Metal Storm logo
Paganism

Original post

Posted by Arian Totalis, 21.03.2008 - 05:20
Well, the other one's reached over 500 posts, so I figured to open a new one before the old one is locked. I'll copy paste the old opening post from the thread, so that nothing is really different:

Paganism, often accepted as well as practiced by many metal heads around the world. Some for the sake of rebellion, others because they have found a sincere truth in it. Not only metal heads but people of all different kinds all over the world practice religions that may be described as "Pagan." I Personally would classify Paganism as being any religion that is not what would be considered one of the worlds three major religions. (I.E. Christianity, Islam, and Judaism) a few Religions that can fall under this category are Odinism,Wicca,Hiduism,Babolonian,greek, and roman. Unfortunantley many of these religions of have been weakened and almost decimated by other religions, mainly the catholic church,no offense to any catholics. I myself am a Pagan, and follow mainly Celtic and Norse ideals, with a cross of some asian Spiritual outlooks and philosophies. So basicly, what are your thoughts on paganism? Are you a pagan? Just add anything else you would like to say. Now go on, discuss, discuss.

Alright, enjoy guys.
05.07.2008 - 03:18
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by [user id=33558] on 02.07.2008 at 07:05

I'm an atheist, but i am very interested in paganism, and even considering some form of it as my religion.

What i like about it is that it is that it seems far more open and less forceful than most popular religions. I was raised christian, but i just cant agree with any popular religion or the bible.

The believers in many of the popular religions are just terrible. Ive met many religious people who've spoken strongly against me and my beliefs, some going as far as insults and threats. Ive never said anything against any of them or their beliefs, but deep believers in a religion that promotes you to treat others equaly go against me for no reason other than differing beliefs. My own mother has accused me of being a satanist. My cousin(who is also an atheist) when his son was killed he looked to our grandpa for support. Roughly what he said was: Your don't beleive in god, and neither did the mother. You never had your child baptized. Your son is in hell right now.

Another thing, they could write a book on how to and not to get into heaven, some of it is just crazy. No matter how good a person is they cant get into heaven for numerous reasons, ranging from being gay to to not going to church often enough.

And one god controls the entire world and everything that happens? If that true then that's a f'ed up god with the state the worlds in. Gods ways couldn't possibly be that mysterious could they? A countless number of people shape this world together, not any single god.

I don't mean any disrespect to christians, catholics, etc. though many may hate me for calling god f'ed up. But from my view on life these religions give nothing to the world but hope that everything will be good in the end. Which is one reason i can understand them being so popular, but its just false hope IMO.

Well that ends my rant on the dominant religions, but i still believeve there has to be some form of higher power other than human beings. Which is why some form of paganism would be far more more suited to my personal beleifs.

Yeah, I've had to deal with family treating me like shit just because my beliefs are different too. Mainly I just get "That's bullshit" but rarely do I ever get any "You'll burn in hell"'s. At least not from my family, I would get those mainly from people who I would be open with about my beliefs. But now that I'm older and my family, as well as my peers, understand me alot better, people are generally more acceptant of me and my beliefs.

That's harsh what your grandpa said, and it was a real dick move of him. Hopefully onr day he makes an effort to reconcile for such an atrocious comment.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
07.07.2008 - 07:10
Wintermute
Written by Arian Totalis on 05.07.2008 at 03:15

Written by Wintermute on 02.07.2008 at 03:59

I am not a pagan, nor do claim to be, but I am interested in the ways of the pagans

Do you have any questions that you would perhaps like to ask?

So many, but at the moment, I don't know enough to glorify a good response.

The last few weeks, I've been researching. Let me learn more, then I will ask questions from people who are experienced.

Thanks
----
Life is a waste of time.... time is a waste of life.
07.07.2008 - 20:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

I am not a pagan, nor do claim to be, but I am interested in the ways of the pagans

same what I can say about me, Im not but Im interestin more from scientistic and historian wiew
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.07.2008 - 05:11
Wintermute
Written by Bad English on 07.07.2008 at 20:31

same what I can say about me, Im not but Im interestin more from scientistic and historian wiew

Agreed.
----
09.07.2008 - 06:38
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Wintermute on 07.07.2008 at 07:10

The last few weeks, I've been researching. Let me learn more, then I will ask questions from people who are experienced.

