Metal Storm logo
Languages You Speak/Would Like To Speak/Are Learning

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 18.08.2007 - 17:35
The idea is simple... Talk about the languages you speak, and the ones you would like to learn. What are they? Why do you like them? What is that you don't like about them? How and where did you learn them? What is your mother language?

Personally...

- (As you *might* have noticed) I speak English. Not really well, but I think I can say I know the basis. But it is not my first language: French is. I don't want to sound pretentious or anything, but I speak French really well. Yet, it is the third language I learnt.
- My mother language is Arabic, it was the first one I learnt as I am Moroccan and was born in Morocco. But my parents speak French more than Arabic, and I started going to a French school when I was 5, thus, I started forgetting Arabic. I was still as able to understand it as before, but I couldn't speak it anymore, past my 8th birthday. (Some other important factors were involded, but it is not necessary to mention them.)
- The second language I learnt was Spanish, because of/thanks to Spanish TV channels and my grandmother, who only spoke Spanish and Arabic. But when we left the city where we were living (Tanger, just in front of Spain), I stopped watching Spanish channels, and left my grandmother as well, and then, forgot Spanish too .
- That's when French comes. It became my first language around 8. As the French school system wants it, I started learning English at 11. And I unexpectedly didn't have any difficulty with it. I have always had the best mark in that subject, without making any effort for that. Unfortunately it is still not enough. I realised my level was not as good as I thought it was.
- The next year, (I was 12) I chose Latin, but I had to stop after a few months, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to start Spanish the following year. I started re-learning Spanish at 13.
- But since I took Spanish at 13, I couldn't take German at 15. I had too many subjects and the teachers wouldn't let me add German. Yet it is the language I really want to learn. I like the sonority of it, and I watch German TV channels just to hear it, even if I don't get a word of it .
- As a consequence, the two languages I can speak the best are French, and English.

As you see the topic is vast, there is a lot to say...
29.03.2010 - 23:38
Ragana
Rawrcat
Well, I don't know anything about it being boring to study. It would be interesting, heh.
10.07.2010 - 22:08
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ernis on 29.03.2010 at 22:47

Written by Valentin B on 29.03.2010 at 22:34

while i do agree that knowing a few other languages helps, i don't think we should go to that length. 2, MAYBE 3 foreign tongues

As I said... it's not important that you speak all of them perfectly... you should speak bout three languages well... and others... well... just understand them in the basic field...

haha i guess i'm in the clear zone now, my Spanish has improved dramatically in the last 2-3 months due to my job(i answer calls in english/spanish but i'm still not at a near-native speaking level), plus i lost my eastern accent in english(which is now flawless and i daresay indistinguishable from a native speaker).

there's few things that excite me more than learning new languages, i guess i could call that one of my passions nowadays so i have a new "list":

-Catalan - it's not quite the most widely spoken language but it's very interesting and even though not as similar as i thought to Spanish it's still quite easy to draw parallels. there are even words that are the same in Romanian

-German - i really really fuckin want to start speaking German again, i even challenged myself to take at least one call on the German line entirely in this language until i resign from the job, and i also chose 2 subjects taught entirely in the tongue of Rammstein for my next semester.

one of my dreams is to form a band and every time we tour in different countries talk to the people attending in their own tongue (or even better, in the regionally accepted tongue like Catalan for example)
i'm seriously sick of using English and Romanian all the time(especially English), i feel like i've maxed the languages out, there's no challenge left, no bumps on the road anymore(and i feel that within a few months it will be the same case with Spanish)
10.07.2010 - 22:25
The Turbanator
Mother tongue - Punjabi.

also speaks good English, Malay and a little bit Tamil.

Learning French.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
16.07.2010 - 06:30
SerratedSyringe
I've taken eight semesters of German and I'm still pretty awful at it, especially the grammar. I'd like to learn Russian too for some reason.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
16.07.2010 - 22:39
Kennoth
I speak Croatian, Serbian, Montenegrin, Bosnian

Other than my mother tongue, I speak English (surprise, surprise) and that's it. And oh, I know some words of Greek.

Languages I'd like to learn? German (so I can understand Rammstein), Spanish, maybe even Italian.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
16.07.2010 - 22:49
vezzy
Stallmanite
I speak Bulgarian and English.

