Metal Storm logo
Gwar - Guitarist Found Dead

Corey Smoot, aka Flattus Maximus, guitarist of US alternative metallers Gwar was found dead this morning, November 3rd, as the band were about to cross the border for their upcoming Return Of The Maggot Tour.

Frontman Dave Brockie (a.k.a. Oderus Urungus) has released the following statement to MetalSucks: "It is with a sense of profound loss and tragedy that the members of Gwar must announce the passing of their longtime guitarist and beloved friend Cory Smoot, also known to thousands of metal fans worldwide as Flattus Maximus.

Cory was found deceased this morning as the band prepared for a border crossing. There is no word as to the cause of death and the members of Gwar are completely shocked and devastated that this has occurred. At this point there is no word on arrangements and the disposition of the remainder of Gwar's current North American tour, nor are there any details regarding long-term plans.

At this point we are just dealing with the loss of our dear friend and brother, one of the most talented guitar players in metal today. We ask that our fans and the media be respectful of our request for privacy for those that have suffered this terrible loss. A full statement will be coming in the next day or so, in the meantime please give your thoughts and your prayers to Cory, his family, and all the people that love him."

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Gwar
Posted: 03.11.2011 by Unknown user

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 41   Visited by: 312 users
03.11.2011 - 21:57
Baz Anderson
Staff
How unfortunate, sad news.
03.11.2011 - 22:02
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Sad indeed, and I think the cause is unrevealed on purpose. RIP Corey, all respect.
----
03.11.2011 - 22:07
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Wow, sad news. RIP.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.11.2011 - 22:13
malaikat
Damn. RIP.
03.11.2011 - 22:15
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Well I'm not familiar enough with these dudes to be surprised or not, I never did get into them or really care much for their style but I still respected their contributions and influences on so many people and bands and it's always sad news when a member of the metal community passes. RIP.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

03.11.2011 - 22:21
SlaytanicGonzo
Never liked this band, but still, RIP
03.11.2011 - 22:22
pagb666
Flattus Maximus? omg!
03.11.2011 - 22:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Fuck! I hope this doesn't mean the end of such an amazing live band it's a shame
03.11.2011 - 22:43
Leafy_Dragon
Man, I haven't listened to these guys since high school. I am going to dig out my old CD's and give them a good listen. Really liked the guitar work.
I wish good luck to the band, both in dealing with this and continuing their touring.
03.11.2011 - 22:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Terrible band but (almost) always a shame to see a musician die. Sad to say it's likely substance-related, but something like heart failure can never be ruled out.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.11.2011 - 22:55
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Gwar represents metal in the most positive way, while still being one of the bigger bands in the scene. Sure, their recorded material isn't the best, but they have some awesome songs and their live shows are incredible. With all the money that goes towards their stage antics, I can't see them making much of a profit at all, but they've been doing so for decades. I don't get why people say crap like, "I don't like these guys, but RIP", in threads such as these. It just sounds disrespectful.
03.11.2011 - 23:20
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Shocker...
----
rekt
03.11.2011 - 23:31
I_Die_Often
DANG! I was to go to their show last nite with friends!!!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
03.11.2011 - 23:57
a MasT
Rip sir
03.11.2011 - 23:58
JD
Account deleted
R.I.P
04.11.2011 - 00:14
Lit.
Account deleted
R.I.P.
Deepest sympathy for his family and friends.
04.11.2011 - 00:17
RavenKing
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.11.2011 at 22:49

Terrible band but (almost) always a shame to see a musician die. Sad to say it's likely substance-related, but something like heart failure can never be ruled out.

Agreed. It is most likely drug-related. By the way, even if it's a heart attack, it could still be drug-related.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
04.11.2011 - 00:39
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Oh God, this kind of news is always unfortunate.
----
7.0 means the album is good
04.11.2011 - 02:25
Luc
Account deleted
Really sad ... R.I.P.
04.11.2011 - 02:27
Symmachus
This is really unfortunate. My sympathies go out to his friends and family.
04.11.2011 - 03:40
Aetherius
Sucks, RIP
04.11.2011 - 06:00
DeathMetal
That fucking SUCKS
RIP
04.11.2011 - 13:29
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Too bad. Wonder what caused it
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
04.11.2011 - 14:14
Eärendil
I hope GWAR will survive this tragedy. R.I.P Corey.
04.11.2011 - 15:29
Written by RavenKing on 04.11.2011 at 00:17

Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.11.2011 at 22:49

Agreed. It is most likely drug-related. By the way, even if it's a heart attack, it could still be drug-related.

What kind of comentaries were those?? you're really sick, you sorry ass idiots show respect and don't say morbid speculations....wait 'till the forense inform.
04.11.2011 - 15:53
Nattens
Just sad. I recently saw these guys for the umpteenth time last month on the 23rd, and all seemed well.
05.11.2011 - 02:31
This really sucks about Cory. I was at the Indianapolis show 3 days before doing photos and a review. Hard to believe they're some of the last pictures ever taken of him. Here's the link if anyone cares to see the pictures or read the review:

http://nerdrepository.com/2011/11/04/the-loss-of-a-true-scumdog/
05.11.2011 - 23:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Thrash del Sur on 04.11.2011 at 15:29
What kind of comentaries were those?? you're really sick, you sorry ass idiots show respect and don't say morbid speculations....wait 'till the forense inform.

These sorry ass idiots probably didn't mean offense but were merely speculating as to how a musician met his end. You can't tell people not to comment...the internet doesn't work that way.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.11.2011 - 23:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
PS does anyone know who filled in? My friend worked their show last night in Edmonton and said they found a replacement but she didn't know who it was.
----
06.11.2011 - 00:31
Panzerchrist
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.11.2011 at 23:59

PS does anyone know who filled in? My friend worked their show last night in Edmonton and said they found a replacement but she didn't know who it was.

Why don't you tell me a little moar about that girl instead? Is she hairy?

Hits total: 5494 | This month: 16