Thanks

very well, I myself am a very experienced pagan, so I am open to any questions you may have when you are ready
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

10.07.2008 - 10:21
Wintermute
Written by Arian Totalis on 09.07.2008 at 06:38

Written by Wintermute on 07.07.2008 at 07:10

Thanks

very well, I myself am a very experienced pagan, so I am open to any questions you may have when you are ready

Thanks a lot, I'll make sure to ask when I feel the need.
----
02.11.2008 - 19:32
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
A late happy Samhain to all
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

03.11.2008 - 01:45
Hyvaarin

*whole bunch of stuff*

I don't really understand this. Why do you wish to attach yourself to a religion? If you do feel that there is some sort of higher spiritual power, don't you think it's taking things a bit lightly to say "ok, pagans tend to be pretty nice, I'll assume that the higher power is the one they revere"? Sorry if it seems like I'm picking on you here, but it really does seem to me that you are maybe overly keen to attach a bunch of specific values and practices (ie. of whichever branch of "paganism" attracts you) to what is essentially a gut feeling. This is highly irrational behaviour.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
04.11.2008 - 06:47
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Hyvaarin on 03.11.2008 at 01:45

*whole bunch of stuff*

I don't really understand this. Why do you wish to attach yourself to a religion? If you do feel that there is some sort of higher spiritual power, don't you think it's taking things a bit lightly to say "ok, pagans tend to be pretty nice, I'll assume that the higher power is the one they revere"? Sorry if it seems like I'm picking on you here, but it really does seem to me that you are maybe overly keen to attach a bunch of specific values and practices (ie. of whichever branch of "paganism" attracts you) to what is essentially a gut feeling. This is highly irrational behaviour.

Yes, I can agree that pursuing a spiritual or religious outlook without having definite reasons why is never a good idea. But part of what he's doing is exploration. Let him explore and see if it's right for him. But exploration should be done with the forthought of exploration, not to simply and blindly follow.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

22.11.2008 - 19:02
BornOfWilderness
Account deleted
Everyone here and elsewhere: I just found this thread and out of sheer intrest I want to add some of my views to this conversation..
So, I have "been pagan" for almost three years, but in heart for all my life. I allways believed in the mythical creatures of my country's history and culture. t
Then at one point I took intrest in satanism and everything rebellious against christianity.. I have grown from those days mentally and spiritically so much that I can't even discribe it. But anywho.. Later on I found out about my country's pre-christian believes and something sparked. That was it I felt it right there: this is me.
First I was just as pagan as most of the metalhead pagans there are, put on a necklace with an ancient symbol and shouted god's and godesses names in the forests..

I,m not going to tell anymore boring details of my life, but I'm asking you: how do you portray pgan believes in the world?
To clarify.. I see the world as a living creature: Mother Earth, she is the ever-present force of the world. And the gods? Well I see that the gods are enormously powerful spirits that mold Mother Earth's forms according their own tastes. And in my opinion they also contribute to the mental heritage of nations. In this way I believe in all gods, but who to worship is my own choice. Like when in Rome.. If you're in South America, don't expect a divine intervention from Thor.. :

So this is my way of seeing/thinking, what do you think?
22.11.2008 - 20:16
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by [user id=33299] on 22.11.2008 at 19:02

Everyone here and elsewhere: I just found this thread and out of sheer intrest I want to add some of my views to this conversation..
So, I have "been pagan" for almost three years, but in heart for all my life. I allways believed in the mythical creatures of my country's history and culture. t
Then at one point I took intrest in satanism and everything rebellious against christianity.. I have grown from those days mentally and spiritically so much that I can't even discribe it. But anywho.. Later on I found out about my country's pre-christian believes and something sparked. That was it I felt it right there: this is me.
First I was just as pagan as most of the metalhead pagans there are, put on a necklace with an ancient symbol and shouted god's and godesses names in the forests..

