Metal Storm logo
Favorite Instrumental

19.07.2006 - 23:53
Stigmatized
So, what is your favorite instrumental song? For those of you who don't know, and instrumental is a track without lyrics or vocal music.

My favorite has to be from a band I very recently discovered, called Shade Empire. Their track Ravine is one excellent instrumental. Cool piano intro especially.
20.07.2006 - 00:05
LeDruide
I'll say Korpiklaani - Spring Dance
Lots of other instrumental songs are good : Stratovarius - Holy Light, Hammefall - Raise The Hammer, Nightwish - Moondance
There's also all the At Vance's classical covers
20.07.2006 - 00:14
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Hmm, there was a similar thread (a successful one indeed) in the old MS version. I suppose you are looking for Metal instrumentals, as I know lots of Classical pieces that beat the crap out of any Metal instrumental .

My choice is the almighty classic The Call of Ktulu by Metallica. It has an intelligent structure, instrumental technique, heavier and slower parts and it belongs to (IMO) the best Thrash Metal album ever: Ride the Lightning.

Some runner-ups could be those awesome Dream Theater instrumentals like Stream of Consciousness, which is nothing else than a Prog Metal sonata, or their classic Erotomania. If I could choose their Instrumedley ("Live at Budokan"), I might perfectly vote for it, as it summarizes the best Dream Theater instrumental parts ("The Ytse Jam", "Erotomania", "Ouverture 1928"...)
20.07.2006 - 00:19
Stigmatized
Written by Taktsekte on 20.07.2006 at 00:14

I suppose you are looking for Metal instrumentals, as I know lots of Classical pieces that beat the crap out of any Metal instrumental .

Yeah, I was going for Metal instrumental.....you're right though.
20.07.2006 - 00:24
Daru Jericho
There's quite a few. I really love Dream Theater's 'Erotomania' and 'Ytse Jam', although I guess the former is my favourite of the two. It sounds so sparkly and magical due to Kevin Moore. Ah, it's great.

I also love Dimmu Borgir's 'Fear And Wonder'. It sounds like it's come straight out of Lord of the Rings or something. Truly breath-taking and out of place for them.

But there are so many awesome metal instrumentals.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

20.07.2006 - 00:43
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Yea I have more faves too....

Lacrimosa's ''Kyrie'' is between them for its amazing atmosphere, darkness, melancholy and despair that it expresses through great orchestral parts.
Clan of Xymox's ''Without A Name'' is a beautiful piano work, very powerful, it seems to me as it's expressing despair, suffocation, confinement, choking... Like you are trapped in a cage of your own feelings and you can't get out....
Another great piano song is Sirenia's ''Seven Sirens And A Silver Tear''.... Again a very powerful song.

Ok, if you're asking about metal instrumental - IMO Dimmu Borgir's ''Vanity or Perfection'' beats the hell out of everything I just feel majestic listening to this song The whole melody structure gives impressions of highness, majestity, glory, power, praise. I'm always saying that's gonna be the soundtrack for movie about my life. because it's so.... monarchic
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
20.07.2006 - 01:07
bangladesh
Any Pelican song....they are specialized in making instrumental music fulled of emotion....they have no voice
20.07.2006 - 01:19
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
Written by LeDruide on 20.07.2006 at 00:05

I'll say Korpiklaani - Spring Dance
Lots of other instrumental songs are good : Stratovarius - Holy Light, Hammefall - Raise The Hammer, Nightwish - Moondance
There's also all the At Vance's classical covers

All these songs are my favorite instrumentals too!

But i want to agree:

Iced earth-1776
Blind Guardian-gandalf's rebirth
Suid Akra-...And the giants Dance
20.07.2006 - 01:57
Damnated
Churchburner
ATM Mystic Forest - Requiem Lunaire, just awsome!
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.

