Metal Storm logo
The most difficult genre to get into

Original post

Posted by Bitch Boy, 16.03.2007 - 01:25
I was considering to open this thread in the Metal Arena, but I think that this is not a battle at all, instead, I opened this to see which genre do you consider the hardest to get into, based on your own experience and on what you have heard/read from other people.

I know that many people seem to take a lot to get into progressive metal, for example, and I don't know why, but I supposed it's because this whole experimentation with complex structures and stuff. In the other hand, and based on the number of fans of each band, I can see that doom metal is one of the most "unpopular" (¿?) or the hardest genre to get into for most of the people here in Metal Storm (especially funeral doom).

The genre that has taken me the most to get into is death metal, basically the pure death, technical death and brutal death. I don't know why this happens to me as I don't dislike grunts, and I would say that the only death metal form I appreciate is melo-death (including gothenburg) or death metal fusions with other genres like death/doom or death/prog.

So, what do you think it is the most difficult genre to get in?
22.05.2008 - 00:34
Freezer
I think black metal is the hardest metal genre to get into. Not only because of the "sound" violence, but also for the themes, the production (not always state-of-the-art ). It's not for everybody
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
23.05.2008 - 10:31
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
Written by Freezer on 22.05.2008 at 00:34

I think black metal is the hardest metal genre to get into. Not only because of the "sound" violence, but also for the themes, the production (not always state-of-the-art ). It's not for everybody

go listen to Burzum album Filosofem and you will see that it is not that hard to get into BM.

for me, the hardest genre to get into is funeral doom...i simply cant understand it...
maybe death is hard to get into but i havent listened to a lot dm stuff so icant judge... i like Therion and Death
i dont understand melodeath but from what i have listened , every ellitist says that that all sux xD
23.05.2008 - 11:12
Trinstar
I'm going with Funeral Doom, and I find that rather fitting because I'll be at my own damn funeral by the time I can stand listening to that mess! Like, dude, we knew what an E power chord sounded like in 1969. Let's try a new one in the next few minutes or so.
----
Every one of us has heard the call
Brothers of True Metal, proud and standing tall
We know the power within us has brought us to this hall
There's magic in the metal; there's magic is us all
23.05.2008 - 15:04
Freezer
Written by Metalhead2 on 23.05.2008 at 10:31

Written by Freezer on 22.05.2008 at 00:34

go listen to Burzum album Filosofem and you will see that it is not that hard to get into BM.

for me, the hardest genre to get into is funeral doom...i simply cant understand it...
maybe death is hard to get into but i havent listened to a lot dm stuff so icant judge... i like Therion and Death
i dont understand melodeath but from what i have listened , every ellitist says that that all sux xD

oh yes, I was not meaning that I find it difficult. Only that probably it is the most difficult genre to get into, especially for people who don't "agree" with the concepts.
----
23.05.2008 - 21:59
immaculate
Account deleted
i think that black metal is the hardest to get into...im trying but i just cant find any bands that i really like they all sound the same to me.
24.05.2008 - 00:55
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
then get Filosofem by Burzum, the first 2 songs will pretty much get you into it.
24.05.2008 - 02:32
Gordon Freeman
Written by VPeter on 22.05.2008 at 00:18

Written by X-Ray Rod on 09.05.2008 at 19:38

Drone metal... If you have not pacience... this genre isn't for you. As simple as that.

even if you have patience, it's not worth it - for me drone is always an useless genre, especially if you like ambient.

I agree with you that prog metal is boring, still I wil recommend Devin Townsend since he concentraits more on atmosphere then being an techinical jackass band such as Dream Theater.

I also find Thrash metal hard to really enjoy, it gets boring fast after the first 4 songs.

I get the feeling you pretty much hate everything huh?
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
24.05.2008 - 02:48
VPeter
Written by Gordon Freeman on 24.05.2008 at 02:32

Drone metal... If you have not pacience... this genre isn't for you. As simple as that.

even if you have patience, it's not worth it - for me drone is always an useless genre, especially if you like ambient.

I agree with you that prog metal is boring, still I wil recommend Devin Townsend since he concentraits more on atmosphere then being an techinical jackass band such as Dream Theater.

