Metal Storm logo
Metal Introduction

Original post

Posted by F3ynman2000, 20.09.2021 - 08:25
My introduction to metal was Judas Priest's Electric Eye. What was yours?

Poll

What was the Metal Band that got you into metal?

Metallica
Other (Please Specify)
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Slayer
Megadeth
Pantera
Testament
Anthrax

Total votes: 50
28.09.2021 - 14:23
Zap
Written by Deadsoulman on 28.09.2021 at 14:13

That is an absolutely wonderful way to let your kids discover music and to guide them towards good stuff

You're absolutely right. I never even thought about it that way, but looking back I'm really happy he did that.

These days I try to introduce him to some of my music, and it sometimes pays off (before Covid we went to a few shows together sometimes, he mostly enjoyed Mastodon and Opeth, who he has both seen multiple times)
28.09.2021 - 14:54
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
contributor
Written by Zap on 28.09.2021 at 14:23

Written by Deadsoulman on 28.09.2021 at 14:13

That is an absolutely wonderful way to let your kids discover music and to guide them towards good stuff

You're absolutely right. I never even thought about it that way, but looking back I'm really happy he did that.

These days I try to introduce him to some of my music, and it sometimes pays off (before Covid we went to a few shows together sometimes, he mostly enjoyed Mastodon and Opeth, who he has both seen multiple times)

I'm glad you have such an awesome musical relationship with your dad! Thanks for sharing!
29.09.2021 - 11:58
tominator
At best deranged
contributor
Rammstein - Engel is where it all started. Soon after I discovered Iron Maiden (Running Free) and then the metal journey really began.
29.09.2021 - 11:59
Zap
Written by F3ynman2000 on 28.09.2021 at 14:54

I'm glad you have such an awesome musical relationship with your dad! Thanks for sharing!

So am I
29.09.2021 - 12:20
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
contributor
Written by tominator on 29.09.2021 at 11:58

Rammstein - Engel is where it all started. Soon after I discovered Iron Maiden (Running Free) and then the metal journey really began.

Nice!
01.10.2021 - 16:57
Omid87b
I was 12-13 years old (23 years ago)
And it started with the black album (MetallicA)
01.10.2021 - 17:23
Redel
Written by Omid87b on 01.10.2021 at 16:57

And it started with the black album (MetallicA)

Interesting start.
You could have ended up somewhere completely off metal, right?
06.10.2021 - 17:07
LeHugo
For me it was smoking in the boys room by Motley Crue, soon followed by Metallica, Anthrax, Testament, Slayer and Suicidal Tendencies. That might give you an idea of my age.
06.10.2021 - 19:01
I started with shit bands. First metal band was Slipknot, then probably System of a Down (or maybe it was the other way around?) when I was 15 years old. Of course, I no longer like either of them. I spent a good deal of time with Shadows Fall being my favorite band of all time.
07.10.2021 - 20:00
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
admin
My dad has been a fan of Thin Lizzy, Black Sabbath, Queen, Slade, and stuff like that since the era of their advent and he's always had a few scattered albums like Vulgar Display Of Power or Rust In Peace, so I know that as a child I heard and enjoyed at the very least Paranoid and Black Sabbath, and I recall a particular fondness for Thin Lizzy's Thunder And Lightning.

My proper introduction, however, when I first became consciously aware of how much I enjoyed this kind of music and wanted more of it, was Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind. All it took was the drum avalanche at the beginning of "Where Eagles Dare." To this day, I find it a very middling Maiden album, but that song is pure bliss. Shortly after that I got more into the basics, and I recall Paranoid (again), British Steel, Master Of Puppets, Ace Of Spades, and Overkill factoring in heavily.

Written by quieted_darkness on 06.10.2021 at 19:01

I started with shit bands. First metal band was Slipknot, then probably System of a Down (or maybe it was the other way around?) when I was 15 years old. Of course, I no longer like either of them. I spent a good deal of time with Shadows Fall being my favorite band of all time.

No shame in that. System is still one of my personal favorites and I return to Slipknot now and then, though they've always been more of a hit-or-miss band for me. They may always carry the stigma of having been part of a fad, but their musicianship, production, and originality are very much to be admired even now.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.