06. Purification By Fire
07. Death Walking Terror
08. Barbaric Bludgeonings
09. The Discipline Of Revenge
10. Brain Removal Device
11. Maniacal
12. Submerged In Boiling Flesh
13. Infinite Misery

Disc II [Hammer Smashed Laiterie - limited edition DVD: Live In Strasbourg 2004]
01. Opening
02. Shredded Humans
03. Puncture Wound Massacre
04. Fucked With A Knife
05. Stripped, Raped And Strangled
06. Decency Defied
07. Vomit The Soul
08. Unleashing The Bloodthirsty
09. Pounded Into Dust
10. The Cryptic Stench
11. They Deserve To Die
12. Dormant Bodies Bursting
13. Gallery Of Suicide
14. Pit Of Zombies
15. The Wretched Spawn
16. Devoured By Vermin
17. A Skull Full Of Maggots
18. Hammer Smashed Face

Before I write anything about this album I have to explain some things; I used to be a huge CC fanatic, "Tomb Of The Mutilated" and "The Bleeding" were both albums that I used to play daily and all. Then Corpsegrinder arrived and I said "fuck this is boring", I never found myself digging neither Fisher's voice, nor the material that CC released after "Vile" as for me they were just recycling their riffs and their music.

"Kill" arrived this year; my enthusiasm for hearing this album was totally bland, at the time I thought "meh, I prefer being kicked in the nuts than hearing a CC album again". But for peripheral circumstances I found myself hearing "Kill" and actually liking it, it was odd indeed, so I gave the album a shot and my thoughts about this band changed a little bit.

This album it's not as good as "The Bleeding" at all, it doesn't even get near to their early works. "Kill" it's just a useful item for the metal-heads to say "ok, we're listening", now it's time for CC to exploit what they accomplished and give us an outstanding return in the future. I could write a huge review about the music and about the songs played in this album, but it would be useless as even the guys who hear Slipknot and Nightwish know how this band sounds believe me.

So I'll just say that "Kill" is a fairly good album, I'll still be waiting for the "The Bleeding" follow-up though, at least this one it's the nearest attempt at being as great as they used to be. Don't be so picky now, give this album a try and enjoy what these guys made for us, maybe this is not what everyone expected, but it's surely better than "The Wretched Spawn" and all those sucky post-barnes discs they released.

Best Tracks: "The Time to Kill is Now", "Barbaric Bludgeonings", "Infinite Misery"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Herzebeth | 06.11.2006

Comments

Comments: 63   Visited by: 312 users
06.11.2006 - 18:17
Rating: 8
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
I totally agree with you, so great review!
I've got few hopes for a new "The Bleeding", that was an incredible release!
After "Vile" all became boring (but "Bloodthirst" is not bad), so this is almost a surprise... Though the originality isn't their strong point, finally a good new CC album!
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
06.11.2006 - 20:02
Basso
Account deleted
gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooore. I find most CC albums rather bland imo. But their early albums sure as hell is catchy!
06.11.2006 - 20:39
Götter
Elite
Best of CC definitely. Actually the only one I can listen to.
06.11.2006 - 22:07
dancingdecember
i actually liked TWS very much and i listen to this album just one time.i think i'll listen it again..
----
i'm super, thanks for asking
06.11.2006 - 22:45
Rating: 9
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I also had low expectations for this album. I had never really liked this band, but I decided to give them another chance by downloading their album only because there were a lot of seeds and it only took like 10 minutes to download. After hearing it for the third time or so I really got into it. I'd have to say that this album got me into CC and since then I've received all of their albums.

Purification by Fire is my favorite track. The intro is awesome.

This album is more brutal than a midget trying to reach the top of the fridge
06.11.2006 - 23:13
Necronomicon
Account deleted
I dont agree with you i think that Corpsegrinder vocals are absolute amazing barnes is cool but i actualy think he is better in Six feet under.

I think Kill is a fucking great album!!
06.11.2006 - 23:28
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 06.11.2006 at 22:45

This album is more brutal than a midget trying to reach the top of the fridge

LOOL.
07.11.2006 - 00:09
-MeTaLlIc-OwL-
Account deleted
I liked this one, is waaay better than the other new stuff, it kicks ass, but not as much as "The Bleeding", that one I think, is their best work ever, one of the Best Old Schoolish DM Albums of All time, even tough I kinda like better Corpsegrinder's vocals, the musicianchip on "The Bleeding" was so mighty and catchy.