I also find Thrash metal hard to really enjoy, it gets boring fast after the first 4 songs.

it may sometimes like that but it isn't really like that, the only reall genre I can't stand is metalcore.
24.05.2008 - 02:52
Gordon Freeman
Written by VPeter on 24.05.2008 at 02:48

Written by Gordon Freeman on 24.05.2008 at 02:32

it may sometimes like that but it isn't really like that, the only reall genre I can't stand is metalcore.

I'm just ratteling your chain. I guess you remind me of some of the guys I would mess with on the forums I used to haunt. Cool guys, but they were still a bunch of snobs when it came to metal...but that's all right.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

24.05.2008 - 03:00
Vunts
Well...for me, progressive metal. I just don´'t see what's special about it. Oh wow, you incorporate pop and classical and metal and <insert random genre> and make really good long quitar solos, show off individual skills on an instrument and think you're awesome...
That could be fine, if the songwriting was as good as the individual skill...
I have listened to both of the world wide renowned prog metal bands Dream Theater and Opeth and also random albums from bands I don't remember. Aaaanyways, both Opeth and DT bore me to death. BORE me. Note that this sentence comes from someone who enjoys funeral doom immensely.

Prog is basically the only metal genre that I´ve not gotten a grip of during a,,,,4 or so years.
24.05.2008 - 10:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Vunts on 24.05.2008 at 03:00

Well...for me, progressive metal. I just don´'t see what's special about it. Oh wow, you incorporate pop and classical and metal and <insert random genre> and make really good long quitar solos and think you're awesome...

I us eto like it but now I dont like those thinks are boring, ok Opeth and Psychotic Waltz I LOVE those 2 also armenian brothers Sworn but generaly Prog arfe boring, tahy just play instruments so complicated and songs are to long(even I love long songs) damn Ac/Dc all life play primitive and I enver had bored, but DT whatever ... word cup in chass be more fun
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.05.2008 - 10:09
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
i like only new Enslaved from prog sometimes...but sometimes only... and Opeth sometimes. And I agree that DT :sleep::sleep: sux. So fucking stupid solos omg noone normal cant stand them.

Back on topic, it is easy to get into prog, especially if you are metal newbie because you just have to listen to the album 4-5 times and you will start to like it, trust me :]:sleep::sleep::sleep:
24.05.2008 - 10:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Metalhead2 on 24.05.2008 at 10:09

i like only new Enslaved from prog sometimes...but sometimes only... and Opeth sometimes. And I agree that DT :sleep::sleep: sux. So fucking stupid solos omg noone normal cant stand them.

Back on topic, it is easy to get into prog, especially if you are metal newbie because you just have to listen to the album 4-5 times and you will start to like it, trust me :]:sleep::sleep::sleep:

But Enslaved ha sblack/viking influences so its more belongs to black family how prog family and its simmilar like Borknogar
----

24.05.2008 - 23:46
Czanek
Account deleted
Speaking of unpopular genres.

Can you guys direct me towards any really good instrumental metal?

I'd love to hear something like Between the Buried and Me - Selkies: The Endless Obsession.

BUT, only instrumental stuff.

Some stuff I like:

Canvas Solaris
Electro Quarterstaff...etc.

Thanks ahead of time.
25.05.2008 - 09:36
Freezer
Written by [user id=32873] on 24.05.2008 at 23:46

Speaking of unpopular genres.

Can you guys direct me towards any really good instrumental metal?

I'd love to hear something like Between the Buried and Me - Selkies: The Endless Obsession.

BUT, only instrumental stuff.

Some stuff I like:

Canvas Solaris
Electro Quarterstaff...etc.

Thanks ahead of time.

You can try Pelican, even though it is not properly "metal"
----
26.05.2008 - 06:09
Czanek
Account deleted
Thanks Freezer.

I have some pelican stuff already and its not quite what I'm looking for.

I need it heavier and melodic.

Can anybody help me out?
26.05.2008 - 17:30
Charly546
Maybe you'd want to check out Spastik Ink? Extremely techincal metal, not very heavy (though it's a very loose term), has its moments of melodies. Check out their album "Ink Complete".
26.05.2008 - 18:10
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by Charly546 on 26.05.2008 at 17:30

Maybe you'd want to check out Spastik Ink? Extremely techincal metal, not very heavy (though it's a very loose term), has its moments of melodies. Check out their album "Ink Complete".

