Metal Storm logo
Darkspace

09.09.2008 - 02:35
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Darkspace, getting bigger by the day, are a rather awesome ambient black metal band from Switzerland and comprise the brain behind the legendary Paysage d'Hiver. They've had 3 releases now, 'III' this year released to pretty huge critical acclaim. All their stuff is quite similar, very cold, slightly abbrasive lo-fi black metal occasionally permeated by spacey keyboards somewhere in the thickness of it all. Despite how commonplace ambient BM is, Darkspace manage to carve out a pretty decent niche with their unique space themed music. 'III' was a somewhat more melodic affair, giving them some accessibiity without compromising their harsh sound too much and was a highlight for me this year, and many others I'm sure.
09.09.2008 - 09:32
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Paysage d'Hiver are too pretentious for their own good, so I'm glad Darkspace isn't like that at all. The atmosphere they created, especially in I, actually makes you feel like your in some sort of Satan universe or something xD. I is still my favorite, but III isn't far behind. II doesn't mean much to me...
09.09.2008 - 10:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Just listened it in myspace quate good but space I space IV hehe good album titles but same whit dark, Im not fun of bands whit all untiled songs, I prefere where is some songs, but muisc here are good
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.09.2008 - 12:29
TheBigRossowski
Darkspace III was a pretty good album! The only way I first about this band was through some Smurfs . I'm looking forward to hearing more!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
09.09.2008 - 14:45
Damnated
Churchburner
could have sworn there was a topic about them.. guess i was discussing this band somewhere else then.

anyways, Darkspace is really cool. hehe. i got bored with the whole ambient bm sound, but somehow these guys still manage to entertain me. my fav album from them is the first one, i heard their latest only a couple of times, thus it didn't really sink in.

i like that Möckl is focusing more and more on this project rather than on paysage. that sort of music is really limited.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
09.09.2008 - 22:41
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 09.09.2008 at 10:03

Just listened it in myspace quate good but space I space IV hehe good album titles but same whit dark, Im not fun of bands whit all untiled songs, I prefere where is some songs, but muisc here are good

I really like how the song names are just numbers. Gives the impression of pure science, no pithy overly poetic "black" names to ruin the cold state of the music =]
09.09.2008 - 22:42
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by TheBigRossowski on 09.09.2008 at 12:29

Darkspace III was a pretty good album! The only way I first about this band was through some Smurfs . I'm looking forward to hearing more!

Smurfs? This was some LSD/Mushroom trip you were having yes?
09.09.2008 - 22:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=4365] on 09.09.2008 at 22:41

I really like how the song names are just numbers. Gives the impression of pure science, no pithy overly poetic "black" names to ruin the cold state of the music =]

For me I dont like such simple titles all time, its hard understand what band try to say , but if its fiew bands its ok, but if all give such titles
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.09.2008 - 22:48
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 09.09.2008 at 22:46

Written by [user id=4365] on 09.09.2008 at 22:41

For me I dont like such simple titles all time, its hard understand what band try to say , but if its fiew bands its ok, but if all give such titles

Well yeah if every band did it there might be some problems Although, if all bands gave very simple, arbitrary names for their bands, albums and tracknames it would make illegal downloading impossible as nobody would be able to search for them with accuracy =]
09.09.2008 - 23:06
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
LOL good point, Velvet

II actually sounds similar to some Paysage d'Hiver material... that's probably why I don't like it so much. It's the only album that I bought by them too!
09.09.2008 - 23:11
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I still need to get "I". Actually, I think "II" is a very good album too. But III tops them all, I guess.

By the way, the main thing I like about them is the huuuuuuuuuuuuuge vortex of "dying screams", which i at first mistook for guitar distortion. Awesome band. Needs to be played loud in the dark, obviously.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
09.09.2008 - 23:17
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Hmm I always got the impression that 'II' was their most liked and 'I' the least. I think 'III' is their best too though but I have listened to it a lot more.

Yeah their sound is quite dense, most of the time I dunno what I'm hearing. It's all good though =]
09.09.2008 - 23:20
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 09.09.2008 at 23:06

LOL good point, Velvet

II actually sounds similar to some Paysage d'Hiver material... that's probably why I don't like it so much. It's the only album that I bought by them too!

That's a bit unlucky could sell it and get III! Personally I find that Paysage d'Hiver take the production thing too far, it's senseless making music that's virtually impossible to hear, and making 30 minute + songs of that kind of music is equally pointless.
09.09.2008 - 23:21
Damnated
Churchburner

For me I dont like such simple titles all time, its hard understand what band try to say

yes, bands usually communicate their message in song titles. :

that's why Darkspace is so good, because they don't focus neither on album covers, song/album names and lyrics. only on music.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
10.09.2008 - 06:24
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 09.09.2008 at 23:21

For me I dont like such simple titles all time, its hard understand what band try to say

yes, bands usually communicate their message in song titles. :

that's why Darkspace is so good, because they don't focus neither on album covers, song/album names and lyrics. only on music.

This must be the first time in my life I see someone arguing that putting emphasis (focusing in) in lyrics may affect musical quality (that's what you tried to say in the last line?). A great artwork and songs/album names are generally a very good complement, also.

I can't really stand Darkspace btw... their music sounds too chaotic, trying too hard to be opressive while their songwriting isn't that genial. Esoteric makes this kind of music simply MUCH better.
10.09.2008 - 11:43
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=5080] on 10.09.2008 at 06:24

This must be the first time in my life I see someone arguing that putting emphasis (focusing in) in lyrics may affect musical quality (that's what you tried to say in the last line?). A great artwork and songs/album names are generally a very good complement, also.

