Metal Storm logo
Within Temptation

Original post

Posted by The Alchemist, 02.08.2006 - 19:20
There was no topic about this great Dutch band, so, here it is.

I love this band, I have the 3 albums and love them, specially "Mother Earth" and "The Silent Force" , the lyrical content, the music itself and the beautiful Sharon's voice make this band unique. Now I'm looking forward to get last DVD.

So, welcome to the thread!
14.04.2007 - 01:43
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Has anybody heard the songs "Frozen" and "Gothic Christmas"?
And what about "Running Up That Hill"? Is it a cover?
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
14.04.2007 - 12:32
Torelli
Frozen is a song from the new album "the heart within". I think you should be very skeptic to the song "Gothic christmas", first of all it isn't mentioned in none of the ep:s, singles, albums etc. Second, the lyrics is very, very different from what WT used to write about. It's probably another band, but someone has taged it as WT, kind of Nightwish "song" a gothic romance.

"Running up that hill" is indeed a cover, orginaly peformed by Kate Bush in the 80s.
14.04.2007 - 19:51
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I see, ok, as for "Gothic Christmas", well, the song sounds a little similat to WT, so, it's for that that I asked
----

Sensorium - Epica
15.04.2007 - 05:30
Bitch Boy
@ The Alchemist: I didn't know that "Running up that hill" was a cover until I heard somewhere the song. I prefer WT's cover though.
15.04.2007 - 05:44
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by Bitch Boy on 15.04.2007 at 05:30

@ The Alchemist: I didn't know that "Running up that hill" was a cover until I heard somewhere the song. I prefer WT's cover though.

Same with me, I didn't know that the song is a cover, but I don't remember how I knew it, maybe I saw somewhere something like "Within Temptation - Running Up That Hill (cover)"
WT plays this song quite well, in fact, it seems that the song isn't a cover, imo
----

Sensorium - Epica
15.04.2007 - 12:41
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
@The Alchemist: thanks for the information on 'Running Up That Hill'. Have been wondering about wether it was a cover or not for a while.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
15.04.2007 - 15:07
Amrott
man i've just seen Within Temptation last Thursday, and it was of the best shows i've been too!!

even though they played like 6 songs of the new album, they all sounded awesome live, plus the older songs, everything was great!! they had perfect sound, guitars and keyboards fitting together and Sharon's vocals on top of all that just amazing!!

i've seen them for the first time last year in Download, it was good but not as awesome as their own show of course!!
15.04.2007 - 17:53
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
@AmRo: nice to hear that the new album is good live...wish I had the opportunity to see them
----

19.04.2007 - 20:02
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by Torelli on 14.04.2007 at 12:32

Frozen is a song from the new album "the heart within"

I didn't think about it before, but "Frozen" can't be from this album, as I downloaded the song two years ago, and besides the lyrics are different. I searched in MA in every album, every single and the EP but it doesn't appear in any of them, and I doubt that this song belongs to other band, because the vocals are from Sharon, so, I'm confused...
----

Sensorium - Epica
19.04.2007 - 23:14
Bitch Boy
@ The Alchemist: maybe it's Sharon being featured in some other band
19.04.2007 - 23:32
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
@Bitch Boy: well, after I posted my last message I thought of that, but guest musicians don't sing an entire song, or can it be possible...?
Well, I'm still confused
----

Sensorium - Epica
20.04.2007 - 01:11
Bitch Boy
One song comes to my mind, it is Korn's "Earache my eye", the hidden track after some minutes of silence after "My gift to you". In this song, only guest Cheech Marin sings.
20.04.2007 - 13:07
Jg1
Gothic Christmas is a special christmas gift to fans, not released as single, it was downloadable from their homepage. Its quite humorous song.
There are two songs named "Frozen". One is WT song from the new album. Other one is from the band Voyage, the band where Sharon and Robert played before WT was made. It is wrongly titled as Within Temptation song, because it is Sharon's voice.
20.04.2007 - 13:11
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
I saw an ad on Australian commerical television the other morning for their new album. I was fucking surprised, despite knowing the increasing success and popularity of the band.
----
20.04.2007 - 17:26
duyhung
Account deleted
Written by Jg1 on 20.04.2007 at 13:07

Gothic Christmas is a special christmas gift to fans, not released as single, it was downloadable from their homepage. Its quite humorous song.

Yeah quite interesting song but where on their website can i find that song?
20.04.2007 - 20:47
The Alchemist
Metalchemist

There are two songs named "Frozen". One is WT song from the new album. Other one is from the band Voyage, the band where Sharon and Robert played before WT was made. It is wrongly titled as Within Temptation song, because it is Sharon's voice.

Thanks a lot for this information man, finally my question has been answered
----

Sensorium - Epica
20.04.2007 - 21:16
Princess Venus
Account deleted
Written by Amrott on 15.04.2007 at 15:07

man i've just seen Within Temptation last Thursday, and it was of the best shows i've been too!!

even though they played like 6 songs of the new album, they all sounded awesome live, plus the older songs, everything was great!! they had perfect sound, guitars and keyboards fitting together and Sharon's vocals on top of all that just amazing!!

i've seen them for the first time last year in Download, it was good but not as awesome as their own show of course!!

