Metal Storm logo
The most difficult genre to get into

Original post

Posted by Bitch Boy, 16.03.2007 - 01:25
I was considering to open this thread in the Metal Arena, but I think that this is not a battle at all, instead, I opened this to see which genre do you consider the hardest to get into, based on your own experience and on what you have heard/read from other people.

I know that many people seem to take a lot to get into progressive metal, for example, and I don't know why, but I supposed it's because this whole experimentation with complex structures and stuff. In the other hand, and based on the number of fans of each band, I can see that doom metal is one of the most "unpopular" (¿?) or the hardest genre to get into for most of the people here in Metal Storm (especially funeral doom).

The genre that has taken me the most to get into is death metal, basically the pure death, technical death and brutal death. I don't know why this happens to me as I don't dislike grunts, and I would say that the only death metal form I appreciate is melo-death (including gothenburg) or death metal fusions with other genres like death/doom or death/prog.

So, what do you think it is the most difficult genre to get in?
19.05.2011 - 20:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 19.05.2011 at 20:08

Written by [user id=4365] on 19.05.2011 at 17:56

Naturally the most difficult genre will be those those that veer the furthest away from structured music, which is something more or less everyone is brought up believing is the sole factor which constitutes "music" (pop fans would probably argue it's "melody" or something).

Actually they'll usually argue that in pop it's the "beat".

Surely that would be dance/techno etc? Not much of a beat in ballads etc.
19.05.2011 - 20:11
Yasmine
Written by [user id=4365] on 19.05.2011 at 20:09

Written by Yasmine on 19.05.2011 at 20:08

Written by [user id=4365] on 19.05.2011 at 17:56

Naturally the most difficult genre will be those those that veer the furthest away from structured music, which is something more or less everyone is brought up believing is the sole factor which constitutes "music" (pop fans would probably argue it's "melody" or something).

Actually they'll usually argue that in pop it's the "beat".

Surely that would be dance/techno etc? Not much of a beat in ballads etc.

But most pop isn't ballads, they're upbeat club songs, and even in college there had to be 1 or 2 dumb chicks defending pop. Ballads do tend to be big hits with young chicks when they're about getting dumped. lol
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
19.05.2011 - 22:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 19.05.2011 at 20:11

But most pop isn't ballads, they're upbeat club songs, and even in college there had to be 1 or 2 dumb chicks defending pop. Ballads do tend to be big hits with young chicks when they're about getting dumped. lol

Well I still envisage pop as stuff like Steps, Britany Spears etc but I guess in all reality mainstream Hip-Hop and Modern (crap) RnB constitutes a massive amount of what's called "pop" so I guess beat would be a big part of it. I try to forget mainstream hip-hop wherever possible.
20.05.2011 - 00:32
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
I think a lot of pop has very little to do with the music at all... I mean why is Ke$ha popular in an acceptable way but Rebecca Black is popular in infamy? The music sounds so similar...
20.05.2011 - 00:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Introspekrieg on 20.05.2011 at 00:32

I think a lot of pop has very little to do with the music at all... I mean why is Ke$ha popular in an acceptable way but Rebecca Black is popular in infamy? The music sounds so similar...

I almost creamed myself out of sheer agreement. Thanks for being essentially the first person I know (of) who agrees with me!

All my friends are like EW REBECCA BLACK SHE'S SO BAD and then my ex came over with her laptop and showed me the video... I just looked at her and was like, how come people think this is so bad? It's bad. But it's not really worse than any of the other shit I hear on the radio and the top 40 and whatnot. Is it just because of the auto-tune abuse? It's not like she's pioneering that or something.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.05.2011 - 00:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
She's pretty dope for a 14 year old. Did I say dope? I meant phat.
20.05.2011 - 01:07
Yasmine
I loathe hip-hop, mainstream or not.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
20.05.2011 - 01:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 20.05.2011 at 01:07

There's some really quite good stuff out there though. Dälek is a common suggestion as it's so un-hip-hop-ey, musically having more in common with industrial and ambient. Actually most of the Hip-Hop I like is done by white guys, but that's purely incidental.
20.05.2011 - 01:22
Yasmine
Written by [user id=4365] on 20.05.2011 at 01:13

Written by Yasmine on 20.05.2011 at 01:07

There's some really quite good stuff out there though. Dälek is a common suggestion as it's so un-hip-hop-ey, musically having more in common with industrial and ambient. Actually most of the Hip-Hop I like is done by white guys, but that's purely incidental.

