Metal Storm logo
Bands you discovered at concerts

Original post

Posted by Warman, 06.08.2008 - 21:34
Please stop me if there's a similar thread.

Yeah, so we have already talked about bands we discovered here at Metal Storm. But what about great bands you first heard at a concert? An opening band or maybe even the headliners (if you by any chance just came for the openers).

For me, the most important surely is Deathstars. I was at the Cradle of Filth concert in Gothenburg and Deathstars were the opening band. I had only heard Cyanide before that, and didn't really listen to it. Why should I have? They looked so damn emo and I instantly thought "not another Marilyn Manson band". But at the concert the band blew me away already with the first song, Tounges. I thought it was so damn good, but felt a little ashamed since all the small girls (typical "emo-fjortisar" as we call them here in Sweden) knew all the lyrics. So I took a look at my friend and saw him moving his head to the music. So I carefully said: "This is kinda good". And he thought so too. When "Play God" came I knew I just had to buy the album ASAP! Good thing I did, today I hold Termination Bliss among my favourites.

What more do we have? Evile at the Megadeth concert were awesome, but I rather complete my Slayer discography first. Mastodon and One Man Army & the Undead Quartet are also great bands I discovered at concerts. The most important after Deathstars is certainly Sepultura at an In Flames show. I had just heard some bad samples from them and thought they sucked. But when they opened up with Refuse/Resist I knew that it was a band for me. Especially since I really recognized the song but couldn't figure out where I had heard it before. Very annoying, I could hum along to the whole song. After a while I realised that Apocalyptica had made a cover of it.
03.10.2008 - 01:45
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
hmm I can't really remember much. In a lot of cases, I check out the band before they play, but the bands that I can think of that I knew pretty much nothing about that impressed me are Warbringer, HMP, Bestial Incarnation, Severed Savior, Desolation, Embryonic Devourment, Suicide Silence, Witchburn, Wild Orchid Children, and maybe one or two more.

It's really strange when one second no one knows anything about a band, and then their popularity shoots up overnight because of a certain tour, and you begin seeing their albums in mainstream CD stores. Take Warbringer and Suicide Silence for example...
03.10.2008 - 02:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 03.10.2008 at 01:45

hmm I can't really remember much. In a lot of cases, I check out the band before they play, but the bands that I can think of that I knew pretty much nothing about that impressed me are Warbringer, HMP, Bestial Incarnation, Severed Savior, Desolation, Embryonic Devourment, Suicide Silence, Witchburn, Wild Orchid Children, and maybe one or two more.

It's really strange when one second no one knows anything about a band, and then their popularity shoots up overnight because of a certain tour, and you begin seeing their albums in mainstream CD stores. Take Warbringer and Suicide Silence for example...

I dunno when you saw Warbringer but their name have been quite big to huge general metal circles ever since they released One By One, The Wicked Fall in 2006 and in thrash cricles already when they released their first demo in 2004. But maybe you mean the mainstream noticing them ever since they got signed by Century Media.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.10.2008 - 02:03
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Yeah, I did mean the mainstream. I saw their album at FYE a couple months after I saw them live, and they were only the second band of the night!

BTW, I'm seeing them again on Monday
03.10.2008 - 02:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 03.10.2008 at 02:03

BTW, I'm seeing them again on Monday

aah nice, they're not a bad proposition to se and thrash out to with about 10 litres of beer in one's system.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.10.2008 - 18:09
Anathemani@c
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.10.2008 at 01:10

Written by Anathemani@c on 03.10.2008 at 00:20

I discovered Ektomorf in a show with Kreator. I got blown away with the energy they achieved in the show! It was great!

You mean that Hungarian Soulfly rip-off?

Exactly... But I can assure you that they were great on stage.. But in general, they are nothing.. You dont have to look at them... It was a good opening act for Kreator though
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
05.10.2008 - 02:20
Extremesyko420
Account deleted
I discovered this band Blatant Disarray at an Anthrax concert a few years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNDaUPWWX1k
07.10.2008 - 23:54
Pucis
Disavouved was my surprise, and estonian horricane aswel
08.10.2008 - 00:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Faal was the one for me, they opened for Officium Triste when OR was having their try-out with their new drummer Ronald.
Faal, although I knew they had a bit of experience in them, blew me totally away with their extreme doom.
Last Saturday I saw them again and once again they blew me away.