20.07.2006 - 02:20
tulkas
el parcero
Probably 'Instrumental' from Menhir (yes, it is called Instrumental), and all the Dream Theater instrumentals, specially 'Instrumedly' because just like Taktsekte says, it sumarizes all Dream´s instrumentals. I love instrumental songs, they show that you can also deliver a message without any lyrics, the song just speaks for itself, that´s what I really like about them
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
20.07.2006 - 02:50
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
From the top of my head, my favorite instrumental might be Stream of Consciousness by Dream Theater. It's been a while since I've listened to it, but from what I remember there is some ridiculously fast shredding and some pretty nifty keyboards.
20.07.2006 - 03:23
Endoftherainbow
I have alot of favorite instrumental but one that really sticks out in my head right now is Chaos by Ayreon it has a really cool intro and a pretty sweet riff.
20.07.2006 - 03:38
Mega-Slayer
I find all of Dream Theater's instrumentals to be amazing,but an instrumental that I never get sick of,you guys might have heard of it,"Orion" by Metallica
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
20.07.2006 - 04:13
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
I think Orion by Metallica is very simple, with those riffs that i don't like, i think is better To live is to die...
20.07.2006 - 05:18
Trifixion
Account deleted
I really love The Jester's Dance by In Flames, it has a really amazing sound to it...Man Made God is also very good. Also I love Cosmic Sea by Death, and Voice Of The Soul also by Death, but The Jester's Dance is my favorite. One of my favorite In Flames tracks overall for sure.
20.07.2006 - 07:42
Southern Wind
Account deleted
mmm let me thiiink.. .I don't know.. what can be??? mmmm mmmmmm ? ???????? ??????????? bleh, cha ? difficult question *lights a cigarrete* mmmm INQUISITION SYMPHONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
20.07.2006 - 07:57
LethargyMan
Written by [user id=5080] on 20.07.2006 at 07:42

INQUISITION SYMPHONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed. That tune is forever in my skull.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
20.07.2006 - 14:42
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by LethargyMan on 20.07.2006 at 07:57

Written by [user id=5080] on 20.07.2006 at 07:42

INQUISITION SYMPHONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed. That tune is forever in my skull.

Yeah, it is a very great song, but, personally , I liked the Apocalyptica cover.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.

21.07.2006 - 02:19
X-FrEaK
geez O_O thats a bit hard to say =\

but... Apocaliptyca's Prologue, from the album Reflections if im not mistaken, maybe
----
21.07.2006 - 07:13
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
I quite like instrumentals. They can be nice parts of albums. It's good when they appear around the third quarter of albums as they can tie albums well. Often they can be interesting as without vocals the instrument work is good, as it's what is being focused on. Like what MicTlaN said, my favourite instrumental is Iced Earth - 1776. It eclipses what is good about the Something Wicked This Way Comes album (which incidentally is my favourite album of theirs). Great guitar work, great drums, and the drum work works well in each situation. The flute thing part is good too.

I wouldn't say that Gandalf's Rebirth was that great. It doesn't really fit the mood of the album in a way. I think it's more of a conclusion song than a sort of instrumental. I suppose it is an instrumental in the sense that it doesn't have vocals though, lol. I didn't think it was the best way to finish the great Battlions Of Fear album.

Some other good instrumental stuff comes from bands that don't actually use vocallists. After a while some instrumental bands can seem a little empty without any vocals, but some bands can pull it off well. One of my favourite instrumental bands is Apocalyptica.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
21.07.2006 - 09:09
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I have never been a huge Death fan, but one of my favorite instrumentals is Death's "Voice of the Soul." I'm not sure what it is, but something in that song captures my emotion quite well.
----
The force will be with you, always.
21.07.2006 - 12:20
Sunioj
Man Made God by In flames, its great because it is very listenable and a good length.
Arch Enemy has a number of really nice instrumentals like Hydra, Snowbound, and stigmata. The only thing about those is that they are really short...however the most erie instrumentals is nar mattaru from Morbid angel and from nile in their darkened shrines.
21.07.2006 - 22:48
Stigmatized
Another great instrumental from Shade Empire is called End of Dreams. Very haunting piece it is.....
22.07.2006 - 07:21
Daniel
For a metal instrumental it would have to be a opeth song,can't think of what it's called though, ,But my favourite would have to be Mist by the john butler trio
----
In The Cold Winds of Nowhere
28.07.2006 - 05:12
Pyro
Account deleted
The Ytse Jam!
And if not that, it had to be any instrumental classic by Metallica, let's say Orion.
06.08.2006 - 05:00
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
From Cynics album Focus: Textures, it's relaxing but also strong. A really unique instrumental.
06.08.2006 - 06:20
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Davert-Tanz by In Extremo. There is a little three line speech in teh begginig and that's all.
And not a song, but a band: Pelican
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
06.08.2006 - 06:23
Nyctophobia
Account deleted
Graveworm's song Ceremonial Requiem takes the cake for me. It's such a romantic piece, and it retains an epic sound, I think largely in part to the bagpipes used. I actually used it in a video project about my girlfriend and I, and after my presentation, classmates of mine told me it was very moving.
06.08.2006 - 11:48
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Dream Theater - Overture 1892

the best damn instrumental song ever so much feeling and excellent entwined guitar and keyboards
----
Stay Metal !!!
06.08.2006 - 12:42
Beer Fairy
My favourite instrumental is Imperial from the last Hammerfall album Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken. Don't laugh, i don't like a lot instrumental songs