Metal Storm logo
Power metal's finest

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 17.05.2006 - 08:22
I put JP in this list because i consider their post painkiller era power metal. And Ms dosnt class IE as Power either, but i think IE could easily be classed as Power/Thrash at times. Anyway cast your vote for the gods of power metal.

Its a very hard decision, but i will vote for Nightwish, the early era was fantastic, though the same cant be said for recent times.

Poll

which is your favorite?

Blind Guardian
Sonata Actrica
Kamelot
Nightwish
Helloween
Iced Earth
Stratovarius
Judas Priest (1990-2005)
Manowar

Total votes: 221
19.05.2006 - 01:01
__Az__
Iced Earth... however, Blind Guardian come a close 2nd.... Both great bands... However, the best bits of both are even better.... The result of this is Demons & Wizards.
20.05.2006 - 03:02
danzig111
Account deleted
Kamelot? Ewww, Finest? they're terrible, what are they doing there? And Judas Priest are Heavy Metal not Power Metal!

Anyway my favourite is:

Sonata Arctica out ov those.
20.05.2006 - 04:03
Avenant
Profane Seraph
Blind Guardian without a doubt. I've always thought they were the ultimate Power metal band... although a lot of power metal has grown to bore me, Blind Guardian never have. Although I wonder why Iced Earth is on the list? don't get me wrong, they're a great band, but I've always thought of them as heavy metal, not power
20.05.2006 - 12:44
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Blind Guardian stand apart from other power metal bands. They are the kings for me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
21.05.2006 - 12:39
belgianmetalman
Account deleted
Doh , I voted Stratovarius , and I'm alone
But I stand by my decision, these guys have skills and tend to use them!

My second choice would be Sonata Arctica, I worship them everyday a little more.
21.05.2006 - 14:53
Daru Jericho
I chose Helloween. I think they'll always be my all time favourite power metal band. Varying styles, they don't take themselves too seriously and produce memorable songs.

Judas Priest are good but in between Painkiller and Angel Of Retribution there wasn't much amazing material coming form them.

Still, I'm a fan of all those bands. None of them are rubbish as far as I'm concerned.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

21.05.2006 - 19:01
Baz Anderson
Staff
yay. i knew i could count on my English female companion in metal. haha
i am realyl really shocked that Helloween only have voted from us two!!
it is probably because they are third from the bottom and so dont attract everyones attention streight away
it is also weird because in my poll between Blind Guardian and Helloween - it is currently a draw when here Blind Guardian have eight compared to just the two for Helloween from us
22.05.2006 - 12:01
PRIMAL FEAR
Account deleted
Blind Guardian for me... from their early thrash based power days to recent times, they remain to be brilliant regardless of what some may think, although this is only my opinion
22.05.2006 - 12:22
IceWeasy
Account deleted
Uuuuushhh.

Well, the thing is i love Sonata Arctica and same goes for Helloween... so it's kidna hard to choose u know. But still my vote goes for Sonata Arctica
24.05.2006 - 03:53
Daru Jericho
@Baz: You're right...there really are only 2 Helloween votes, although I must say the competiton is very tough. Still, I thought many people held Helloween in higher regard.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

24.05.2006 - 13:20
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
For me it´s Sonata Arctica. Amazing songs and awesome live performance. Sonata Arctica´s guys are talented musicians and they also know how to have fun and make their audience enjoy the show too. Works for me!
----
You'll never walk alone.
24.05.2006 - 14:20
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by __Az__ on 19.05.2006 at 01:01

Iced Earth... however, Blind Guardian come a close 2nd.... Both great bands... However, the best bits of both are even better.... The result of this is Demons & Wizards.

Hehe...I would say BG first and then IE...but I totally agree with the rest
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
25.05.2006 - 18:16
Baz Anderson
Staff
Daru Jericho: yeh - they probably do looking at my poll i have on here. i think its just like this on here because Helloween arent at the top of the lsit like Blind Guardian are, so it doesnt pop out to people
if Helloween were at the top, they would have more votes
25.05.2006 - 18:43
asis
i say stratovarius, it's the best of those. my favorite power metal bands are gamma ray, edguy and twilightning.. too bad they're not in that list
----
25.05.2006 - 19:06
belgianmetalman
Account deleted
Hahahaaa

Good choice asis ! Now there's two votes on Stratovarius
You have a good taste in power metal too , Edguy, Gamma Ray are awesome
25.05.2006 - 19:16
Horlequism
Account deleted
Wow, this is really a tough decision...I wanna pick Kamelot but I'll go with a band that's just power metal...Stratovarius is a powerful force to be reckoned with in the power metal field...I choose them...

Although I don't agree with danzig111 that Kamelot is terrible, they shouldn't be on that list...
25.05.2006 - 21:41
Demonizer
Normally I would vote for Judas Priest in any topic, but as I don't see them as power metal at all (not even Painkiller)so I'll go for Blind Guardian. Imaginations from the other Side and Tales from the Twilight world are some of my all time fav. albums. Helloween would probably be next, then Iced Earth and then the rest.
28.05.2006 - 02:19
MetalSpider
Kamelot and Iced Earth are tied for 1st...Blind Guardian and Nightwish tied for 2nd and Judas Priest and Sonata for 3rd. Helloween is great as well but I honestly havent really listened to a lot of their work. Manowar is crap imo. Stratovarius...just havent listened to a lot of their work. I voted for Kamelot.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
28.05.2006 - 04:58
asis
Written by [user id=8170] on 25.05.2006 at 19:06

Hahahaaa

Good choice asis ! Now there's two votes on Stratovarius
You have a good taste in power metal too , Edguy, Gamma Ray are awesome

oh yea, i can't believe how is it possible that stratovarius has only gotten so few votes... the last album wasn't THAT good but the older ones are just awesome ..but nothing beats gamma ray in power metal!
----
28.05.2006 - 05:45
Eternal Flames
My vote goes to Iced Earth. I really love all the bands on the list, and it was pretty close between Blind Guardian, Sonata Arctica and Helloween. Although Iced Earth still remain my favourite. They had some of the best albums and Matt Barlow was one of the best vocalists too. Even their earlier albums were great with Greely and Adam.
I'm suprised with some of the voting, although I guess as more people vote, it will become slightly more even between some bands.

I understand that you put Judas Priest in there from your aforementioned consideration of post Painkiller being Power Metal. Although, personally I think that Gamma Ray would gave suited better for the topic discussion as they are one of the pioneers of the genre.
28.05.2006 - 05:58
Surtur
My vote goes to Helloween, I think that some great power metal bands are missing like warmen or kalmah, I just have one question, ¿What the hell is doing Nightwish here? that's not power metal...
----
" And every angel needs a tear to laugh "
29.05.2006 - 16:08
Hyvaarin
If I do end up voting, it'll probably be for Blind Guardian- reasons are obvious haha. Sonata Arctica come pretty close, though. One of the most emotionally evocative bands of the genre, and I've become REALLY attached to 'Silence'.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
31.05.2006 - 14:28
LeDruide
I really like Nightwish, Stratovarius and Sonata Artica, but I choose Kamelot, though tey're now more progressive than Power imo (still the best for me though)
03.06.2006 - 19:45
Gathering Storm
Account deleted
I voted Sonata, though it was a close call between them and Iced Earth.. I voted Sonata because I've heard more of them and I really like the group, the songs, the lyrics, it's like I can't get enough of them...
07.06.2006 - 17:11
bangladesh
I have voted Nightwish but i don´t think this band plays power metal...
08.06.2006 - 10:27
Freezer
Blind Guardian for me, close to them Iced Earth, even if theirs is not "pure" power metal :p
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
11.06.2006 - 19:09
Stratowarrior
my vote is for one of the four "metal" gods: stratovarius and (iron maiden,sonata arctica and helloween) 'cos all their albums 'til elements pt 2 are great and the new one "stratovarius" is not a very good album and that's because mr timo tolkki is writing all the songs and that's because he is losing his touch so i think that should let jens and tk to write more songs but at the end stratovarius are the best followed by helloween and sonata arctica.
----
power metal 'til death!!!!!!!!!
16.06.2006 - 04:49
Logo666
Account deleted
I vote on Judas Priest ,but the Bestest is HammerFall ...
17.06.2006 - 17:40
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Sonata Arctica.

They rule! (They do)

Gotta love Fullmoon.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
17.06.2006 - 18:37
CrematorY
Account deleted
AHHHHHHHHHH comeon guys! doesnt anyone believe in the power of Manowar's music for god's sake? MANOWAR ALLLL THE WAY!