05. Dismembered
06. Skin Her Alive
07. Sickening Art
08. In Death's Sleep
09. Deathevocation [bonus]
10. Defective Decay [bonus]
11. Torn Apart [bonus]
12. Justifiable Homicide [bonus]

This music is not meant for easy listeners on a family road trip or vacation, or anything like that; it's death metal after all,. Still, the Swedish death metal scene showed us that it needn't just be about having outrageously heavy guitar tone and bass, with deep harsh growls, and brutal lyrics, but that death metal could also be very fun and groovy, with great catchy melodies too. You could even argue that this was where the true origins of what was to become melodic death metal had actually began.

One of the most well known debates in death metal history has always been: which one out of [Left Hand Path and Like An Ever Flowing Stream is best? Or who is the ultimate Swedish death metal band, Entombed or Dismember? For me, it really doesn't matter; I get equal enjoyment out of both bands, and the same goes for those two classic albums, as both of these debuts are equally as iconic in their own right. Now, of course, Dismember had adopted the buzzsaw guitar tone from Entombed's Left Hand Path, but then, why not? It had proven to be so effective, and so became an essential asset to the early Swedish death metal scene, one that still sounds phenomenal to this day.

Now, I must first point out that the opening song, "Override Of The Overture", is clearly the standout track on this album, of which the same can be said for the opening title track on Entombed's Left Hand Path; both songs had an eerie ambient opening that erupted into a song filled with memorable moments, both with excellent solos, terrific songwriting and of course a tremendous memorable central riff. So, there are clear similarities right from the off between the two albums, but where these albums differ is in the riff department. Entombed had a much more general in-your-face brutal approach, yet still managed to maintain an element of groove, whereas Dismember had opted for an even more melodic approach; they still retained that heavy, brutal sound, but they did hold back slightly.

Now of course I've mentioned the opening track, which is going to be most people's choice of best song on the album, but there are other standout songson this album too; "In Death's Sleep" and "Dismembered" are arguably the next two best tracks, perhaps because they are the two longest songs on the album too, both having slower ambient build-ups compared with the other songs on the album and more varied structures. The rest of the tracks are much shorter than the three I already mentioned, but all contain great riffs, and flow effortlessly into one another.

The vocal performance here is excellent; the deep harsh growls had a slightly eerie effect that fit in perfectly well with the instruments. The drumming beats, heavy bass and groovy rhythm had all been structured excellently, and along with the buzzsaw guitar effect and gut wrenching lyrics. The whole sound and structure set the tone for a sheer vibe of horrific terror. You can almost imagine being chased by a lunatic with a chainsaw in the woods. Because the riffs are so damn melodic and groovy, there is oddly a humourous side to it; think of this album as the film Braindead, as opposed to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which would better describe the heavier, deeper and more sinister style in which Floridan death metal bands such as Obituary would play.

This isn't just a classic because of the significance it had during the time of its release, but musically it still holds up as one of the best ever albums in death metal. While some albums tend to age over time, this has done the opposite; it's always managed to retain that fresh sound, one that modern death metal acts still use today.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by AndyMetalFreak | 09.08.2022

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 57 users
10.08.2022 - 00:26
Rating: 9
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Awesome! Thanks for writing the review that this album has deserved for a long time!

Indeed one should be happy to have such two great classics of Swedish death metal in Left Hand Path and Like An Ever Flowing Stream. (I agree that the songs you mentioned are the best ones. I also find dirty pleasure in the short, fast songs "Bleed For Me" and "Soon to be Dead" )

I also found it interesting that you mentioned this might be credited as the start of melodeath. It's hard for me to pin down exactly where that started, but one could definitely make an argument for "In Death's Sleep" being the start of melodeath.

Like you said, this a masterpiece of death metal that still, incredibly, stands the test of time and stomps on almost all other death metal releases that came after it
10.08.2022 - 08:34
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Written by F3ynman2000 on 10.08.2022 at 00:26

Awesome! Thanks for writing the review that this album has deserved for a long time!

Indeed one should be happy to have such two great classics of Swedish death metal in Left Hand Path and Like An Ever Flowing Stream. (I agree that the songs you mentioned are the best ones. I also find dirty pleasure in the short, fast songs "Bleed For Me" and "Soon to be Dead" )

I also found it interesting that you mentioned this might be credited as the start of melodeath. It's hard for me to pin down exactly where that started, but one could definitely make an argument for "In Death's Sleep" being the start of melodeath.

Like you said, this a masterpiece of death metal that still, incredibly, stands the test of time and stomps on almost all other death metal releases that came after it

Thanks The songs you mentioned, "Bleed For Me" and "Soon to be Dead" are also very good songs, tbh there aren't many weak songs on the album, it's very consistent which is why I always considered it a classic. While many consider Heartwork by Carcass to be the first actual album that started the melodeath genre, I have always believed the first influences actually started here, this album was much more melodic than any death metal album before it.
12.08.2022 - 14:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good one, days when old school was reality when folk lived in days ,now we call this old school.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.08.2022 - 14:33
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Written by Bad English on 12.08.2022 at 14:13

Good one, days when old school was reality when folk lived in days ,now we call this old school.

Thanks Many bands try to keep that old school sound alive, which is great, and some do it very well, but your never going to get that true quality sound and spirit that the original death metal masterpieces had. This is a new era for metal, and we will probably look back 20 years from now and think the same about the modern releases as we did for those releases back then.
12.08.2022 - 14:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 12.08.2022 at 14:33

Written by Bad English on 12.08.2022 at 14:13

Thanks Many bands try to keep that old school sound alive, which is great, and some do it very well, but your never going to get that true quality sound and spirit that the original death metal masterpieces had. This is a new era for metal, and we will probably look back 20 years from now and think the same about the modern releases as we did for those releases back then.

In those days folk lived metal, bread metal, was metal, listened metal, plaid metal, looked metal and was metal. Many new bands just play metal, but those other elements are not into them.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.03.2024 - 16:08
Dannihilated

Legendary album that still gets played regularly! 8.75 out of 10
15.03.2024 - 16:24
Rating: 8
Redel

Written by Dannihilated on 15.03.2024 at 16:08

Legendary album that still gets played regularly! 8.75 out of 10