Metal Storm logo
The most difficult genre to get into

Original post

Posted by Bitch Boy, 16.03.2007 - 01:25
I was considering to open this thread in the Metal Arena, but I think that this is not a battle at all, instead, I opened this to see which genre do you consider the hardest to get into, based on your own experience and on what you have heard/read from other people.

I know that many people seem to take a lot to get into progressive metal, for example, and I don't know why, but I supposed it's because this whole experimentation with complex structures and stuff. In the other hand, and based on the number of fans of each band, I can see that doom metal is one of the most "unpopular" (¿?) or the hardest genre to get into for most of the people here in Metal Storm (especially funeral doom).

The genre that has taken me the most to get into is death metal, basically the pure death, technical death and brutal death. I don't know why this happens to me as I don't dislike grunts, and I would say that the only death metal form I appreciate is melo-death (including gothenburg) or death metal fusions with other genres like death/doom or death/prog.

So, what do you think it is the most difficult genre to get in?
05.07.2008 - 22:41
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
For me its Stoner Metal and Doom Metal, sure theres some great bands, but I can just never get into them.
22.08.2008 - 06:02
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
one word
COUNTRY
if you can even get into that shit
22.08.2008 - 10:27
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
Written by [user id=23805] on 22.08.2008 at 10:25

Written by [user id=34145] on 22.08.2008 at 06:02

one word
COUNTRY

Country metal?

Woops i fucked up i didnt fully read the topic
the most difficult genre of metal for me personally is black metal i never really felt it.
22.08.2008 - 10:35
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
Written by [user id=23805] on 22.08.2008 at 10:32

Written by [user id=34145] on 22.08.2008 at 10:27

one word
COUNTRY

Country metal?

Woops i fucked up i didnt fully read the topic
the most difficult genre of metal for me personally is black metal i never really felt it.

Haha...

I only recently found myself enjoying Black Metal. The least accessible genres are definitely Black, Death, Prog, Doom and Folk. Not necessarily in that order. I listen to it all though.

i enjoy prog,doom,death
but folk i dont really like its growing on me though.
but recently i've been listing to some of my friends favorite deathcore bands and im starting to get into deathcore.
22.08.2008 - 17:16
Charly546
The least accessible genre is traditional metal. Most people just check most popular bands and move on from those to some other metal subgenre (that is if the started at traditional metal anyway). I don't think that there are many people who listen to traditional metal and have even dug deeper than the most popular bands...
22.08.2008 - 19:27
Charly546
Written by [user id=23805] on 22.08.2008 at 17:28

Written by Charly546 on 22.08.2008 at 17:16

The least accessible genre is traditional metal. Most people just check most popular bands and move on from those to some other metal subgenre (that is if the started at traditional metal anyway). I don't think that there are many people who listen to traditional metal and have even dug deeper than the most popular bands...

That's a thought.....I request further explanation.

Alright, I'll try to elaborate a bit. I've noticed that people usually get into metal by either from nu-metal/metalcore bands and from there to extreme metal or some wellknown band, such as Iron Maiden or Metallica and from there to either extreme metal again or power/progressive metal. Melodeath is an option too, for as the first exposure or as chosen subgenre. Usually from there people move on to extreme metal again.

Now there's a huge road not taken there: traditional metal. Sure, there are the wellknown bands everybody knows and, if not loves, but respects at least (Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Dio, Motörhead, maybe Accept, Scorpions, probably few others which I left out too). But that's all usually for traditional metal. Other traditional metal bands remain even more underground than most not-so-known thrash/death/black metal bands.

Brocas Helm anyone? Sword (Can)? The whole US Power Metal genre? Anvil? NWOBHM besides Saxon, Angel Witch? Heck, even WASP is virtually unknown by many people who known more black metal bands than I can even dream of. Dutch bands such as Vortex, Vault?

My point is that new metal listeners usually move quickly to extreme/power/prog/doom metal than traditional metal. It's the step that's quickly moved away from, if stepped at all.
22.08.2008 - 20:16
Ragana
Rawrcat

one word
COUNTRY

Country metal?

Lol.

Hm, for me it could be.. Speed Metal. I'm thinking about Dragonforce. And then there's that freaky Stoner Metal.. I'm not into pure Thrash and Heavy Metal either.
22.08.2008 - 20:55
Ragana
Rawrcat
Okay, but I can't like it, if I don't understand what's so interesting about that genre. Few weeks ago I heard Down in live (actually I ran away from the stage and went to get some beer, because the music was more or less just awful) and all that I can say - I'm not into Stoner Metal. And I don't want to hear that Down isn't really Stoner, but Sludge Stoner (if the information in MS is right). What's the difference? Stoner anyway.

A lot concentration to enjoy? Anaal Nathrakh.
23.08.2008 - 01:01
For me it's Power Metal, I just cant get it.
----
23.08.2008 - 15:03
Opethienne
Account deleted
I listen to all, but i don't like RAC NSBM AND others genre , I'm not into !
23.08.2008 - 16:43
Janne
Hugin
Progressive metal... it's very hard to liseten to it for me. maybe once a month I try it but I must always realise that I can't love this genre.
The other for me is anything nu,industrial, core, etc. these are not really Metal for me.
24.08.2008 - 16:34
Elio
Red Nightmare
To me metalcore is the most difficult genre to get into...then gothic and doom.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
25.08.2008 - 16:00
Jigoku Shoujo
Account deleted
I'd say doom and funeral doom are for me the most difficult to get into. I had problems with death and grindcore, but I'm getting used to it. Actually I start to enjoy brutal death metal nowadays. Hope someday I'll enjoy doom also.
27.08.2008 - 19:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=27018] on 25.08.2008 at 16:00

I'd say doom and funeral doom are for me the most difficult to get into. I had problems with death and grindcore, but I'm getting used to it. Actually I start to enjoy brutal death metal nowadays. Hope someday I'll enjoy doom also.

