06. Eyes Of The Squirrel
07. Jilly's On Smack
08. Lee Van Cleef
09. Moron TV
10. Green Ranger
11. HOINFODAMAN
12. Extinction Burst
13. Salmon Men

Ever wonder what a lyricized version of a mad man rambling would sound like with a funky bass line to match him? Well, after an eleven year wait Primus has returned to answer that question for the seventh time with Green Naugahyde. As per usual Primus has produced a baker's dozen of bass driven songs, with lyrics that even Frank Zappa would scratch his head at. Which for many will be very familiar territory for a Primus album, but to call it unoriginal would be taking that too far because this band has no stylistic competitor to compare them to.

This album seems to follow the same structure as previous Primus albums. Step one, Les Claypool writes a bass line with lots of gravitas. Step two, Les Claypool finds his dictionary of non-sequiturs to write the lyrics with. Step three, the band writes the guitar and drum parts to bolster up steps one and two. Final step, Les Claypool records the tracks and awaits musical accolades. This seems to work for the majority of the song in the Primus catalogue. Each of the songs on the album consists of lots of character because of this, and have a inherit likability that fans of the band will enjoy.

This album does a good job of delivering the sound that Les Claypool and company have been refining for over twenty years. This doesn't go so far as to expand the Primus repertoire at all but does give the listener some quality songs. The biggest knock against it is that it plays to the established fan base a little too much, which never really is a bad thing. Whatever your feeling are on Primus prior to Green Naugahyde will not be effected by this. Fans will be happy and haters will keep hating. If you like Primus you'll probably like this. If you're indifferent, don't bother with this release. If you're looking to start listening to this band this is as good as place as any to start.

Recommended tracks: "Jilly's on Smack", "Lee Van Cleef"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Fade To Black | 26.12.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 39 users
27.12.2011 - 19:38
Susan
Smeghead
Any album with a song called "Lee Van Cleef" is worth listening to.

I've actually been meaning to get into Primus. This review was a nice reminder Thanks!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
27.12.2011 - 21:28
Rating: 9
Fade To Black

Written by Susan on 27.12.2011 at 19:38

Any album with a song called "Lee Van Cleef" is worth listening to.

I've actually been meaning to get into Primus. This review was a nice reminder Thanks!

You're welcome for the reminder. What sis you think of the review its self
27.12.2011 - 21:42
Susan
Smeghead
I like the review; I feel like I have a good, positive, and accurate feel for how the album will sound.

Honestly, I was just blinded by the fact that they have a song called Lee Van Cleef But yes, you did very well
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
27.12.2011 - 23:09
Fade To Black

Written by Susan on 27.12.2011 at 21:42

I like the review; I feel like I have a good, positive, and accurate feel for how the album will sound.

Honestly, I was just blinded by the fact that they have a song called Lee Van Cleef But yes, you did very well

Thank you, and i looked up Lee Van Cleef and yes it's pretty cool they named a song after him
28.12.2011 - 00:05
Susan
Smeghead
Yeah. One of the most gorgeous men to grace the silver screen. And one hell of a bad ass!!! I think The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly was the first film I ever saw him in, though it might have been For A Few Dollars More. Either way, I'm sure Primus wrote a song that does his badassitude justice.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
06.01.2012 - 05:58
Mattybu

Very nice review man. I would say Primus had one of the more enjoyable releases of 2011. Also, I was laughing out loud by the end of Eternal Consumption Engine - that might be another good choice for a recommended track.
06.01.2012 - 06:35
Fade To Black

Written by Mattybu on 06.01.2012 at 05:58

Very nice review man. I would say Primus had one of the more enjoyable releases of 2011. Also, I was laughing out loud by the end of Eternal Consumption Engine - that might be another good choice for a recommended track.

I thought about recommending that track, but I thought it might be to Primus in one song for people just getting into them.
06.01.2012 - 06:53
Mattybu

Written by Fade To Black on 06.01.2012 at 06:35

Written by Mattybu on 06.01.2012 at 05:58

I thought about recommending that track, but I thought it might be to Primus in one song for people just getting into them.

That's true. It's Primus as hell, that song

Hits total: 2656 | This month: 17