I know what you mean, I've seen them a month ago, and they were so amazing!!
The Heart of Everything's seems to be a great tour, you're right about the instrumental components: they're are very well performed, and Sharon is always like a Goddess!
I was like *_* for all the time during the concert!

Written by Elijah on 20.04.2007 at 13:11

I saw an ad on Australian commerical television the other morning for their new album. I was fucking surprised, despite knowing the increasing success and popularity of the band.

Yes they were included in a tv promo for a tv series (Grey's Anatomy) here in Italy too, they've also talk about it in their OS, I was so shocked! Though they aren't visible on MTV Italy oy elsewhere, they're still so so so much poplur lately
21.04.2007 - 20:43
Torelli

That's quite intresting. I have never heard of those two songs, would you recomend them? Anyhow, thank you for the information!
22.04.2007 - 00:10
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Both songs are good, I definetly recommed "Frozen" really good song, and well, "Gothic Christmas" is excellent, kind of funny
----

Sensorium - Epica
22.04.2007 - 07:22
reclusive
The previous comments on the quality of the LIVE performance has encouraged me to snatch the chance to see WT in the USA. You guys (and LADY) have got me PUMPED - at least enough to swipe the credit card! Since they will only be doing a few shows on the West Coat of the continent, I must fly from Miami to see them with Lacuna Coil (I HOPE they play as much from the older material as they do from Karmacode since they are the "headliner"). Lets see if I can order (and get shipped to the States) a shirt or something to show WT that I am their for THEM not LC.

-anybody else aware of the USA tour?
23.04.2007 - 21:57
Bitch Boy
@ reclusive: WT with Lacuna Coil must be an amazing show. Hopefully both Sharon and Cristina would sing a song together, that would be great.
24.04.2007 - 21:47
Alfa
Account deleted
I really love Within Temptation. Sharon has such a beautiful voice. Too bad that they don't give a concert in Estonia
08.05.2007 - 12:44
Elodie Artour
Slania
WT is one of my favourite bands,I got two albums and one DVD of them,but their new release totally disappointed me.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
08.05.2007 - 15:16
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
@reclusive: oh man both Lacuna Coil and Within Temptation at the same concert. Wish I could join you
----

08.05.2007 - 22:34
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
I refused to go to the last Within Temptation concert in Madrid with my friends. I already saw them live twice (check my 2-year-old concert review as soon as it's corrected!), plus I absolutely despise The Heart of Everything. The only songs which could make it to a remarkable Within Temptation compilation would be Hand of Sorrow and Our Solemn Hour for me. None of them are as good as those outstanding The Silent Force songs like "Angels" or "Jillian (I'd Give My Heart)".

The rest of their newest album is simple, annoying, where only minimal melodic and harmonic structures are used ("Frozen", "Final Destination", what's that, for the love of the Gothic Metal Gods?), and full of Pop-Rock conventionalisms (simple riffs -"The Cross"-, repetitive choruses -"The Howling"-, and I'll better shut up about the track featuring Keith Caputo). In any case, I still have faith in Within Temptation raising from their Metal ashes and releasing another "Mother Earth". (The negative part about this is that they don't claim to be playing Gothic Metal anymore in their Myspace page, but Gothic Rock. Let's see what the future holds for them and for us, their fans.)
08.05.2007 - 23:09
Bitch Boy
@ Taktsekte: gothic rock is an accurated classification for their music. They were still symphonic metal in TSF but they keep on getting away from metal as time passes by.
09.05.2007 - 03:54
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by reclusive on 22.04.2007 at 07:22

-anybody else aware of the USA tour?

Yes, I'll get at the show in Seattle. Honestly, I'll probably leave after The Gathering plays (the only band on the bill that interests me in the slightest). I used to really enjoy WT's music and would have paid to see a show even after the disastrous Silent Force album. But now.... I doubt they'll have any motivation to play older material when they're trying to win fans of their new sound.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
12.05.2007 - 00:26
reclusive
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, I'll get at the show in Seattle. Honestly, I'll probably leave after The Gathering plays (the only band on the bill that interests me in the slightest). I used to really enjoy WT's music and would have paid to see a show even after the disastrous Silent Force album. But now.... I doubt they'll have any motivation to play older material when they're trying to win fans of their new sound.

Perhaps its my age (44) but I do not hear worlds of difference between WT last (2) offerings and the older stuff. That is NOT too say there is no difference, I just find the choice more dependent on my current mood. Considering this will be my first concert since the early nineties, and the first even remotely Metal, I am still psyched! :banger2:
12.05.2007 - 01:59
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Quote:
Written by reclusive on 12.05.2007 at 00:26

Perhaps its my age (44) but I do not hear worlds of difference between WT last (2) offerings and the older stuff. That is NOT too say there is no difference, I just find the choice more dependent on my current mood. Considering this will be my first concert since the early nineties, and the first even remotely Metal, I am still psyched! :banger2:

Hmmm, perhaps it is *shrugs*

Enjoy the show
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
14.05.2007 - 12:28
High and Mighty
Account deleted
The new album is a great one, I love it!
Unfortunately I couldn't find any tickets for their show in Milan last month