Metal Storm logo
Getting Into: Sinner

Written by: Baz Anderson
Published: 10.07.2007

With these "Getting Into" articles I will present a fair, full description of a band's discography of studio albums with a clear rating out of five, as a way of aiding people that want to get into such bands but do not know where to start, as usually reviews have different authors and are written at different points in time - so this is a clear guide of how to get into the band in question.

Sinner
Heavy metal
Germany

Sinner have been going a long time now and have in most recent years drawn more attention as Matt Sinner's second role as bass player in Primal Fear. The band started back in 1980 though and have released a number of classic albums in the vein of great, 80's heavy metal in the true spirit of rock 'n' roll. Sinner are a must for all people who enjoy good classic hard rock and heavy metal - catchy choruses, the odd thundering speed metal number and a good heartfelt ballad. The band have never had such success regarding record sales as their heavy metal peers, but the heart has always been in the music and more often than not the band have delivered real good quality albums.

Wild 'N' Evil (1982) and Fast Decision (1983)

I will deal with these two together because most places list these two as actual full-length studio releases when in actual fact they are more like demos, but with the length of normal albums. As far as I believe these two were never officially released like the albums that emerged after these. The quality of music on these two albums is not particularly good as you can imagine, this is only beginning of the Sinner and these early recordings are nothing to go by when comparing with the albums that would follow.

Danger Zone (1984)

The first official Sinner album and it kicks off with the classic title track "Danger Zone", but unfortunately the rest of the album does not live up to the great, catchy start. "Fast, Hard And Loud" and "Rattlesnake" along with all the tracks on the album show a vast improvement from the works of the previous two years, but still this album lies in the shadow of what was to come.

Touch Of Sin (1985)

Here we have it probably hands down the best Sinner album released so far, although it hasn't been unchallenged at all. This album is full of true 80's heavy metal/hard rock classics - "Born To Rock" that is even now on the odd occasion played by Primal Fear live, the catchy "Bad Girl" and "Masquerade", speed metal monster, and absolute gem "Too Late To Runaway", and the very popular ballad that would be re-used multiple times "Knife In My Heart". This is an essential 80's heavy metal album that has such a good feeling about it.

Comin' Out Fighting (1986)

It was certainly a very tough task to live up to the previous album, but the band had a good go at it. The album sits pretty much in the same vein but unfortunately just is not quite so brilliantly catchy or appealing, but still is of good quality. The album does still have it's fair share of classics though - "Hypnotized" "Faster Than Light" "Lost In A Minute" and also the great "Germany Rocks", which all contribute to making this an album that is very much worth owning.

Dangerous Charm (1987)

Once again we have here a true 80's masterpiece of heavy metal. The album brimming to its surface with classics, this album also needs to find its way into your metal collection. "Concrete Jungle" is quite possibly my favourite Sinner track of all time, it will stick in your head for months, also the ballad "Knife In My Heart" makes its return. Title track "Dangerous Charm", and the lovely "Everybody Needs Somebody" and "Back In My Arms" make up this album's classics. This is the main contender for "Touch Of Sin" and should not be overlooked at all.

No More Alibis (1992)

A long gap of five years later and Sinner show no signs of rust at all, but unfortunately this is the last of the truly classic Sinner albums. "When A Heart Breaks" will have you singing along in dramatic fashion and of course the album has its great ballads "Where Where You", the wonderful "Don't Wanna Lose You" and "I'm Not Over You Yet". This is still very much in the 80's style even though the 90's was in full swing at this time. This is however the last album in this kind of style, from past this album the band changes a little.

Respect (1994)

The second album of the 90's, but this is the first album to move away from the classic 80's hard rock/metal sound and towards more of the modern sound of the time. Judas Priest's "Painkiller" had raised the bar for heavy metal that bit higher and the band needed to move on. "Respect" moves on in the way that the guitars, the vocals, everything seems much crisper and meaner. Lyrics also tackle issues more up to date for example the whole race thing with the title track. A re-recorded version of "Knife In My Heart" is also included, but this track can never go down badly. The album is on the whole still very good though - the 80's sound is still there, Sinner are band very much gloriously stuck in the 80's, but this album does make an attempt to move away slightly. Still one of the band's better albums and so recommended.

Bottom Line (1995)

The album is heavier even still than "Respect" and moves more in the direction they were heading with that album. The album starts off with such a catchy song "The Biggest Lie" but although the rest of the album is of good quality, it does not quite match up to "Respect" or the albums previous to that. The album has its moments, for example the opening track and the catchy "Rage Of A Hurricane". If you got on well with the previous albums then the chances are you will get on well with this album as well.

