Metal Storm logo
Metallica playing metal again? (set list "rock am ring")

04.06.2006 - 13:15
yvesson
Hej,
yesterday I watched the metallica show at thr "rock am ring" festival in germany live on MTV germany.
I was extremely surprised (a good one), that they played almost only old songs :
Here's the set list :
Creeping Death
Fuel
Wherever I may roam
For whom the bell tolls
Fade to black
Battery
Master of puppets
The thing that should not be
Welcome home (sanatarium)
Disposable heroes
Leper messiah
Orion
Damage inc.
Sad but true
Nothing else matters
One
Entre sandman
Last caress
Seek and destroy

You can see that :
_ except for "fuel", that show could have been played in 1991
_ All of "master of puppets" album is there (After "master of puppets", the song, James said "Master of puppets, 20 years, happy anniversary, Master of puppets, the entire album for you"

Well, so the point of my topic is :
Is metallica coming back the their old days and is there any other sign of it from other shows, or is it just for the 20 years of master of puppets that they played songs which just go well with the 8 songs from "master of puppets" album ?

Well, I wish I was there to see Metallica playing all those songs I love, after all the disappointments of "load", "reload" and "st anger". I felt 10 years younger yesterday !
04.06.2006 - 13:22
Ur-Nammu
Account deleted
Heh, now, after years of cries of "selling out", Metallica sold out to the mainstream metal public and stopped playing their most controversial albums
04.06.2006 - 13:38
Ridden Disease
Account deleted
Assholes...
There sold out all they belived in fro money.
So what did you actually expect them to play?..
They always play yhte old songs too.
04.06.2006 - 14:17
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Yeah, but they don't always play pretty much all old songs, do they. I heard about this yesterday I think it was. About them playing all of Master Of Puppets, and other old songs. I don't know whether Metallica is getting back to their old days. We've all got our hopes up for the new album being in the right direction, after the band saying that that's what they're trying to to and that they've been listening to Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets for inspiration. But as Ozman once said "They said that before making St. Anger". So yeah, I dunno.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
04.06.2006 - 15:41
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Its hard to tell really because they always play old songs, those are the songs we want to hear. I think they just played all the master of puppets songs to celebrate the anniversary. How i wish they would deliver a good cd this time...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
04.06.2006 - 16:08
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Two of my friends were there. They phoned me during the gig.I listened For whom the bell tolls over the phone

Yes it was one hell of a gig and yes they are coming back to the old ways (I think)
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
04.06.2006 - 16:20
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
shit it was live on MTV and i dind't know
i only saw last two songs, was fuckin dinrkin whooe night and miss tallica
but it's MTv im sure it's gona be soon again
----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil:
04.06.2006 - 16:44
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
If you find out when Mtv will repeat the show please warn me, i want to see it too!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
04.06.2006 - 18:31
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
So? That they play the old songs, should I see that as a sign, that they are able to write them again?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
04.06.2006 - 18:46
yvesson
Written by Lucas on 04.06.2006 at 18:31

So? That they play the old songs, should I see that as a sign, that they are able to write them again?

Hej,
I think nobody wants that they repeat what they did in the 80's in 2006, but eh, but they surely are able to write trash metal songs again, the key is the will to do so I think.

Havn't heard that MTV germany will play it again, anyway they will play more live shows from "rock am ring" this week end, but there arn't any metal bands in the schedule.
04.06.2006 - 18:46
malice05
Account deleted
all i can hope is Metallica, realise that the crowd, the fans, people like us, enjoy there old music, and start writing and recording songs like they did back in the day...

cheers, Malice05
05.06.2006 - 15:41
yvesson
Hej,
It seems they won't play it again. They will play some "best of" from the festival though, but surely they won't play the full concert soon again.
06.06.2006 - 06:49
TheKreator
Account deleted
i personally don't think they will ever come back to their origins...they'll keep on composing songs,such as those on st.Anger...but in concerts, to attract the crowds...they will sing their old hits as well
07.06.2006 - 08:35
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
You know i would like to say one thing positive that i am hopeful about... Bob Rock is gone... and Rick Rubin is producing the next album, thats a positive in my eyes, rick rubin is resposible for a few Slayer masterworks.
In saying that though i should know them well enough to know they won't make a metal album again. And yet if they do make another M.O.P. like album it will be because the latest trends in my eyes are leaning back to thrash. So whatever the pricipal for Metallica going to the old days again, it will be dollar signs in their eyes.
07.06.2006 - 12:40
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
So, whatever they do, you are sure they do it for the dollars?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
07.06.2006 - 13:13
God Of Reptiles
Account deleted
Have you all heard the new Metallica song played last night in Berlin? It's awesome! The solo is great and it's sure no St. Anger II! I'm sooo excited!

