Metal Storm logo
What Made You Fall in Love With Metal?

16.11.2021 - 17:55
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
contributor
We're all here for one reason: we love metal!
Well, I was wondering what made all of us find this music genre so attractive?

This isn't a discussion for specific bands or albums.
Here I'm asking: what features in metal songs made you fall in love with the genre?

For me, I was attracted to metal because of:
- the overall addictive, fun energy
- riffs that make me feel like a badass
- epic atmosphere
- lyrics about extreme emotions, topics, and events (mythology, war, religion, death, etc...)

These things got me hooked and I subsequently delved into the depths of metal, learning to appreciate so many more aspects

So, what about you? What made you fall in love with metal, or simply: why is metal so damn hot?

02.12.2021 - 17:20
nonZero
An outlet for anger and expression.

I was an angry and confused teen, not sure where I fit in the world. Metal was (and still is) a great outlet for a lot of those feelings even in my 30s, giving a sense of belonging whilst also inspiring awe at many bands' works (especially Prog).

I find a lot of music to be incredibly one-dimensional, but the best metal has a combination of it all: beauty, darkness, despair and hope.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
02.12.2021 - 17:22
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
contributor
Written by nonZero on 02.12.2021 at 17:20

An outlet for anger and expression.

I was an angry and confused teen, not sure where I fit in the world. Metal was (and still is) a great outlet for a lot of those feelings even in my 30s, giving a sense of belonging whilst also inspiring awe at many bands' works (especially Prog).

I find a lot of music to be incredibly one-dimensional, but the best metal has a combination of it all: beauty, darkness, despair and hope.

Well put, I can relate to this
03.12.2021 - 22:39
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
contributor
Written by nonZero on 02.12.2021 at 17:20

Yeah definitely! Metal can be simple and fun.... but it can also be profound, epic, and beautiful!
22.11.2022 - 06:19
hamishduke
What made me fall in love with metal maybe i think that is the emotions because when listen the music so i enjoy this and our emotions are keep up to do love...
31.03.2023 - 01:52
norax
I made a suggestion for a group and a moderator "scolded" me for not participating in the forum xDD, He's right. So I came in and saw this interesting post.

Well, I'm in my 50s and I've been through a thousand musical styles: radio formula, electronic, new age, OST, pop, rock, celtic, world music, folk, I never found anything that satisfied me 100% and permanently and around 2004 I stumbled upon 3 bands: Draconian, Nightwish and Dark Sanctuary (I don't like the last album) and I fell down the rabbit hole, each band, each style was a new world to discover.

What did I find in metal? The fullness. The mixture of brutality and passion, the energy, the epic, the growls, the duality of opposite sensations like sadness-joy, hope-despair, etc.

I will keep travelling through this incredible universe

Sorry for my English. I use Deepl, that's why I don't write on the forum.
15.04.2023 - 22:42
Jacob Butcher
Personally I listen to ALL musical styles. Rap, elctronic, pop, punk... you name it. The only thing that is truely important for me is progression and variation. I hate listening to the same boring stuff all over again. I must say, that metal is quite unique, when it comes to variants. For instance, everyone will love Kendrick Lamar or rencently Caroline Polachek, but when you worship Dodheimsgard that is a totally different story that tells more about the listener than metal itself. In Metal people can love or hat Metallica while they love or hate Liturgy interchangeably. I just love that component! Metal is diversity!
16.04.2023 - 03:42
Netzach
Planewalker
staff
The energy, the creativity and variety, the technical skills (though I don't care much about this anymore), the breadth of emotions; from romantic to sad to uplifting to ugly to beautiful to hateful to hopeful, sometimes all within a single album or even song... The concepts and themes ranging from personal lyrics to songs about history, mythology, fiction, science; I've learned a lot from studying metal lyrics. The various nationalities and the way musicians impart their heritage on their music, the wide variety of influences from other genres and different cultures, and the use of foreign languages...

As a teen, it was a natural piece of the path towards finding my own identity after a tragic childhood where I had no chance to be part of any sort of community or learn any social skills. It was strengthening and encouraging me to walk my own path, be my own self, and not give a fuck about anyone who had opinions on this. For better or worse.

These days, I listen to a lot of different kinds of music. Still primarily metal (especially since I became a reviewer), but also psytrance, reggae, pop, various kinds of rock, folk music...

But I'll never forget the sense of "Wow, music can sound like THIS?" I got the first time I heard Nightwish's Oceanborn. I never looked back.
24.06.2023 - 13:09
icantsleep
I was mindlessly scrolling thru instagram and heard Metallica's "For Whom The Bell Tolls" it was the first real metal song i have ever heard and i felt something that i never felt while listening to any other song before. I went on to listen more of Metallica for some days.

Then i found Megadeth and when i heard Peace Sells i realized i was deeply in love with this kind of music and that was also the start of my journey. (which is fairly new)

And to the main reason i like metal. The instrumentals.. i feel every chord played in my heart. The signals are not detected by my brain its registered in my heart.
11.08.2023 - 17:58
TheCrazyGoat
Some day when I was in the last grad of primary school my uncle shown me Iron Maiden. From then my life changed forever.