I,m not going to tell anymore boring details of my life, but I'm asking you: how do you portray pgan believes in the world?
To clarify.. I see the world as a living creature: Mother Earth, she is the ever-present force of the world. And the gods? Well I see that the gods are enormously powerful spirits that mold Mother Earth's forms according their own tastes. And in my opinion they also contribute to the mental heritage of nations. In this way I believe in all gods, but who to worship is my own choice. Like when in Rome.. If you're in South America, don't expect a divine intervention from Thor.. :

Well, when it comes to my individual representation of paganism, I try and open peoples minds and give guidence to those who would have it. I believe in Akasha, the great mother, she is the world and we come from her womb. She feeds us and nourishes us, and gives us all necessities in life. I also follow, as for my pantheon, The Norse gods. I have heritege from scandanavia and it was at first a belief taken on for cultural reasons, but then I explored and found that I truely did have a firm and solid belief in this. I do believe in the existence of all gods, but I think worship is a choice, and I don't think that it matters what part of the world you're in, if you pray, they god will hear you. I live in North America, and I know for a fact i've had answered prayers from Thor. I use his energies as a protective measure during rituals. But that's just me....
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

23.11.2008 - 12:45
BornOfWilderness
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 22.11.2008 at 20:16

Well, when it comes to my individual representation of paganism, I try and open peoples minds and give guidence to those who would have it. I believe in Akasha, the great mother, she is the world and we come from her womb. She feeds us and nourishes us, and gives us all necessities in life. I also follow, as for my pantheon, The Norse gods. I have heritege from scandanavia and it was at first a belief taken on for cultural reasons, but then I explored and found that I truely did have a firm and solid belief in this. I do believe in the existence of all gods, but I think worship is a choice, and I don't think that it matters what part of the world you're in, if you pray, they god will hear you. I live in North America, and I know for a fact i've had answered prayers from Thor. I use his energies as a protective measure during rituals. But that's just me....

My presentaiton was little bit off when I described the part of local gods... I meant: that when you are in a country or part of the world for example North America.. That yes it's true that gods (in my point of view) can have an effect everywhere in the world, but in a place the chief deities are the original: So when in North America, one should respect the native american gods and think themselves as a guest. (Do I make sense?)

But in a way, our believes are very similar: As you believe in gods and Akasha I also believe in her but I just call her by different name, just Mother-earth or Maaemo (the finnish for Mother-earth) As she has given birth to all creatures there are: Mountains, animals, trees, people.. I belive everything has soul, and that every materia on earth is Mother-earth's flesh (except meteor iron and such)

So that's that, I have read a lot about the scandinvian gods also and know the mythology pretty well, and I have allways thought about one thing: How do you see Asa's and Vani's? As it has been thought that Vani's are of older scandinavian traditions and the germanic Asa's appeared later on when the viking society was formed.

As myself I cannot say a thing about the scandinavian gods (As I'm not worshipping them myself) but there's a similar thing in Finland, as there are many pagan gods here also. Here are the Iron- and bronze aged gods (like thundergod Ukko) But there are also older gods that have been around from the stone age (at least) for example: Väinämöinen and Ilmarinen.. And somehow I see that the newer gods appear more often in the world today, but the older gods are allways present on a somehow deeper presence and are more in my heart.
23.11.2008 - 17:39
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by [user id=33299] on 23.11.2008 at 12:45

Written by Arian Totalis on 22.11.2008 at 20:16

My presentaiton was little bit off when I described the part of local gods... I meant: that when you are in a country or part of the world for example North America.. That yes it's true that gods (in my point of view) can have an effect everywhere in the world, but in a place the chief deities are the original: So when in North America, one should respect the native american gods and think themselves as a guest. (Do I make sense?)

But in a way, our believes are very similar: As you believe in gods and Akasha I also believe in her but I just call her by different name, just Mother-earth or Maaemo (the finnish for Mother-earth) As she has given birth to all creatures there are: Mountains, animals, trees, people.. I belive everything has soul, and that every materia on earth is Mother-earth's flesh (except meteor iron and such)

So that's that, I have read a lot about the scandinvian gods also and know the mythology pretty well, and I have allways thought about one thing: How do you see Asa's and Vani's? As it has been thought that Vani's are of older scandinavian traditions and the germanic Asa's appeared later on when the viking society was formed.