In conclusion, this is good, but for a nice helluva death metal album, try "The Bleeding"... or Cryptopsy
07.11.2006 - 00:39
spirit_inblack
harshhead
The best album with Corpsegrindre. I like Barnes way better and early CC was awesome. Vile wasn't too bad and there are a few other songs that I like out of the Corpsegrinder era. This is the best CC album since The Bleeding in my opinion.
07.11.2006 - 07:38
Herzebeth
There are some people that like Corpsegrinder more than Barnes...that's ok I guess... but I've found that mostly those are the ones who started hearing CC with Corpsegrinder, so it's kind of obvious that they prefer what they heard first.

Myself, the first song I ever heard by this band was A Skull Full Of Maggots with Barnes..so it's obvious that I stick with the old stuff and shit.

still..this is a good album, it might get worned off in the future (not as The Bleeding or TOTM that keep impressing us after so many years) but for now it's a great album to hear
----
07.11.2006 - 07:56
-MeTaLlIc-OwL-
Account deleted
I can't recall what was the first CC song i heard, its like ahm, 2 years ago, since i started to listen to DM,
Well i think Fisher's voice is like a more generical aproach to Death Metal, so DM begginers like Fisher, after a while i started to like Barnes vocals, but, don't know, they're just really different from each other. Maybe thats why the opinions are divided. Oi, im so good at writing in english(sorry)
08.11.2006 - 13:22
Rating: 3
lordz
IzZo
Written by Herzebeth on 07.11.2006 at 07:38

There are some people that like Corpsegrinder more than Barnes...that's ok I guess... but I've found that mostly those are the ones who started hearing CC with Corpsegrinder, so it's kind of obvious that they prefer what they heard first.

Myself, the first song I ever heard by this band was A Skull Full Of Maggots with Barnes..so it's obvious that I stick with the old stuff and shit.

totally agree and SHIT

Barnes was limiting his talent while he was jamming with CC... I think his work with SFU is way better

and about KILL... I think its the best album that CC came up with eversince Fisher joined the line up... and he does sound better in this album then the previous ones...
11.11.2006 - 05:56
I really like it. I thought Bloodthirst was a great album as well. All this debate about singers... meh. As long as its well-crafted metal then I can dig it. However, the rehashing of old riffs and formulas is all to true. But you could say that about a lot of bands.
----
you should all check out a band called synthetic breed.
11.11.2006 - 13:14
Mr Heartbreaker
Account deleted
i hate to come off as a "spammer," but it continues to riddle me how anybody can find this to be "music" let alone good or even great music. I've heard my share of bands that are nothing but noise in my days, but these guys take it to a whole new level. Proof that all a band needs is retarded sounding growls and disgusting lyrics, and somebody out there will be attracted to it. Oh well, just my two cents. ...
11.11.2006 - 19:14
Necronomicon
Account deleted
Written by Author on 11.11.2006 at 13:14

i hate to come off as a "spammer," but it continues to riddle me how anybody can find this to be "music" let alone good or even great music. I've heard my share of bands that are nothing but noise in my days, but these guys take it to a whole new level. Proof that all a band needs is retarded sounding growls and disgusting lyrics, and somebody out there will be attracted to it. Oh well, just my two cents. ...

Its a matter of taste! i dont think the growls sounds stupid but i think pop music vocals sounds bad. And poeple get atracted to the band because off their good riffs and the music not because they have sick lyrics it is just a fun thing and a part of the image
12.11.2006 - 08:57
-MeTaLlIc-OwL-
Account deleted
I dont know what in the fuck Mr Hearbreaker is doing here if he doesnt like "noisy" bands.
12.11.2006 - 18:20
Herzebeth

It's easy...you just don't have the ears or the guts to bare a band like Cannibal Corpse, it's actually quite common you know? geez...I just wish you won't ever find my Torsofuck review :/
----
12.11.2006 - 19:57
Necronomicon
Account deleted
haha yearh ill bet he dont like torsofuck
13.11.2006 - 04:24
Rating: 9
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Herzebeth on 12.11.2006 at 18:20

It's easy...you just don't have the ears or the guts to bare a band like Cannibal Corpse, it's actually quite common you know? geez...I just wish you won't ever find my Torsofuck review :/

haha what are you talking about man? Torsofuck is very non-violent and peaceful, with songs about flowers and Jesus. I think he would like them.
17.11.2006 - 04:29
Rating: 3
lordz
IzZo
@Herzebeth.....
all I got to say is
loooooooool....