Judgement Day (1997)

This album carried on the trend of the last two albums direction - this is the first truly modern album the band recorded, the production is clear, the guitars are very heavy and modern sounding and quite a large chunk of that 80's feel that made Sinner so great was lost. A promo video was made for the rather average "Used To The Truth" which combined with the move in direction was the beginning of a campaign to generate more fans for the band. The most important thing is missing with this album though, that being interesting tracks that don't all have the same tone. Overall a very average album.

The Nature Of Evil (1998)

This album had by far the most advertising on the internet than any Sinner album previously and is probably the most successful Sinner album in that way that it is more known as being a modern classic. This album sounds very modern and much like a more traditional version of Primal Fear that had come into existence at this time. This album is everything that "Judgement Day" should have been, it has interesting, diverse tracks that are great and memorable. "A Question Of Honour" has even been re-recorded and placed on the 2005 Primal Fear album. Ralf Scheepers also makes a guest appearance here on the fast paced, highly enjoyable, power metal-ish "Trust No One". This album is essential for fans of modern, true heavy metal.

The End Of Sanctuary (2000)

All of a sudden it feels like "Comin' Out Fighting" again having to follow such a great, and this time popular release. The dawning of the new century brings a new slab of heavy metal though, and the band produce a really good follow up album. "Signed, Sealed And Delivered" and "Blood Relations" especially are two of the catchiest Sinner songs ever, and title track "The End Of Sanctuary" is also another great highlight of the album. The album is as diverse as the band's last effort but is maybe not quite so fresh for its time. Still, a very good quality slab of heavy metal that will most definitely please if you liked "The Nature Of Evil".

There Will Be Execution (2003)

After 19 years and the band change the logo that first appeared on 1984's "Danger Zone" (but don't worry, it is back in 2007) and the band clearly want to get their head firmly out of the sea of other heavy metal bands. This album is pretty much of the same standard as the last effort but sounds a little more fresh. "Requiem For A Sinner" for example is a great up tempo, faster track with great guitar, and "God Raises The Dead" is also in a way a half-ballad sort of, but is more catchy at the same time as well. Overall this is a great album like the past two, so again if the modern Sinner does it for you then this album most certainly will.

Mask Of Sanity (2007)

Old logo brought back and we have the latest instalment of the Sinner story. On first listen this album seems like just another Sinner album - but on closer inspection this album in places actually includes elements of those classic 80's albums, most notably "Can't Stand The Heat" and other tracks also seem much more up to date and fresh to listen to, such as "Thunder Roar" and the Primal Fear sounding "Under The Gun". The spirit of good, strong hard rock and heavy metal is still here as always and shows the Sinner is still going strong drawing on towards 30 years of history.

---

Overview

There are clearly two main sides to Sinner - the 1984 to 1994 classic 80's sound of metal, and then from 1997 to today we have a more refined, modern sound of heavy metal. Sinner have released two compilation albums reflecting these sides perfectly, the first "Germany Rocks - The Best Of Sinner" covers the 1984 to 1994 albums and was the album that introduced me to these seemingly undiscovered gems of albums. The second is suitable called "The Second Decade" and covers 1994 to the 1998 album just before it was released and shows off the first couple of albums of the modern Sinner. One live album "In The Line Of Fire - Live In Europe" covers up to the 1995 album and could also be a good way to introduce yourselves to the earlier Sinner, but the live environment does not capture the same retro studio feeling you get from the albums. In the end the message is quite simple; if you love German metal, if you love traditional and 80's sounding heavy metal, then Sinner are calling for you to listen and fall in love with them.

Written by Barry Anderson

Written on 10.07.2007 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 19   Visited by: 90 users
10.07.2007 - 13:44
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Good idea for articles ! Even if I personnaly don't really care about Sinner, it is interesting.
The 'plus' : the pumpkin notation ! so cool !

Which bands do you intend to discuss next ?
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
10.07.2007 - 13:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good job man realy good hehehehe i hope some day some one will do it whit X-Wild
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.07.2007 - 17:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Nice idea, although, just like Momo, I don't care about Sinner at all. Way too German sounding for my liking.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.07.2007 - 18:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.07.2007 at 17:31

Nice idea, although, just like Momo, I don't care about Sinner at all. Way too German sounding for my liking.

