13. Global Good Guy
14. Humpty Finance
15. Slow
16. Itch
17. Afterword
18. Lifer
19. Bob Dylan Wrote Propaganda Songs [Minutemen cover]
20. Grind Fidelity

The problem with writing about an album as excellent as Brutal Truth's Evolution Through Revolution, the band's first LP after a 12 year hiatus, is that it is really boring to just blow sunshine up a band's ass for three full paragraphs. That's right, I can't really think of anything negative to say about this release, it is absolutely top-notch grindcore, one of the best albums of this year and probably of the entire genre in general. And thats all you really need to know.

Nevertheless, I guess I need to elaborate a little bit and since Brutal Truth seems to be immune to my sword of fury, let me rip on some other bands instead. So here we go. Kevin Sharp's insane vocalizations make Barney Greenway sound like a pink dinosaur, Lilker's bass lines sound bigger than the guitar-less Lightning Bolt and Rich Hoak's ADHD rampaging attitude should make Devin Townsend feel ashamed of his measly bipolar disorder. It is nevertheless Eric Burke's inventive guitar playing that makes Evolution Through Revolution so special - his speed would make Mike Scaccia wish he took more speed, while his sense of groove would have Steev Esquivel question his marijuana intake. Most importantly, the album sounds extremely modern, as if Brutal Truth was in a constant state of evolution while away from the spotlight. Many new areas are explored, with most directions yielding results that put bands with similar approaches to shame. For example, Converge wish they made a song like "Powder Burn", while "Global Good Guy" contains as much extreme crust as an entire His Hero Is Gone LP. "War Is Good" could show Zeni Geva a thing or two about using noise in extreme metal and a track like "Detached" surprisingly contains an atmosphere oppressive enough to make Carpathian Forest fans take notice.

So there you have it, Evolution Through Revolution is a record so good that it can only be described by pointing out how it kicks other bands' asses. If you cant get enough of crazy, insanely fast and extreme, yet quite intelligent and consistent music, this is the album for you.

Written on 22.04.2009 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 18   Visited by: 152 users
22.04.2009 - 01:54
Jeff
Freaky Admin
Nice review !

Good original idea
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
22.04.2009 - 02:35
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Heh, nice work. i'll be checking it out, even though grind isn't really my thing.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.04.2009 - 02:56
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Haha, you write in great reviews Jupitreas, i always get a good idea of the music out of your descriptions. Interesting reviews make for curious minds. Sorry for shoving so much sunshine up your ass.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
22.04.2009 - 03:23
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Hahah, well thanks guys. Im just trying my best to write interesting shit, thats all.
22.04.2009 - 13:47
foschino
Account deleted
Ok, but why not rating the album?
22.04.2009 - 13:51
Deadsoulman

Written by Guest on 22.04.2009 at 13:47

Ok, but why not rating the album?

That I know, that I know. Can I sir?

Taken from Jup's profile:
"I no longer rate albums because people get too obsessed with the rating and forget to read the actual review. Read the review, it will give you a much better idea if an album is worth your time than a rating will."

Anyway, fun and spot-on review, as always. I think Evolution Through Revolution is my favourite grindcore album this year, along with Antigama's Warning.
22.04.2009 - 14:13
Lord_Regnier

Written by Deadsoulman on 22.04.2009 at 13:51

"I no longer rate albums because people get too obsessed with the rating and forget to read the actual review. Read the review, it will give you a much better idea if an album is worth your time than a rating will."

I totally agree with Jupitreas on this matter.

This is a copy-paste of what I said about ratings on another thread:

"Concerning this discussion about ratings: I don't care for ratings and don't even check them. What matters to me is music description, comparisons with other bands, the overall picture of an album. I find it pointless to rate music on a scale, as it's a matter of tastes and perception. Anyway, ten persons will come with ten different ratings, which proves how useless ratings are. If you read my posts on the "Reviews" section, you'll see that I mention if I like an album or not, talk of its qualities and flaws (from my point of view), but never talk about the rating. I would go as far as to say I don't give a fuck if an album is rated 2 or 10. As soon as I'll listen to songs from it, I'll know why the rating is high or low, and if it's really due to the album being very awful or truely awesome or if it's because the kind of music didn't fit the reviewer's tastes.
I would never be interested to review albums, as I hate the principle that forces you to dissect an album song by song and category by category. I always see metal music as a whole, not only for an element in particular or merely the sum of all its individual elements. It's the way things are combined together that tells me if I find music great or not to my ears. Awesome drumming, or impressive solos, or great vocals are always positive elements but they don't mean much if the rest is not good and the overall result sucks."
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
22.04.2009 - 14:40
foschino
Account deleted
Written by Lord_Regnier on 22.04.2009 at 14:13

