Metal Storm logo
The Band that Invented Metal

Original post

Posted by Lupas, 01.06.2006 - 18:51
I wonder who was the first band that invented True Metal Music .
Some say that was OZZY or ACDC and others would say LED or even Metallica.
Better leave to you this decision
27.10.2011 - 06:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by [user id=115824] on 27.10.2011 at 05:07

In my opinion, i would say Venom or Motorhead, sure bands like Black Sabbath, Diamond Head, or Iron Maiden were pioneers in the NWOBHM, but i dont think they created metal, none of them were just heavy enough, but Venom and Motorhead take the cake for the first metal bands, in my opinion.

uh... just uh.

so bands that pioneered the New Wave of British Heavy Metal didn't create metal... metal was created after the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, which, by name, implies a prior wave of British Heavy Metal. but neither the Old Wave of British Heavy Metal or New Wave of British Heavy Metal are actually metal.

And Sabbath NWOBHM?

thanks for sharing.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
27.10.2011 - 09:14
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite

In my opinion, i would say Venom or Motorhead, sure bands like Black Sabbath, Diamond Head, or Iron Maiden were pioneers in the NWOBHM, but i dont think they created metal, none of them were just heavy enough, but Venom and Motorhead take the cake for the first metal bands, in my opinion.

Oh my goodness. You're really clueless, dude.
27.10.2011 - 19:49
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 27.10.2011 at 06:20

uh... just uh.

so bands that pioneered the New Wave of British Heavy Metal didn't create metal... metal was created after the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, which, by name, implies a prior wave of British Heavy Metal. but neither the Old Wave of British Heavy Metal or New Wave of British Heavy Metal are actually metal.

And Sabbath NWOBHM?

thanks for sharing.

Venom and Motorhead are both British bands, so they can be included in the NWOBHM, but even though, those other bands are classified as NWOBHM, i personally dont think they were as heavy as Venom or Motohead, they were more along the lines of classic hard rock. but not metal.
27.10.2011 - 21:14
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by [user id=115824] on 27.10.2011 at 19:49

Venom and Motorhead are both British bands, so they can be included in the NWOBHM, but even though, those other bands are classified as NWOBHM, i personally dont think they were as heavy as Venom or Motohead, they were more along the lines of classic hard rock. but not metal.

I think you kinda missed the point about how there could be a "new wave" of metal if, per your own statement, metal was not invented until Motorvenom. "New" implies there was "old" metal prior.

and Sabbath were certainly NOT NWOBHM. they were "old" wave. they invented metal.

i know it's a useless internet argument and all sorts of morons will run rampant claiming everything from Motorvenom to Coven started metal... but even when prominent metal musicians are asked in any number of documentaries that have been made, they all point back (rightfully) to Black Sabbath.

but you are 18 and have internet access, so therefore you know everything. i'm not sure why i am wasting my time.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
27.10.2011 - 21:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Moronic ignorance is once again bliss.
Also concerning what constitutes NWOBHM
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.10.2011 - 21:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Apparently he thinks that the history of metal is malleable and can be changed on the whim of one person's opinion. Obviously 40 years of metal history is nothing compared to the views of one recent ex-fetus who thinks he knows it all.
27.10.2011 - 21:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Pff everyone knows the true inventor of metal was Wagner.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.10.2011 - 21:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 27.10.2011 at 21:43

one recent ex-fetus

I'm so using that as a new insult, thank you Joe
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass

Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

27.10.2011 - 22:17
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
It's all nothing compared to the greatness of Lulu anyway.
27.12.2012 - 18:01
AndMetalForAll
kual21
Very difficult question to answer. But I tend to go to Led Zeppelin. They were the first that played something very different than the rest of the bands at the time. Also, major contributors are Deep Purple, Blackmore's technique innovated the way hard-rock/heavy metal started to be made onwards. Also: Nazareth, Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath (of course), UFO or Blue Öyster Cult.
----
greets,
kual21
27.12.2012 - 21:37
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
It's difficult to point to one particular "inventor", since there are a lot of sources that made metal what it is today. Classical music helped influence the dissonant feel of metal music, along with inspiring the progressive and symphonic genres much later on down the line, and the same goes with jazz (in regards to influence on Prog metal), but some of the first true bands to take hard rock to the next level were the trio of Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Deep Purple. They were definitely among the Old Wave bands that helped deliver the metal genre into existence.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
27.12.2012 - 22:06
Aristarchos
Written by AndMetalForAll on 27.12.2012 at 18:01

Very difficult question to answer. But I tend to go to Led Zeppelin. They were the first that played something very different than the rest of the bands at the time. Also, major contributors are Deep Purple, Blackmore's technique innovated the way hard-rock/heavy metal started to be made onwards. Also: Nazareth, Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath (of course), UFO or Blue Öyster Cult.