What you think about those classic heavy German bands like X-Wild, Grave Digger, Atlain, Bewacher, and Avanger/Rage(Early)

This woud be good poll/tread early heavy metal country battle UK . USA vs German
----

apos;'
[image]
10.07.2007 - 18:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Bad English on 10.07.2007 at 18:13

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.07.2007 at 17:31

What you think about those classic heavy German bands like X-Wild, Grave Digger, Atlain, Bewacher, and Avanger/Rage(Early)

This woud be good poll/tread early heavy metal country battle UK . USA vs German

All terrible bands IMO. I much much prefer the US bands of that era.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.07.2007 - 19:27
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
Nice idea for a series of articles, I think I might also end up doing something like this in the future

I do think that articles like this should be blog posts though. Thats precisely what they are for.
10.07.2007 - 20:09
iaberis
Advice Troll
Yeah nice idea. I'll might do one of these for Rammstein during the summer. I've been so long into them that I'm an expert!
----
Bitch! Please
11.07.2007 - 00:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by iaberis on 10.07.2007 at 20:09

Yeah nice idea. I'll might do one of these for Rammstein during the summer. I've been so long into them that I'm an expert!

We all know that band iMO such thins shood be about unk own bands or les known
----

apos;'
[image]
11.07.2007 - 00:58
Baz Anderson
staff
^^
haha, well I am going to write some for (very) well known bands..
when I was getting into metal and there was all these big names that I needed to get into, I would have loved some guide like this to point me towards the albums to go for first

of course once I have given my take one which albums someone should go for first, you can always comment and agree/disagree, etc.
12.07.2007 - 06:08
Søren
Lord of the Mosh
elite
Good job Baz. I totally dig the approach and the rating system. I'm kind of in agreement with Jup though in that I think this would be better on a blog. Unless, of course, there were enough to start a whole section and / or link directly from the band profiles.
12.07.2007 - 07:09
Baz Anderson
staff
Written by Søren on 12.07.2007 at 06:08

Good job Baz. I totally dig the approach and the rating system. I'm kind of in agreement with Jup though in that I think this would be better on a blog. Unless, of course, there were enough to start a whole section and / or link directly from the band profiles.

thanks!! yes!! the current plan is I am going to post more and it will be like a little series..
unfortunatley there arent hundreds of bands I know the entire discography of, that have more then six or seven albums.. hahaha.. so I can't keep going forever
12.07.2007 - 18:59
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 12.07.2007 at 07:09

Written by Søren on 12.07.2007 at 06:08

thanks!! yes!! the current plan is I am going to post more and it will be like a little series..
unfortunatley there arent hundreds of bands I know the entire discography of, that have more then six or seven albums.. hahaha.. so I can't keep going forever

A series ? great ! and so, if many people add others (if you agree to lend your concept, Baz) we could indeed start a whole section ! good idea.
One problem though : I think that too many of these articles would lessen the interest in regular, more in-depth reviews. Or maybe I'm just pessimistic.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
12.07.2007 - 20:14
Thryce
Retired Staff
elite
These sections of which you talk would become way to subjective with people giving undeserved and disproportional high ratings to albums. And that's the reason why these "Getting Into" series should get published as blogs... There is simply no way you can get an objective view about these "Getting Into" series, because they remain personal opinions of people about albums and bands.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
12.07.2007 - 20:41
Baz Anderson
staff
objective or not, reviews are a subjective view on an album - just think of this as a review of a band
if your logic that is - this being subjective means it should be a blog post, then surely all album reviews should also be
some magazines have featured articles similar to this as well as normal reviews.. I really don't see the problem with it.. it serves a good purpose like all publications
I have no doubts at all that this is article material

but whatever, this isn't the place to discuss this..
12.07.2007 - 21:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Okay my two cents. I think this is and ARTICLE and should NOT be psted as a blog. Like Barry said: See it is a series some maagzines also publish.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.07.2007 - 06:05
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Thumbs up on the Sinner feature - I think it's perfect for the site, and for the articles section as well. Keep them coming
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
17.07.2007 - 16:11
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Awesome idea, and I love your pumpkins! Much more of theese!
13.01.2009 - 22:13
Baz Anderson
staff
All the pumpkins have been put back into these articles now. Hopefully I'll write some more for you guys in a few months when university work is not eating my time.
15.01.2009 - 23:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Baz Anderson on 13.01.2009 at 22:13

All the pumpkins have been put back into these articles now. Hopefully I'll write some more for you guys in a few months when university work is not eating my time.

I hope time pass fats, because I realy miss those getting into .... bands thinks, or maybe I shood write article to ehh
----

apos;'
[image]

Hits total: 10263 | This month: 18