I think rating is worth considering. It does not necessarily mean to avoid reading the whole review.

Ten persons will come with ten different ratings as well as with ten different opinions about music itself. If ratings are useless, then the overall picture of an album is also useless, because it depends (like ratings) on the writer's opinion (a matter of tastes and perception)
For example, you said: "Kevin Sharp's insane vocalizations make Barney Greenway sound like a pink dinosaur".
Someone else may have a different opinion and prefer Greenway, isn't it?

Anyway, my focus is not on the review, which is brilliant
23.04.2009 - 00:46
Lord_Regnier

Written by Guest on 22.04.2009 at 14:40

I think rating is worth considering.

Rating music on a scale is stupid. It only tells you if the reviewer liked the album or not, it doesn't tell you anything on the music itself.

Anyway, lots of shitty things will always be ridiculously overrated, while much better things are totally underrated.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
23.04.2009 - 15:07
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Nice review, I read it 2 times. 41 time before listetning to the album and second time after I heard the album. Im not into Grindcore buut this Review made me feel alright to listen to this album. and yes, this album is a nice album. I liked it.
28.04.2009 - 00:11
Bloodshed
Account deleted
I thought I was about to read one of Herzebeth's reviews, uhm. I just saw his blog, this sucks so bad because I can think of at least four jokes he would've wrote here.
28.04.2009 - 02:59
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Guest on 28.04.2009 at 00:11

I thought I was about to read one of Herzebeth's reviews, uhm. I just saw his blog, this sucks so bad because I can think of at least four jokes he would've wrote here.

What does this have to do with my review of the album?
07.05.2009 - 17:33
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher

"Concerning this discussion about ratings: I don't care for ratings and don't even check them. What matters to me is music description, comparisons with other bands, the overall picture of an album. I find it pointless to rate music on a scale, as it's a matter of tastes and perception. Anyway, ten persons will come with ten different ratings, which proves how useless ratings are. If you read my posts on the "Reviews" section, you'll see that I mention if I like an album or not, talk of its qualities and flaws (from my point of view), but never talk about the rating. I would go as far as to say I don't give a fuck if an album is rated 2 or 10. As soon as I'll listen to songs from it, I'll know why the rating is high or low, and if it's really due to the album being very awful or truely awesome or if it's because the kind of music didn't fit the reviewer's tastes.
I would never be interested to review albums, as I hate the principle that forces you to dissect an album song by song and category by category. I always see metal music as a whole, not only for an element in particular or merely the sum of all its individual elements. It's the way things are combined together that tells me if I find music great or not to my ears. Awesome drumming, or impressive solos, or great vocals are always positive elements but they don't mean much if the rest is not good and the overall result sucks."

Rating albums is an easy way to show out your personal taste. it's all about taste. and no it is not useless -you can see it easily - cause it is a way for many people to express their opinion on albums..

about the review now: it is a very good review for a great album!!!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
17.06.2009 - 11:40
thejackyl

Funny review

also, i really need to pick up this album already
27.06.2009 - 21:03
Rating: 10
HiF

Album rating: 10. One of the best grindcore album I've ever heard.
23.01.2010 - 21:36
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
awesome album...waht i love about it so much is that you can hear the bass clearly and also the riffs sounds great
09.12.2011 - 17:51
Butters49

i think you give too much of a fuck.
----
"Sataaaaaaaaan. Yeah yeah!"
-King Diamond
09.12.2011 - 17:51
Butters49

lol just kidding, actually its not a bad way to put it.
----
"Sataaaaaaaaan. Yeah yeah!"
-King Diamond

Hits total: 7674 | This month: 8