As myself I cannot say a thing about the scandinavian gods (As I'm not worshipping them myself) but there's a similar thing in Finland, as there are many pagan gods here also. Here are the Iron- and bronze aged gods (like thundergod Ukko) But there are also older gods that have been around from the stone age (at least) for example: Väinämöinen and Ilmarinen.. And somehow I see that the newer gods appear more often in the world today, but the older gods are allways present on a somehow deeper presence and are more in my heart.

Yes, I understand completely. In a place where the god has had its origin, their power and presence is going to be stronger, but they can still act from any point in the world. Hmm....I think that in the end, I agree. I have felt similarly, it's just that here's the thing: A god is something which, in the end, is completely beyond mortal comprehension. They are capable of doing anything we can imagine and more, so to us it should seem that they could affect any part of the world equally. However, I suppose that in their place of origin, their presence would be more prominent, and their actions then, would be more powerful.

Yes, our beliefs are very similar. I would say even uncannily so. Yes, the mother has given birth to all creatures and things, and yes, all things have a soul, even rocks and pebbles. It's just that their mentallity exists on a different level of conciousness and the wisdom of the stones can only be sought in certain ways. The mother has wraught the stones for us, and we adapt them into the runes. Ah...runes, they are everywhere that you look you know. Their shapes are all over nature, and can make up the fabric of our universe, if you believe in such things

Well, I call them the Aesir and the Vanir, and how do I see them? I don't think I understand your question. You seem to be looking at them from a historical viewpoint. I guess from a historical viewpoint, it's all the same if it's a documented case. But, see them as they are presented in the mythology; two groups of gods that went to war, eventually came together, unifying and causing the formation of the modern Norse pantheon.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

24.11.2008 - 13:20
BornOfWilderness
Account deleted
As for the runes part: I haven't really had that much time reading about them and so I cannot give a good answer to your unasked question about them..

And you maybe got me little wrong on the last part. As of, I think that my spiritual heritage is a strong bond, that dates all the way back to prehistoric times, and as my ancestor's spirits are in a way one with me, I feel their way of thinking all the time. And the gods of ancient times, some are older to the knowing of my ancestors and some newer, I feel the nature of their excistance differently. For example to me, the latter gods are clearly more active, more warlike, than the older gods.
So my question really was, that do you feel there to be some clear difference in the nature of the Vanir and Aesir.?
25.11.2008 - 04:14
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by [user id=33299] on 24.11.2008 at 13:20

As for the runes part: I haven't really had that much time reading about them and so I cannot give a good answer to your unasked question about them..

And you maybe got me little wrong on the last part. As of, I think that my spiritual heritage is a strong bond, that dates all the way back to prehistoric times, and as my ancestor's spirits are in a way one with me, I feel their way of thinking all the time. And the gods of ancient times, some are older to the knowing of my ancestors and some newer, I feel the nature of their excistance differently. For example to me, the latter gods are clearly more active, more warlike, than the older gods.
So my question really was, that do you feel there to be some clear difference in the nature of the Vanir and Aesir.?

Well, yes, most definitly. The Aesir are generally more warlike, and more agressive. They are generally more active in the affairs of man and more likely to cause conflict. The Vanir are in general more peacelike, they are more about fertility and I would say that over all they're more earthy.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

25.11.2008 - 14:16
BornOfWilderness
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 25.11.2008 at 04:14

Written by [user id=33299] on 24.11.2008 at 13:20

Well, yes, most definitly. The Aesir are generally more warlike, and more agressive. They are generally more active in the affairs of man and more likely to cause conflict. The Vanir are in general more peacelike, they are more about fertility and I would say that over all they're more earthy.

