Quo Vadis
Cryptopsy
Into Eternity
Gorguts
Martyr

Total votes: 230
28.06.2006 - 09:19
Endoftherainbow
I had created another topic similar to this on the old forum "What Canadian Death Metal Band is best?" but now I have decided I want to create a new thread but more broad. Canada is home to many great metal bands especially in the genre of death metal. What Canadian Metal Band do you think is best and why? What is your favorite album by the band? What do you think of the other Canadian bands? Please refrain from picking other if your choice is Rush because I don't want them included in this pole because I don't consider them metal.

I couldn't chose between two bands so my favorite Canadian Metal bands are Quo Vadis and Devin Townsend. Devin Townsend because they put on a great live show and all of their albums are amazing. My favorite Devin Townsend album is Infinity because it has my favorite song by them "Bad Devil". Quo Vadis because they are the best Technical Death Metal band in my opinion. All of their albums are great but my favorite is Defiant Imagination. Their riffs are amazing and Yanic Berciers drumming is untouchable IMO.

Other Canadian bands that I like are Cryptopsy, Into Eternity, Kataklysm, Strapping Young Lad, and Annihilator.
28.06.2006 - 09:32
TheKreator
Account deleted
haha...Cryptopsy and Kataklysm are two awesome bands, but my roots remain in the true thrash metal area, so it will be Annihilator for me ; they are mong the gods of thrah...they "set the world on fire"
28.06.2006 - 10:44
VenoM_BM
Account deleted
It's quite hard with such good bands as: Hanker, Anvil, 3 Inches of Blood, Sword, Othyrworld, Betrayer, Warmachine (The Beginning of the End), Ivory Knight, Thor (a band with some of the funnyest lyrics & songs, for exampe Fubar) Antiquus or Fist. It's quite hard to decide betwwn Hanker, Anvil, Sword and Warmachine but I'll go for Anvil because of clasics like: "Forged in Fire", "Metal On Metal" or my favorite "Worth the Weight". This means I'll vote other.
28.06.2006 - 11:37
Varoth
Account deleted
My favourite Canadian metal bands are Slaughter, Blasphemy, Sacrifice and Obliveon. I think I like Slaughter the most, because of their album Strappado. Even if I don't know anything else by them, I simply love that album ever since I heard it. My second favourite would be Blasphemy, because I like everything I've heard by them, but especially their demo Blood Upon The Altar and their album Gods Of War. I guess I'm voting for other too.
28.06.2006 - 11:50
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
I vote for Martyr hands down. They were the first technical death metal band I heard, and tech death became one of my fav. genres. I was hooked ever since I heard the opening of Hopeless Hopes. Warp Zone was a BRILLIANT album as well. One of the most technical bands ever.
In second place would be Gorguts and Cryptopsy. Third - Quo Vadis and Obliveon.
Slaughter, and Sacrifice are real good bands too. Axis of Advance, Sacrementary Abolishment, Rites Of Thy Degringolade and the whole war metal scene is worht mentioning too.

I love Canada
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
28.06.2006 - 20:41
Baz Anderson
Staff
its good old Strapping Young Lad for me!
i have known them the longest (i think), and i used to love them sooooooo much! but then after 'Alien' i kinda went off them a tiny bit.
the new album could easily put me in a Strapping mood though

Kataklysm, Devin Townsend and Ctyptopsy are also other favorites of mine
my second choice would be Cryptopsy though, and then Devin Townsend. all brilliant stuff (apart from i cant get into the new Kataklysm album)
29.06.2006 - 01:56
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This was a hard decision for me but I chose Kataklysm. Not only are the drums fast as hell, but the song structures in general are great. I don't like the vocals or lyrics though.
30.06.2006 - 07:20
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
strapping young lad, i find kataklysm really boring and overrated.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
30.06.2006 - 07:28
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Doc G. on 30.06.2006 at 07:20

haha you kinda of contradicted your signature...
30.06.2006 - 07:36
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Dangerboner on 30.06.2006 at 07:28

yes i did, in a way. but all these people are raving about kataklysm so i decided to buy vision of chaos and it just sounded like a bunch of noise and there was no melody to it. what i meant in my signature is when your trying to argue with someone but they cant back up there argument so they just say "thats just your opinion"
----
- George Carlin
30.06.2006 - 07:42
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Doc G. on 30.06.2006 at 07:36

yes i did, in a way. but all these people are raving about kataklysm so i decided to buy vision of chaos and it just sounded like a bunch of noise and there was no melody to it. what i meant in my signature is when your trying to argue with someone but they cant back up there argument so they just say "thats just your opinion"

Well I am the only one who voted for them so I guess they aren't THAT popular lol. Vision of Chaos isn't a good example of Kataklysm. Check out Shadows and Dust or Serenity in Fire. Temple of Knowledge is good too, but if you don't like Vision of Chaos then you most likely won't like that one.
30.06.2006 - 07:55
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Out of the list, Martyr, probably. With Annihilator and SYL behind them. I am not that familiar with any of the bands there, but I have heard enough to judge. I really enjoy Martyr's type of Technical Death Metal. It's reminiscent of, but superior to Death's later works. Not to mention, I love Mongrain's wicked vocals.
----
The force will be with you, always.
30.06.2006 - 10:16
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Dangerboner on 30.06.2006 at 07:42

Well I am the only one who voted for them so I guess they aren't THAT popular lol. Vision of Chaos isn't a good example of Kataklysm. Check out Shadows and Dust or Serenity in Fire. Temple of Knowledge is good too, but if you don't like Vision of Chaos then you most likely won't like that one.

i guess il check those out if you say vision of chaos isnt a good example, perhaps i may be wrong.
----
- George Carlin
30.06.2006 - 16:17
Ruines
Account deleted
i voted "Other".

