11 - Slaves Shall Serve
    12 - Chant For ΕΣΧΗΑΤΟΝ 2000
    13 - 23 (The Youth Manifesto)
    14 - Lucifer
02. The Satanist: Oblivion

Top 20 albums of 2014: 3

Additional info
Deluxe box set includes:
  • Black 10" boxset (with gold hot foil & UV gloss lamination).
  • CD/DVD digibook in silver mirror slipcase (44 page booklet).
  • Supersize posterflag (approx 3x5 feet).
  • Black wooden inverted rosary cross.
  • Metal pin.
  • Black communion waffles in black envelope.

Produced by Behemoth.
    Co-produced by Wojtek and Sławek Wiesławscy and Daniel Bergstrand.
    Engineered by Wojtek and Sławek Wiesławscy.
    Drum tech by Urban Näsvall.
    Recorded at Hertz Studio by Wojtek and Sławek Wiesławscy, February-June 2013 e.v.
    Additional recording at Dug-Out, Radio Gdańsk, Sounsgreat Studio.
    Mixed by Matt Hyde at Hideaway Studio, Los Angeles, August-September 2013 e.v.
    Mastered by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound, New York, September-October 2013 e.v.

All art and calligraphy by Denis Forkas.

The excerpt from Witold Gombrowicz's 'Ślub' in the song 'In The Abscence Ov Light' used with the kind permission of Rita Gombrowicz.

• Staff review by
    wormdrink414
    Rating:
    Not too many bands could throw a spoken-word, Kenny G sax muzak thing into the middle of a song called "In The Absence Ov Light" and not get laughed away into obscurity. Behemoth can get away with shit like that. They're just too cool to be dismissed. They sound cool and, with a theatrical sense that rivals well over half a Lady Gaga, they LOOK cool. I mean, I'm not gay, but I'd let Nergal and Orion double team me if they still want to.

Read more ››
    published 12.02.2014 | Comments (215)

Guest review by
    flightoficarus
    Rating:
    What's my favorite scary movie? The Shining. With its subtle, psychological terror and slow-build that only Kubrick can pull off, it's a masterpiece. Sure, I get down with the gore-ridden creature features too. Everything from Evil Dead to Friday the 13th is cool in my book. Why is this relevant? Aliens. Okay, now you are more confused. Let me elaborate further. I think a lot of long-time fans come to a Behemoth album expecting a certain level of violence. Demigod, Thelema.6, Zos Kia Cultus; these classics are the "Aliens" of the Behemoth discography. Explosions, flame-throwers, disembowelment, "Game over man, game over!" I'm right with you, popcorn ready. The Satanist, on the other hand, is "Alien." Swarms of xenomorphs are replaced with a single, lurking threat in the shadows. The emphasis is on tension as each innocent is picked off one by one and dragged to their grim (and unseen) demise. While both styles are equally valid, I find the imagination to be a far darker place than anything directly fed to my senses.

Read more ››
    published 09.02.2015 | Comments (42)

Starting with Demigod, Behemoth's albums became more and more soulless. Faster, more brutal, better produced, but devoid of feelings. But no more. This one is spontaneous, wild, unhinged and unpredictable. It has more music than brutality, more feeling than calculation. A fantastic treat.

Daniell's picks | More picks ››

Found in 111 lists
    Top lists

Comments page 2 / 10

Comments: 278   Visited by: 2432 users
    29.01.2014 - 22:49
    Rating: 9
    Daniell
    _爱情_
    Elite
    Written by gopherhawk2@gmail.co on 29.01.2014 at 14:23

Didn't come here to start a flame war, man. It'll be a good show when they come to the Twin Cities.

Didn't come here to do that either. Let's assume that most of Behemoth's album titles are either stupid, or pretentious. Fortunately, the music is very good, and that's all that matters.
    29.01.2014 - 23:46
    Rating: 8
    Deadmeat
    Necrobutcher
    I think it's out there... first listens now... lets see..
    ----
    Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
    30.01.2014 - 02:35
    Rating: 7
    God Alone
    Two tracks are still missing.
    Anyway, the beginning of Messe Noire ("I BELIEVE IN SATAAAAN... AND IN THE ANTICHRIIIIIIIST!!!") made me laugh incredibly hard.
    30.01.2014 - 08:00
    3rdWorld
    China was a neat
    Waiting for the full frogged version.
    31.01.2014 - 09:54
    Daniell
    _爱情_
    Elite
    I listened to the album 3 times in a row yesterday. It's actually very very good. I'm definitely buying the album on Monday, it's worth it. If the last two tracks are as good as the seven I've heard so far, I'll be inclined to give this album a 9.

It seems that Nergal tried to go back to the band's roots, because this album has a lot of black metal in it, a lot more than on the last 4 albums at least. Basically every song is memorable and engaging. Especially the title track, probably one of the best Behemoth songs ever.