Get it here:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb699wy-cnQ
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ADP_eDAuhg

I wonder how there hasn't been news about this yet on this site
07.06.2006 - 16:42
God Of Reptiles
Account deleted
Here's a full-length good quality mp3:

http://www.metportal.de/20060606_newsong_metworld.de.zip

The password is www.metallica-world.de
07.06.2006 - 17:29
ANTStorm
Hope to hear the same set list(as in first post) at the gig in Estonia next tuesday!
----
A grief of missing understanding,
A lot of knowledge ain't of use,
A wisdom earned by lifetime spent,
Says too much, thinking in abuse.
08.06.2006 - 02:14
..ExoTeaR..
damn metallica everyone i no in the whole of australia has seen them live and arnt even fans i love them to peices and ALL!!!!! THERE ALBUMS and im not blest with such an experience HOW CAN THERE BE A GOD
----
[-0-] Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!
08.06.2006 - 02:26
Endoftherainbow
I heard a new Metallica song today that they just played live. I must say that it wasn't good at all better then St. Anger but still terriable there most definently not playing metal again. They've always played old songs live though that's the one thing those conceited assholes have done right since Master of Puppets is continue to play songs from the album prior to that. Here is a link to a link for the new song they played live http://www.metalinjection.net/news/viewnews.cgi?id=EEuAyAkyypeFvDLZAC
08.06.2006 - 15:56
wild:child
Account deleted
That's not news.. They always play the classics. When I saw them on the St. Anger tour (yeah.. I hate st. anger, but that was the tour they were on, so there wasn't much I could do about that..) they played maybe two songs from the new album, and the rest were songs among those mentioned in the first post...
10.06.2006 - 21:01
Vigil
Account deleted
Metallica has been fucked ever since the black album. At least they put out four incredibly kick ass albums before they converted to fuck off country rock.
11.06.2006 - 12:44
wrathchild
Staff
Question: do they play those classics with standard tuning, I mean, not with the downtuned guitars they've had since Load (and part of the black album) and that have gotten worse with St Anger?
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
11.06.2006 - 13:15
yvesson
Hej,
Well that's and interesting and hard question wrathchild, but I can answer this : yes.
I played along on "orion", with my guitar which is always tuned standard E.
11.06.2006 - 16:24
NECURATU
They aren't returning to their old style because they can't play thrash anymore. Either Lars has a lousy drum kit, or he can't play drums anymore, and Kirk can't handle his own solos!!! I managed to "aquire" Orion, the way they played at Rock Ring. Excepting the ending which is like in the blessed 80's, it's a pile of maneur.
And afterwards, I listened to one of the songs on their new "Download" (crappy name) album. Mainstream. Metallica died with Cliff Burton.
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
14.06.2006 - 04:30
aporyon
for those who think that metallica can't fucking play metal you need to see this exellent performance by metallica playing the all mighty orion that has never been played compete in a concert i hope you guys enjoy this as much as i do
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mosb-F_h0KA
14.06.2006 - 10:44
Warman
Erotic Stains
Metallica can and will always play metal
----
14.06.2006 - 18:39
catzz
Creeping Death
Fuel
Wherever I May Roam
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Fade To Black
Battery
Master Of Puppets
The Thing That Should Not Be
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Disposable Heroes
Leper Messiah
Trujillo solo/Orion
Damage, Inc.
---
Sad But True
Nothing Else Matters
One
Enter Sandman
---
So What
Seek & Destroy
---

This was yesterday's list in Tallinn (Estonia). There was like 78 000 people. It was just unbelieveble show. This Master of Puppets serie was fucking awesom. I will never ever forget this gig! They also sayd that they are planning new album and new tour. I forgive them theyr st.anger album and i understand why they did this... and i belive they are comeing back in the old days. Metallica is the best!!
----
Butler: Your eggs are cut sir.
Stewie: Cut my milk!
Butler: I can't sir, it's liquid.
Stewie: Imbecile! Freeze it, then cut it, and if you question me again I'll put you on diaper detail and I promise I won't make it easy for you.
14.06.2006 - 22:56
Ayr
Account deleted
anyone got pics from last night in Tallinn?
16.06.2006 - 15:20
catzz
Written by [user id=681] on 14.06.2006 at 22:56

anyone got pics from last night in Tallinn?

I found this http://public.fotki.com/CrazyLT/concerts2006/metallica/
----
Butler: Your eggs are cut sir.
Stewie: Cut my milk!
Butler: I can't sir, it's liquid.
Stewie: Imbecile! Freeze it, then cut it, and if you question me again I'll put you on diaper detail and I promise I won't make it easy for you.