@Mr Heartbreaker........ why are you rading a review about a band that makes music you hate???
19.11.2006 - 22:52
Mr Heartbreaker
Account deleted
Written by Herzebeth on 12.11.2006 at 18:20

Having "guts" enough to listen to this kind of "music" has nothing to do with it. And just b/c I don't prefer Cannibal Corpse over bands who can write a melody or a meaningful lyrics doesn't mean that I listen to songs about flowers and Jesus, either.
I prefer to listen to music based on its lyrical and (of course) musical value... not to prove how large by balls are and wide my tolerance to shit is.
Could I play the instruments the way they do? Of course not.
Could I write this sort of music? Maybe if I were mentally retarded...
19.11.2006 - 22:58
Herzebeth
Hey!!! watch your mouth man!!!... you CAN'T say "Jesus" or "Flowers" in a cannibal corpse review
----
20.11.2006 - 19:12
Mr Heartbreaker
Account deleted
yes, but they are only part of the list
Last i checked, words that didn't apply to Cannibal Corpse were....

- Flowers
- Jesus
- Music
- Melody
- Harmony
- Talent

2 for 6 isn't bad, i'm not Satan
20.11.2006 - 20:03
Herzebeth
Written by Author on 20.11.2006 at 19:12

- Flowers
- Jesus
- Music
- Melody
- Harmony
- Talent

dude..you owned me there. that comeback was just...cool or something...I wasn't expecting it that's for sure.

I do not think you're correct with that statement though as I do find Talent, Harmony, Melody and Good Music in Cannibal Corpse...but I won't answer you back as I really liked the way you shut me the fuck up... cheers.

NOTE: I am not being sarcastic...
----
20.11.2006 - 20:18
Necronomicon
Account deleted
Written by Author on 20.11.2006 at 19:12

- Flowers
- Jesus
- Music
- Melody
- Harmony
- Talent

How can you say cannibal corpse dont have talent they have made some extreme dificult riffs?
and offcourse they have harmony in their music they are after all musician, they dont just play some random on the guitar... if you actualy sit down and really listen to their music you will acknowlede.
They just play fast and brutal you dont like that kind of music... but saying the musicians dont have talent isent simply correct...

and dosent wonder you 1million people want to buy their albums just to show off? ( it is actualy correct)
21.11.2006 - 08:25
Mr Heartbreaker
Account deleted
i'm not sure exactly if i understand what you're trying to say, necro, but if i understand the last sentence correctly... i agree with you.

I stated already that, no, I myself (or the average person for that matter) could of course not play their instruments with the skill and virtuoso that Cannibal Corpse do. But that doesn't make them good musicians or songwriters.
I play basketball. I know people who have practiced, played in leagues, and bragged about how much they practice... and they f***ing suck. Playing basketball 24/7 and talking about it has not gotten them anywhere... they just weren't born to play.
Same goes with bands like CC... sure they play their whole lives and can play fast and complicated music... doesn't mean they have the talent to write a good song.

i DO understand where you're coming from with the "f you actualy sit down and really listen to their music you will acknowlede," because i've used the same sentence to defend some bands i like that play fast and aggressive music... such as Norther, Children of Bodom, Throes of Dawn, etc.... but it doesn't always apply.
I have heard CC's music... i've given it a chance (after all, they are practically legends to their genre), and I really think that 99% of the fans they have out there are buying their records simply to look cool and tough.
If you ask me, it makes them look ignorant and uneducated.
21.11.2006 - 10:13
Baz Anderson
Staff
i think you are very mistaken indeed!
to propose that all Cannibal Corpse fans like them to 'look cool and tough' - that is just stupid
look at my favorites - come on, am i saying i like Cannibal Corpse to look 'cool'? is it possible to look 'cool' in that way when it is clear i like bands like Freedom Call as well?

if you dont like the music, like you dont, then just leave it! you arent going to understand the people that do like it
the band obviously does have talent contrary to what you keep saying - look at how many fans they have on this site and around the world. talentless metal bands dont get that popular for nothing

please just understand that because you dont like the music, you dont understand why people like the band
to consider liking them just to make me look 'cool' just annoys me
21.11.2006 - 19:38
Herzebeth
Written by Author on 21.11.2006 at 08:25

some bands i like that play fast and aggressive music... such as Norther, Children of Bodom, Throes of Dawn, etc....

