Metal Storm logo
Do you like Metallica's new album "Death Magnetic"?

Original post

Posted by Savage Messiah, 15.09.2008 - 06:07
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd create a thread so we can clearly see everyone's reaction to Metallica's new album!
Please give a reason for your answer, - let's keep this thread intelligent.

When I first heard Cyanide and The Day That Never Comes, I thought something along the lines of "wtf". Then I bought the album and listened to the entire thing in the car on my way to work.
IMO this album is good in its entirety, I enjoyed listening to the entire album, it would seem that the songs sound better in the context of the entire album, rather than by themselves.

In future (if they make another album) I would like to see some more aggressive vocal work from James, an updated knowledge of drum techniques and solos from Lars, perhaps a solo from Rob and a few solos that have actual FEELING from Kirk.

As I said, in its entirety this album makes for a good listen, so I give it the thumbs up.
I think that if Metallica create another album, it will be better. I see this album as a milestone towards their old metal-selves.

Poll

Do you like Metallica's new album "Death Magnetic"?

Yeah it's alright.
Yes, it's awesome!
Not really, no.
Absolutely hated it.
Haven't heard it yet.
Still making my mind up.

Total votes: 243
17.09.2008 - 21:59
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
compared to new Metallica, i'd give it 9 but compared to old Metallica it's 7...the average: 8
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
18.09.2008 - 01:54
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Yay, an excuse to post even though everyone already knows my opinion about this album and it's already been talked about to death...

I think the new Metallica album is the best one since ...And Justice For All...after that, Metallica started to become more mid-paced, whatever..Rick Rubin really does good at getting Metallica back to the sound they had before the Black Album but even though it isn't up to par with what they did in the 80s, who the fuck cares?!
18.09.2008 - 07:02
Metal Freak
Written by [user id=2084] on 18.09.2008 at 01:54

I think the new Metallica album is the best one since ...And Justice For All...after that, Metallica started to become more mid-paced, whatever..Rick Rubin really does good at getting Metallica back to the sound they had before the Black Album but even though it isn't up to par with what they did in the 80s, who the fuck cares?!

Ditto all the way. It's not up to par with their early classics, but it kicks the crap out of their recent albums. It's a good album but no masterpiece. Had it been released after Justice, I would have been disappointed. However, coming off of St. Anger, "good" is good enough for me and more than I expected. My only complaints: the mediocre production, the dull drumming, and the juvenile lyrics (which sound like something a 15-year-old denim-clad skater would write...which I guess is a good thing for some, particulary 15-year-old denim-clad skaters).

Also, I think that the return to their "old school" sound has been overstated. I hear influences from every Metallica album including their new ones. Justice is the most obvious point of reference, but I hear Lightning, Puppets, St. Anger, Black, Load, etc. on there. There's Lightning-styled guitar harmonies, Justice and St. Anger influenced structures, occasional bluesy Load-inflected riffs, some Black album choruses, etc. So, it's not their best album, but in many ways I would consider it their most definitive album (I'm bracing for the backlash to that statement).

I rated it an 8. I'm strict with my ratings (average: 5.56), so that's saying something. However, I would put it into the "not for everyone" category. And the production, though better than St. Anger's production, needs serious work. However, for the first time in years, I can say that Metallica has released an album that actually sounds like a Metallica album.
----
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things, but for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."
--Steven Weinberg
18.09.2008 - 11:30
Walter Iego
Author
Elite
I think it is OK; it sounds raw and tough, although with a mellow touch somehow. Many people are complaining about the quality of the recording when I think they should
focus on the music itself. The album should be called "Master Of Justice Load Kill Death Magnetic"... It is all of those albums combined, still a good effort...
19.09.2008 - 10:17
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by AiwiAstwihad on 17.09.2008 at 21:59

compared to new Metallica, i'd give it 9 but compared to old Metallica it's 7...the average: 8

this is what im really against it! u have to compare it to new thrash albums not to old or new tallica. u cant compare it to tallica's hard rock or nu metal songs! and u cant compare mtallica with their classic albums its unfair
19.09.2008 - 10:39
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=31891] on 19.09.2008 at 10:17

this is what im really against it! u have to compare it to new thrash albums not to old or new tallica. u cant compare it to tallica's hard rock or nu metal songs! and u cant compare mtallica with their classic albums its unfair

of course you can compare death magnetic to their other stuff. it's the same band ffs. what are you talking about?
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.

