Metal Storm logo
Sempiternal vs Restoring Force

14.11.2014 - 12:48
Ganondox
Bring Me The Horizon and Of Mice and Men are two metalcore bands who recently reached critical acclaim to the innovative nature of their most recent albums, Sempiternal and Restoring Force. Both albums have a bit of more commercial alternative metal sound while still having very heavy parts and being more experimental and diverse than their early material, but are quite different. Sempiternal takes more from electronic rock as well as assorted influence from random genres such as reggae, the end result sounding somewhere between metal and modern indie rock. Restoring Force, meanwhile, takes more from nu metal (good nu metal though, eg. the Limp Bizkit influence is heard in the guitars, not the vocals), and has an atmospheric and rocking as well as heavy sound. So, which one do you think is the superior album?

I personally prefer Restoring Force, though I think Sempiternal is more groundbreaking. For once, Aaron Pauley is much a better singer than Oliver Sykes. Second, I appreciate the lyrics of Restoring Force more, there is a reason they have a ton of teenage girls fans, and it's not because they are heart breakers. Finally, I prefer the atmosphere of Restoring Force and the instrumentation in general, though it's a bit more generic than what's going on with Sempiternal.