Metal Storm logo
Our new generation of "Metal Heads"

21.02.2011 - 15:05
BrokenKnuckles
I havent been to a concert in a few years. I went last night to see Whitechapel and I couldnt help but notice all the preteen kids that are at the show. Non of them are paying attention to the bands. They all look like gothic Justin Beibers, way too much makeup, jewerly, drinking Monster enery drinks like its the coolest thing ever. When I was under 21 going to shows I went to see the fucking band and drink WATER because I was rocking in the pit. Anyone else notice this chain of mutants?
21.02.2011 - 15:55
Darth Mitchell
Mitchell
Well yes... There are some kids that listen metal and look like that indeed... But I don't mind them. It is just a phase they're in. After some years they looks just like you and me. (at least I hope so...)
21.02.2011 - 16:14
Tranquillizer
Account deleted
Yes, I noticed them here, and they look exactly like BrokenKnuckles describes them (minus the energy drink bit). I don't mind them either, I kinda find them entertaining for some reason. They call them selves metalheads or even goths ( They fit in the "mall goth" category IMO ) but they only know of five bands: Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slipknot, Nightwish and if they're brOOtal Cannibal Corpse.
21.02.2011 - 16:21
Luneth
Account deleted
Here we go again...

But in attempt to post something useful/non confrontational I will wholeheartedly agree with you. I think comparing them to Justin Beiber makes perfect sense and they should all die. *gets pitchfork and torch*

I tried.
21.02.2011 - 18:20
BrokenKnuckles
Written by [user id=112141] on 21.02.2011 at 16:14

Yes, I noticed them here, and they look exactly like BrokenKnuckles describes them (minus the energy drink bit). I don't mind them either, I kinda find them entertaining for some reason. They call them selves metalheads or even goths ( They fit in the "mall goth" category IMO ) but they only know of five bands: Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slipknot, Nightwish and if they're brOOtal Cannibal Corpse.

Mall Goth is exactly right. They all listen to that NuMetal shit too. IE The Devil Wears prada, Slipknot, mudvayne ect... You ask any of them who Rob Halford is and they just stare at you
21.02.2011 - 20:14
ANGEL REAPER
Yes I did notice all that you are saying BK.Sad but true,this new generation of "metalheads" have some new idea what is metal...
I mean
#1 some nights ago I hang out whit some "metalheads",and when we talked about favorite bands their mouths were full of some shit I dont even know....And when I said them my favorites list (including Burzum,Bathory,Hellhammer,etc)they were stunned because *1they didnt have any clue what the fuck is that and *2 the one that know were in "OMG,that's too repulsive,satanic,sick"mood ...I mean WHAT THE FUCK?
#2When these "metalheads" go to show they just stand around dressed mostly like some rappers or what not and dont give the fuck about the music...
Its look like that mainstream killed kind of metalheads that existed years ago....
so I ask again WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING AROUND HERE?
PS:for the record I am maybe 19 years old,but I grew up on the stuff that grew up the generations before me,not on this new stuff like -core,nu,and such...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
21.02.2011 - 21:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Problem: attending a Whitechapel concert.

I know it's stereotypical, but "wigger deathcore" or whatever elitists are calling it has some of the most...out of touch metal fans. You'll find more Hot Topic scene kids who think mascara is the next "boxers pulled above your jeans" lounging around than actually listening to the music.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.02.2011 - 21:42
brapp32
That's weird because I just went to the same show a few days ago and the people were into it. Everyone really liked veil of Maya and whitechapel and they went absolutely apeshit for the acacia strain.
21.02.2011 - 21:48
crow
I can't believe someone went to a deathcore show, and was shocked by the type of fans attending. One look at the band says it all really.