Ok, this is pretty much what I was going after..
26.11.2008 - 07:30
laid2rest
Account deleted
@Arian Totalis - You said you're an athiest yet believe in a higher power. I think you mean you're agnostic. An athiest believes that there is no spirit, higher power, or anything of the sort. An agnostic believes that there is a higher power, but doesn't necessarilly believe in God or any orginized religion. And I know there can be people who discriminate in people for their beliefs. But trust me, there are plenty of Christians (me included) who don't do that kinda shit. And those who do, are acting against their faith so that's kinda sad.
27.11.2008 - 04:52
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by [user id=36088] on 26.11.2008 at 07:30

@Arian Totalis - You said you're an athiest yet believe in a higher power. I think you mean you're agnostic. An athiest believes that there is no spirit, higher power, or anything of the sort. An agnostic believes that there is a higher power, but doesn't necessarilly believe in God or any orginized religion. And I know there can be people who discriminate in people for their beliefs. But trust me, there are plenty of Christians (me included) who don't do that kinda shit. And those who do, are acting against their faith so that's kinda sad.

Dude, tell me where I said I was an atheist....people here know better. I understand that there are alot of good christians. Some of the best people in my life are christian, but pagan descrimination is something that I've tried to point out in this thread. I'm the one that started it, for the gods sake.

Sorry if I sounded like a dick dude, but read my posts better
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

27.11.2008 - 05:38
laid2rest
Account deleted
Written by Arian Totalis on 27.11.2008 at 04:52

Written by [user id=36088] on 26.11.2008 at 07:30

Dude, tell me where I said I was an atheist....people here know better. I understand that there are alot of good christians. Some of the best people in my life are christian, but pagan descrimination is something that I've tried to point out in this thread. I'm the one that started it, for the gods sake.

Sorry if I sounded like a dick dude, but read my posts better

Shit. Sorry, dude. You were quoting someone who said that. My bad.
02.12.2008 - 10:04
terrormachine
Account deleted
I am an Atheist through and through, but I have become so in love with partaking in the traditions of others, whether they be religious or not.

Some time ago, I dated a follower of Asatru. He knew that I did not believe in a god, and he never invited me to any events or gatherings. Though he practiced mostly on his own, he was part of a very small Kindred.

I wonder if he never invited me, because he knew I could not believe, or if I was not welcome. Unfortunately, he passed away, and I cannot ask him now.
03.12.2008 - 03:41
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by [user id=36189] on 02.12.2008 at 10:04

I wonder if he never invited me, because he knew I could not believe, or if I was not welcome. Unfortunately, he passed away, and I cannot ask him now.

It would really depend. Some pagans require sacred rites and initiation before an outsider could be invited into the circle. Others are more welcoming and eager to teach to just the general populace. Some people, are just generally uncomfertable or afraid of showing people their religious practices, for fear of Bias or judgment. It all depends on the individual, their religion, and the traditions held in their religious or spiritual circles.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

09.01.2009 - 09:26
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by [user id=24216] on 05.01.2009 at 16:03

Apologies if this is kind of advetising, but there is a new web community now up for Heathens, Asatruars, Odinists called http://www.heathenplaces.com and it is great for connecting to people with the same views and beliefs.
Theres groups, forums, blogs and more, check it out if you want

Thanks for this. I just set up an account and I'll be sure to check it out. My user name is Arian-Totalis. It's a cool idea but Social Networking websites really isn't my thing. Maybe I'll have a run with it though
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

27.02.2009 - 23:44
jd-inflames
Account deleted
I consider myself pagan. I normally don't go too deep into my beliefs with others, just to kind of keep people from badgering me about it. Not that I am ashamed of it, I just avoid the questions. I have several friends and a few family members who hold the same beliefs I do, and I talk with them about it, but that's really about it.
01.03.2009 - 08:52
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by [user id=39721] on 27.02.2009 at 23:44

I consider myself pagan. I normally don't go too deep into my beliefs with others, just to kind of keep people from badgering me about it. Not that I am ashamed of it, I just avoid the questions. I have several friends and a few family members who hold the same beliefs I do, and I talk with them about it, but that's really about it.