19.09.2008 - 10:52
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 19.09.2008 at 10:39

Written by [user id=31891] on 19.09.2008 at 10:17

of course you can compare death magnetic to their other stuff. it's the same band ffs. what are you talking about?

everyone has his/her opinion. but i dont think u that u can compare thrash metal with nu-metal or hard rock. and about old stuff i said its unfair and useless. if u like to rate it right u have to compare it with new albums released with other bands. but everyone can do what they want, i didnt say u have to accept my words.
19.09.2008 - 12:33
owl
I voted for the "it's allright" option.

It's definitely not awesome, but it's listenable - unlike St. Anger.

Because I wasn't hoping for a masterwork I can't say I was disappointed with Death Magnetic. I like "All Nightmare Long" and I'm starting to be fed up about "The Day...", because it's on the radio too many times a day and it's really not that great. : If I wanted to listen to something similar to One and Fade to Black... Hell, I'd go and listen to the originals, not to a poor attempt to copy them.

Aaaanyway... Metallica are on the right track with this one.
I'll be hoping that the next album will finally bring them to where we got used to see them in the past: Metal excellency.
----
20.09.2008 - 03:27
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
Do I like it? Yes.

This album is worth it for a lot of reasons-- one being just to appreciate how far they've bounced back since St. Wanker...
20.09.2008 - 03:35
Demonmayonnaise
@ Wack Job. Good thing we dont have to accept your words, because you speak nothing but nonsense. If you want to compare DM to lets say Testaments new album, DM loses horribly. First off, Chuck Billy's vocals are aggresive, James' are not. Pauls drumming is kick ass, Lars' sucks ass. Alex Skolnick and Eric Peterson pull off some pretty cool leads and riffs, Kirk and James dont. Should I go on with modern Thrash albums that slay this one? I think War Without End is better than this one, and its a debut for fucks sakes man. You need to pop the metallicock out of your mouth and start speaking clearly.
20.09.2008 - 04:02
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I wouldn't say that the lyrics sound like they were written by some 15-year-old skater kid...they actually sound mature enough...but, wasn't that the reaction of people about St. Anger?...it doesn't sound as raw and dull as St. Anger either...I do agree though that it doesn't hold a candle to other thrash metal band comebacks...
20.09.2008 - 04:15
accursed
Account deleted
Here is my opinion on death magnetic... Yes! Yes! Yes! ooooh ooooh yes! yes! yes! OOOOOH! ........ In other words, death magnetic fucking RULES!
20.09.2008 - 15:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I laugh at the fact that this thread is in "General Metal Forum"...
Since when was this album and band so important after their shitty St. Anger?

Anyway... is unnecesary to bitch about that... SAbout the poll. The album is not bad, but nothing with a wooow-effect.
They did something better than the last 3 albums but that's not so special tbh.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass

Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

20.09.2008 - 23:39
accursed
Account deleted
.I have a rule. If the metal album is great then i praise it. I will always be a little pissed at metallica for doing what they did the last 17 years, but death magnetic rules!
21.09.2008 - 18:20
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
metallica is especial enough.
26.09.2008 - 06:48
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by [user id=31891] on 21.09.2008 at 18:20

I failed to understand your post. Special in a good or bad way?
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
26.09.2008 - 15:04
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 26.09.2008 at 06:48

did u ever read my posts?!!!!
26.09.2008 - 18:55
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by [user id=31891] on 26.09.2008 at 15:04

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 26.09.2008 at 06:48

did u ever read my posts?!!!!

