Metal Storm logo
Favorite Black Metal Vocalist

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 07.06.2006 - 00:00
Here's my post from this thread straight outta the old forums

For the poll I picked who I thought would be the more popular choices, I'm sure we'll get alot of "others" though.
Anyways, this was a hard one for me. Black Metal vocals are probably my favorite type of vocals in all it's different styles...but overall my favorite is probably Nocturno Culto. Absolutely countless vocalists have modeled themselves ater him and for good reason. He's the spokesboy of BM vocals and has a truly chilling sound to his voice. Attila was a close second for me, he has one hell of a creepy voice too. Varg as well. Who's yours??

Poll

Who's your favorite?

Other (who?)
Abbath (Immortal)
Ihsahn (Emperor)
Varg Vikernes (Burzum)
Nocturno Culto (Darkthrone)
Quorthon (Bathory)
Attila Csihar (Mayhem)
Legion (Marduk)
Maniac (ex-Mayhem)

Total votes: 299
18.08.2007 - 14:47
Basso
Account deleted
Im probably getting flayed for saying this but Wolf (Ronald Möbus) from Absurd has imo incredible vocals. Some people say he sounds like a duck and that hes horrible, but I really like him
21.08.2007 - 21:48
Imraghil
Shagrath!! Dimmu Borgir great band: Great voice, guitar, bass and drumm! 24 Sep in 013 live yeah!!
30.08.2007 - 18:40
Baz Anderson
Staff
it's got to be Ihsahn for me of course.. you all probably know how much I love Emperor - and his range of vocals fit in there perfectly..
the introduction of clean vocals definitely stirred things up a little!
31.08.2007 - 09:57
Chaosgoat
Written by Imraghil on 21.08.2007 at 21:48

Shagrath!! Dimmu Borgir great band: Great voice, guitar, bass and drumm! 24 Sep in 013 live yeah!!

Shagrath is really good but judging by the choices, i think were talking 1st/2nd wave BM or "tr00" BM as some closed minded people call it, so I'm going to say Quarthon of Bathory as he pretty much created black metal vocals as we know them.
05.09.2007 - 16:44
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I voted for other, as Grutle Kjellson is my favorite BM vocalist. Anyway I agree, with Lichspawn, that Quorthon deserves more credit, as he was the first artist I know, who created these high pitched BM shrieks, and the high pitched vocals of bands like Burzum would't have emerged without his influence.
09.09.2007 - 23:56
deathovertime
Account deleted
I voted for Ihsahn. Emperor are my favourite band and I think it's quite fantastic how he can go from screaming in a song to quite melodic singing. Seen them live too, stunning.
16.09.2007 - 01:56
Fane
Varg for sure! His voice is just hellish... and in good way =P Ihshan has awesome voice too. He would be second here.
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
30.09.2007 - 23:37
Øyvind
Grave Digger
I don't know whether you can count Simen Hestnaes, aka ICS Vortex in this, so I'll go for Shagrath. Oh, and there's also the vocalist from a Canadian band Thorazine, he is also great
----
01.10.2007 - 08:26
ASiema113
I personally feel that Satyr has the most appealing vocals b/c he has done vocals for several bands that have been quite brilliant, even if to me Satyricon has gone down the hole. And if not for Satyr I would have voted for Ishahn, although I'm somewhat suprised not to find Satyr as one of the names on this roster. I guess that's what other's for .
----

Written by [user id=22888] on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
02.10.2007 - 03:09
juliocb
satyr is a really good vocalist and the one of 1349, whose name I don't remember XD
----
http://www.ballade.no/nmi.nsf/pic/carpatian_forest_01/$file/carpatian_forest_01.jpg
02.10.2007 - 10:39
ASiema113
@Juliocb: I believe he goes by the name of Ravn.
----

Written by [user id=22888] on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
04.10.2007 - 06:52
juliocb
Written by ASiema113 on 02.10.2007 at 10:39

@Juliocb: I believe he goes by the name of Ravn.

oh, thanks
----
http://www.ballade.no/nmi.nsf/pic/carpatian_forest_01/$file/carpatian_forest_01.jpg
05.10.2007 - 04:45
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
I like Satyr's vocals. Satyricon is underrated as hell IMO.
05.10.2007 - 10:14
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
I voted Abbath from Immortal, although Varg Vikernes comes in a very close second place.
----
THRASH!!!
05.10.2007 - 22:01
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by [user id=26018] on 05.10.2007 at 04:45

Just as Now, Diabolical is.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.10.2007 - 23:52
Sunioj
Even though Im not a huge fan of Satyricon, Satyr's vocals are pretty damn good. For the last few months Silenius ( abigor, summoning ), Attila, and the vocalist of Nokturnal Mortum have stood out for me. But Ive just appreciated Attila even more recently with Orbo Ad Chao, and plus his voice has many shapes and doesn't blow out his voice all on one track.
05.10.2007 - 23:53
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
I would go for old Shagrath and that rasped voice that gave life to such a haunting performance such as the one at Kraków, Poland. I would die to have that complete performance.