Haha Spastik Ink what a funny band XD Honestly the are so technical that it becomes silly XD (Bambi song FTW!)
----
26.05.2008 - 18:14
Gordon Freeman
Written by Bad English on 24.05.2008 at 10:15

But Enslaved ha sblack/viking influences so its more belongs to black family how prog family and its simmilar like Borknogar

Actually, the last couple of Enslaved albums have shown the band starting to pull away from black metal. And they've dropped the Viking influence all together (except for a few of their lyrics) and have started incorporating elements similar to late 70's early 80's prog rock bands.
----

27.05.2008 - 16:46
TheBigRossowski
Written by Gordon Freeman on 26.05.2008 at 18:14

Written by Bad English on 24.05.2008 at 10:15

Actually, the last couple of Enslaved albums have shown the band starting to pull away from black metal. And they've dropped the Viking influence all together (except for a few of their lyrics) and have started incorporating elements similar to late 70's early 80's prog rock bands.

Sounds good though! Well, I can't speak for EVERY song, but some of them like "Ruun", "Essence" and Below the Light's very own "As Fire Swept clean the Earth". Ruun is like the black metal "Blackwater Park" to me. Still a big fan of Enslaved..
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
27.05.2008 - 18:30
Gordon Freeman
Written by TheBigRossowski on 27.05.2008 at 16:46

Sounds good though! Well, I can't speak for EVERY song, but some of them like "Ruun", "Essence" and Below the Light's very own "As Fire Swept clean the Earth". Ruun is like the black metal "Blackwater Park" to me. Still a big fan of Enslaved..

Oh, no doubt man. Isa and Ruun are my favorite Enslaved albums.
----

29.05.2008 - 04:46
-Valhalla-
It has to be drone metal, bands like sunn o}}} sound like a bunch of clicking and buzzing at 1 mile (1.6KM) per hour. It's fucking boring, and theres really not much too it. I really tried but then i noticed, i don't need to buy a cd if i wanted to hear untempo'ed buzzing.
----
A decapitated head could remain conscious for up to 30 seconds after being removed, offering the victim a truly unique perspective on the world for those last few moments.
06.06.2008 - 19:39
Conservationist
Classical music.
06.06.2008 - 19:48
owl
Written by -Valhalla- on 29.05.2008 at 04:46

It has to be drone metal, bands like sunn o}}}

I subscribe that. It's a genre I'm not theoretical enought (yet) to grasp. But I'm not in a hurry.
----
09.06.2008 - 09:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Conservationist on 06.06.2008 at 19:39

Classical music.

METAL GENER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is about metal genre
----

09.06.2008 - 16:28
thvnderforge
i can't really get into that many thrash metal nbands or doom metal. i mena i listen to like overkill and candalmass but besides that these top genres just bore me
20.06.2008 - 22:49
-Soulreaper-
For me it would have to be Grindcore. I just dont really understand it. I love death, thrash, black, prog, power, melo-death, and every other sub genre that has to deal with the main ones I mentioned, but to me Grindcore is just really difficult to get into.
26.06.2008 - 06:42
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by -Soulreaper- on 20.06.2008 at 22:49

For me it would have to be Grindcore. I just dont really understand it. I love death, thrash, black, prog, power, melo-death, and every other sub genre that has to deal with the main ones I mentioned, but to me Grindcore is just really difficult to get into.

I don't see how you can't like Grindcore if you like death metal, very similar, but they do have their differences. I guess you can see grindcore as a more simple version of death metal, more straight forward, then again people can come down my throat with Cephalic Carnage.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
27.06.2008 - 03:51
sq_xeper
For me its Folk metal and sometimes Doom metal. The first one 'cause its has too much influence about the culture of one country and if you're not very familiar with it its more difficult to get into IMO, and I get bored when i listen to some bands of the genre, of course some are from another genre like black metal and they have a lo of influence of folk and they use it all the time and thats all right but I dont like the pure sound of folk metal bands. And I've tried to listen some doom metal bands but i get really bored with all those long pauses, long songs, sometimes the weird atmospheres, etc., they're definetely not for me...
----
The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight...
28.06.2008 - 13:04
Candlemass
Defaeco
Alternative Metal/AvantGarde.
Technical Death Metal.
Funeral Doom metal.
Old School.

Lets say like Gorguts - Obscura.