I'm learning German and would like to learn Spanish.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
07.08.2010 - 15:57
Sangre Sani
I speak polish and english.

I would like to learn Esperanto or Latin (or both).
10.08.2010 - 13:24
Fane
Finnish, English and I understand simple Swedish sentences. Goal is to have 95% perfect English and write Finnish well, haha. Really, it's so easy to mess up compound nouns, commas, indefinite pronouns etc. in Finnish. A complex language.

Swedish is in the list because we are forced to learn it here. It's the same if people in US would have to learn Spanish because of Mexico. In the end, it's useless. Only a few use the language couple times in their whole lifetime. Other forget the language at the very moment they leave compulsory school. German would be a better choice if you had to have an extra language. More widely used and doesn't sound annoying.

I would like to learn latin as well, but I doubt I've a chance for it in the future.
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
17.08.2010 - 20:01
warrior_of_ice
Polish and English. Learning German and Italian through audiobooks and various other sources. My best attempt has to be learning Russian. My father speaks it fluently and i am hoping that by being exposed to it, i will pick it up soon enough.
20.08.2010 - 00:22
Ernis
狼獾
Got some wonderful and awesomely easy-going Latin study materials t'day. It's fun for it's not just some tasteless and rigid lists of words or ultra complex texts of ancient Roman mythology and politics... it's just normal laid-back Latin language as you'd speak it in everyday life. Plus a language like this, when you've mastered this, it's like you already know all the other Indo-European languages...

Plus I got a German grammar book...

Toll!
20.08.2010 - 02:02
Elodie Artour
Slania
@Viggo: You're probably right about Latin but I do wish you luck with German grammar!

As for me, I haven't stopped studying and practicing German, English and Norwegian. I've recently picked up Spanish, as well which I find quite fun.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
20.08.2010 - 08:52
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Fane on 10.08.2010 at 13:24

Swedish is in the list because we are forced to learn it here. It's the same if people in US would have to learn Spanish because of Mexico. In the end, it's useless. Only a few use the language couple times in their whole lifetime. Other forget the language at the very moment they leave compulsory school.

hah, sounds like me with French

i can still understand most texts though, but when it comes to speaking, because of so little practice, i'm at shit-level once again.
26.08.2010 - 10:51
?Bodomchild?
I speak Spanish , English and Portuguese, now im learning some Polish with a friend trhu a online game ^^ , also some Swedish (i need a lot more of practice) with a uncle who lives there
----
asd
30.08.2010 - 18:16
FOOCK Nam
I speak English and my sht home tounge. Currently Im still on learning English. My vocabulary and grammar of speaking are not articulating. *Harder*, .

Im willingful to learn:
_SPANISH, for a particular reason. A
_Russian, I like some Russian music C
_Japan, well you know, the culture. C+
_Chinese. C -
09.09.2010 - 18:12
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
I speak Arabic (being my mother tongue), English (being my second mother tongue), French (being in no relation to my mother tongues but I was forced to learn it because of a French girl in my area that I wanted to impress but failed ).

what I'd like to speak...mmm....let's see, I'm currently studying Russian (by myself) and not doing very well with it..German, so I can understand what the Mannschaft fans speak (being a Mannschaft fan myself), Finnish, it sounds appealing for some reason when I hear Kalmah or Norther greeting the fans.
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
09.09.2010 - 20:44
Ernis
狼獾
Written by iMPERiAL_iCE on 09.09.2010 at 18:12

I speak Arabic (being my mother tongue), English (being my second mother tongue)

Shouldn't you be speaking German well too? You live in Zürich, which would imply you have good command of German (unless you moved there recently, of course...)
20.09.2010 - 18:38
Gurth Bennas
I speak persian very nice! and I almost can speak english. I like to speak french and swedish!
----
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

(One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)
20.09.2010 - 22:22
akvan
I'm going to migrate to another country ( if i can ) , and i must learn their language , i don't know which country is better for migration , what is your idea ?
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
21.09.2010 - 00:18
Ernis
狼獾
Written by akvan on 20.09.2010 at 22:22

I'm going to migrate to another country ( if i can ) , and i must learn their language , i don't know which country is better for migration , what is your idea ?

