Metal Storm logo
Chthonic - Vocalist Running For Political Office In Taiwan

Taiwan's Chthonic lead vocalist Freddy Lim is traveling the road of music to parliament! And on December 26th, a Formosa Defenders outdoor concert will be held in place of a campaign rally. Beyond their musical impact, Chthonic has also focused their interests and strengths on social and political concerns both past and present within Taiwan. The band's lyrics have historically focused on accounts of the country's inhabitants fighting against repressive regimes in history in addition to their public displays of support for social movements and human rights activities, including last year's Sunflower Movement and this year's student protests against the Ministry Of Education's adjustments in high school curriculum guidelines.

Lim was one of the co-founders of live houses including Zeitgeist; this year, he launched the most successful crowdfunding site in Taiwan called Free Bird. In addition to music events, Lim has served two terms as chair of Amnesty International Taiwan, a board member of the Memorial Foundation Of 228, and has been active in human rights activities. Freddy has been honored with the President's Award by Taiwan's National Cultural Association, and founded New Power Party, a new political party in Taiwan. In less than one year of its founding, the New Power Party has become the third largest party in Taiwan besides the two major political parties. In June, Lim announced his bid for legislature.

The band has decided to hold a Formosa Defenders outdoor concert in Liberty Square in Taipei on December 26th, 2015. The concert will feature all of Chthonic's classic songs and it will be their largest scale outdoor concert, and fans from around the world are invited to take part.

The remaining four members of the band ? bassist Doris Yeh, guitarist Jesse Liu, drummer Dani Wang, and keyboardist CJ Kao ? have been supportive of Lim's ideas, as well as his decision. Therefore, the band collectively decided to hold the Formosa Defenders concert to show their determination to send Lim into the parliament to change Taiwan and change the world.

Chthonic chose the Liberty Square as the venue for the Formosa Defenders concert, because it's a temple built to worship the dictator Chiang Kai-shek, leader of the Chinese Nationalist Party [KMT] who later went into exile in Taiwan after being defeated. This well-known location represents the authoritarian regime of the old times that the band references regularly in its music, and also the venue for many social movements. It is, thus, the most suitable location for Chthonic's twentieth anniversary concert.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Chthonic
Posted: 06.12.2015 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 7   Visited by: 78 users
06.12.2015 - 14:11
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Music and politics always gave a putrid smell to me. I had the chance to actually meet Freddy Lim and the guy was very humble and polite. I never did imagine him as a politican, as my view regarding politicians is of a man that is constantly possing, that all his life is an act, a lie and that has no moral values whatsoever... only sees opportunity in everything. The Henry Rollins type. Politics change people. I know people, young people that were clean before entering the world of politics, but when they did enter it, they ended up being prosecuted and jail for whatever reason. It is like engaging into a really bad entourage. I just hope Chthonic will remains musicaly active. Touring will be a no-go if he gets a seat in the Parliament, but at least studio-wise they should keep things going. Their last album was a milestone.
06.12.2015 - 15:05
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
That is such a nice initiative.

The bigger question is, if he wins, how he'll handle both responsibilities?
06.12.2015 - 17:17
garmling
Account deleted
If I am Lim, I would just attach huge picture of Doris Yeh boobs on pamphlets and posters of my promotional campaign and won elections easily
06.12.2015 - 17:30
FYA
Destroyer
Written by Guest on 06.12.2015 at 17:17

If I am Lim, I would just attach huge picture of Doris Yeh boobs on pamphlets and posters of my promotional campaign and won elections easily

*erection
07.12.2015 - 04:54
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Dunno about this, politics didn't work out so well for Peter Garrett.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
10.12.2015 - 20:25
chomskeet

If I knew they were going to play Seediq Bale straight through I'd do everything to go to this!
17.01.2016 - 04:44
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
He didn't win his seat, but his party got a few.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"

Hits total: 3087 | This month: 6