IMO Despised Icon is the best new school Canadian metal band. Heavy, sick vocals, sick shows, friendly band members. And Yannick is mixing a lot of albums for emerging artist in the quebec metal scene.
30.06.2006 - 21:32
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Doc G. on 30.06.2006 at 10:16

Written by Dangerboner on 30.06.2006 at 07:42

i guess il check those out if you say vision of chaos isnt a good example, perhaps i may be wrong.

Yeah, be sure to do that. During the Vision of Chaos era they had a totally different lineup and played a different form of music. They're more structured now and have impressive drumming and guitar riffs.
01.07.2006 - 03:00
Erosive Offals
Account deleted
How can you have a Canadian metal poll without including Voi Vod?!? Well, I picked other.
01.07.2006 - 05:18
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by [user id=641] on 01.07.2006 at 03:00

How can you have a Canadian metal poll without including Voi Vod?!? Well, I picked other.

Hells yes! Good thing you said that man because I totally was coming in here to say that! Voivod to me were one of the greatest metal bands of Canada in the last 20 years...
01.07.2006 - 06:06
Mega-Slayer
Hello,Exciter anyone?I own "Long Live The Loud",excellent album.Metalstorm needs to add Exciter.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
01.07.2006 - 13:05
EvilOstrich
Account deleted
Jeez, that's weird, the last two posts before the one above this one were both for a band no one had mentioned, and now Mega-Slayer and myself both agree on Exciter being the best. Just go check out my profile and I have Exciter listed as one of my favorite bands. They are awesome. I own Heavy Metal Maniac, Violence & Force, and Unveiling the Wicked. They are all excellent thrashy, speedy releases that anyone who is a fan of that kind of music needs to hear.
02.07.2006 - 02:44
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I didn't even know that Exciter is from Canada so I didn't take them into consideration. They're really fucking good, but I still prefer Kataklysm.
02.07.2006 - 04:33
Stigmatized
I'm gonna go with Cryptopsy.....None So Vile is one incredible album. I also have Blasphemy Made Flesh and Once Was Not, which I like as well.
02.07.2006 - 04:54
Daru Jericho
Oh, this requires thought. A lot of the bands on and off that list are fucking amazing. However, I shall stick my vote with Annihilator. They're one of the first thrash bands I've heard and I can't stress how much Alice In Hell is a masterpiece! More dark and evil than a load of black metal bands

Cryptopsy are probably second.

And yes, it is an injustice to omit Voivod!
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

02.07.2006 - 19:11
Hellish Star
Written by [user id=2267] on 28.06.2006 at 10:44

It's quite hard with such good bands as: Hanker, Anvil, 3 Inches of Blood, Sword, Othyrworld, Betrayer, Warmachine (The Beginning of the End), Ivory Knight, Thor (a band with some of the funnyest lyrics & songs, for exampe Fubar) Antiquus or Fist. It's quite hard to decide betwwn Hanker, Anvil, Sword and Warmachine but I'll go for Anvil because of clasics like: "Forged in Fire", "Metal On Metal" or my favorite "Worth the Weight". This means I'll vote other.

Indeed, there's much moren than the bands listed here. How about Eidolon?
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
03.07.2006 - 03:10
Mega-Slayer
Written by [user id=950] on 01.07.2006 at 13:05

Jeez, that's weird, the last two posts before the one above this one were both for a band no one had mentioned, and now Mega-Slayer and myself both agree on Exciter being the best. Just go check out my profile and I have Exciter listed as one of my favorite bands. They are awesome. I own Heavy Metal Maniac, Violence & Force, and Unveiling the Wicked. They are all excellent thrashy, speedy releases that anyone who is a fan of that kind of music needs to hear.

So does my profile,I just dont see how Metalstorm hasn't added them yet.They have been around for ever.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
03.07.2006 - 07:37
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I voted Annihilator...

True that I had only listened to their first two albums "Alice In Hell" and "Never Neverland", but both are masterpieces, specially the debut...

About other Canadian bands I like, not too much really... I like a BM act called Megiddo (although the chilean band with the same name is times better), a Melo-Death group called Heaven's Ablaze, in Grindcore my favourite is Polidicks and in Death Metal Cryptopsy make a good job, specially with "Whisper Supremacy".

I can't stand S.Y.L., Quo Vadis, Kataklysm and Into Eternity, and never lsitened to Gorguts or Martyr.
03.07.2006 - 08:28
LethargyMan
Bah. I just have too much of a soft spot for Cryptopsy to vote for anyone else. Gorguts is right behind them for my vote, though that's likely only because I've yet to get my hands on a copy of Obscura. From the descriptions I've heard, it sounds like I'd love that album.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
03.07.2006 - 20:13
Endoftherainbow
Written by [user id=5080] on 03.07.2006 at 07:37

a Melo-Death group called Heaven's Ablaze

Wow, I am suprised anyone here has even heard of that band from my hometown. Their not a bad band but live they need to figure out to set their amps About not having Voivod on here I left them in the "other catagorey" because I only like a few of their albums even though they were a pretty influential important band.
06.07.2006 - 05:52
Asat0r
I had to be the only one to go with Into Eternity. There's something about this band that I love, they can be almost cheesy at times, which is great. But they're incredibly talented, in my opinion.
06.07.2006 - 07:47
Erosive Offals
Account deleted
There should also be an option for Slaughter, they rule.
06.07.2006 - 07:49
Erosive Offals
Account deleted
nevermind somebody said that already