I hate to do this to you, but to me those are just "sounds". No way I listen to that, Hip-hop or black metal.
----
20.05.2011 - 01:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Sigh
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.05.2011 - 01:45
Yasmine
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.05.2011 at 01:25

Sigh

</3? lol
----
20.05.2011 - 01:46
ANGEL REAPER
Brutal forms of any extreme genre of metal...and probably prog stuff....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
20.05.2011 - 01:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Yasmine on 20.05.2011 at 01:45

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.05.2011 at 01:25

Sigh

</3? lol

sigh
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.05.2011 - 01:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Did I misunderstand or was black metal just referred to as "just sounds"?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.05.2011 - 01:55
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.05.2011 at 01:53

That reminds me of this bartender when I played Strapping Young Lad on the jukebox... she rolled her eyes and said "anyone can do this, all you have to do is scream into a microphone"
20.05.2011 - 01:58
Yasmine

You misunderstood. lol
----
20.05.2011 - 02:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Introspekrieg on 20.05.2011 at 01:55

That reminds me of this bartender when I played Strapping Young Lad on the jukebox... she rolled her eyes and said "anyone can do this, all you have to do is scream into a microphone"

I hate when people say shit like that. If it's so easy to scream, growl, shriek, bark, grunt, whatever else you can come up with that isn't clean singing, then why aren't you fronting a band and making some money? I mean I don't think a lot of vocalists' styles (clean singing as well) are easy to mimic, but saying stuff like "all you have to do is scream into a mic" drives me up the wall. And ya, screaming into a mic is easy. Doing it well, for an extended period of time, and finding a sound with a band to compliment your "easy" screaming...that's not as easy as people seem to think.

It's like telling someone mimicking David Bowie is easy. "All you have to do is dress like a chick and sing into a mic."
----
20.05.2011 - 02:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Yasmine on 20.05.2011 at 01:58

You misunderstood. lol

Okay good, I was a bit worried.
----
20.05.2011 - 02:14
Yasmine
While the music of DM and BM is interesting and I love it fact is 90% or higher can in fact do it if they tried. A few things, 1 most metal singers have no clue which notes they're hitting, if they even do hit multiple notes in a single passage. Next, most DM vocalists don't hit any notes below D3-C3 leaving them in the tenor range were they singers. Not trying to start anything, just being realistic, and I love both genres but the vocals are not special in the least.
----
20.05.2011 - 02:24
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Yasmine on 20.05.2011 at 02:14

the vocals are not special in the least.

that is the reason why people like me do such vocals in first place....
BTW I can do both of BM and DM vocals ....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
20.05.2011 - 03:21
rekkuza-
Written by Yasmine on 20.05.2011 at 02:14

While the music of DM and BM is interesting and I love it fact is 90% or higher can in fact do it if they tried. A few things, 1 most metal singers have no clue which notes they're hitting, if they even do hit multiple notes in a single passage. Next, most DM vocalists don't hit any notes below D3-C3 leaving them in the tenor range were they singers. Not trying to start anything, just being realistic, and I love both genres but the vocals are not special in the least.

... which is why most fans don's bother listening to the vocals, and focus more on the instrumentation.
----
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it- Oscar Wilde
20.05.2011 - 05:42
Yasmine
Yes, I love the stuff, but I listen for the instrumentation.
----
20.05.2011 - 09:13
whatsacow
While I dont mind it, I'd say drone metal and glitch metal would be the hardest genres to get into...
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
20.05.2011 - 09:21
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Glitch for sure is quite hard to get. For me Black metal is something i can't get into. Funeral doom is another one i can't seem to digest
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
20.05.2011 - 11:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Guys.... what is glitch metal?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass

Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

20.05.2011 - 11:51
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Hmmm not sure, I wasn't talking about metal when i mentioned glitch.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
20.05.2011 - 13:53
Yavanna
Really, I tried to listen Black Metal, and I tried to like it, but is something I can't get into.
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
20.05.2011 - 15:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.05.2011 at 11:30

The closest I can think of would be WHOURKR (has one of the guys from Igorrr who I always go on about) good stuff.

But Glitch by itself is a derivative of breakcore/beat I would say.
20.05.2011 - 19:49
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by [user id=4365] on 20.05.2011 at 15:47

The closest I can think of would be WHOURKR (has one of the guys from Igorrr who I always go on about) good stuff.

Honestly its like Aphex Twin meets anaal nathrakh.

I can't get into Ambient music. Being a metal head, its way to boring.
20.05.2011 - 20:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 20.05.2011 at 15:47

Yeah I'm familiar with both WHOURKR and Igorrr, I preffer WHOURKR over Igorrr although both are equally interesting and quite fun to listen to.

I searched some breakcore stuff and found it hilarious and not in a good way. But then I again I just wrote Breakcore in youtube and checked out a few videos.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass

Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.