Oh dude..please...COB and Norther are not..and I repeat..ARE NOT aggressive bands. They can be slightly fast, maybe as fast as puke coming out of your nose...they are poseur bands at best.

I do not know Throes of Dawn, but if you mentioned them in the same "COB" sentence I'm really not interested...
----
21.11.2006 - 20:34
Basso
Account deleted
@ Mr Heartbreaker : If Cannibal Corpse is not music, they WHAT THE FUCK IS IT? Its made by competent musicians that enjoy to make this fastpaced rather brutal form of MUSIC. If you simply do not understand that this in fact is fucking music, and insist that music cannot simply sound like this or in any similiar way, then you are really really naive boy.

Also reffering to it as something you like just because of the fact "to be cool" is really another naive point, just look at it like this, WHO THE F**K THINKS ITS COOL WITH GORELYRICS AND BRUTAL MUSIC IF NOT ANOTHER DEATH METAL FAN?
And why the heck would another DM fan try to be cool infront of another DM fan when they are in the stuff for the MUSIC (or should we call it "fake music" (since it doesnt have melody).
And seriously, since the majority of all the Deathmetal fans actually own atleast one CC album doesent your silly accussation of 99% of all sold CC albums are in showoffs hand sound even more so silly, I mean it is like saying that 90% of all death metal fans is just into Cannibal Corpse to show off. Man wake up.

You dont have to like a band to understand that they have talent. But just simply denying it is silly.

Go listen to your superior bands and continue to look down upon the "sounds" that you simply cannot understand.

Oh and note that I really aint a Cannibal Corpse fan, but you know what? Your attitude annoys me to the core.
22.11.2006 - 10:11
Mr Heartbreaker
Account deleted
"come on, am i saying i like Cannibal Corpse to look 'cool'? is it possible to look 'cool' in that way when it is clear i like bands like Freedom Call as well?"

Good for you for liking bands that others would scrutinize you for liking (and i'm not being sarcastic). It's good that you have enough balls to do that. I like some albums that aren't much accepted here also, such as HIM and yes, the newest Withing Temptation album. It's good that you at least have an open mind towards your music.

"look at how many fans they have on this site and around the world"

Yellowcard and Papa Roach also have many many fans around the world... last I checked they were still complete shit.
In many places of the world it is also popular to hit your wife and make her cover up 98% of her body. But hey - that lifestyle has many fans - so i'm sure i'm completely wrong if i'm against it.

"Oh dude..please...COB and Norther are not..and I repeat..ARE NOT aggressive bands. They can be slightly fast, maybe as fast as puke coming out of your nose...they are poseur bands at best."

Now don't go pretending like i compared them to CC... cos for me to do so would be a dishonor to both bands.
Granted... they have nothing to do with CC's style... meaning you can distinguish one song for the next and that they don't sound like a bunch of infant 5 year old children with down syndrome beating on drums and various instruments with their pet cats.
But either way... these bands DO play some fast and aggressive music. If you think they're "poseurs" (i think you meant poser* Einstein) than that is your opinion... it takes nothing away from the fact that that is the kind of music they typically play.

"I do not know Throes of Dawn, but if you mentioned them in the same "COB" sentence I'm really not interested..."

Of course you don't know them... you are too busy listening to original (LOL!) such as Cannibal Corpse. Maybe if you stopped listening to bands that every single "TrUOo M3t3Lh3AD" has 15 t-shirts of you would actually have time to search out less known bands that know how to construct a song worth listening to and paying money for.
Throes of Dawn have absolutely NOTHING to do with COB music... they play atmospheric death/black metal... but also have fast songs. Their album "Quicksilver Clouds" would actually be much worth the listen for you... and would teach you a lot about what good music is. But were you to give it a listen... i'm sure you'd give it a negative review just to spite me. Be my guest, Belle.

"If Cannibal Corpse is not music, they WHAT THE FUCK IS IT?"

pointless noise. duh

"And why the heck would another DM fan try to be cool infront of another DM fan"

I'm not really a "death metal" fan. I'm a music fan. I like some death metal bands. I like suomi bands. i like some pop bands. i like roch bands. I like orchestral music. I like my cat. I like my girlfriends.
You get my point? Not a death metal fan... unless it's actually good.

oh and just a thought for you to ponder... saying "fucking" as many times as you can doesn't make you any more smartererer, sherlock.

Case closed.

Hits total: 13643 | This month: 6