Great extreme doom metal, cehck out their myspace site for two songs.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.10.2008 - 14:19
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Dangerboner on 03.10.2008 at 01:45

wtf? i thought you just get subhumanly drunk at concerts

on a more serious note, though i never really discovered bands at gigs, it's more like "hey this band sounds decent enough.." but i did like some Primal Fear when they came over here, most notably the song "Metal Is Forever" and of course the fact that the vocalist sounds like Ripper.
10.10.2008 - 21:37
Knightrider
The Sorcerer
I discovered Domine last year in Venice when they were playing on some festival with Slayer and Iron Maiden.
21.10.2008 - 14:33
Yossarian
Hi all,

I will mention just two: Misery loves Company at a concert covering Machine Head first tour around 1994 and ETHS in a great festival with Machine head again and Metallica around last June 2008. Both in Spain.

Their performances were so clean, so brutish and generally so great that I simply could not help trying to acquire their albums later.
15.11.2008 - 22:00
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Discovered Nevermore at a concert I only attended to see their opening act Mercenary. That day changed my life forever
----
16.11.2008 - 12:34
I have dicovered evile and sanctity as supports and they are two of my fav bands.....i found sanctity at trivium and when i went to see sanctitiy i saw evile with them so yeah that worked out well haha
16.11.2008 - 12:57
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Well, these bands I was fully aware of before I saw them, but seeing them live really got me into them (for the most part totally reversed my opinions on them).

DevilDriver
The first time I heard these guys on CD I hated it! Then I saw them opening for Opeth and they had a lot of energy on stage, managed to start the biggest mosh pit of the night, and performed incredibly. Im still not as into them on record as I am live, but I don't mind popping in an album of theres every now and then for a short period of time, but the day they release a live album I'll be the first in line.

3 Inches Of Blood
Here is another band I hated when I first heard them. I couldn't stand the metalcore influences in their music at all, and I couldn't understand why metalheads with otherwise great tastes could like this band. Then I saw them perform at monsters of rock, other than the headliners, them, along with Cavalera Conspiracy and Testament were the highlight of the festival. So I bought one of their albums (Fire Up The Blades), and I loved it, I started growing accustomed to (even began to enjoy) the metalcore sounds in their music and realized this band is more based off of a classic heavy metal sound than metalcore. So I decided to pick up another album of theirs (Advance And Vanquish) and it was even better! I then went to a show of theres and was pleased with the performance, so I bought a tour tshirt (which came with 3 Inches Of Blood matches for some reason?). Tomorrow I plan on buying their first album, just to finish off the collection. I'm probably going to add them into my top favorite bands pretty soon the amoutn I've been listening to them lately (if anyone has been noticing around here my interest in them has been greatly increasing lately).

Watain
When I first listened to these guys on myspace, I liked them, but at the same time they sounded like generic BM to me. Then I saw them with Cephalic Carnage, man they had stage presence coming out of the wazoo. The vocal effects just enhanced the stage presence even further. It was the first time I saw a band where the band actually scared me a wee bit. Now I like them and I do plan on getting "Sworn To The Dark" eventually....just not on my top priority list at the moment.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.11.2008 - 10:22
Eeric
Account deleted
MyGrain was warming up for Kiuas and it was awesome at live, but when I heard Mygrain from cd, It SUCKED.

Soulfallen is awesome dark metal band. I just went to a bar15 at Seinäjoki and the evening sucked, I was driving so no booze for me, I was tired just wanted to go to sleep, and I thought there's gonna be another fucking wanna-be-pantera-band playing there, but there was Soulfallen which made me drop my jaws on the floor.
26.05.2009 - 01:45
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Sabaton, they were opening for Grave Digger/Therion tour back in 2007. I loved it after 25 seconds of first song (Panzer Battalion).
Orphaned Land - Opened for Paradise Lost in 2005.
Machine Men - Sonata Arctica opener in september 2005.
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
26.05.2009 - 03:35
Galar
Wicked Mung
Mantic Ritual-Opened for Destruction this year in Worcester MA at the palladium...wicked cool guys, smoked 'em down
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
07.07.2009 - 18:12
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
High on Fire

