Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Next! - The Future Of Metal Storm

Dear Metal Stormers,

As you may have noticed, the site has undergone a few adjustments in recent months. We're now letting you in on what's happening and what that means for the site and its community.

We have deactivated ads (except for one, which was a miscommunication on our part that we had to make up for), database issues have become so few and far between that most of us in the team have now forgotten they ever existed, several dry-aged and matured bugs of old have simply disappeared, and in a few select spots, new shiny UI features have come to light.

There is a reason for this, and today we're letting you in on it. Metal Storm has undergone a change of ownership. The project that was previously the brainchild of and hand-crafted by our founder, Ivan, is now firmly in the hands of a newly founded nonprofit entity and thereby owned and operated by a team of current staff.

What does that mean for the site?

Initially, not much. ScreamingSteelUS will remain our beloved EIC and the rest of the team will continue doing what they have for years now.

One change some of you will have realized by now is that corrupt has taken over the site's development. He is both hunting down old bugs and preparing for a move to a new server right now. We also have more technological revamp planned and are working on that as well.

While there will be changes to the site in the future, don't expect or fear a big overhaul overnight. We love Ivan's design and have no plan to surprise you with a whole new version of Metal Storm out of the blue. Instead, you will see a constant small-step evolution and we will collect your feedback along the way to make the site we have loved and devoted so much of our time to for almost 18 years now the best platform we can for all of us.

What is going to happen next?

Our current plan is to move the site to new infrastructure on the weekend of September 11th/12th. During that time, the site will be down for a couple of hours while corrupt does the magic. We are already testing the new setup and things are looking good, but seeing that we are a small team of volunteers, unforeseen things can always happen and we are looking at the weekend of September 18th/19th as a backup date. Naturally we'll keep you posted, should that be necessary.

Once the move is done, we'll be relying on you! Much of the site's code is quite old. While we're hard at work to guarantee smooth operation on modern infrastructure, there will most likely be issues at first. Expect to find bugs we have missed in our own testing, wrong hard-coded information here and there, slowdowns, database hiccups, you name it. We are reserving a whole weekend for the move to be able to make adjustments to the infrastructure and closely monitor its operation for a few days while all of you have a chance to poke around. There will be a thread for you to report your findings, ask questions, and pat us on the shoulder for what will hopefully be a job well-done

What you can expect right after the move, however, is HTTPS across the whole site, full UTF-8 support in both the site and the database (that means you can use any character set from any language without the site garbling your text), and general performance improvements both from the new infrastructure and ongoing database optimization in the background.

How are we planning to finance this?

Honestly, we haven't agreed on a plan yet. For the time being, our cost is covered out of our own pockets. Ads are always an option, but one that none of us are really keen on. However, there is precedent for community-funded projects out there and we will definitely try that and see whether that covers our expenses. Many of you have previously voiced a desire to help fund the team and we're hoping that that will be enough for the site to run completely without ads and maybe even finance a few projects we have yet to come up with.

That won't mean we'll create a Patreon or Gofundme account and start releasing exclusive content. Metal Storm will always be free and 100% accessible to anyone anywhere (as long as they adhere to our community guidelines). But we will create a way for you to help fund the project on a completely voluntary basis. Not right off the bat, but you can expect updates on that soon. Also, as you know, on April 1st, this policy can always change for a day

Am I required to do anything?

No. Metal Storm is and will continue to be a community project. We welcome your help in maintaining our database; suggesting features; keeping the community healthy, welcoming, and inclusive; reporting news; and telling us our opinion sucks below every odd review. But if you prefer to just linger and post the occasional shout, that is fine with us.

Server time will change from Estonian to German time, but we will adjust all your profiles automatically. If you have set your time zone offset correctly for your current location now, it should still be correct after the move.

If problems should arise, we may be a little slow to respond for a few days and that may or may not have an effect on the submission of news, articles, or reviews.

We're excited to finally share this big development with all of you and are really looking forward to what the future of Metal Storm holds.

Your Metal Storm staff, elites, and contributors.

Source: metalstorm.net
Posted: 05.09.2021 by ScreamingSteelUS

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 86   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 667 users
01.09.2021 - 14:23
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Admin
I'm going to miss adjusting to Estonian time.

I do enjoy being able to access the site more than 25% of the time, though.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
01.09.2021 - 14:28
wrathchild
Staff
That is good news - and good communication! Congratulations and good luck for the move!
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
01.09.2021 - 14:42
Crème fraiche
Thanks for the update guys! Been lurking here for years and I LOVE the site/community you guys have built! I appreciate your hard work and dedication to the metal community!:thumbup:
01.09.2021 - 14:56
Mehrad
Alright, good luck !
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.
01.09.2021 - 14:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Cool news, I hope it's the end of bugs and black outs... Really cool news, gave some of us reason continue to live
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.09.2021 - 15:10
Athropos
Burning inside
Thanks for the work!
01.09.2021 - 15:11
Ag1975
Written by Bad English on 01.09.2021 at 14:59

