Metal Storm logo
Favorite band aesthetic

24.07.2010 - 08:44
SerratedSyringe
I'm sure everyone can agree that a band should be judged by how they sound, not by how they look, but I believe a band's image can play a vital role in the overall sensory intake of the listener, just as their album artwork or videos do.

I'm curious as to what your favorite band is from a purely visual stand point and why.

My favorite is an industrial/electro/black metal band called Psyclon Nine. They have immense stage presence with outfits that look like they just crawled back from Hell after surviving a massive nuclear assult on the charred remains of a planet formerly known as Earth.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
24.07.2010 - 13:20
vezzy
Stallmanite
Pretty much any band that doesn't have a visual aesthetic, really. I'm not into it.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
24.07.2010 - 15:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by vezzy on 24.07.2010 at 13:20

Pretty much any band that doesn't have a visual aesthetic, really. I'm not into it.

if that is the case then you shouldn't be into Venom, Anthrax, 99% of black metal, old Deicide
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.07.2010 - 15:24
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.07.2010 at 15:09

Written by vezzy on 24.07.2010 at 13:20

if that is the case then you shouldn't be into Venom, Anthrax, 99% of black metal, old Deicide

Lol, I think I wasn't clear enough. I'm into the music, visual aesthetic doesn't affect my liking of it. I'm fine with the whole "long hair" look, but corpse paint and spikes is kind of ridiculous. That and the inverted cross Glen Benton burned to his forehead is worth a laugh, nothing more.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
26.07.2010 - 02:07
whatsacow
I like Glam Metal, but then again, I'm also a massive fan of laughing my ass off.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
27.07.2010 - 11:59
SerratedSyringe
Written by whatsacow on 26.07.2010 at 02:07

I like Glam Metal, but then again, I'm also a massive fan of laughing my ass off.

Ugh I hate te way Glam Metal bands look.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
28.07.2010 - 01:43
whatsacow
Written by SerratedSyringe on 27.07.2010 at 11:59

Written by whatsacow on 26.07.2010 at 02:07

Ugh I hate te way Glam Metal bands look.

Really? I love it. Its like watching a live gross out comedy.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
30.08.2011 - 15:05
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
I don't know. I like the classic heavy metal look, but I also like the 'smart' look (shirts, pants, simple shoes or docs). Long hair is always desirable, since I'm a girl with a long hair fetish I don't think that a whole band needs to have a distinct image, but rather some distinct personalities - like Roy Khan with his divine metal image, or Tony Kakko and his plaid silliness (post 2006 of course, don't like the stuff he did before ), or Perttu Kivilaakso (though he dresses more silly outside of stage).

I'm a big fan of men who are not afraid to accessorize or dye their hair and do silly style experiments - who said only women have the right to do that? But men in metal do it best (not a fan of hip-hop or industrial or those 'urban' fashions).

As far as silly band aesthetics go...glam, black metal and thrash metal. Those three are kinda past their time, they need to be modernized in order not to look silly. Also, the folk image is looks nice on some bands, but it's gettin' cliched.
----
7.0 means the album is good
30.08.2011 - 17:00
Glaucus
Though they may not apply, I think my favorite band for aesthetics is Rammstein.

Their stage show and genuine 'look' is always interesting. I dig it.
----
"Pretty easy work, for a God." - Freya ~ Valkyrie Profile
01.09.2011 - 02:19
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
I like the Death Metal look. Somehow fat guys with very long hair or completely bald (Immolation and Suffocation vocalists). Br00tal look.
01.09.2011 - 04:21
Lol what the hell?? Frank Mullen has short hair. anyways

01.09.2011 - 05:53
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by [user id=119833] on 01.09.2011 at 02:19

I like the Death Metal look. Somehow fat guys with very long hair or completely bald (Immolation and Suffocation vocalists). Br00tal look.

It's not br00tal, it's brutal. There is a fundamental difference.

Brutal

I can just smell the blood of the fresh corpses that they fucked last night

Br00tal

I can just smell their mom's hair straightener
01.09.2011 - 09:10
Ultraussie
I have a slight repulsion to bands with guys who dress in girls clothing and have these "Emo" haircuts, I dunno best band look is to dress like a normal person, long hair is cool as long as it isn't a gimmick.
Corspe Paint and masks are gay.
Being "Brutal" or "Br00tal" is gay.
01.09.2011 - 16:17
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by [user id=111774] on 01.09.2011 at 05:53

Written by [user id=119833] on 01.09.2011 at 02:19

It's not br00tal, it's brutal. There is a fundamental difference.

Brutal

I can just smell the blood of the fresh corpses that they fucked last night

Br00tal

I can just smell their mom's hair straightener

That's too funny, but which death metal band is the first picture?
01.09.2011 - 16:33
JD
Account deleted
Written by [user id=119833] on 01.09.2011 at 16:17

but which death metal band is the first picture?

Skinless.