I decided not to attend Bonecrusher Fest in London, due to Dying Fetus touring with deathcore bands. I would sooner have a broken glass and chilli-sauce enema, than be in the same building with those bands and the tossers they attract!
21.02.2011 - 21:57
whatsacow
Ok, as much as I dislike listening to -core genres, I don't see any harm in the genre. Sure, you say it's ruining metal, but what would fans of Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, and Iron Maiden say about Death and Thrash metal when It was first coming out? Probably the same sort of thing. And yet now, death, thrash and black metal make up the majority of the underground metal scene. Pretty soon the popularity of such bands will dwindle, much the same as thrash has, and then it will be an underground genre and people will maybe sort of semi accept it. Then some other new bullshit genre will come again, and the hideous cycle will repeat itself.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
21.02.2011 - 21:58
Thunderhead
When i was 16, maybe 17 i cared a lot about that kind of kids. Always trying to be "metalheads" and failing.
But nowdays i don't care so much.
I only pwned them when they come to me saying things...

Well, i'm going to tell somethin... you may don't agree or understand, but it's about brasilian 80's metal.

My band (LEGADO) plays some old school brasilian metal.
I was in a concert of my band, them those brats came to me saying about the "great bands" they listen to...
They said "Gloria, Granada, Striker" - Well, those bands are brasilians versions of my chemical romance, panic at the disco! or blink 182 alike.
And they started to say some metal names, ... the less worst one they mentioned was "as i lay dying" although i don't like this band.
I saw one of them was using a metallica "Kill em all" t-shirt.
I asked:
Do you really like metal?

He replied to me: Yes, i like metal. Why?

I Said: What are u doing whit a metallica first album t-shirt and didn't mencioned their name among u favorite bands. Do u even known a metallica's song name!?

He said: Yes! I like Sad But True and the Unforgiven.

I asked: What about Eye of the Beholder or Whiplash?

He Said: That AD&D game?

I said: Shit. Stop dude...are u crazy?

Other kid said: Hey dude... metallica sucks! Old bands are dead!

I said: Do u kids known what metal is about? Is about rocking hard! IT's about freedom of speech, it's about knowing what u like, it's about blah blah blah, i said all that cliche things we usually say to cause impact... NOT! Was failure. Those kids were idiots.
I said to them. I'm going to play a Slipknot songs in portuguese today... It's called Guerrilha, wich stands for "wait and bleed".
You guys will see what is a good version. (I was lying to them. the real song is called guerrilha, but is a real metal anthem by a brasilian band called Dorsal Atlântica, it's a thrash/crossover song. Very agressive, very heavy, very 80's)
I Went to the stage and one of the last songs was Guerrilha. I said the name and the kids came near. They started to headbang and that stuff.
Ater the show they came to me saying it was a great version and stuff...

Well...Only two of them recorgnized that was not slipknot's song and offended me, calling me stupid, watermelon head and pretencious bastard.
And other very kind complements.

Well...what can i said. Those kids are dumb. DIdn't recorgnized a song of the band they like... i fooled them... can't believe it myself.
They will grown to be the dumbest grow ups i will ever known..
----
"You may got money, and can buy anything you want. But there's a thing you will never be able to buy. It's a dinossaur!" - Homer J.Simpson
21.02.2011 - 22:00
vezzy
Stallmanite
A staggering display of hypocrisy there, OP.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
21.02.2011 - 22:02
crow
Written by Thunderhead on 21.02.2011 at 21:58

I asked: What about Eye of the Beholder or Whiplash?

He Said: That AD&D game?

I nearly spat out my coffee laughing at that comment!
21.02.2011 - 22:18
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Thunderhead on 21.02.2011 at 21:58

...post...

Hey man same thing happened to me...So I understand what you were saying ....
You see I have one man BM band that have name "My Dead Girlfriend"...problem is that i almost on every day basis stump across such dumb people that saying something like this :
"Metalhead #1": "What would you name music that you play?"
I: Old school Black metal with strong influence of Norwegian scene of early '90s
"Metalhead #1": "WTF?why?"
I :Because I want to
"Metalhead #2" : "But dont you see that no one here like that...You will never get a tone of money,or smth .."
I:I dont give a fuck ,I play it first for me and then for people that like to listen that stuff
"Metalhead #1" :Anyway ...
"Metalhead #2" :You are not tr00e...you suck,your band suck,your songs suck
I : what?
"Metalhead #2" :Yea you heard me,I dont like that satanic shit...you !@#@$#$#$#$@@#$@$@$@!!!!!!
I:Fuck off !If you dont like it why did you came to here to insult me?
"Metalhead #1" Sorry man ....