Personally I have never found Led Zeppelin's music that extremely different from its predecessors (especially Jeff Beck Group). In that case I think Blue Cheer, Iron Butterfly and Vanilla Fudge sounded equally different from their predecessors. For me Black Sabbath was the first band that really created something that could be called metal, although I think a lot of their songs only were on the border to metal, and Blue Cheer already had released one metal song, "Summertime Blues" in 1967, but that is their only metal song.
28.12.2012 - 11:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Aristarchos on 27.12.2012 at 22:06

Personally I have never found Led Zeppelin's music that extremely different from its predecessors (especially Jeff Beck Group). In that case I think Blue Cheer, Iron Butterfly and Vanilla Fudge sounded equally different from their predecessors. For me Black Sabbath was the first band that really created something that could be called metal, although I think a lot of their songs only were on the border the metal, and Blue Cheer already had released one metal song, "Summertime Blues" in 1967, but that is their only metal song.

I am still baffled why people call Summertime Blues a metal song. It is pure rock nothing metal about it at all.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.12.2012 - 11:59
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.12.2012 at 11:29

I am still baffled why people call Summertime Blues a metal song. It is pure rock nothing metal about it at all.

Yeah, I agree with Marcel on this one - this isn't a metal song at all. This might be controversial but I reckon Judas Priest probably made the first true metal album with Stained Class. Don't get me wrong, there were others making music that was sounding like metal but this is the first album for me that sounds like pure metal.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
28.12.2012 - 12:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Aristarchos on 27.12.2012 at 22:06

Written by AndMetalForAll on 27.12.2012 at 18:01

Personally I have never found Led Zeppelin's music that extremely different from its predecessors (especially Jeff Beck Group). In that case I think Blue Cheer, Iron Butterfly and Vanilla Fudge sounded equally different from their predecessors. For me Black Sabbath was the first band that really created something that could be called metal, although I think a lot of their songs only were on the border the metal, and Blue Cheer already had released one metal song, "Summertime Blues" in 1967, but that is their only metal song.

oh yeah and Summertime Blues is originally by Eddie Cochran from 1958 and is a pure rock and roll song
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.12.2012 - 12:18
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Well I'm just reading the comments on this thread, but I think hard rockers like Deep Purple have influenced creating metal so much. and how about band like Ramones ?
28.12.2012 - 12:27
Aristarchos
Written by Ace Frawley on 28.12.2012 at 11:59

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.12.2012 at 11:29

Yeah, I agree with Marcel on this one - this isn't a metal song at all. This might be controversial but I reckon Judas Priest probably made the first true metal album with Stained Class. Don't get me wrong, there were others making music that was sounding like metal but this is the first album for me that sounds like pure metal.

I can understand what you mean, and partly agree. All metal albums earlier than Stained Class had a blues influence, and included non-metal songs. If "Summertime Blues" is not a metal song, then I neither know if I can accept any entire album earlier than Stained Class as metal, only a couple of songs like "Symptom Of The Universe", "Children Of The Grave", "Black Sabbath" and so on.
28.12.2012 - 12:52
Aristarchos
Written by [user id=130727] on 28.12.2012 at 12:18

Well I'm just reading the comments on this thread, but I think hard rockers like Deep Purple have influenced creating metal so much. and how about band like Ramones ?

Punk definitely hugely influenced NWOBHM and thrash metal, but I don't know if Ramones in particular did. They were quite poppy. I guess the NWOBHM was influenced more by the Brittish punk bands, and that thrash metal was influenced more by hardcore punk bands. Deep Purple definitely had a big influence on the genre, but not until their In Rock album from 1970, and at the time that was released, Black Sabbath's debut was already released. I guess "Highway Star" is Deep Purple's most influential song for metal, which influenced the speed metal genre, and is sometimes called the first speed metal song. Exactly where to draw the line to what is metal is of course impossible, but I think "Highway Star" is the most metallic song Deep Purple made.
29.12.2012 - 14:18
mojo
Been idly reading a while and I'm not sure how Metal can have been invented after the "New Wave of British Heavy Metal", since if it is a "New Wave" then there must have been an "Old Wave" of British Heavy Metal...

To me the "Old Wave" of BHM implied by the existence of a "New Wave" was principally Black Sabbath and (arguably) Judas Priest, but I seem to remember Led Zep and Deep Purp were also there plus a few other bands nobody gives a fuck about any more. Still, if I'm old enough to remember this stuff, I'm old enough to remember it wrong.

