Metal Storm logo
Generic European Power Metal - Good Or Bad?

Original post

Posted by Judas, 13.05.2007 - 15:23
So, I think the topic is pretty self-explanatory. What are your opinions on the multitude of European Power Metal bands around today, and why do you have that opinion? The style, often called 'Happy Power' or 'Flower Metal', is inspired by bands like Helloween and Stratovarius, and often uses neo-classical chord progressions along with soaring vocals, sing-along choruses, rollicking drums, frequent keyboards, and shredding guitarwork.

It's predictable, yes, and the lyrics, song-titles, and often even band names are horrendously cringe-worthy, but for me, nothing can brighten my mood and self-esteem better than some awesome tales of dragon slaying, princess rescuing, smiting with steel, and broken love, told in such a melodic and catchy manner.

Some bands in this area of Power Metal are Freedom Call, Magic Kingdom, Fairyland, Hammerfall, Lost Horizon, Power Quest, even Rhapsody Of Fire and Kamelot to an extent... If those names mean anything to you, then you'll know exactly what I'm talking about! Powerscreams, catchy choruses, awesome melodies and a general feeling of invincibility and awesomeness, without feeling truly metal like Manowar. I'm a fan, but clearly it's not all I listen to. It's good in doses, to brighten the day, and to put a smile on my face, but if this was it, well, Metal would be pretty boring. Still, may this genre live forever!

Poll

What is your opinion on standard European Power Metal?

It's awesome! YAAAAAAHHH!!!
It's good in doses.
It depends on my mood/the occasion.
It sucks, Flower Metal is for wimps.
It's uninspired, yet somewhat enjoyable.

Total votes: 245
18.05.2007 - 14:24
Judas
The Amputator
@K7: Belgium do have some cheesy Power Metal bands, with the best-known probably being Magic Kingdom.

Anyway, Marcel, why do you hate it SO much? Surely there are some bands that you can tolerate, or does the whole happy/singalong thing just make you cringe all the time?
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
18.05.2007 - 14:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Judas on 18.05.2007 at 14:24

@K7: Belgium do have some cheesy Power Metal bands, with the best-known probably being Magic Kingdom.

But those bands dont domain there Belgium are thrash/death/black country more how power, for example Spain are totaly power country, Italy too(because we know only thoe bands but nobody dont wanna dig deper and find extreme bands)
we all think Finland, geramny are powe rcountries to but how much we know abouty other genres there?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.05.2007 - 15:08
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Bad English on 18.05.2007 at 14:58

Written by Judas on 18.05.2007 at 14:24

But those bands dont domain there Belgium are thrash/death/black country more how power, for example Spain are totaly power country, Italy too(because we know only thoe bands but nobody dont wanna dig deper and find extreme bands)
we all think Finland, geramny are powe rcountries to but how much we know abouty other genres there?

Ahh, right, you were talking about the fact that Power Metal is not prevalent there like in some other countries. Gotcha, thanks for making it a bit clearer.
----
18.05.2007 - 17:12
Daru Jericho
Wow, this thread is not what I expected it to be. At first when it said generic EU PM, I thought you meant all these clone bands who don't contribute any originality to the genre like Power Quest, Vision Of Atlantis, Secret Sphere, DragonForce etc. as opposed to EU power metal bands who did something unique/special/contributory like Helloween, Blind Guardian, Edguy etc., especially since Kamelot are not generic (or EU but meh).

I like Helloween, BG, Edguy and Rhapsody Of Fire bands, you know, the ones that did something original. I don't like the clones. With DragonForce I like their solos which is why I got into them in the first place. But yeah, I misunderstood the title there. It's slightly ambiguous until you read the first post.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

18.05.2007 - 17:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Daru Jericho on 18.05.2007 at 17:12

I like Helloween, BG, Edguy and Rhapsody Of Fire bands, you know, the ones that did something original. I don't like the clones. With DragonForce I like their solos which is why I got into them in the first place. But yeah, I misunderstood the title there. It's slightly ambiguous until you read the first post.