Kristoffer Olivius is also worth mentioning. He also has a powerful voice. It's a pity that through his voice can get to pass some really clichéd words.

And we also have our Attila with his chants, and Malefic with his desperateness... never mind. Can't pick only one and there is so much diversity out there.
----
Christless
06.10.2007 - 00:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Darth Satanious on 05.10.2007 at 23:53

I would go for old Shagrath and that rasped voice that gave life to such a haunting performance such as the one at Kraków, Poland. I would die to have that complete performance.

When it was and I mena live performencvc and hwo you saw it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.10.2007 - 03:54
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 05.10.2007 at 22:01

Written by [user id=26018] on 05.10.2007 at 04:45

Just as Now, Diabolical is.

Grr...I said I liked a couple of tracks on it! Lol.

Shadowthrone is amazing though.
06.10.2007 - 05:30
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Bad English on 06.10.2007 at 00:23

When it was and I mena live performencvc and hwo you saw it

Is the performance from the second disc off the World Misanthropy DVD. I am sure there were more songs that were not featured in that disc.
----
Christless
08.10.2007 - 09:48
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Written by Darth Satanious on 06.10.2007 at 05:30

Is the performance from the second disc off the World Misanthropy DVD. I am sure there were more songs that were not featured in that disc.

It's probably that concert taped on a video cassette originally There has to be more, but I don't reckon it's possible to put it all on DVD, because the quality is poor, and maybe Dimmu don't like the rest of that performance
----
09.10.2007 - 05:33
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Øyvind on 08.10.2007 at 09:48

Written by Darth Satanious on 06.10.2007 at 05:30

It's probably that concert taped on a video cassette originally There has to be more, but I don't reckon it's possible to put it all on DVD, because the quality is poor, and maybe Dimmu don't like the rest of that performance

I don't know what performance you are talking about. Perhaps you can give links for watching or more information?

The one I am talking about has great quality. Here is part of the performance:

1) Stormblåst:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kqbj_v1J4Q

2) Hunnerkongens Sorgsvarte Ferd Over Steppene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujZH22Fx-To

It seems to me that they left the rest because there was no space left in the DVD or because they simply didn't want to put everything. I don't know.
----
Christless
09.10.2007 - 06:58
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
mmm the guy from Bal-Sagoth i just love it's very gross
----
Stay Metal !!!
09.10.2007 - 18:02
Fernando Guerra
Account deleted
That's not Varg nor Maniac. I go for Satyr. Just had to remember his perfomance on Dark Medieval Times, Shadowthrone to decide, oh Nemesis Divina also.
09.10.2007 - 22:13
Mustis
Account deleted
damn the best black metal singer for sure is Shagrath from Dimmu Borgir, this is the best band of black in the world, excellente singer, (also clean voice of Vortex)
10.10.2007 - 10:26
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Written by Darth Satanious on 09.10.2007 at 05:33

I don't know what performance you are talking about. Perhaps you can give links for watching or more information?

1) Stormblåst:

It seems to me that they left the rest because there was no space left in the DVD or because they simply didn't want to put everything. I don't know.

I'm talking about that stuff they put on Godless Savage Garden, I thought that's the thing you were talking about
----
10.10.2007 - 15:42
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Øyvind on 10.10.2007 at 10:26

Written by Darth Satanious on 09.10.2007 at 05:33

1) Stormblåst:

I'm talking about that stuff they put on Godless Savage Garden, I thought that's the thing you were talking about

As a matter of fact, I think that some of the bonus live tracks from that EP are indeed audio recordings from this DVD of World Misanthropy. At least I am sure that the song Stormblåst is from it.
----
Christless
10.10.2007 - 17:47
Stigmatized
Nowadays I have to go with Hreidmarr of Anorexia Nervosa or Pasi from Ajattara. You can feel the pain in their voices.
10.10.2007 - 22:03
Øyvind
Grave Digger
@Darth Yeah, that Stormblast clip from Youtube is featured in the EP, you're right.
----
10.10.2007 - 23:11
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Come to think of it, maybe Vicotnik is my favorite after all, I really like his vocals on Written in Waters.