Oh yeah, also, maybe I dreamt it but I'm sure Motorhead were included in the NWOBHM, at the time. But then I was about 12 and I have a lot of hazy memories between then and now. Judas Priest kind of get included now, though really they weren't at the time - everyone knew they were much older. It didn't do their sales any harm though to get caught up in the NWOBHM hype.

[edit]
Oh yeah, I forgot to answer the OP. Drum roll!
If we must say one band invented heavy metal, then it was Black Sabbath. No ifs, no buts.

I thought the 13 pages of this thread (because "Black Sabbath" doesn't reasonably fill 13 pages) might be a fascinating discussion of the other things which made heavy metal manifest itself when it did ... things like post-imperial comedown, postwar inner-city decay and increasing joblessness, the end of the flower-power dream, Cold War paranoia, the popular rise of Drug Culture, improvements in music technology and the will of each new generation to turn it up and speed it up just a little bit more. That sorta thing. Oh well.
----
Yeah. No. Wait, what was the question?
29.12.2012 - 18:51
john_mcc
The term NWOBHM was invented specifically for Iron Maiden by Sounds magazine and then also extended to include other British Metal bands who came out with their debut album around about the same time as Maiden (around 1980). It never included Motorhead who were already an established band by this point, but it did include bands such as Def Leppard and Saxon. Motorhead at the time always seen themselves as having more in common with the punk scene than the Metal scene and Lemmy frequently complained that it was just the long hair and him having been in Hawkwind that stopped the rest of the world from realising that.

Ask anyone at the time to name some Heavy Metal bands and Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple would have been in every answer and those bands had become very unfashionable in the post-punk UK, so Geoff Barton at Sounds invented the term NWOBHM to emphasise that the newer Metal bands had reinvented the traditional Metal sound to better fit the post-punk era, and calling it New Wave was a deliberate attempt to link it to the then very fashionable Punk New Wave bands. It was all a marketing ploy. By a Journalist.
29.12.2012 - 21:25
Cream
Account deleted
Metals starts with the first metal band Cream. Sabbath and Co. were described as Cream-wannabes. Metal was invented in 1966.
29.12.2012 - 21:29
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by [user id=137482] on 29.12.2012 at 21:25

Metals starts with the first metal band Cream. Sabbath and Co. were described as Cream-wannabes. Metal was invented in 1966.

what are you trying to say ?!!
29.12.2012 - 21:32
Cream
Account deleted
Written by [user id=130727] on 29.12.2012 at 21:29

Cream were the first band that played music what would 4 years later be known as heavy metal. They were the predecessor of Zeppelin and Sabbath.
Yardbirds with Beck would be a second guess. Both bands were 1966.
29.12.2012 - 21:36
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by [user id=137482] on 29.12.2012 at 21:32

Written by [user id=130727] on 29.12.2012 at 21:29

Cream were the first band that played music what would 4 years later be known as heavy metal. They were the predecessor of Zeppelin and Sabbath.
Yardbirds with Beck would be a second guess. Both bands were 1966.

but they were Psychedelic rock, blues rock,hmmm
29.12.2012 - 21:37
thundercunt
Account deleted
Just cuz a band predecess anotha metal band don mean they inherently metal, ya dig
othawise a brotha like me just say shit like look at dem cavedudes, they metal as fuck dog
and that aint right
29.12.2012 - 21:39
Cream
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:

Sabbath and Zeppelin were blues/psydelic rock too. Metal as own genre started in the mid-late 70s with Scorpiens, Priest, Motörhead and on their follow the NWOBHM and bands like Accept.
29.12.2012 - 22:12
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:
Written by [user id=137482] on 29.12.2012 at 21:39

Sabbath and Zeppelin were blues/psydelic rock too. Metal as own genre started in the mid-late 70s with Scorpiens, Priest, Motörhead and on their follow the NWOBHM and bands like Accept.

so that means they have influenced not invented metal
30.12.2012 - 00:13
Cream
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:

No band invented metal. It was created through the use of distortion on guitars: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion_(music)

Therefore technological invention and the creative use of it.
30.12.2012 - 00:38
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Quote:
Quote:
Written by [user id=137482] on 30.12.2012 at 00:13

No band invented metal. It was created through the use of distortion on guitars: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion_(music)

Therefore technological invention and the creative use of it.

If distortion is the only defining factor in metal, that means Rocket 88 is the first metal song ever.

There are a lot more factors that determine metal-ness than distortion.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
30.12.2012 - 00:49
thundercunt
Account deleted
Kings a rhythm, now thas my kinda shit right thurr
they brothas got soul, know what im sayin
and probly about as relevant to metal as most bands this otha cat been talkin bout