Metal Storm logo
Extraterrestrial life

Poll

Do you believe in the possible existance of any extraterrestrial life?

Yes
No

Total votes: 70
20.06.2006 - 23:00
CrematorY
Account deleted
Very curious, I would like to ask you guys about your opinion in the possibility of existance of any extraterrestrial life (ET) in the ever-expanding boundless universe surrounding us... Weather your answer is yes or no, please support your opinion, and give reason to your choice.

I personally believe in the existance of extraterrestrial life out there, well for many reasons, one of which is that our galaxy, that is the Milky Way (which is of avarage size compared to other galaxies), contains approximately 200 billion stars, one of which is our sun itself. Surrounding our Milky way is approximately 186 billion galaxies, containing a couple of billion stars more or less. Well with this large number of stars (which may cause the possibility or impossibilty of the existance and survival of another life), there is a large possibility for life to evolve in this universe.
Here is a formula that interested me a lot and might interest you too. It is written by the famous astronomer Frank Drake:

N = N* fp ne fl fi fc fL

Where:
N* represents # of stars in the Milky Way Galaxy
fp is the fraction of stars that have planets around them
ne is the # of planets per star that are capable of sustaining life
fl is the fraction of planets in ne where life evolves
fi is the fraction of fl where intelligent life evolves
fc is the fraction of fi that communicate
fL is fraction of the planet's life during which the communicating civilizations live
N the # of communicating civilizations in the galaxy

The following formula calculates the number of communicating civilizations in a certain galaxy, and i think its very rational...
So what do you fellows think and why?
20.06.2006 - 23:58
Valentin B
Iconoclast
it's simply impossible not for et life to exist.it simply defies all logic.multiply 200.000.000.000 with 186.000.000.000 and you'll get 372 * 10(exponent 10)
so,372 trillion stars, out of wich if even one had life,besides ours,the question to "is there et life?" is yes.so yes...
21.06.2006 - 03:41
Daru Jericho
I believe in them but my belief is a very simple one; space is so vast that it seems absurd to think we are the only intelligent life form out there.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

21.06.2006 - 07:05
Ibanez07
Account deleted
For as long as I can remember I've fixated and thought about the unkown, and extraterrestrial life has been one of the most prevelamt questions running through my mind. I do though, believe whole heartedly that there is life out there, but it will be a very long time before [or if it all] we reach them. Hopefully WE reach THEM first, or else, we will be nothing more than the Aztecs facing the Conquistadores on a technological level, but years later.

Also what seems to intrigue me the most, is that over the years various nations have seemed to of been able to explain every possible "contact" with the unknown we've had, or at least rationalize it. All, but one. Does anybody remember/know anything about that "data burst" they recieved about 15 years ago in Puerto Rico? I'd love to learn more about it, I just heard about it from my dad and cannot find anything about it.
21.06.2006 - 08:20
eleftheria
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5724] on 21.06.2006 at 07:05

For as long as I can remember I've fixated and thought about the unkown, and extraterrestrial life has been one of the most prevelamt questions running through my mind. I do though, believe whole heartedly that there is life out there, but it will be a very long time before [or if it all] we reach them. Hopefully WE reach THEM first, or else, we will be nothing more than the Aztecs facing the Conquistadores on a technological level, but years later.

Also what seems to intrigue me the most, is that over the years various nations have seemed to of been able to explain every possible "contact" with the unknown we've had, or at least rationalize it. All, but one. Does anybody remember/know anything about that "data burst" they recieved about 15 years ago in Puerto Rico? I'd love to learn more about it, I just heard about it from my dad and cannot find anything about it.

You meant the 'Wow!' signal? Check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wow%21_signal
21.06.2006 - 09:40
Damnated
Churchburner
I do belive in extraterestial life as long as we're talking about micro-organisms, but I just can't belive that other humanoid craetors live out there, but if humanoids do exist, IMO they were created to kill us. I mean they would be a copy of humans, and this is not some egocentric thought, cuz if you look at a human, biologicaly, you'll see, that it is pretty damn perfect. And because you can't make perfect twice, alinens would be copies.

But I don't see the reason for an alien to exist (I don't see ours either).
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
21.06.2006 - 11:56
Valentin B
Iconoclast
@damnated this is a thread about if you believe in E.T. but it's simply impossible not ot have another civilized lifeform in the whole universe(even if it would be a one in a billion longshot,there still would be thousands of life forms like us...
plus humans aren't perfect.there is no such thing as perfect put a human in a pool full of aligators and he gets eaten.or maybe even one aligator...
quote:But I don't see the reason for an alien to exist (I don't see ours either)
well,there is no reason,but if he exists,you/he can do nothing about it...so you're gonna try and kill everyone in the world and then yourself? you said something like this on the "discuss us" topic also...
21.06.2006 - 12:13
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Valentin B on 21.06.2006 at 11:56

so you're gonna try and kill everyone in the world and then yourself?