Would you mind sharing what kind of pagan you are? Like, Odinist, Hindu, Wiccan, etc?
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

09.03.2009 - 23:49
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Over the past couple of years I have experienced an immense spiritual power coming from Germanic Paganism. Although "Christians" and "Pagans" in recent times have been opposed to each other, I find it remarkable just how much they have in common. Can anyone draw me any parallels between old testament prophecies and those of paganism? I found the latest Amon Amarth album to be very spiritual and also in a symbolic sense very relative to Christianity...again not what churches have done post-Christ. Post-33ad Churches are what paganism has always been opposed to...but never before Christians invaded.

What is truly remarkable is that Pagans never fought over religion. Although there were wars etc. they never tried to force their beliefs on anyone else for personal gain. Perhaps they are "better christians" than christians themselves. I would love for someone to really give a synopsis of Germanic Paganism...more the fundamental beliefs than the actual stories.

Also, the lost tribes wandered north after Nebuchadnezzar conquered Jerusalem around 600BC. Could the people of the Northern Lands be these tribes? It is interesting that the during their northern travels, the lost tribes came across other pagan cultures...which is why God had scattered them and allowed them to be led to captivity in the first place. So, could the Norse stories in reality be a mixture of Pagan history from other Lands and Judeo/Christianity.

The reason why I limit this to Norse Paganism is because I have never felt anything spiritual from other Pagan Cultures that I have studied such as the Romans...etc. There seems something different about the Norse Gods, however, It could be because my ancestors are from these areas. Thoughts?
----
Brujerizmo!
10.03.2009 - 08:35
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Konrad on 09.03.2009 at 23:49

Over the past couple of years I have experienced an immense spiritual power coming from Germanic Paganism. Although "Christians" and "Pagans" in recent times have been opposed to each other, I find it remarkable just how much they have in common. Can anyone draw me any parallels between old testament prophecies and those of paganism? I found the latest Amon Amarth album to be very spiritual and also in a symbolic sense very relative to Christianity...again not what churches have done post-Christ. Post-33ad Churches are what paganism has always been opposed to...but never before Christians invaded.

What is truly remarkable is that Pagans never fought over religion. Although there were wars etc. they never tried to force their beliefs on anyone else for personal gain. Perhaps they are "better christians" than christians themselves. I would love for someone to really give a synopsis of Germanic Paganism...more the fundamental beliefs than the actual stories.

Also, the lost tribes wandered north after Nebuchadnezzar conquered Jerusalem around 600BC. Could the people of the Northern Lands be these tribes? It is interesting that the during their northern travels, the lost tribes came across other pagan cultures...which is why God had scattered them and allowed them to be led to captivity in the first place. So, could the Norse stories in reality be a mixture of Pagan history from other Lands and Judeo/Christianity.

The reason why I limit this to Norse Paganism is because I have never felt anything spiritual from other Pagan Cultures that I have studied such as the Romans...etc. There seems something different about the Norse Gods, however, It could be because my ancestors are from these areas. Thoughts?

Indeed, when we do open up, we do share the sentiment of our ancestor And yes, that is one thing that i'm proud of; pagans never killed eachother in masses over religion. I think the problem therein with religious war is that it is organized and intertwined with politics. When two countries ideas of what is correct religiously clash, chances are there is political agenda and they're just exploiting the beliefs of their own people to achive that agenda.

As for the synopsis of Norse belief (IE the structural system)
In the ways of the Norse religion, combat and opposing forces is seen as something not neceserilly horrible. It was in fact, seen as a holy thing. There were virtues and bonuses to combat. When two armies clashed, more Warriors will have died, making more space for the next generation. It was believed that the spirits of these men would Join in the Halls of the brave; Valhalla. In combat, you can find honor, and you can find wit, and in all the surounding chaos, you can actually find order. What is more, combat never ends. Even when man wages no war upon itself, wars still happen with the ants and the bees, with Animals fighting over territory, how plants kill eachother over root space. It creates a balance to existence.

However, combat itself was not considered the holiest of elements. It was believed, that if a man went to Valhalla, he must be a warrior. and if one wanted to be a warrior, he must be honorable. Thus the main dictation of your life is driven by a personal code which may vary from person to person, but in the end it all translates the same; always do what is righteous. In every day life, if a man moves himself with honor, then the world would be abetter and more respectable place, thus, honor was the highest goal to maintain in germanic (norse) paganism.