@Void, I lol'd.
01.09.2011 - 16:35
JD
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 24.07.2010 at 15:24

I'm fine with the whole "long hair" look, but corpse paint and spikes is kind of ridiculous. That and the inverted cross Glen Benton burned to his forehead is worth a laugh, nothing more.

Same here.
01.09.2011 - 16:46
Yavanna
Well, even if the whole corpse-paint thing is quite ridiculous sometimes, I like the black metal look anyway.
I usually like long-haired dudes, and the whole Metal bands look, I would love to have a leather jacket like the ones Rob Halford uses, full of spikes
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
01.09.2011 - 17:07
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Yavanna on 01.09.2011 at 16:46

I usually like long-haired dudes, and the whole Metal bands look, I would love to have a leather jacket like the ones Rob Halford uses, full of spikes

Rob is kinda my style icon too bad I'll never afford his attire.
----
01.09.2011 - 17:09
Yavanna
Written by Milena on 01.09.2011 at 17:07

Written by Yavanna on 01.09.2011 at 16:46

Rob is kinda my style icon too bad I'll never afford his attire.

I would like to have the spiked jacket to wear on days as my Birthday or Christmass, when people want to hug me
----
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
01.09.2011 - 17:13
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Yavanna on 01.09.2011 at 17:09

I would like to have the spiked jacket to wear on days as my Birthday or Christmass, when people want to hug me

I'd like to wear it when I go to a concert. Personal space and peace guaranteed ^^
----
01.09.2011 - 17:15
Yavanna
Written by Milena on 01.09.2011 at 17:13

I'd like to wear it when I go to a concert. Personal space and peace guaranteed ^^

nah, no good concerts to go in my place, but Yes, wearing it garants you enough Personal Space
----
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
01.09.2011 - 23:16
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 30.08.2011 at 15:05

I don't know. I like the classic heavy metal look, but I also like the 'smart' look (shirts, pants, simple shoes or docs). Long hair is always desirable, since I'm a girl with a long hair fetish I don't think that a whole band needs to have a distinct image, but rather some distinct personalities - like Roy Khan with his divine metal image, or Tony Kakko and his plaid silliness (post 2006 of course, don't like the stuff he did before ), or Perttu Kivilaakso (though he dresses more silly outside of stage).

I'm a big fan of men who are not afraid to accessorize or dye their hair and do silly style experiments - who said only women have the right to do that? But men in metal do it best (not a fan of hip-hop or industrial or those 'urban' fashions).

As far as silly band aesthetics go...glam, black metal and thrash metal. Those three are kinda past their time, they need to be modernized in order not to look silly. Also, the folk image is looks nice on some bands, but it's gettin' cliched.

You hit the nail right on the head for me with this one. Well, except for being a girl with a long hair fetish. I'm a boy with a short-hair fetish.

Anyways, I don't have a problem with Glam metal appearances. Any man that has the balls to go onstage dressed like that is a huge man in my book.
Besides most of them are shifting their attire and in some cases focusing more on the music. For example:

Before:

After:

01.09.2011 - 23:35
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by [user id=101272] on 01.09.2011 at 23:16

Anyways, I don't have a problem with Glam metal appearances. Any man that has the balls to go onstage dressed like that is a huge man in my book.
Besides most of them are shifting their attire and in some cases focusing more on the music. For example:

Precisely, why should women have all the fun in the world of dressing? And guys who constantly worry about which clothes/activities will make them 'gay' are probably characters obsessed with self-image. Though, although there's nothing wrong with being the girly type of a stylish person, glam often crosses the border between being quirky and dressing like a drag. And I think those guys below have done the thing I requested - modernize I don't like their styles but they're a good improvement.
----
04.09.2011 - 20:20
arwestromen
Well my favorite band is Iron maiden and their visual appearance is...well I don't know what to say about it, some of them looks like "the buisness" and one looks like an old football player and some looks like normal midle age guys I suppose
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
04.09.2011 - 23:07
Gorgoroth, bloody sheep heads and fire on stage
05.09.2011 - 00:21
^^Basically what I said
05.09.2011 - 17:02
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Yavanna on 01.09.2011 at 17:15

nah, no good concerts to go in my place, but Yes, wearing it garants you enough Personal Space

that may explain the 1 meter radius of emptiness around me on a gig where i wore some 20 cm spikes ...;D
Black metal ist krieg
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
05.09.2011 - 17:05
Yavanna
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 05.09.2011 at 17:02

Written by Yavanna on 01.09.2011 at 17:15

that may explain the 1 meter radius of emptiness around me on a gig where i wore some 20 cm spikes ...;D
Black metal ist krieg

Where did you got that spikes? I want them too
----
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
05.09.2011 - 17:15
ANGEL REAPER
Quote:
Written by Yavanna on 05.09.2011 at 17:05

Black metal ist krieg

Where did you got that spikes? I want them too

i've borrowed them from a guy from a band in which i was at the time...Those were the spikes for hands and legs...not for the jackets but either way....it was fun...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
08.09.2011 - 22:07
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Aesthetics are cool in metal, and its a big part of it, even more when it comes to live performances:
Just a few examples: