Attila Csihar (Mayhem)
Legion (Marduk)
Maniac (ex-Mayhem)

Total votes: 299
07.06.2006 - 00:00
Trifixion
Account deleted
Here's my post from this thread straight outta the old forums

For the poll I picked who I thought would be the more popular choices, I'm sure we'll get alot of "others" though.
Anyways, this was a hard one for me. Black Metal vocals are probably my favorite type of vocals in all it's different styles...but overall my favorite is probably Nocturno Culto. Absolutely countless vocalists have modeled themselves ater him and for good reason. He's the spokesboy of BM vocals and has a truly chilling sound to his voice. Attila was a close second for me, he has one hell of a creepy voice too. Varg as well. Who's yours??
07.06.2006 - 05:21
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
One of the main purposes of black metal is the vocals so there are many bands that have ridiculous screams. Nocturno Culto was the first person that came to mind, even though I'm not really a fan of Darkthrone, but the vocalist for Griffar is also amazing.

haha does Phil Anselmo of Viking Crown count?
07.06.2006 - 05:29
Mega-Slayer
Hey Trifixion,you need to have Tom Warrior on there.He is my favorite vocalist in black metal and one of my favs. period.You gotta love his "oohs" and ahhs".Cant really explain his vocals too well,so go listen to Morbid Tales and see for yourself.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
07.06.2006 - 05:56
Surtur
ARE YOU JOKING? the best one is Varg Virkens, you just have to hear him to feel suffer, their harsh vocals are a little bit differente from the usual BM singers, just the best...
----
" And every angel needs a tear to laugh "
07.06.2006 - 08:42
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Shagrath is imo the best BM vocalist,
Im not a big Dimmu fan, but that guy gets such variation in his voice its hard to put anyone next to him. In the 20 years existance of the growels and sneers, He is in my opinion the only one to perfect all the different pitches and roars a human can make as a growel.

But full credit must go out to the like of Satyr (Satyricon) Ihashn (Emperor, Peccatum, Ihashn) Abbath (Immortal, I) and another i enjoy for the sake of a different sound and great clean voice as well Cadaveria (Opera IX, Cadaveria)
07.06.2006 - 11:24
Hyvaarin
Karl from Mithotyn has the best BM voice I've ever heard. It conveys pain and despair as much as any other, but is really aggressive, and suits the music perfectly.

However, I hate voting 'Other', so it's gonna go to my second preference, Nocturno Culto.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
07.06.2006 - 16:57
^Necrolust^
From the list above,I definately prefer Attila.I love his voice,deep,majestic, not like the common bm vocals.
----
Sin my soul,blesses with fire....
07.06.2006 - 17:10
SvartHelvete
Account deleted
Personally my vote ill go to Varg he is the best one !!! but about voice "performance" well maybe shagrath got a more dynamic voice , this in my opinion
07.06.2006 - 21:12
Nightmare^
from all those in the poll, I choose Ihsahn....he has the style of vocals that I like the most in black metal....And I also like Shagrath of Dimmu Borgir for his hate-filled, misanthropic and haunting vocals...
----
07.06.2006 - 21:49
Revenant
Account deleted
Ihsahn becasue I prefer more demonic evil BM vocies than the ones that sound like they are dying horribly like Varg.
07.06.2006 - 22:47
Dam3k
I chosed others cuz I like Sagrath as someone said I like his vocals varieties from schrie to somthing more near to growl...
----

08.06.2006 - 03:56
Surtur
The voice of shagrath in Stormblast is great, it's aggresive, dynamic, devilish, in every songs he sang in different ways, but then it seems to be the same voice always and I don't like that...
----
" And every angel needs a tear to laugh "
08.06.2006 - 15:10
Kurzag
Account deleted
I like Valfar´s screams about anger and hate. I was a classy BM vocalist. You really hears is anger in his vocals.

Other vocalist worth mentioned is:

Nuclear Holocausto (Beherit): His strange and haunting vocals is pretty scary.

Neievrut (Ljå): Angry vocalst too, but also has a bit of grimness in it.

EDIT: Nattefrost is also a classy vocalist. Raw and filthy.
08.06.2006 - 19:19
Damnated
Churchburner
From the list I'd go for Csihár Attila, but there are so many good vocalists in BM, that it's pretty hard to decide actually. ATM I just love Stefanni (???) 's from Graveworm.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
08.06.2006 - 20:13
Daru Jericho
Varg. BM is supposed to be agonising, misanthorpic and hateful. Virkenes' vocals capture exactly that.