There's an idea , but no. And I don't want to look like a jackass, for not believing something cuz there's no proof. This is not about that. There is no need for aliens, that's I'm trying to say.

Written by Valentin B on 21.06.2006 at 11:56

you said something like this on the "discuss us" topic also...

I said that I hate humans.....
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
21.06.2006 - 13:01
Valentin B
Iconoclast
same thing...:D
21.06.2006 - 16:05
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I believe in extraterrestrial life, but not like small green marsians or something like that. No I think life on other planets will be like bacterias, insects or something like that. Maybe somewhere out there intelligent life excist but it will not resemble us at all.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
21.06.2006 - 17:24
CrematorY
Account deleted
@ Damnated: Well i think youre very much influenced by Hollywood... I mean well first of all i dont think it is possible to have creatures as much alike as humans... youll have to take into consideration the affect of gravity on the organism for instance and i mean its DNA thats a very low percentage youre talking about of having and ET that has the same DNA structure and coding to be human like... :S thats most likely impossible!

Well anyhow i doubt that even the most intelligent lifeforms would be in contact with us like if they're a couple of thousand lightyears away, they'll need a couple of thousand light years to reach us (that is if they developed machines capable of reaching almost the speed of light) because according to physics, the reduction factor is of formula e=radical(1-v^2-c^2) that means an object cannot even reach the speed of light because according to the lorentz transformation, X,=1/radical(1-v^2-c^2) (that is the conjugate of the time factor... it would be like defying physics by gaining speeds higher than the speed of light, the limit of velocity is at the speed of light, so even a travel machine cannot reach the speed of light, but something like 99.999..% of it... so my point is even if ET life exists, we cannot use the proof that they would have visted us at all because it is mere nonesense...
21.06.2006 - 19:20
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I believe in extraterrestrial life, because the way we live in the earth is just one, we are used to it and it doesn't means that this is the only way of life that exists, and let's think, the only part that we know of the universe is our galaxy, we know only 9 planets , some stars and the sun, that's just a little part of the universe and there are stars which are infinity times bigger than the sun, that says a lot and watching the firsts posts which talk about the formula that calculates how many stars there are, it's just impossible to think that we are the only one way of life, plus the strange visits that many people have seen that are different from humans.
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
22.06.2006 - 00:11
TheKreator
Account deleted
of course it's impossible not to exist other life forms...the question is, how intelligent are they? and, if we are to meet with them, well...they will find us, we won't find them ( that is, if there's any intelligent life form )
22.06.2006 - 01:02
LethargyMan
There's a funny thing about intelligent extraterrestrial life forms - there's often an assumption that they are more technologically advanced and physically or mentally superior than we humans. We must really have some inferiority complex of some sort.

It would be wrong to flat out deny the existence of intelligent extraterrestrial life - just as much as it would be to wholly believe in it. As far as the scope of the universe is concerned, humans have only stepped about as far as the Earth's front porch (if that much). Anything we say with respect to how intelligent any extraterrestrial life may be, how far away they may be, how many there are, or even whether they exist or not, is simply conjecture and nothing more.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
22.06.2006 - 01:39
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I believe in the existance of any extraterrestrial life, but I don't think they will ever come to visit us, if they are intelligent ET, maybe only to see how stupid we are, with all the wars and stuff. I don't think that if they come they will be happy or anxious to meet "a blood thirsty band of crazies who let children buy guns from the supermarket" (Maurice Chavez VCPR, GTA Vice City Radio).

However it might be the opposite: They could be lifeforms still in the process of evolution, like dinosaurs form another planet, sort of speaking; or maybe they're like us, and don't have enough technology to get to another planet; hell, maybe they don't want to, maybe they don't worry about it. Who knows? I like to believe there is ET life, intelligent one, and because they are intelligent they don't come to Earth, they would be kidnapped or shot or tortured or who know, even worse stuff.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
22.06.2006 - 01:40
Dam3k
Hey men do u have a fucking idea of how large the universe is?? so.... I think it's clear...
----

22.06.2006 - 02:11
Baz Anderson
Staff
Daru Jericho got it perfectly right
it is just such an ignorant view to think we are the only life forms in the universe
i think it is almost certain there are other things out there, we just have no idea of telling where abouts in their time scale they are compared to us
22.06.2006 - 10:20
CrematorY
Account deleted
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 22.06.2006 at 01:39

I believe in the existance of any extraterrestrial life, but I don't think they will ever come to visit us, if they are intelligent ET, maybe only to see how stupid we are, with all the wars and stuff. I don't think that if they come they will be happy or anxious to meet "a blood thirsty band of crazies who let children buy guns from the supermarket" (Maurice Chavez VCPR, GTA Vice City Radio).