Cool news, I hope it's the end of bugs and black outs... Really cool news, gave some of us reason continue to live

I hope it's the end of you reporting about illness, accidents and dead musicians!
Just kiddin'
01.09.2021 - 15:12
Vasil de Shumen
Hopefully the announced changes will make MetalStorm even better and useful for all members and users. Good luck!
01.09.2021 - 15:17
Tasos M
Good luck amigos! Looking forward to any updates regarding how we can contribute on this
----
Support artists, buy their albums \m/
01.09.2021 - 15:43
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Here's hoping for the best. Good luck with all of that.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
01.09.2021 - 15:44
Spacerunner
Nice. I do enjoy this a little outdated design, it takes me to the web 1.0 times and makes me feel younger I hope it will work smoothly with a modern backend.
01.09.2021 - 16:00
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
I very much appreciate all the work that goes on behind the scenes that keep this site running, and as smoothly as possible. Thanks for keeping us updated and good luck in the future with the new ownership.
01.09.2021 - 16:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Spacerunner on 01.09.2021 at 15:44

Nice. I do enjoy this a little outdated design, it takes me to the web 1.0 times and makes me feel younger I hope it will work smoothly with a modern backend.

Actually it's ms version 4
----

01.09.2021 - 16:48
metalbrat
All the best friends. I've been there with you for a decade and will continue.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
01.09.2021 - 16:56
Metal God
Contributor
Good luck and keep up the good work!
01.09.2021 - 17:09
gaud2029
I'm on this site since 2008 and still keep coming back weekly, especially to check the new releases and the charts.

thank you very much for contributing to my musical discovery
01.09.2021 - 17:28
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by [user id=117337] on 01.09.2021 at 17:19
One small request, please don't add cloudflare, or anything that uses that (like bootstrapcdn), or anything with too many captchas and trackers.

No promises. We've had DoS problems in the past and edge-routing could take the load off the server. But we'll be starting small and scaling up carefully if and when we have to.
----
01.09.2021 - 17:29
Evil Cooper
Great work: from the Black Lodge we'll go on following you and eventually replacing some of you with an evil tulpa.
01.09.2021 - 17:32
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Evil Cooper on 01.09.2021 at 17:29
Great work: from the Black Lodge we'll go on following you and eventually replacing some of you with an evil tulpa.

Is it you, Dougie?
----
01.09.2021 - 18:12
X-FrEaK
Great job guys. Ive been here since 2006, i cant even begin to describe how important metalstorm has been in my life. Even this week I was discussing with some metalhead friends about this. I showed them a list of events I added to my profile and they were like "wow how did you do that? I usually use bandsintown?". And im like "metalstorm has had this for ages". To which they replied "oh I prefer metal archives". Lol I have barely touched metal archives in ages and went there just to see if something had changed...Nothing, same old 1990's non responsive website.

As a web developer I completely understand the pains you must be going through, if I cant help on a technical perspective, Ill be more than glad to donate something to a website which has been with me for all of my adult life and some of my adolescence.
----
01.09.2021 - 18:52
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba
Hope u all the best and wish for a better MS ;-)
----
Stop seeing things and people in a binary way. Everything has its own spectrum and complexity. Be patient and learn about the world.
01.09.2021 - 18:57
sbgmetal
Ill support MS for as long as im a metal head which will be till I die
01.09.2021 - 19:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by corrupt on 01.09.2021 at 17:32

Written by Evil Cooper on 01.09.2021 at 17:29

Is it you, Dougie?

Yes its Dougie
----

01.09.2021 - 20:08
Zαforαs
Grrreat! Good luck and thanks for all the work!
01.09.2021 - 20:11
WorpeX
Made of Metal
There was one time Metalstorm went down and I really wanted to look up a bands discography and I just had no idea what to do or where to go. I felt so lost.

Happy to see positive development on the site and if there becomes a way for us members to donate, let us know!
01.09.2021 - 21:45
Dinruth
I will definitely donate to this site as soon as this is possible
01.09.2021 - 22:24
Iceland_Norway
Thanks to Ivan for having realized this website, it's full of useful and interesting informations to know many bands as possible. The new owners will do a stunning job for sure.
----
Føroyar mítt land

Tú alfagra land mítt

Føroyar mín Móðir
01.09.2021 - 22:28
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I don't need to highlight how far Metal Storm community outreach and successfully paved the way especially for underground bands. For metal fans, Metal Storm shouldn't come across nothing less than a walking metal encyclopedia.

It will be stellar witnessing new upgrades.

Congratulations each and everyone working on this mega project to make it successful.

Good luck.
01.09.2021 - 22:59
DeathMetal
Oh fuck yeah! Pumped to see what you guys do! Good luck!
01.09.2021 - 23:02
Sangre Sani
Best metal site on the net, hands down. It's great that it's still developed. Huge thanks to the staff.

\\EDIT
Holy shit, I registered 11 years ago. xD

Hits total: 6207 | This month: 19