DSO is the prime example. for me at least. Fas is perfect lyrically, but it fails musically.

also, there are a lot of examples for elaborate song titles, album titles, band names with average or bad music. half of the core scene for example.
i'm not saying that good lyrics are in direct proportion with uninspired music, but i enjoy music for the music itself, and i'm usually not impressed solely by lyrics and/or imagery. that's why i prefer good music with shitty/minimal lyrics over mediocre/bad music with good words.
----

10.09.2008 - 11:50
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 10.09.2008 at 11:43

DSO is the prime example. for me at least. Fas is perfect lyrically, but it fails musically.

also, there are a lot of examples for elaborate song titles, album titles, band names with average or bad music. half of the core scene for example.
i'm not saying that good lyrics are in direct proportion with uninspired music, but i enjoy music for the music itself, and i'm usually not impressed solely by lyrics and/or imagery. that's why i prefer good music with shitty/minimal lyrics over mediocre/bad music with good words.

Seriously, I have to ask, people always praise DSO's lyrics but does anyone actually remotely understand them? I've looked at them from time to time and I can't make heads or tails of it. I just wonder if people clock on to DSO's overly convoluted content and automatically assume what they're saying is actually intelligent and meaningful.
10.09.2008 - 14:17
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=4365] on 10.09.2008 at 11:50

Seriously, I have to ask, people always praise DOS's lyrics but does anyone actually remotely understand them? I've looked at them from time to time and I can't make heads or tails of it. I just wonder if people clock on to DSO's overly convoluted content and automatically assume what they're saying is actually intelligent and meaningful.

i don't claim i get everything they say, but most of their stuff is understandable. and it's a good read.
----

10.09.2008 - 14:30
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 10.09.2008 at 14:17

Seriously, I have to ask, people always praise DOS's lyrics but does anyone actually remotely understand them? I've looked at them from time to time and I can't make heads or tails of it. I just wonder if people clock on to DSO's overly convoluted content and automatically assume what they're saying is actually intelligent and meaningful.

most of their stuff is understandable. and it's a good read.

I'll have to take your word on that, to me it's nothing more than poetic ambivalence.
10.09.2008 - 15:27
MathC
Account deleted
Darkspace is good stuff. I prefer Paysage d'hiver though.
10.09.2008 - 17:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Hey Guys... what the hell is DOS
I really hate when people write abbreviation that few people know.

Anyway, about Darkspace... Their music seems really good to me. I like that kind of "wall of sound"

And the atmosphere really makes me feel like I'm in the space.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
10.09.2008 - 18:21
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.09.2008 at 17:45

Hey Guys... what the hell is DOS
I really hate when people write abbreviation that few people know.

Anyway, about Darkspace... Their music seems really good to me. I like that kind of "wall of sound"

And the atmosphere really makes me feel like I'm in the space.

"DOS" is a typo on my part that was supposed to "DSO" = Deathspell Omega.
11.09.2008 - 02:08
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt

Written by Damnated on 10.09.2008 at 11:43

Seriously, I have to ask, people always praise DSO's lyrics but does anyone actually remotely understand them? I've looked at them from time to time and I can't make heads or tails of it. I just wonder if people clock on to DSO's overly convoluted content and automatically assume what they're saying is actually intelligent and meaningful.

I've looked up some of their lyrics online and they're really interesting - probably the only band that raises questions instead of just making fun. The Sola Fide deal is really interesting.

Has anyone actually bought Dark Space III yet?
11.09.2008 - 02:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I still gotta check Darkspace out.

As for the DSO discussion, like Velvet I can't make head or tail of it, just pseudo-intellectual satanic so-called poetic ramblings, whereas the music is brilliant. Had they released FAS lyricless it would have been so much better than it is now. What I notice is that people that downloaded FAS think that musically it isn't strong whereas people that bought it on an original carrier (cd, vinyl, whatever) and have a good stereo (so not playing it on their computer) find it musically great, especially the dynamics are fucking perfect on FAS.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.09.2008 - 13:15
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.09.2008 at 02:26

I still gotta check Darkspace out.

As for the DSO discussion, like Velvet I can't make head or tail of it, just pseudo-intellectual satanic so-called poetic ramblings, whereas the music is brilliant. Had they released FAS lyricless it would have been so much better than it is now. What I notice is that people that downloaded FAS think that musically it isn't strong whereas people that bought it on an original carrier (cd, vinyl, whatever) and have a good stereo (so not playing it on their computer) find it musically great, especially the dynamics are fucking perfect on FAS.

i dislike Fas because it's just too technical and lifeless. it has nothing to do with the fact that i have it in digital format.
----

11.09.2008 - 16:30
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 11.09.2008 at 02:08

Has anyone actually bought Dark Space III yet?

I did.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
12.09.2008 - 03:06
SK921
Account deleted
Dark Space III is very interesting experience.
23.07.2009 - 15:34
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Tried them once, but for me, it was just horrible and unbearable depressing noise...apologize to fans
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

17.11.2010 - 22:07
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Dudes we drastically need more Darkspace talk. Last post in '09 is a disgrace.

Anybody have any news on them? What the hell are they doing these days? I'm guessing they spend a lot of time in the K-hole lol. Or DXM.
----

17.11.2010 - 22:41
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Lucas on 17.11.2010 at 22:07

Dudes we drastically need more Darkspace talk. Last post in '09 is a disgrace.

Anybody have any news on them? What the hell are they doing these days? I'm guessing they spend a lot of time in the K-hole lol. Or DXM.

Lately I have been enjoying them immensly "me and my best fiend actually" they are exceptional and massivly addictive
been searching for news but I found nothing, I heard they are great live have anyone attended any of their concerts??
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.