Well yeah the point is that its very hard to track life taking a civilization 1000 light years away will have to search an area of radius 1000 light years that is 3.14x(1000x63241.077)^2 that is approximately equal to 1.3×10^16 AU i don't think that its that easy to find a planet which in length is less than a thousandth of a light year in all this space... its like searching for a needle in a thousand tons of haystack... if we would discover ET life or they would discover us at first, then im very sure that it would be by mere luck. Besides your right a superiorly evolved civilization would look at us like a bunch of lab rats... they want to know how we came to living as much as we want to know... If we find life on titan for example, scientists would rush to get samples of living things and for these living things its like ET abducting them... lol hollywood again
08.03.2007 - 04:22
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Personally yes I do, I feel that the universe is to large for us to be the only sentient life forms.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
08.03.2007 - 09:47
Eight
Shapeshifter
Yes i do, in fact dispite that i am (was) christian, i allways belived in extraterrestrials.
@Daru Jericho - well said!
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
08.03.2007 - 14:03
Hyvaarin
Written by Daru Jericho on 21.06.2006 at 03:41

I believe in them but my belief is a very simple one; space is so vast that it seems absurd to think we are the only intelligent life form out there.

Pretty much my thoughts, too. It's illogical to think that we're alone. At the same time, though, it's hardly a topic that occupies my thoughts very much.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
08.03.2007 - 20:24
Metal_Messias
Account deleted
Well, I think that there is extraterrestrial life, but I really don't believe that they are visiting us like some of that crazy mystical ufologists.. I think that when we see a extraterrestrial life we wont recognise it as life, because will be something totally different of our culture.. It will be nothing like the things we know and it will be very hard to understand it. But I'm sure that there is extraterrestrial life, but maybe we will never find it.
09.03.2007 - 01:22
UnholyMenace
Psycho
It is pretty difficult to say that there isn't any life in the universe besides us. Can we even be sure how huge the universe actually is. And if it really is measurable, then what is beyond it? But like people have posted above, I doubt that extraterrestrial creatures visit earth and kidnap people to use them as test subjects.
10.03.2007 - 05:58
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Yes, I belive that extraterrestrial life can exist because I belive that today's since is not 1000% developed and this universe is infinitely large, so we do not know a lot about the universe. So, we cannot deny the possibility of existence of extraterrestrial life.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
11.03.2007 - 02:29
Bitch Boy
Some of you guys have already said it: with this big number of galaxies, stars and planets, it's very possible that there are some intelligent beings out there.
13.03.2007 - 23:35
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Daru Jericho on 21.06.2006 at 03:41

That says it all I think. The size of the universe makes it more than obvious..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
14.03.2007 - 00:15
FTW
Account deleted
We have to be very ignorant and nariccistic to believe that we are alone in the universe. What makes us so special? But I don't believe that the others are skinny green reptiles with big eyes, if anything they are just like us, maybe have different skin colours, maybe speak differently but as as a physical appearence they have two arms,two legs, a head and a brain.

It is written in the bible that GOD created us in his image, so how come there cant be ppl like us living in other galaxies?
14.03.2007 - 00:27
Remus
I'm certain that there is life in the universe besides us. It's just too big for us to be it's only occupants.

What will happen if we meet the extra-terrestrials? Simple, if we're more advanced chances are we'll enslave them. We are the most advanced beings on this planet from an intellect point of view and look, we get animals to plough the fields for us. Even when white people arrived in Africa +/- 16th century, because they were more advanced from a technological point of view, they enslaved the indigenous black people.

Question is: what if E.T en his buddies are more advanced than us?
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
14.03.2007 - 11:33
Eight
Shapeshifter
Written by Remus on 14.03.2007 at 00:27

I'm certain that there is life in the universe besides us. It's just too big for us to be it's only occupants.

What will happen if we meet the extra-terrestrials? Simple, if we're more advanced chances are we'll enslave them. We are the most advanced beings on this planet from an intellect point of view and look, we get animals to plough the fields for us. Even when white people arrived in Africa +/- 16th century, because they were more advanced from a technological point of view, they enslaved the indigenous black people.

Question is: what if E.T en his buddies are more advanced than us?

Thats a good point you have there, lets just hope that they would be more advanced, as you said but peaceful
race so we could live happily in a harmony with each other! hooray for hippies. Peace V
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
11.05.2007 - 15:40
dark-1988
Account deleted
As have been said many times before me. The universe is far too vast for us to be the only lifeform. But then, if it turns out we are the only ones, what makes us so special. But who can really say when we will find out the answer, if we're the only one's or not. Will we EVER find out? Cause I feel, we won't find out in my life time..