig their music.
----
(space for rent)
31.08.2008 - 21:27
Nazeef
Written by Dane Train on 31.08.2008 at 21:13

Written by Nazeef on 31.08.2008 at 19:27

I really dig Lamb. They have some great stuff. I don't really got into the whol D n B stuff. I have several friends who DJ and are all about that style.

Have you heard Paatos yet? They mix Prog Rock with Trip Hop. Steven Wilson produced some of their material. I really dig their music.

oh, thanks for the information, it sounds really tempting, anything that Steven Wilson's involved in I'm certainly interested in...
about drum n bass, I select my tracks, you know, no hardcore nor boring same beat.. but there is a kind of connection between trip-hop and drum n bass, there are kind of great fusions...drum n bass can be as creative as trip but most of that leaks to our ears is kinda boring..you have to make some effort....
The Polish Technical Brutal Death Metal "Yattering" has achieved a strange electronic album, it is their last one, named "3", it is trip and dnb n industrial, it's really cool...
----
12.10.2008 - 07:03
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Other than movies and games soundtracks, I hear Folk and some Celtic acoustic bands.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
12.10.2008 - 12:07
Elio
Red Nightmare
mmm...Prog Rock, some Indie, some Folk a bit of Ambient and Classical.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
17.10.2008 - 13:12
Yossarian
I choose what was called Trip-Hop or Bristol sound. Portishead, Massive Attack, Laika...
17.10.2008 - 13:44
Leonidas
I listen to greek rock music.We may not have such a tradition in metal music as other countries (besides Rotting Christ and Nightfall) but we do have a tradition (especially in Northern Greece) in rock music that begins in the late 70's early 80's influeced mostly from the british and american wave of the time.Actually there are many remarkable bands till today here in Greece with the most representive imo a band called Trypes (though they don't play anymore together each member took it's way after nearly 20 years os activity).In fact why don't you check them out and let me know what you think.Take a look here www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovOXR2MBIUA .It's a song called Into the other's night from the last album they released in 1999 before the band disrupts in 2001.If anyone wants more information or even maybe a translation from the lyrics just ask.Please let me know you're opinion.
23.10.2008 - 08:23
mortjoyeux
Mmm I really enjoy dark ambient/crust punk and classical music.
Most of the time dark ambient/crust punk have similar elements with black metal which I listen to daily so that fits in. Classical music just really relaxes me.
23.10.2008 - 17:47
vulgar talent
Prog rock and hardcore!!
27.10.2008 - 04:48
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by vulgar talent on 23.10.2008 at 17:47

hardcore!!

which is metal...