Opened up for Opeth
----
rekt
07.07.2009 - 18:19
Biedrik
I saw Into Eternity open for Iced Earth, and they put on a great show. The pit wasn't huge, but there was a ridiculous amount of crowdsurfing. I had a ton of fun, and when I got home I checked out a few of their songs. I've been a fan ever since.
----
I'm selling metal posters! Ask me about them if you're interested.
25.07.2009 - 16:05
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I remember Falchion...never heard about them before, but i really liked their performance on Finnish Fire Tour (Korpiklaani, Battlelore, Kivimetsan Druidi) last year
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

25.07.2009 - 23:42
Saitenhexerin
Apocalyptica:
It's been 3 years now that I saw them live, and before I was just thinking "Oh my god, that name sounds so...goth..." but when I stodd there and they played all those great stuff of their own and the metallica covers, it was just amazing!

Trivium:
This one funny...because I watched them from afar....and I was just thinking "What the Hell?! These are just kids at my age!" got me another beer and walked closer. And then I almost was blewn away by their force. I really liked that, although I wasn't into screamed vocals at that time. And i was absolutley astounded by how they play their instruments and how flawlessly they played.
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
01.08.2009 - 17:37
JAGEagent
Skyclad. However I must say that with their new singer, they aren't that great really. Still, they put on a good show at the concert.
01.12.2009 - 18:34
Angel Of Mercy
Testament and Turisas.
----
Your time will come.
02.12.2009 - 00:48
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I've heard about people discovering bands at a Testament show but never about discovering Testament themselves at some other bands show...

I discovered Three at a Porcupine Tree show...
02.12.2009 - 01:18
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Panychida...czech pagan folk metal...they were supporting Turisas and Norther last year
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

02.12.2009 - 01:27
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Doc G. on 16.11.2008 at 12:57

Watain
When I first listened to these guys on myspace, I liked them, but at the same time they sounded like generic BM to me. Then I saw them with Cephalic Carnage, man they had stage presence coming out of the wazoo. The vocal effects just enhanced the stage presence even further. It was the first time I saw a band where the band actually scared me a wee bit. Now I like them and I do plan on getting "Sworn To The Dark" eventually....just not on my top priority list at the moment.

I guess I should mention them too. I didn't discover them at the actual concert (Kreator and Celtic Frost), but when I saw that they were a part of the tour I bought "Rabid Death's Curse" and fell in love with the band. So it was still thanks to the show. And yes, they are amazing live!
----
07.12.2009 - 15:02
SerratedSyringe
Goatwhore:
some of my friends at school were talking about them, but I never actually listened to them. I heard they were touring with the Berzerker and Obituary, so I figured I would check them out at the show. They were great, probably my favorite live band. I saw them again with Municipal Waste the next month.

Fractured Fairytales:
I went to a show at the local bar, I figured it was just going to be a bunch of raunchy industrial/fetish bands, and for the most part it was, but the second band of the night, Fractured Fairytales really impressed me. They play an interesting blend of industrial-goth metal, with death metal influences. My only knit-pick is that they don't have a live drummer. They are completely self run though, no record label or anything. Their singer was really cool. He started talking to me after the show because I was the only one headbanging!
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
14.12.2009 - 20:34
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Well I never really cared about hearing Hypocrisy, always knew about them but the first time I really heard them was in 2005 in Holland. Just after "Virus" was released so obviously the entire set was freekin amazing and I was like "Why the HELL didnt I check them out earlier??"

Pity though...because it was my first time in Holland and I was absolutely STONED OUT OF MY MIND while they were playing, so I cant remember all the good stuff of their set haha
15.12.2009 - 02:36
DoomGuard
Satyricon, I saw them live opening for Cradle of Filth, went home, bought their shit immediately, fantastic band
15.12.2009 - 03:42
divortium
I actually had never really listened to Judas Priest until I saw them with Motorhead and Sabbath... They're now one of my favourite bands, and possibly the second-best show I've ever seen (after Opeth).
----
Stop him in his tracks, show him that I am ruthless...