I agree in those bads are lil' some original ideas and lyrics and mmelodies but clone bands IMO bigger clone band are Dragonforce I acn not listen even one song ist totaly boring and pop, such bands shood be played in comercial radio
----

apos;'
[image]
19.05.2007 - 07:05
ArchitectSupreme
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 18.05.2007 at 17:19

I agree in those bads are lil' some original ideas and lyrics and mmelodies but clone bands IMO bigger clone band are Dragonforce I acn not listen even one song ist totaly boring and pop, such bands shood be played in comercial radio

Haha, actually I HAVE heard Dragonforce on the radio (Through the Fire and Flames.)
19.05.2007 - 09:08
Judas
The Amputator

Wow, this thread is not what I expected it to be. At first when it said generic EU PM, I thought you meant all these clone bands who don't contribute any originality to the genre like Power Quest, Vision Of Atlantis, Secret Sphere, DragonForce etc. as opposed to EU power metal bands who did something unique/special/contributory like Helloween, Blind Guardian, Edguy etc., especially since Kamelot are not generic (or EU but meh).

I meant it to be about the really standard bands like Power Quest, Freedom Call et al, but looks like people have taken it to mean European Power Metal in general. I included Kamelot because they play a European style of Power Metal, and also I think they're cheesy as anything. But anyways...
----
31.05.2007 - 23:10
RavenLord
Written by Judas on 19.05.2007 at 09:08

I meant it to be about the really standard bands like Power Quest, Freedom Call et al, but looks like people have taken it to mean European Power Metal in general. I included Kamelot because they play a European style of Power Metal, and also I think they're cheesy as anything. But anyways...

Cheesy does not necessarily equal generic. Metal has its fair share of cheesy bands that are incredible. Pick up Sepultura's Schizophrenia, for example. The intro is absolutely hilarious, but the riffing on the album is by no means generic. Similarly, a lot of the satanism (well, luciferianism...if it's even that!) adored by thrash/black metal bands is very cheesy...the bands themselves are not generic (e.g. Bathory, Venom, Mercyful Fate, Slayer, Possessed, Marduk etc.). Generic European power metal just happens to be hopelessly cheesy, because that's one of the mainstays of any power metal band.
----
01.06.2007 - 01:20
Vunts
Written by Taktsekte on 17.05.2007 at 18:33

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.05.2007 at 12:37

Written by Taktsekte on 16.05.2007 at 17:31

The best thing about this genre, Euroflower Metal, is that every European country has some nice bands to offer:

Oh? I dare you to mention a nice Euroflower band from the Netherlands...

Xystus.

I got something too. Try to find a power metal band in Estonia Doesn't even have to be Euroflower. I seriously dare you.
01.06.2007 - 11:14
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i love that genre...bands like Rhapsody, Stratovarius, Fairyland...they play exactly what i wanna hear :-)
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

01.06.2007 - 13:36
Ernis
狼獾
As every type of music, it depends on my mood....for example...if I feel like listening to some particular songs of Blind Guardian, then I do so...and enjoy it....Hammerfall is also grand...as much as I've listened to them.....but well...to be honest....I amn't very much into power metal....
01.06.2007 - 13:39
APOHAKC
The Bard
I would like to add one more thing to my post few pages before. The one thing that is not that good in European Power Metal, and that is when some band make one good album, get little more famous and than make few more albums, immidiately 10 more new bands will appear who will play exactly same music like that band, and that is the thing on European Power Metal scene that sucks the most..
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
01.06.2007 - 13:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 01.06.2007 at 13:36

As every type of music, it depends on my mood....for example...if I feel like listening to some particular songs of Blind Guardian, then I do so...and enjoy it....Hammerfall is also grand...as much as I've listened to them.....but well...to be honest....I amn't very much into power metal....