I hadn't
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
26.09.2008 - 19:48
accursed
Account deleted
.I will say it again, death magnetic is 9.5 out of 10. This album is great. This album is vintage metallica.
26.09.2008 - 21:49
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
When I listened to it all the way through first time I wasn't really sure. I've never really been super keen on Metallica, but I approached it with an open mind...

First I thought it was a bit boring, no song really stood out, but after a few listens it's a bit more amiable to me so atm I'm not really sure, but I'm warming to it.
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
27.09.2008 - 11:20
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Necrogeddon on 26.09.2008 at 21:49

When I listened to it all the way through first time I wasn't really sure. I've never really been super keen on Metallica, but I approached it with an open mind...

First I thought it was a bit boring, no song really stood out, but after a few listens it's a bit more amiable to me so atm I'm not really sure, but I'm warming to it.

if u r talkin about DM, the weird thing is, after I listened to it Twice, i had a feeling inside me which wasnt Positive about album! yes! cause I was commin from a journey and i wasnt in a Thrash Metal mood! I found it soon. then i tired to listen to it 2 days later.
(in that time i said to one of my friends that DM, takes me down!! the ppl who think im a metallicafan boy lol pay attention)

but the next time i listened to it, i really enjoyed it and liked so much but, 2 songs, 1.Unforgiven III, 2.Suicide & Redemption.
but after i listened to Suicide & Redemption i liked it so much but there is somthin that i cant say its a super song! and it is metallica's ex Instrumental songs. but its alright.
and about Unforgiven III ! i like to erase it from DM, cause its not DM like! its a song which wouldnt be here at this album. its not medicore too! (just for marcel!!) its a song which deserves 4 or 5 to me.
28.09.2008 - 21:55
IronBlackZepp
Pretty damn good album, I enjoied most of it. Worth buying.
29.09.2008 - 00:49
LethargyMan
Apparently there are a lot of issues with the production. Another victim of the "loudness war", where album's recorded volume is increased at the expense of the dynamic range.

Also, the Guitar Hero version of the album was mixed differently, and the dynamic range is better intact. Here's a comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRyIACDCc1I

So yeah, the Guitar Hero version of the album sounds better.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
29.09.2008 - 06:41
DevilBabi
Thsi album is so ridculously good, it's not funny
03.10.2008 - 17:31
Macedonia
Account deleted
Why someone hates this album. It is really good maybe not as their old stuff but still kick asses.
04.10.2008 - 13:05
Holosade
Account deleted
I had to vote 'Not really' instead of 'I Hated It' because whilst it's not absolutely terrible, it just sounds like a band recycling old ideas.
05.10.2008 - 18:59
Guib
Thrash Talker
I'm still dreaming of the day.. When Metallica would go back
to TRASH METAl...

ah... evil utopia

Death Magnetic sucked ass
I almost puked my guts... while listening to it really
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
05.10.2008 - 21:22
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Guib on 05.10.2008 at 18:59

to TRASH METAl...

ah... evil utopia

i see. looking at the other side, at least DM is alot better than their recent stuff. but yeah, still far from their old stuff...
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
05.10.2008 - 22:41
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by AiwiAstwihad on 05.10.2008 at 21:22

Written by Guib on 05.10.2008 at 18:59

to TRASH METAl...

ah... evil utopia

i see. looking at the other side, at least DM is alot better than their recent stuff. but yeah, still far from their old stuff...

Yeah I Guess.. but you see.. i never liked their new Stuff... I always liked Raw as fuck Metallica..
I always loved the Trash Metal Metallica... Past the black album.. its nothing but shit.. IMO
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
28.10.2008 - 08:23
RockeRoy
I like Death magnetic alot, but i'm a little disapointed with kirks solos, it seems like he just plays some random shit and make the solos up while he record them. The production could be a lot better to, it's way to loud and rob's bass is way to low. other than that i love the album.
it's something spessial with Metallica to me, it's the first band i realy loved and it feels like i know them in a way, and i find much joy in all their albums even St.anger. Metallica takes me back to my Childhood and i have a lot of good memories. I love james voice on this album. he used to sing me to sleep so...
The lyrics on Death Magnetic is great by the way.
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell