Metal Storm logo
Why is Nu Metal underrated?

07.08.2014 - 13:25
Most of Metalheads believe that what we should call Metal is consist of heavy / power metal bands.
Apart from this,they all judge and criticise nu metal bands cuase they are not "Metal" as they tend to say.
Why??
07.08.2014 - 17:31
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Because most of them are crap?

Okay seriously, what do you mean with underrated? I feel those bands are excessively overrated, take like Slipknot
07.08.2014 - 18:17
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Yeah, I don't think those are underrated as well. At least not the more maisntream ones
You did mention something about heavy/power fans criticizing them though... Well, on my experience with most metalheads which stick to their 10 favourite heavy/power metal bands and don't explore much further than that, I'd say they not only criticize nu metal but also everything they don't like with it:

"Death metal is just noise with a guy who doesn't know how to sing who have to growl as vocalist", "every black metal band is about that satanic sh1t", "avant garde metal doesn't exist. stop inventing genres, everything is metal lol." That's about it.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
07.08.2014 - 19:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Do you really not know why some metalheads don't consider nu metal to be metal or is this just an excuse to open a new topic.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.08.2014 - 20:20
Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.08.2014 at 19:06

Do you really not know why some metalheads don't consider nu metal to be metal or is this just an excuse to open a new topic.

Thats not it! i really dont get it cause for thema nu metaller is not a metalhead
07.08.2014 - 20:21
Written by Karlabos on 07.08.2014 at 18:17

Yeah, I don't think those are underrated as well. At least not the more maisntream ones
You did mention something about heavy/power fans criticizing them though... Well, on my experience with most metalheads which stick to their 10 favourite heavy/power metal bands and don't explore much further than that, I'd say they not only criticize nu metal but also everything they don't like with it:

"Death metal is just noise with a guy who doesn't know how to sing who have to growl as vocalist", "every black metal band is about that satanic sh1t", "avant garde metal doesn't exist. stop inventing genres, everything is metal lol." That's about it.

i agree with you dude
07.08.2014 - 20:23
Written by Fallen Ghost on 07.08.2014 at 17:31

Because most of them are crap?

Okay seriously, what do you mean with underrated? I feel those bands are excessively overrated, take like Slipknot

What im trying to say is that a nu metaller isnt a true metalhead,and thats crap
07.08.2014 - 20:31
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by MichaelAngeloT on 07.08.2014 at 20:23

What im trying to say is that a nu metaller isnt a true metalhead,and thats crap

Is this still an issue?

07.08.2014 - 20:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by MichaelAngeloT on 07.08.2014 at 20:20
Thats not it! i really dont get it cause for thema nu metaller is not a metalhead

In that case... oh boy, where to start.

I'll be vague since I'd rather not write an article in response. Basically the hatred of nu metal and its fans boils down to elitism. The "true" metalheads looked at it as some kind of assault on the genre, and the fact that its popularity grew to the heights it did only compounded that hatred. I mean how dare these musicians take the most sacred form of music in metal and sully it with the influence of a sacrilegious genre of music like hip-hop. And to top it all off, these guys were dressing like wannabe MTV gangsters.

Sorry for the lazy response. I could probably write a solid 15-page paper regarding the sociological impact of nu metal and how it relates to the human psyche but... not worth it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.08.2014 - 20:50
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.08.2014 at 20:31

Written by MichaelAngeloT on 07.08.2014 at 20:20

In that case... oh boy, where to start.

I'll be vague since I'd rather not write an article in response. Basically the hatred of nu metal and its fans boils down to elitism. The "true" metalheads looked at it as some kind of assault on the genre, and the fact that its popularity grew to the heights it did only compounded that hatred. I mean how dare these musicians take the most sacred form of music in metal and sully it with the influence of a sacrilegious genre of music like hip-hop. And to top it all off, these guys were dressing like wannabe MTV gangsters.

Sorry for the lazy response. I could probably write a solid 15-page paper regarding the sociological impact of nu metal and how it relates to the human psyche but... not worth it.

Well, that sure was the response back then, to both good and bad bands alike.

Now, I'll have to say it, most nu-metal is crap. Fun thing is, I think the bands that did a "real" rap / metal fusion (Rage Against The Machine / Clawfinger / Body Count) are far more interesting than most of the nu-metal bands. But maybe that's just me. Or maybe it's because I feel nu metal took the worst of both genres (crappy poser attitude and basic downtuned riffs to say "hey we're heavy")
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
07.08.2014 - 21:29
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
I'm not entirely sure of where the threadstarter are going with this..
07.08.2014 - 21:37
Lit.
Account deleted
There's about as much wrong with nu metal as there is with black metal or power or doom or whatever. Metalheads who think people who listen to nu metal aren't metalheads are not just wrong, but stupid. There are good nu metal bands and there are bad ones, but there's a sadly small minority of bands that actually make metal and rap vocals work nicely (Body Count, Korn and Slipknot are the few I really care for myself). MTV sucks.

I think that covers everything. Can this topic go die now?
07.08.2014 - 22:06
mz
Written by Ilham on 07.08.2014 at 20:31

Is this still an issue?

You just got the word out of my mount. I really hate being called a metalhead.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
08.08.2014 - 00:08
afu
Once upon a time, in a land of milk and honey, musicians could try to follow their muse and also make hit records. Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Deep Purple, and other early metal bands had radio play and the ability to experiment. Then came punk. When punk and metal merged into things like Thrash, ambition became a dirty word and all kinds of people wanted to keep their bands in the little pocket of obscurity that they could claim as being theirs.

Then, the false idols of Hair Metal sprang forth from the deep and beget Pop Metal and the dreaded Power Ballad. The domination of airwaves made the underground squeal with righteous anger as each side began erecting walls and making rules about what was forbidden in their kingdoms.

But, yea, the great Serpent of Grunge came forth to slay the massively reverbed Pop Metal. The hobgoblins, Alt Rock and Industrial, came forth and harvested the spoils whilst proclaiming punk virtues. But all was not well. The Big 4 Horsemen shed their spikes and studs and entered into the fray in a new form: Mainstream Heavy Metal!!!!

Then the unthinkable happened: Faith No More and Korn experimented with Rap, Funk, and Industrial and gained market share and accolades. Then, the Biscuit of Limp and Slipknot grew their fan base to the point of riding a crest into what was now the wasteland of popular music. Thus, Metal was soon flooded with the same sort of second rate, false idols that felled the Hair Metal and Thrash Metal Gods. Instead of disdain, these poseurs were again beset by the pussy and money of Pop Metal and, also, Ozzfest tours.
08.08.2014 - 00:56
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by afu on 08.08.2014 at 00:08

08.08.2014 - 02:32
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Underrated yeah wright , limp bizkit and such crap was on MTv 2 and all alternative music channels when I grow, how much was so called true metal?
nowadays its simply forgotten, its all
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.08.2014 - 03:45
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos

Once upon a time, in a land of milk and honey, musicians could try to follow their muse and also make hit records. Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Deep Purple, and other early metal bands had radio play and the ability to experiment. Then came punk. When punk and metal merged into things like Thrash, ambition became a dirty word and all kinds of people wanted to keep their bands in the little pocket of obscurity that they could claim as being theirs.
Then, the false idols of Hair Metal sprang forth from the deep and beget Pop Metal and the dreaded Power Ballad. The domination of airwaves made the underground squeal with righteous anger as each side began erecting walls and making rules about what was forbidden in their kingdoms.
But, yea, the great Serpent of Grunge came forth to slay the massively reverbed Pop Metal. The hobgoblins, Alt Rock and Industrial, came forth and harvested the spoils whilst proclaiming punk virtues. But all was not well. The Big 4 Horsemen shed their spikes and studs and entered into the fray in a new form: Mainstream Heavy Metal!!!!
Then the unthinkable happened: Faith No More and Korn experimented with Rap, Funk, and Industrial and gained market share and accolades. Then, the Biscuit of Limp and Slipknot grew their fan base to the point of riding a crest into what was now the wasteland of popular music. Thus, Metal was soon flooded with the same sort of second rate, false idols that felled the Hair Metal and Thrash Metal Gods. Instead of disdain, these poseurs were again beset by the pussy and money of Pop Metal and, also, Ozzfest tours.