Us I sad thos ebands fal out of Genre specely early BG and Hammerfall, thay criate them own muisc and seems thay are more Iron maidish style metal
----

apos;'
[image]
01.06.2007 - 13:51
APOHAKC
The Bard
Yes, and Blind Guardian started like SPEED METAL! You wrote that on every topic where Blind Guardian is mentioned, I think everyone get it man
Cheers

----
01.06.2007 - 14:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by APOHAKC on 01.06.2007 at 13:51

Yes, and Blind Guardian started like SPEED METAL! You wrote that on every topic where Blind Guardian is mentioned, I think everyone get it man
Cheers

But some still dont get it

Also Hammerfall its lil diferent metal, try lsiten early albums, its diferent lil diferent and heavyer how power , try watch firts 2 videos in metalstorm
----

apos;'
[image]
01.06.2007 - 14:28
APOHAKC
The Bard
I know dude, I have all of their albums on orginals (except last one), and I have DVD, I sknow that they changed a lot, and to be honest I like their old style more than new material. Same with Blind Guardian.. but those bands have power metal in their music, on their newest releases.
----
01.06.2007 - 14:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by APOHAKC on 01.06.2007 at 14:28

I know dude, I have all of their albums on orginals (except last one), and I have DVD, I sknow that they changed a lot, and to be honest I like their old style more than new material. Same with Blind Guardian.. but those bands have power metal in their music, on their newest releases.

I agree in newest realises its power and I dont like alst 2 BG albums, specely alst one, I woud trow it away if I had it original, but I love all previsuly, same about Hammerfal, i love them early albums, but some hwo newst isnt bad either
----

apos;'
[image]
01.06.2007 - 14:49
APOHAKC
The Bard
From Blind Guardian I am fan of first two albums, I also like Nightfall and Somwhere.. Altough they swithced their style on those albums

Regarding HammerFall I like Unbent, Unbound, Unbroken.. it is good album, altough different, but last album is totaly different, I don't like it at all
----
07.07.2007 - 16:10
Imraghil
there are enough good poer metal bands in europe.
03.08.2007 - 00:25
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Well I am very picky about my Power Metal......... I am totally alright with the themes, I LOVE Medieval Sagas!! But musically there has to be something to it, it has to stand out, it must have that 'metal spirit' , that attitude.

Like Dream Evil, Edguy, Hammerfall, Gamma Ray, Freedom Call........they carry that 'old-school metal vibe' that so many new bands have lost [well Kai Hansen ov Gamma Ray is from the old-school so they cheat lol ] . Like it's reminiscent ov when Metal was fun and not too tense/serious. it's catchy. Freedom Call also have that more 'European Flavour' too, very atmospheric.

Some standout bands..........

Rhapsody [now known as Rhapsody Of Fire], though i don't like Symphonic stuff, they are awesome with it, it's everything about the cinemas besides the visual aspect! Their songs tell ov a tale/story/saga. They are different. When you listen, it's like you're a part ov the legend. Same goes for Luca Turilli's solo band kind ov....................

Lost Horizon! They are the metal salvation! lol, the things they sing about are things that the world must come to realise! Their themes arouse my senses and brighten my self-esteem. Perfect for listening to while trying to fight depression. No band sounds like them! They're unique.

Power Quest......lol some may call them generic, but their songs are easy to sing along to and it is stuff you can relate to. Reminiscent ov Glam to some degree.

and Blind Guardian.........they're one ov the most unique Power bands ov them all, I mostly just listen to their late '80's speed metal and their '90's material, but they are power metal for people who dislike power metal! or would that be Children Of Bodom Another unique band [well before they sold out at least].

so you see, power metal can be good as long as the bands do something different! There has to be something to it! it MUST NOT be generic.

I'll vote "It's Good In Doses"
24.12.2007 - 19:57
Ascalon
it depends on the band.... you can find really good music in bands like Blind Guardian, Magic Kingdom, Rhapsody, Freedom Call ... more classic bands with more time playind and developing this aweosme genre... but you also have many bands with 2 o 3 years playing ... that use the base of real power metal ... even copying things and the problem is that they really make uninspired music .. too much keyboards and all the problem .. tge solution being selective ... I voted for it's awesome .. because in Europe you find really good bands in genereal but you have to be selective before listen to them...
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
25.12.2007 - 05:23
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
alot try to copy Stratovarius instead of being themselves.
30.12.2007 - 03:24
selken
Irreligious
Written by [user id=160] on 25.12.2007 at 05:23

