Metal Storm logo
Favourite Dan Swanö Project

Original post

Posted by , 19.11.2006 - 23:05
I've decided to take only the 'big' projects Swanö has done, and not the million small EP-bands he's been in over the years, or the one off albums (Katatonia's Tonight Decision, Star One's Space Metal, etc, though I've put in Dan Swanö's self-titled)

It's almost impossible to choose, but through deducting that Diabolical Masquerade is more of a Blakkheim project, Godsend and Infestdead being only good, Nightingale, Pan.thy.monium and Ribspreader being only superbly great, left me with Edge of Sanity or Bloodbath...and as Moontower was like an extention of Edge of Sanity...I went with them. Any of them could have won though, they're all great.

Poll

What is your favourite Dan Swanö Project?

Edge of Sanity
Bloodbath
Dan Swanö (Moontower)
Nightingale
Pan.thy.monium
Diabolical Masquerade
Ribspreader
Godsend
Infestdead

Total votes: 100
21.05.2009 - 20:58
chematss

I voted for Edge Of Sanity, one of my fave bands.. I also like Nightingale a lot ( listen to nothing but Nightingale nowadays) and stuff.. The man is a genius..
19.02.2012 - 02:18
Darkside Momo
Retired
Haven't heard Moontower yet, but Pan.Thy.Monium (and the even crazier Tintin-infused Karaboudjan) will probably get my vote anyway. Dawn Of Dreams and Khaooos & Kon-Fus-Ion blow 95% of the world's music out of the water.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
19.02.2012 - 02:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I think Steel has to be honourably mentioned for the fun, ridiculous cheese factor:

19.02.2012 - 02:21
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Nightingale
Moontower
and the two Crimsons albums

These are the only things I've been listening and enjoyed. So I can't vote.
19.02.2012 - 02:35
Darkside Momo
Retired
I feel like posting videos
Pan.Thy.Monium's best song IMO:

And (not in the poll) Karaboudjan:
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
06.10.2012 - 01:27
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Edge of Sanity, it is an extremely underrated act, coming out with classics like Purgatory Afterglow and Crimson. I like Bloodbath, good ole' traditional death metal, but the more progressive band always wins for me.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
14.10.2012 - 04:35
Misfit74

Hail Of Bullets.
14.10.2012 - 05:32
Branzig

I'm a big Ribspreader fan myself.

So dirty, So good.
----
In Grind We Crust
08.12.2022 - 15:17
Aethyria

Pan.thy.monium will always be my favorite!

I made a pan.thy.monium play through along with guitar tab to the song IV from dream II, if anyone is interested. It’s extremely hard to find tablatures for this band, so I thought I would share.
I hope this is allowed, because Pan.Thy.monium needs to be more known.
Guitar Proof 20: PAN.THY.MONIUM - DREAM II - IV Guitar Lesson & Tablature Death Metal
https://youtu.be/Vupq4R2l5oE
08.12.2022 - 15:21
JoHn Doe

Nightingale by far.
This is an old poll i guess because Witherscape is not there. That's a great project IMO.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
08.12.2022 - 16:07
nonZero

My order would be:
1. Edge of Sanity - Crimson is one of four albums I would consider to be a perfect 10/10
2. Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh (9.5/10) is my favourite 'pure' death metal album and Swanö's songwriting is a big part of it.
3. Diabolical Masquerade - Death's Design (8.9/10) and Nightwork (8.7/10) contain some fantastic, original songwriting. A great mixture of heavy/evil and melodic.
4. Dan Swanö (Moontower) - The first half of this album is a perfect 10/10 in my books. It drops in quality in the second half, but not enough to not make it an outstanding melodic death metal album.
5. Witherscape - Both albums are fantastic, especially the first half of The Northern Sanctuary.
6. Nightingale - A good occasional listen, but lacks the variety and dynamics of his other projects IMO. The Closing Chronicles is the best album I've heard from this project.

I haven't properly listened to Pan.thy.monium, Ribspreader, Godsend or Infestdead.

Many of the projects he's been involved in as a producer are also fantastic (many of them highly rated here on MS), there are too many of those to list though!
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)