I lost half of my IQ reading this, and now I don't know anymore how much is potato.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
08.08.2014 - 09:02
afu
My attempt at humor was at least better than the insults, especially a video from a outrageously stupid movie. I'm going to go cry now.

And in case any of you missed the OP's point: it wasn't about album sales or MTV. It was about the "TRUE METAL (TM)" listeners who dismiss it. It boils down to the same elitism that was present during the late '80s and jumping onto one bandwagon or another.
08.08.2014 - 11:46
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by afu on 08.08.2014 at 09:02

My attempt at humor was at least better than the insults, especially a video from a outrageously stupid movie. I'm going to go cry now.

I thought it was funny.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
08.08.2014 - 17:41
afu
Written by M C Vice on 08.08.2014 at 11:46

Written by afu on 08.08.2014 at 09:02

I thought it was funny.

I forgot to add the [sarcasm] tag at the end.
08.08.2014 - 22:17
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin

I found this hilarious. And agree.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.08.2014 - 23:00
Guib
Thrash Talker

Awesome... +1, it just flows so well.
also.. Fuck elitists... unless they bash on Babymetal.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
09.08.2014 - 00:36
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Guib on 08.08.2014 at 23:00

You don't have to be an elitist to bash Babymetal. Anyone with ears can.
09.08.2014 - 01:04
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Ilham on 09.08.2014 at 00:36

Written by Guib on 08.08.2014 at 23:00

You don't have to be an elitist to bash Babymetal. Anyone with ears can.

True
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
27.08.2014 - 06:23
Kennoth
Depends on what you mean by underrated. It's true that there are some gems in the genre and that people seem to dismiss it too easily because it's popular to do so. It's also one of the easiest (sub)genres to take a piss at. However, underrated is not really the word I would use, since nu-metal was one of the commercially most popular branches of metal music in its time.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
27.08.2014 - 06:25
Kennoth
Written by Ilham on 07.08.2014 at 20:31

Written by MichaelAngeloT on 07.08.2014 at 20:23

Is this still an issue?

Yeah, funny how this is actually still a thing, a decade since nu-metal was last relevant.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
28.08.2014 - 21:16
Nu-metal will always get flak, and I believe rightly so, because it basically just took whatever else was popular in the mainstream and chucked a load of bass at it.

I think that accounts for most of it, although there are certainly plenty of other musical reasons to dislike it.

In its defense, I will concede that nu-metal did think outside the box in as far as bringing in things like rap and turntables etc. I can't stand the ingredients it brought into metal, but the better bands within that canon should at least be credited for asking the question 'how can we use x in a metal way'. It didn't work for me. But then, if you take something like folk-metal, that is asking similarly heretical questions in places - 'how can you use a flute in a metal way?' for instance. There are plenty of metalheads who will think that line of thinking is ridiculous. But I applaud anyone for trying something a bit different, even if I don't necessarily like it.
01.09.2014 - 14:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Flatulent Walrus on 28.08.2014 at 21:16

..nu-metal did think outside the box in as far as bringing in things like rap and turntables etc.

nope, since both rap and turntables were introduced into metal via thrash, rap more or less in 1987 by Anthrax in I Am The Man and turntables were already used in 1989 on the album Fool's Game by Mordred.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.09.2014 - 19:30
Lit.
Account deleted
Oh, the irony.
04.11.2014 - 12:58
_deepblack
Cause in some cases its like rap ( not that i dont like rap ) and its not even rap and some cases its to simple and boring im not saying good metal is Death Metal im saying good compose good concept good music but some times there are some good tracks among them like Deftones - Passengers ( feat Maynard ) or some Mudvayne Tracks but mostly they are mainstream and popular and its not considered good music