Even to this day I didn't fully understood this dialogue ....
My point is : Its ok if those people listen to shit they listen to ,but they dont have to around and preach about being tr00e,and how BFMV is best in the world....That is why i understood you......
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
22.02.2011 - 03:23
Thunderhead
Crow: Reading now ... maybe it's funny.

ANGEL REAPER:
Them, you see.
Well, i got nothing against to the fact they are listenning to bullshit, but... don't go preach to me. Or i will preach to you. And like testament said:
Pratice what you preach...

Oh shit... yes i known... It's not the whole time i can be funny. Sometimes i fail...big time!
----
"You may got money, and can buy anything you want. But there's a thing you will never be able to buy. It's a dinossaur!" - Homer J.Simpson
22.02.2011 - 18:12
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.02.2011 at 21:19

I know it's stereotypical, but "wigger deathcore" or whatever elitists are calling it has some of the most...out of touch metal fans. You'll find more Hot Topic scene kids who think mascara is the next "boxers pulled above your jeans" lounging around than actually listening to the music.

Yeah, the first question you gotta ask yourself is "what type of concert am I at?"

Secondly, regarding the opening post - it just sounds like a case of teenagers being teenagers. We all acted weird at that age. To be completely honest, the tone of the opening post gives me the impression that you're irrationally sour about the fact that you and your local metal scene seem to be outgrowing one another.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
22.02.2011 - 18:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Ya in 5 or 10 years those same kids will be complaining about the teenagers attending the same concerts.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.02.2011 - 18:23
3rdWorldFuckFace
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.02.2011 at 21:19

22.02.2011 - 20:57
Mikyz
I can't really say anything for myself because I didn't attend much metal concerts considering I live in Lebanon, but I can sympathize with your frustration. This teenage wave of wannabe metalheads overestimate the bands they like and mainly themselves, so my advice is don't go to concerts that attract so many of them and if they do approach you, just shrug them off, they'll realize how ignorant and immature they are soon enough. I mean, there is a minimum of knowledge required to be considered to be a proper metalhead at least the pioneering bands.

+ Whitechapel? Come on ?
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
22.02.2011 - 22:17
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Mikyz on 22.02.2011 at 20:57

I mean, there is a minimum of knowledge required to be considered to be a proper metalhead at least the pioneering bands.

I think you overestimate the metal community.

Secondly, as I said before, these sound like teenagers being teenagers. They're not really posers either, they probably recently started getting into darker, more aggressive music and are really caught up in the romance of it (hence the gothic dress). The silly goth wear is actually perpetuated by this exclusive image much of the metal community projects - a lot of these teens probably don't really fit in with a lot of other groups, so they feel the need to dress like a vampire in order to fit in with the metal crowd. The opening post is ironically the type of attitude that makes many people feel they need to act or dress a certain way or else they won't covet the almighty "metalhead" status.

I'm not pointing fingers though, I do actually know how you feel, and I really have to make a conscious effort not to fall into that mindset. Just ask yourself - do you want to be that one old dude standing by himself at every gig grumbling about how your generation was better? I always hated those guys when I was younger.

Your irrational anger becomes quite apparent when you mention energy drinks. Have you considered the fact that perhaps these kids enjoy energy drinks? A lot of them taste good, and they get you good and hyper for moshing.