Agree, Doom isn't a genre for everyone. Specially since the slow riffs and music in general tend to turn off a lot of people. I'm the opposite of course, I love Doom [every subgenre of it as well]

A style that from the beginning was hard for me to get into is Drone Doom... But now I'm very fine listening to this kind of music. But it's a "love it or hate it" genre.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass

Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

27.08.2008 - 22:01
Sorg
Account deleted
I'd say Power metal, folk metal, and gothic/symphonic metal for me.
28.08.2008 - 01:01
Iron Priest
anything with cookie monster as a frontman. I appreciate in small doses though (like in the background underlining a real singer)
29.08.2008 - 13:06
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
For me the most difficult-to-get-into genre's are the unoriginal ones, mostly melodic death and metalcore. It's difficult to maintain interest in a band/album/song when you've heard it all before a thousand times before. Literally speaking however the hardest to get into genres would be the ones that eschew conventional structure. Seeing as even the most brutal death band, the lowest fidelity black metal and or slowest doom band all still operate under a similar structure most people can eventually get their head round them. For that reason alone noise is probably the most difficult genre to swallow.
19.10.2008 - 20:09
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
That time I'm only listening extreme metal. I can't find a reason to enjoy grindcore. Black and brutal death sometimes make me feel the same way. Black because I don't like the productions, because black bands try to sound putrius which is called 'atmosphere'. And Brutal death some times because the vocalists are growling really bad.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
23.10.2008 - 01:55
gocasaca
For me it was hardest to get into prog, and stil is when I hear something new. Especialy combined with death.
24.10.2008 - 02:55
kkktookmybaby
Written by Deadmeat on 19.10.2008 at 20:09

That time I'm only listening extreme metal. I can't find a reason to enjoy grindcore. Black and brutal death sometimes make me feel the same way. Black because I don't like the productions, because black bands try to sound putrius which is called 'atmosphere'. And Brutal death some times because the vocalists are growling really bad.

jajaja yeahh i know what you meann
24.10.2008 - 02:57
mortjoyeux
I can't get in to most folk metal bands, or prog/nu metal. do not wanttttt
24.10.2008 - 03:10
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
For me its Power Metal. A lot of the more popular bands in the genre are just so fucking corny, unoriginal and lack depth and good lyrical content. To me the music is just there and demotes any kind of expansion or thinking. There are exceptions of course but there's exceptions in almost every genre.
It may be the way that I listen to music but I just can't get into it... but maybe I don't want to
----
Coldgrits
24.10.2008 - 03:50
Hrothdane
I haven't had an interest in extreme, alternative, or doom metal really. I just can't get into it. Depressive or ridiculously angry music doesn't spark any real interest in me. Its not that I want all the music I listen to to sound like manowar (I don't even listen to them). Melancholy and rage are great in doses but I don't want to feel consumed by them.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
24.10.2008 - 23:38
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...i think it's technical death metal...maybe it's the hardest genre to get into and like...

...i was trying to get into black metal because several ppl have told me it's great and stuff but nop i just can't get into it, i don't like it at all...i may even like it less each time i hear it...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
25.10.2008 - 01:14
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I would have to go with Doom metal, honestly i haven't listened to much of it at all, but whenever i tried to explore the genre i would get a little bored and annoyed, what's that bands name ... Draconian i think, really boring. I had a hard time with My Dying Bride also, maybe there's just not enough going on in doom for me to like it.
I cringe at power metal when i hear the high pitched dramatic vocals, with verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo, dragons and warriors type of stuff.
I will also admit that some Grindcore is fucking savage and hard to like but i do enjoy a fair amount of bands from this genre.
Apart from that black metal i enjoy in small doses as long as its good and most of the time i'm listening to death metal (brutal, technical, what not) as well as some avantgarde stuff (Pelican, Isis, Baroness, Battle of Mice) etc.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
28.10.2008 - 23:20
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
I cant listen to Doom metal...its slow and boring - i hate slow music, doesnt matter what it is. I can stand slow songs by bands who have diversity but to sit through 45 minutes listening to something that feels more like its 3days and 45 minutes long just doesnt sit well with me.

Also cant get into grindcore and all those rediculously noisy music which hold no purpose at all.
02.11.2008 - 09:51
Demigodc
Definitely Raw Black Metal, bands like Darkthrone and Ulver, at first I couldn't stand the horrible production but then I realize that this is what black metal its all about.
09.11.2008 - 11:45
Drizzling Blur
Account deleted
Interesting thread, such a subjective one though.

I would agree with Raw Black Metal, maybe it's just the production that i dislike, got to give it more time though.
09.11.2008 - 23:11
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
Mmm if it has been really hard to get into Black Metal i cant even imagine what Raw Black Metal would be :S
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
09.11.2008 - 23:21
arwestromen
Grindcore must be one of the tuffest genres to get into....i can't see the point of it also death and black metal.....
what is raw black metal? is it like underground black metal?
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA