10. Sadistic Magician
11. Open Your Mind
12. Radioactive Force
13. Septic Detonation
14. Rigorous Vengeance
15. Born To Party
16. Thrashing Is My Business... And Business Is Good [bonus]
17. I Just Wanna Rock [bonus]

The Art Of Partying. The name says it all, there's no shocks or surprises in this album, what you see is what you get; in-your-face obnoxious crossover Thrash. Simply put, it kicks ass.

Opening up with 'Pre-Game' the mayhem ensues and it doesn't stop for a split second until the end. The mix of hardcore punk and Thrash vocals obviously aren't a high point on this album but they fit the top Speed/Thrash riffs perfectly. The title and the cover art (which is phenomenal by the way) doesn't leave much to the imagination as to what you're going to get. Not a very melodic experience to say the least. Though through the frantic guitar work and the yelling, a really sweet solo usually comes in to show people that there's more to the 'Waste then yelling and noise. Lyrics are another great part of the album, which is a huge surprise. The songs about mindless partying and pretty much destroying yourself actually have some poetic flow to them; "Tonight's the night we finally get to rip this place apart/and this is how we turn your boring party into art!", (yes I know, a very facile rhyme, but its better than a good chunk of hardcore lyrics). Even amongst the songs about partying there seems to be a deeper message; be yourself and do what you want! Even 'Mental Shock' is a song that seems to be a protest to capital punishment.

There are faults though, unfortunately. By the end of the album the music tends to lose any impact and becomes pointless noise. It becomes unenjoyable for the sober individual, but this is also coming from a guy who hasn't put time aside to listen to hardcore music before this. So it could become tedious only for the untrained ear.

Overall a great album, and especially great party music (duh!). Even the song titles alone are entertaining; 'ADD: Attention Deficit Destroyer' or 'Beer Pressure'. Highly recommended for people who enjoy loud, in your face fun. Not recommended for those people looking for "thinking man's music".

Highlights: 'Headbanger Face Rip', 'Lunch Hall Food Brawl', and 'Beer Pressure'.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Doc G. | 02.10.2007

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 138 users
17.11.2007 - 14:20
Ereinion'
Account deleted
This cd is really a great way to get into crossover Thrash metal
19.11.2007 - 04:04
Opium
Account deleted
This album wasn't a bore at all for me, I was quite surprised by the energy these guys have in their music, definitely recommended, even if you fear the hardcore vocals might deter you.

The rating is also pretty accurate, IMO.
19.11.2007 - 05:02
Ellie
Account deleted
I've seen this band live countless times in three different countries and the shows get better and better every time. The Art of Partying has been a great album and I expect MW to only get better

If you like this album and bands I definitely recommend Cross Examination and SSS.
17.01.2008 - 16:18
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I'll try to get this.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
17.01.2008 - 16:24
Existenzangst
Account deleted
I'm glad that bands like Municipal Waste are around, this stuff is so fucking great. It's like being back in 1984 at a Suicidal Tendencies gig! Can't wait to see this guys live again, brilliant!
26.06.2008 - 16:22
The Thrasher
Account deleted
What an album amazing these guys are very talented
21.12.2009 - 16:51
Panterica

I haven't heard of it much, but the title track is absolutely great! I mean, look at the fuckin' lyrics!
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
25.02.2010 - 12:30
Abattoir

Yea great release...music like this just blew you away. I wonder how they kick ass live
16.09.2010 - 21:43
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Is it worth $6.99?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.09.2010 - 23:40
Rating: 8
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Boxcar Willy on 16.09.2010 at 21:43

Is it worth $6.99?

yes. easily. i would have thought the review and score would have cleared that up.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.09.2010 - 21:17
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by BitterCOld on 16.09.2010 at 23:40

Written by Boxcar Willy on 16.09.2010 at 21:43

Is it worth $6.99?

yes. easily. i would have thought the review and score would have cleared that up.

alright then to comix plus!! we go!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.06.2011 - 07:11
Rating: 10
Guib
Thrash Talker
The Album is awesome IMO till the end. You can easily listen to every songs whitout having to skip the usual anoying filler... it just all fits perfectly and naturally together. +1 Municipal Waste.

Favorites:
- The Art Of Partying
- Sadistic Magician
- Headbanger Face Rip
- Born To Party
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
16.11.2015 - 16:22
Tomas Piller

@Doc: Hm, I got here first through seeing you rated it 10 in your votes and here in review it's suddenly 8 - so is it a difference between objective review and your subjective adoration of it or was it such a grower?

Hits total: 7124 | This month: 11