I must admit I had a bad feeling about The Satanist, especially that I didn't fall in love with Blow Your Trumpets Gabriel. (It's the weakest track on the album by the way.) All the hype, stupid, multiple teasers for one song, pretentious statements, blood mixed with paint - these things made many people hate the album before it was released. I hope they will listen without prejudice now.
    31.01.2014 - 13:41
    Rating: 6
    Rulatore
    Well, I finally could listen to it in its entirely. While it does not suck as much as I was expecting, I'm disappointed, I think it's maily because of the reviews saying that it was the best Behemoth record, everybody giving 9s and 10s

It's certainly different from their last efforts, but it didn't hooked me. As Deadmet said above, the longer the songs are, the worse it is. Doesn't matter if the song is mid tempo, or fast, they ended up being BORING.

The last track they could split in two, the song was awesome, but then that rant began... and it went downhill. Same with In the Absence ov Light.

Ora Pro Nobis Lucifer it's fast and all, but doesn't vary, same with Furor Divinus.

I liked some ideas here and there, but I didn't like most of the songs as a whole.
    31.01.2014 - 14:46
    garmling
    Account deleted
    This album is a grower! the first time I listened it I was like, meh nothing outstanding....but after like 10 or more spins it suddenly clicked! I like every bit of it, even some of those solos which at first sounded out of place imo. yes, it has a lot more BM into it, comparing to their previous releases, but the thing I like the most about The Satanist is how different and unique all songs are. every song has its own 'personality', which wasn't the case with majority of previous Behemoth releases....and though lyrics might seem stupid, imagine them like a Nergal's middle finger in the face of all those Christians in his own country which are trying to condemn him right now....this is solid 9 - 9.5 imo
    31.01.2014 - 19:37
    Himedal
    Written by RealEyes on 05.07.2013 at 17:42

Written by Wiillak on 31.05.2013 at 17:17

Come on man, Don't be that satanist !

The real satanists wear 5000 dollars suits and they work in the highest position of finance, business and government.

I totally agree with the highest position theory. well said.
    ----
    What goes by is life to be taken
    The doom calls upon the forsaken
    31.01.2014 - 19:45
    Himedal
    What's wrong with the title and Satanism? Come on. you worship your god and let others worship theirs. Remember Satanica (1999)??????

The album is fantastic. One of the best from Behemoth. I will give it an 8 or even 9. Just bought it and I suggest that you do so.
    ----
    01.02.2014 - 13:30
    koob
    I didn't have any expectations for this album and I can say that I'm REALLY surprised how good it is. From the nice guitar and bass sound to the orchestral bits and the awesome solos, this is a great Behemoth album, among their best.
    02.02.2014 - 21:06
    Arcesse Eum
    I had low expectations for this album after I heard "Blow your Trumpets..." and "Ora pro nobis Lucifer" - but then when I heard the album as a coherent whole I started to really dig it. It's dark as fuck, like a wall of evil coming at you for an hour straight. Thematically it's consistent through and through, and its more organic than their previous releases. The drums in particular are fantastic. I can see what Inferno was talking about in those lame teasers that this album has a quasi-shamanic trance inducing quality to it.

Overall The Satanist has what feels like Deathspell Omega starting a thrash/punk project with relatively linear song structures; if you're looking for some really direct blasphemous hateful shit, this seems to do the trick. At times it feels like Averse Sefira's 'Tetragrammatical Astygmata' or a polished Impaled Nazarene. The lyrics border on hilarious at times (I'm reminded of Reinkaos by Dissection), but they exemplify that 'free spirit' they're trying really hard to push as their image. Lyrics have always been important to me with Behemoth, and they fell a bit away from the old mystery cult mythology, Hindu/Egyptian/Persian cosmology, etc. in favour of generic Gnostic Satanism. It's musically different enough from previous releases to be interesting, and still coherent thematically, so all in all I give it an 8. It could have been better, but it's pretty sweet.
    ----
    As above, so below.
    03.02.2014 - 05:07
    Auntie Sahar
    Drone Empress
    Elite
    >20 votes
    >9.4

I smell some users being reported
    ----
    I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
    03.02.2014 - 05:21
    Auntie Sahar
    Drone Empress
    Elite
    Written by deadone on 03.02.2014 at 05:14

I always disregard the early votes as it's usually exicted fan boys/girls/shemales* who get into the album reas soon as it's out and like it regardless of quality or haters who go out of their way to sledge anything by a band they hate. Come back in 2-3 months time for a more sane assessment and in some cases 2-3 years.

*One wonders what percentage of Behemoth fans are shemales. Doctorate topic for some budding PhD me thinks.

Yeah, that's pretty true actually, gotta wait for the charts to even out. I honestly can't believe Iced Earth is #1 right now, that'll probably change in another month.
    And at that last statement
    ----
    I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
    03.02.2014 - 05:26
    Auntie Sahar
    Drone Empress
    Elite
    Written by angel. on 29.09.2013 at 17:35

Written by psykometal on 29.09.2013 at 15:48

^Ditto.

There are loads of "pure metal bands" that have nothing to do with satanism...

it depends who you are talking with,some even thinks that Pink Floyd or Deep Purple are basically into satanism ! Pff ! let alone what title this album is bearing !