So to sum things up, you're pissed off because these kids are dressing different and drinking caffeine drinks?
----
- George Carlin
22.02.2011 - 22:55
Thunderhead
I drink energy drinks!
It's better they drink energy drinks (only, without vodka or anything alcahoolic) than booze dude. off course if they are under age. If they are over...that's ok.
Well... I think i agree with you Doc Godin.
Well, i take my cousin for example. When he was 14 (He's 3 years younger than i) he started to listen to metal. Because i was the only one he knewn that was a "metalhead" or a ... proctotype! he started to ask me about things. I was about 17 in that moment. So i was kind of airhead in some questions.
I said to him: "People who don't listen to XXX bands are posers. People who love YYY are fuckin idiots. People who do XXXX are doochiebags! ..."
Well, he turned to be a little brat saying that you got to wear black and mosh, and have darkthrone t-shirts and spikes...
But after a while, i saw i was wrong in my ways and started to be more calm... and by that more cleaver.
There was a moment i thought i created a monster. He was insuportable! Always in black, drinking wine in the graveyard, reading lord byron and edgar alan poe in the middle of the night, walking on a 40ºc sun with a leather coat.
Sometime latter, like a few years... i saw him again... He changed so much. Now was an average dude. Still listenning to metal.
Well, maybe i didn't failed, like Obi Wan Kenobi. Maybe my cousin didn't join the dark side after all.

(sorry the stupid joke... stupidiest joke ever.... sorry everyone)
----
23.02.2011 - 00:02
BrokenKnuckles
I do realize I went to a Deathcore show. Shame on me for not thinking about the people this would bring. But these Goth Beiber kids are wearing Maiden and Pantera shirts. WITH there stupid hair cuts and skinny jeans.
23.02.2011 - 00:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
That's just a matter of you judging a group of people, not metalheads. What you have to say about them doesn't pertain to the fact they were even at a concert.
----
23.02.2011 - 00:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
So they have silly hair and are wearing Maiden shirts...I still don't see what the big deal is.

Taken from another thread:
Written by BrokenKnuckles on 21.02.2011 at 14:58

The problem with the all ages show is you're going to get 14 year olds that think metal is a look.

Am I the only one who sees the hypocrisy in this? The quotations around "metal heads" in the title thread implies that you don't consider these kids actual metalheads, and so far all of your statements have been entirely about image. So, connecting the dots, you seem to believe that these kids are not metalheads because of the way they dress. You seem to be the one putting the most emphasis on image here.
----
- George Carlin
23.02.2011 - 00:28
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Plus, at least they went to a show... Which is not always the case for quite a few 'normal' metalheads - at least here in France
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
23.02.2011 - 00:37
IronAngel
I don't care if those kids Thunderhead was talking about didn't know Metallica or couldn't recognize the songs of their favorite bands. They knew AD&D so they're cool in my book!

Other than that, I find this topic sad and embarassing. There are few things worse than pseudo-sociological ego-stroking whose only purpose is to fuel group identity and self-satisfaction, especially when it's done by metalheads who're a prime example of self-deceiving, uncritical sheep.

Bieber is cool, too.
23.02.2011 - 14:36
BrokenKnuckles
http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/fun_comments.php?fun_id=224&page=&message_id=

I stand corrected and apologize for the thread. If I want to see my kind of metal heads ill just stick to Slayer shows. I guess there are too many genres of metal popping up to keep track. And I didnt know Gangsta Metal could ever exsist. I guess its the same as if I we're to go to a Doom Metal show or something.
23.02.2011 - 15:15
Luneth
Account deleted
You know a rant is bad when it's based on a South Park episode, albeit, in a Metal context. ^

I could be Justin Beibers' brother dressed as Dracula and still be a metalhead. Your way of thinking needs to evolve...quickly.
23.02.2011 - 15:19
BrokenKnuckles
Written by [user id=107773] on 23.02.2011 at 15:15

You know a rant is bad when it's based on a South Park episode, albeit, in a Metal context. ^

I could be Justin Beibers' brother dressed as Dracula and still be a metalhead. Your way of thinking needs to evolve...quickly.

What episode?
23.02.2011 - 16:07
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by BrokenKnuckles on 23.02.2011 at 15:19

Written by [user id=107773] on 23.02.2011 at 15:15

What episode?

The one with Butters becoming a 'vampire' and the Goth kids looking down on them for trying to be darker than they are.