Norse Pagans also believed in respectful treatment of ones neighbors and fellow countrymen. Courtesy and decency believe it or not was something essential to the life of a Norse follower. Especially those who were higher ranking. (to someone less priveleged, it may not be so stringent, as royalty must live every second of the day based on tradition).

You just wanted behavior right? Off the top of my head, that is all that I can think of.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

10.03.2009 - 17:49
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite

What is truly remarkable is that Pagans never fought over religion.

Really? Do you have some data to support this?
----
(space for rent)
10.03.2009 - 17:50
totaliteraliter
What is truly remarkable is that Pagans never fought over religion. Although there were wars etc. they never tried to force their beliefs on anyone else for personal gain.

Written by Arian Totalis on 10.03.2009 at 08:35
And yes, that is one thing that i'm proud of; pagans never killed eachother in masses over religion.

"Never" is a strong word, and as far as I know quite false. Read up on the so-called "Bacchanalia incident" of 186 BCE, where pagan Romans executed thousands of followers of the foreign cult and banned most forms of Bacchic worship. That's just the first example that comes to mind.
11.03.2009 - 01:15
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by totaliteraliter on 10.03.2009 at 17:50

What is truly remarkable is that Pagans never fought over religion. Although there were wars etc. they never tried to force their beliefs on anyone else for personal gain.

Written by Arian Totalis on 10.03.2009 at 08:35
And yes, that is one thing that i'm proud of; pagans never killed eachother in masses over religion.

"Never" is a strong word, and as far as I know quite false. Read up on the so-called "Bacchanalia incident" of 186 BCE, where pagan Romans executed thousands of followers of the foreign cult and banned most forms of Bacchic worship. That's just the first example that comes to mind.

If my memory calls correctly, the romans didn't kill others for believing differently, they just asked that tribute was shown to their patron deities. Maybe a little imposing, but certainly not murder. However, if you could provide a link to this incident, I would find it interesting. I had never heard of anything like that but it'd be great if you could show me.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

11.03.2009 - 01:52
totaliteraliter
Written by Arian Totalis on 11.03.2009 at 01:15
If my memory calls correctly, the romans didn't kill others for believing differently, they just asked that tribute was shown to their patron deities. Maybe a little imposing, but certainly not murder. However, if you could provide a link to this incident, I would find it interesting. I had never heard of anything like that but it'd be great if you could show me.

Livy, Book XXXIX, on the fate of those found guilty of participating in Bacchic worship:
Those who had simply been initiated, who, that is, had repeated after the priest the prescribed form of imprecation which pledged them to every form of wickedness and impurity, but had not been either active or passive participants in any of the proceedings to which their oath bound them, were detained in prison. Those who had polluted themselves by outrage and murder, those who had stained themselves by giving false evidence, forging seals and wills and by other fraudulent practices, were sentenced to death. The number of those executed exceeded the number of those sentenced to imprisonment; there was an enormous number of men as well as women in both classes. The women who had been found guilty were handed over to their relatives or guardians to be dealt with privately; if there was no one capable of inflicting punishment, they were executed publicly. The next task awaiting the consuls was the destruction of all the Bacchanalian shrines, beginning with Rome, and then throughout the length and breadth of Italy; those only excepted where there was an ancient altar or a sacred image. The senate decreed that for the future there should be no Bacchanalian rites in Rome or in Italy. If any one considered that this form of worship was a necessary obligation and that he could not dispense with it without incurring the guilt of irreligion, he was to make a declaration before the City praetor and the praetor was to consult the senate. If the senate gave permission, not less than one hundred senators being present, he might observe those rites on condition that not more than five persons took part in the service, that they had no common fund, and that there was no priest or conductor of the ceremonies.
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/txt/ah/Livy/Livy39.html

There's plenty of conflict between pagans historically, such as the persecution of foreign religions (Buddhism, Zoroastrianism, Manichaeism) under pro-Confucian/Taoist Emperor Wuzong in China. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Anti-Buddhist_Persecution

Also the Aztecs, who waged war with the purpose of obtaining victims for human sacrifice in mind.