But Satan lives on the dark side of the moon, so obviously they're talking about him
    ----

~ II. VII
    03.02.2014 - 09:13
    boo-boo
    Written by Auntie Sahar on 03.02.2014 at 05:26

But Satan lives on the dark side of the moon, so obviously they're talking about him

That's pretty confidential info you have!!
    ----
    World won't end today - it's already tomorrow in Australia.
    03.02.2014 - 15:47
    Auntie Sahar
    Drone Empress
    Elite
    Written by boo-boo on 03.02.2014 at 09:13

Written by Auntie Sahar on 03.02.2014 at 05:26

That's pretty confidential info you have!!

Well what else did you think the album was about, The Wizard Of Oz?
    ----

~ II. VII
    03.02.2014 - 16:31
    boo-boo
    Written by Auntie Sahar on 03.02.2014 at 15:47

Well what else did you think the album was about, The Wizard Of Oz?

Sorry, couldn't resist asking.
    ----
    World won't end today - it's already tomorrow in Australia.
    03.02.2014 - 21:16
    Hex_Omega
    Gem Seeker
    This is a huge step back. This album is like a mix of Thelema and Zos Kia Cultus. Behemoth is once again a Black/Death Metal band (or maybe they always were?). Songwriting has changed (less chorus oriented songs), production is 'dirtier' and Nergal is screaming more than on previous albums.
    So far, so good, so... The best Behemoth album? Unfortunately not... I found riffs on this album to be less inspired than on 'Evangelion'. 'The Satanist' is less memorable and catchy. This doesn't have to be a disadvantage but in this case it is. Besides there is completely nothing new here... Clean vocals? Come on... Orchestrations? Not really... So? Yup - Nihil Novi. 'The Satanist' is in my opinion a good album but there is nothing special about it... Just another Behemoth album.

Highlights: 'Blow Your Trumpets Gabriel', 'The Satanist', 'In The Absence Ov Light', 'O Father O Satan O Sun!'
    03.02.2014 - 21:26
    Wiillak
    Someone tell me what's wrong with the album to be rated under 6 ?
    03.02.2014 - 21:59
    Himedal
    Fucking awesome. Not as heavy as you might think but it's still so damn good. The last 2 songs are absolutely great. Thank you Nergal for another masterpiece.
    ----
    03.02.2014 - 22:48
    Rating: 10
    A truly amazing album from start to finish. I rate it a 9 now but time, I feel, will edge this to a perfect album.
    03.02.2014 - 23:14
    Rating: 10
    Wow very god
    03.02.2014 - 23:15
    ZepaR
    Finally the new album ov BEHEMOTH with bomb in 2014 this is the best album of my ears i trust OH MY SATAN this is awesome...
    you have to say fuck yeahhh. looked down on son ov god snuffed in vain....i want to say they were adept, "blow your trumpets gabriel" is a very dark atmosphere with video clip \\m// respect respect <|ever behemoth's always right and behemoth always on our mind!
    03.02.2014 - 23:18
    Rating: 8
    CobiWan1993
    Secundum Filium
    This is very good, solid stuff! It reminds me a lot of Watain's last album stylistically speaking, but of course still being distinctly Behemoth. It looks like they're reaching back towards the black metal sound of their youth, but still under the theatrical guise that they pursued with Evangelion. Very nice start to the year I must say.
    ----
    Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
    04.02.2014 - 00:30
    wormdrink414
    Elite
    Just not doing it for me. Sounds like a bunch of build-up for a bunch of mid-paced Evangelion riffs. Liking Amen and bits of the 3rd and 4th tracks, but definitely no Christgrinding Avenue or Shemhamforash on this.
    04.02.2014 - 10:34
    MechanisT
    Account deleted
    Not wowed by this as I expected, going by the rating and general consensus. Substantially lacking, and coming across as negatively restrained, even soulless to a fair degree. I can understand that they wanted to go in the direction of more broody, darker compositions but it wasn't necessary to almost completely curb their trademark ferocity and frantic pacing.
    04.02.2014 - 11:27
    !J.O.O.E.!
    Account deleted
    On the one hand 'Ora Pro Nobis Lucifer' is quite a good track. On the other hand the rest of the songs are crap, bar the odd competent riff. I can kind of see the comparison to the recent Watain; both have that vague, terribly unsatisfying type of wannabe-atmospheric songwriting going on which ultimately lead down a path of utter boredom.
    04.02.2014 - 11:35
    Paz
    Elite
    I don't get the hype too...
    04.02.2014 - 17:16
    Auntie Sahar
    Drone Empress
    Elite
    Alright, well Daniel usually has some good tastes, so I guess this is worthy of at least one solid listen from me now. Will be picking up within the week
    ----

~ II. VII
    04.02.2014 - 21:49
    Maglor
    For me it's one of best so far in this year, dark sound and the lyrics are awesome. I know it is not very black metal in sound, but sounds great for me.
    ----
    Maglor

Hits total: 54911 | This month: 41