That's kind of right, I've seen so many with songs based on Stratovarius' templates.
Even so, regardless of the genre, I really don't mind if a band is original or a copy of another good one, as long as I like the sound and the feeling, for example, Freedom Call and Dark Moor, I started to like a LOT these bands, however they don't aport anything new to the genre, even so, I love their music. but I do respect the genre masters like Stratovarius, Helloween, Gamma Ray and Blind Guardian. Anyway ALL the metal is AWESOME, from Darkthrone to Korn, burn me if you want, It won't change that.
----
30.12.2007 - 09:10
Opium
Account deleted
Written by selken on 30.12.2007 at 03:24

Written by [user id=160] on 25.12.2007 at 05:23

That's kind of right, I've seen so many with songs based on Stratovarius' templates.
Even so, regardless of the genre, I really don't mind if a band is original or a copy of another good one, as long as I like the sound and the feeling, for example, Freedom Call and Dark Moor, I started to like a LOT these bands, however they don't aport anything new to the genre, even so, I love their music. but I do respect the genre masters like Stratovarius, Helloween, Gamma Ray and Blind Guardian. Anyway ALL the metal is AWESOME, from Darkthrone to Korn, burn me if you want, It won't change that.

Dark Moor arguably did bring something new. They were and still are part of a minority that feature a darker take on the sound. Probably one of the first to attempt this in the European scene, too, seeing as they started in 1993. You'd be hard pressed to find a band that typically focused on a darker sound before then, considering that Power Metal was still in its formative years back then and not completely solidified in the history of Metal. Despite the most well-known bands being around in one way or another (Helloween having a few albums under their belt and Blind Guardian releasing demos under the monicker Lucifer's Heritage), there wasn't a ever-present and obvious darker sound, it was all mostly upbeat at that time, with a few brief appearances of more melancholic passages.
30.12.2007 - 21:25
While I admit there is a great amount of "generic" power metal to be found, I choose only to focus on the "inspired" bands for my purchases. The only way bland bands stay in business is by people purchasing their music. By contributing only to the great bands the lesses ones can be weeded out. I personally enjoy in particular, Kamelot, Pyramaze, Dark Moor, Nightwish and others that stand above and apart.
30.12.2007 - 23:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Knight Templar on 30.12.2007 at 21:25

While I admit there is a great amount of "generic" power metal to be found, I choose only to focus on the "inspired" bands for my purchases. The only way bland bands stay in business is by people purchasing their music. By contributing only to the great bands the lesses ones can be weeded out. I personally enjoy in particular, Kamelot, Pyramaze, Dark Moor, Nightwish and others that stand above and apart.

Man even if kamelot was Castel where King Artur live(even historicals cant find avidenec about such castle existemnce) it dont means that Kamelot is from Europe, its from USA
----

apos;'
[image]
31.12.2007 - 00:45
Charly546
If generic European power metal doesn't get too cheesy, then it's pretty listenable. But in small doses only.

And this is excluding all the "symphonic" stuff, I really can't stand those.
31.12.2007 - 05:39
Written by Bad English on 30.12.2007 at 23:18

Written by Knight Templar on 30.12.2007 at 21:25

Yes, three of the members are from Tampa Bay, FL and 2 are from Europe (Khan and Polotai). Your writing is difficult to understand. However, please continue to nitpick.

Man even if kamelot was Castel where King Artur live(even historicals cant find avidenec about such castle existemnce) it dont means that Kamelot is from Europe, its from USA
31.12.2007 - 06:03
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
The Power Metal in many cases use to be amazing, i don't have anything against it, but ona point...They usually open the disc with an intro and after the power song! after that the disc becomes sometimes boring. But, i don't care, i love power metal and i give a fuck because tyou will never read my post.
31.12.2007 - 09:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Even Dio are American still Rainbow are english band, even Abnela Gassol are from Germany band are swedish, even 2 Kamelot members are from Europe, band bases in states

@Knight Templar - Do you speek any forevenr langaige and can read greek caracters?
----

apos;'
[image]