However, Baron Drakkonian Abaddon from Black Funeral is pretty awesome.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

09.06.2006 - 01:48
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I haven't heard anyone as good as the vocalist for Griffar. They are another great band from France, but I think they are on hiatus currently.
09.06.2006 - 02:02
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
From the list I chose Ihsahn, he has his style which I love and he can also combine his screeches with really decent melodic vocals. But considering that my definite favourite black metal album is "Nattens Madrigal" by Ulver, I´d say my actual favourite black metal vocalist is Garm. Hail the wolf!
09.06.2006 - 02:07
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Garm would be my first pick as will, second would be Grutle Kjellson of Enslaved - both for the same reasons - the raspy BM voice as well as their additional ranges - be it Garm's gregorian-esq singing or theatricality, or Grutle for his clean vocals that accompany Enslaved's work.

The evil demon frog sounding, Abbath would be third.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.06.2006 - 18:18
Heimdallr
Account deleted
Atilla Is My Favourite From The List.
Not Because He Is A Hungarian Too I Love His Voice On Mayhem's DMDS.
And Sear Bliss's Glory And Perdition. He's Like A Big Black Metal Machine :×O

Abbath And Legion Have A Great Voice Too...
10.06.2006 - 18:39
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Dead, I think "Live In Leipzig" has the ultimate Black Metal vocals...
11.06.2006 - 02:49
AntaeusM
Elite
other..Meyhna'ch from Mütiilation. Since this guy is the only one from the whole black metal scene who can sound depressed without any influence from the instruments. However, this is purely my opinion about the typical second wave black metal.

Since I think vocalists such as Hreidmarr(ex-Anorexia Nervosa) also have something amazing in their voice, it isn't really right to mention these type of vocalists as the best vocalist for BM, since it isn't really BM in its purest form.
11.06.2006 - 14:50
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Nergal from Behemoth. A continues flow of Blasphemy!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
11.06.2006 - 17:14
dark awakening
My favorite are Emperor Magus Caligula, and Themgoroth (ex Dark Funeral) both have great violence and feeling in their voice.
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
13.06.2006 - 15:12
Angel Deformity
Azathoth
I have a few favs that arent listed...

Hildorf from Draugar - pure depression and anger can be heard from his cries of torment, his vocals sound like they cause him a great deal of pain as well

Akhenaten from Judas Iscariot - his hi's and his lows are wicked, truly keeping the bm spirit alive well thats until JI ended, but you get the point

Satanic Tyrant Werwolf aka Nazgul from Satanic Warmaster - you can see how he is influenced vocally by varg but he puts his own raspiness into it... makes the music sound awesome.

Thats my 2 grim cents for now...
15.06.2006 - 01:46
Detric
King Of Twilight
Definitely Varg Vikernes. No one comes close to his deep screams, full of hate, despair and anxiety, I love it. Hvis Lyset Tar Oss is one of the best black metal albums ive ever heard, just brilliant.
15.06.2006 - 02:31
AntaeusM
Elite
Written by Angel Deformity on 13.06.2006 at 15:12

Akhenaten from Judas Iscariot - his hi's and his lows are wicked, truly keeping the bm spirit alive well thats until JI ended, but you get the point

Satanic Tyrant Werwolf aka Nazgul from Satanic Warmaster - you can see how he is influenced vocally by varg but he puts his own raspiness into it... makes the music sound awesome.

Seriously? I think both vocalists are just simply copies of what have be done before. Especially that guy from Satanic Warmaster. Probably one of the biggest Darkthrone clones out there.
15.06.2006 - 19:10
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
No votes for Quorthon? Man, that sucks.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
15.06.2006 - 23:35
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Written by Lucas on 15.06.2006 at 19:10

i think the same, but i think is better abbath from Immortal don't you think? well, quorton is great but abbath is one of the most aggressive vocalists, and what happen to Shagrath, his voice is awesome too
16.06.2006 - 00:30
Trifixion
Account deleted
Written by Vinnie R. on 15.06.2006 at 23:35

Written by Lucas on 15.06.2006 at 19:10

i think the same, but i think is better abbath from Immortal don't you think? well, quorton is great but abbath is one of the most aggressive vocalists, and what happen to Shagrath, his voice is awesome too

Eh I don't really like Shagrath, I think he sounds like a monotoned robot but you're right maybe I should have put him. And I'm no fan but I would hate to start an OMG DIMMU IS G4Y march here.
16.06.2006 - 03:58
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
maniac, pure and simple, deathcrush and chimera were great albums.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin