Running Wild or Alestorm

Running Wild
Alestorm
Neither, they're both crap...
Love them both!

Total votes: 52
01.08.2012 - 02:23
vgmaster9

Which pirate metal band do you think is better, the speed metal band Running Wild or the folk metal band Alestorm?
01.08.2012 - 02:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
There is no similarities in music, but alestorm need do piracy more more years till they ever reach Running Wild level of pyracy and besies RW is Heavy metal what I like musicaly and Alestorm is power flower so no doubt I choose RW

PS how many RW albums you have yeard ..... I mean poll author
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.08.2012 - 16:34
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Voted neither, Carach Angren have them both beat and they aren't even good.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.08.2012 - 16:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
They are both just as crap. Both bands need the priate imagery to sell their terrible music.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.08.2012 - 16:43
R'Vannith
ghedengi
There's no beating Running Wild, they set sail first after all.
01.08.2012 - 16:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by R'Vannith on 01.08.2012 at 16:43

and still they are bad and needed the imagery to sell their bad to mediocre music
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.08.2012 - 16:50
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.08.2012 at 16:44

Written by R'Vannith on 01.08.2012 at 16:43

and still they are bad and needed the imagery to sell their bad to mediocre music

All the gimmickry is tongue in cheek, no doubt about that Ah but hell its good fun! At least they were, if you think their best material is bad I could only imagine what you'd make of their latest stuff.
01.08.2012 - 18:04
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Have you even listened to these two bands? there are almost no similarities between them, why even compare? just because they sing about pirates? how about comparing Bathory, Amon Amarth and Manowar, they all sing about vikings right?
01.08.2012 - 18:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Obviously he knows they sound different. He even mentioned the different genres in the opening post... Not everything needs to be so serious, Val.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.08.2012 - 18:50
Uldreth

Running Wild is much much better than Alestorm imo.
01.08.2012 - 21:07
strade

I hope this is a joke. Running Wild surpasses Alestorm in literally every way imaginable. Sure, they've been pretty bad the last decade, but wow.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
01.08.2012 - 22:46
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.08.2012 at 16:37

They are both just as crap. Both bands need the priate imagery to sell their terrible music.

Quoting this because it's pretty much what I was going to say.
----
02.08.2012 - 00:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
RW didnt need tjhis imadge in 80's and remeber 1th 2 albums .... there was no piracy and Under Joly Rogger make band be overated , but nowdays I say Alestorm are more know, newbies dont get so easy RW music
----

apos;'
[image]
02.08.2012 - 00:52
Dinruth

I don't know why so many people are hating on Alestorm .. they do make funny & catchy music .. keelhauled and captain morgan's revenge kick some serious ass ... I'm still not voting because I'm not familliar enough with RW

oh .. and just because they're different, doesn't mean that you can't say that you like one better than the other ..
02.08.2012 - 18:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dinruth on 02.08.2012 at 00:52

I don't know why so many people are hating on Alestorm .. they do make funny & catchy music .. keelhauled and captain morgan's revenge kick some serious ass ... I'm still not voting because I'm not familliar enough with RW

oh .. and just because they're different, doesn't mean that you can't say that you like one better than the other ..

caychy music well happy ppl usualy drink rum whit coca cola or 40% stromg, true pirats swallow 80% pure ruma nd are not happy
----

apos;'
[image]
02.08.2012 - 19:22
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.08.2012 at 18:06

Obviously he knows they sound different. He even mentioned the different genres in the opening post... Not everything needs to be so serious, Val.

What I'm saying is that there is no point comparing these two bands as they play completely different types of music.. like apples and oranges.
02.08.2012 - 22:56
Dinruth

Written by Bad English on 02.08.2012 at 18:28

Written by Dinruth on 02.08.2012 at 00:52

caychy music well happy ppl usualy drink rum whit coca cola or 40% stromg, true pirats swallow 80% pure ruma nd are not happy

haha .. fair enough, but depressed people tend to drink themselves into oblivion or cut their wrists, though not every doom metal artist does so
02.08.2012 - 23:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Dinruth on 02.08.2012 at 22:56

though not every doom metal artist does so

not a single domo artist does so doom artists and fans are the biggest life and fun loving people I have come across. Probably because the music is so cathartic.

But somehow giothics aren't like that at all.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.08.2012 - 23:15
Dinruth

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.08.2012 at 23:02

Written by Dinruth on 02.08.2012 at 22:56

though not every doom metal artist does so

not a single domo artist does so

and I'm sure no (or at least I hope so) death metal artist crawls around at night ripping babies out of women's bellies to drink their blood ... so just to go back to the initial discussion ... imo Alestorm are just a great band when it comes to conveying positive energy and happyness ... and excessive drinking of course
03.08.2012 - 21:06
quirin

RW was never cheap enough to solely rely on some bullshit image. As opposed to Alestorm in that matter.
I'm surprised to see a pioneer of European Heavy suffer comparison with an uninspired trendy copycat.
I take that back, I'm not suprised at all (just wish I was)... Rather disappointed that some wouldn't hear the obvious difference.
03.08.2012 - 23:54

Account deleted
I prefer Captain Hook's pirates' song on Peter Pan the animation.
05.08.2012 - 01:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by quirin on 03.08.2012 at 21:06
Rather disappointed that some wouldn't hear the obvious difference.

Not sure why you're disappointed, considering everyone here (OP included) have stated they're well aware of the stylistic differences between the bands. They're only being compared based on their image.
----
05.08.2012 - 13:09
quirin

Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.08.2012 at 01:19

Not sure why you're disappointed, considering everyone here (OP included) have stated they're well aware of the stylistic differences between the bands. They're only being compared based on their image.

The question was "which band do you think is best?" I'm saying it's obvious. I regret that Alestorm can reach such popularity by fashion alone, while the much more talented RW never achieved a properly deserved recognition. Seeing those two compared on the same level is disappointing to me.
07.05.2017 - 05:44
Winter Heathen

Alestorm. They've consistently adopted pirate-themed music for almost a decade now, and they're as musically competent, if not more than Running Wild.
----
Power metal incarnate.
03.09.2017 - 23:39
TeachNThrash

I really only enjoyed Running Wild's first two albums, but I don't like any albums from Alestorm, so I guess, Running Wild has my vote.
25.01.2018 - 17:45
Dungeon Shaker

I like Alestorm, but I love Running Wild.

Go check out Blazon Stone, nowadays they're better at being Running Wild than Running Wild is.
----
www.thunderousvoices.com
09.05.2018 - 03:57
Drippy.Hippie

Seriously? Metal Arena is comparing bands over themes?

Well, Running Wild by a long shot, they've never released a bad album, one of the best bands I've ever heard!

Also........ I second Dungeon Shaker's comment about Blazon Stone, kick ass band
----
What is the difference between the man who fools you from the pulpit, and the other man who fools you from the platform?
Both of them seek to obtain power over you - To rule your mind, control your property interests or labor power.
02.12.2021 - 19:52
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
05.11.2022 - 23:34
Joppe
Steelemeister
Running Wild of course, no competition. If Alestorm would be put against something like Korpiklaani or some other folk metal group who doesn't take themselves too seriously then it would require a decision to be made.

OR maybe Running Wild against X-Wild? Rolf vs Axel?
----
My vision is augmented