Don't try Estonia... it's maybe a bit less horrid than Islamic Republic but that's about it...
Recommended countries to you... Finland and Sweden... or China... or Norway... I've heard that Norway is a very friendly country filled with nice and friendly people... the evil black metal churchburners are a minority...
21.09.2010 - 12:28
akvan
Yes , I heard Sweden is best country for migrants , yes , I think Sweden is best choice
so i must learn Swedish
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
21.09.2010 - 21:46
Ernis
狼獾
Written by akvan on 21.09.2010 at 12:28

Yes , I heard Sweden is best country for migrants , yes , I think Sweden is best choice
so i must learn Swedish

Good good... if you learn Swedish, that means that you'll also be able to understand and speak Norwegian... it's like studying Romance languages... they're all rather close to each other, Norwegian, Danish and Swedish...
21.09.2010 - 23:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Well I just opted to take Japanese as my elective course. I'm glad it came up as a recommendation as part of my major though I'm probably committing academic suicide by choosing it. Hopefully they won't be too harsh when it comes to grading me. I'm not sure how much a person can learn from a single two hour lesson a week (aside from my own efforts out of class) but looking forward to it anyway.
21.09.2010 - 23:56
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by [user id=4365] on 21.09.2010 at 23:50

I'm not sure how much a person can learn from a single two hour lesson a week (aside from my own efforts out of class) but looking forward to it anyway.

starting about 1 year ago, for 5 months i used to have a 90-minute class in Spanish every week, and now i live in Spain.

nothing is impossible
22.09.2010 - 00:03
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Being half Chilean, I really should know how to speak Spanish, but I cant speak it at all.
22.09.2010 - 00:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 22.09.2010 at 00:03

Being half Chilean, I really should know how to speak Spanish, but I cant speak it at all.

Que? o___O

I didn't knew that... I'm chilean I just moved to Sweden 5,5 years ago hehehe. Did half of your family something during the past weekend? I can't even remember what I did after drinking too much

Back on topic:
Currently I speak Spanish, Swedish and english. By now I know enough swedish to do and say whatever I want and my english is good, I still have a strong accent but I hope people can deal with it. Right now I'm learning english in a more formal way with more "nice and long words" so I can do more professional stuff outside the country.

I hope I can learn german if I get the chance, right now I'm too busy to learn
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.09.2010 - 00:21
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.09.2010 at 00:11
Que? o___O

I didn't knew that... I'm chilean I just moved to Sweden 5,5 years ago hehehe. Did half of your family something during the past weekend? I can't even remember what I did after drinking too much

I actually got that from Manuel in Fawlty Towers.

I didnt know you were Chilean either, haha! Did half of my family do what during the weekend? Im not sure what you're asking there. lol

I was born here, but my father is Chilean.

I would really love to be able to speak Japanese, and of course, Spanish.
22.09.2010 - 00:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 21.09.2010 at 23:56

starting about 1 year ago, for 5 months i used to have a 90-minute class in Spanish every week, and now i live in Spain.

nothing is impossible

Indeed! From what I've read though Spanish is possibly the easiest language to learn for a native English speaker (easier even than French) because of the similarity of the two in that they share very similar linguistic rules (not to mention many similar words) whereas Japanese is possibly the hardest. I probably should have gone for Spanish or French but the thought of learning Japanese was just too tempting =J
22.09.2010 - 00:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Angelic Storm on 22.09.2010 at 00:21

I didnt know you were Chilean either, haha! Did half of my family do what during the weekend? Im not sure what you're asking there. lol

Hehehe Just wondering because 18 September is Chile's national day, this year was quite special since it was Chile's birthday number 200
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.09.2010 - 00:35
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.09.2010 at 00:29
Hehehe Just wondering because 18 September is Chile's national day, this year was quite special since it was Chile's birthday number 200

Now see, I didnt even know that! Ive never even been to Chile (or in fact any other country), nor know very much about it. But it is in my blood, so... lol
26.09.2010 - 13:35
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
Written by Ernis on 09.09.2010 at 20:44

Written by iMPERiAL_iCE on 09.09.2010 at 18:12

I speak Arabic (being my mother tongue), English (being my second mother tongue)

Shouldn't you be speaking German well too? You live in Zürich, which would imply you have good command of German (unless you moved there recently, of course...)

oops forgot to change that in my profile, I lived there for just a couple of months and I was actually getting off speaking a mixture of French, English and a couple of German words.

P.S. 5000+ posts!!! dude get a life hehehehehe just kidding
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(