Metal Storm logo
Best Canadian Metal Band

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 28.06.2006 - 09:19
I had created another topic similar to this on the old forum "What Canadian Death Metal Band is best?" but now I have decided I want to create a new thread but more broad. Canada is home to many great metal bands especially in the genre of death metal. What Canadian Metal Band do you think is best and why? What is your favorite album by the band? What do you think of the other Canadian bands? Please refrain from picking other if your choice is Rush because I don't want them included in this pole because I don't consider them metal.

I couldn't chose between two bands so my favorite Canadian Metal bands are Quo Vadis and Devin Townsend. Devin Townsend because they put on a great live show and all of their albums are amazing. My favorite Devin Townsend album is Infinity because it has my favorite song by them "Bad Devil". Quo Vadis because they are the best Technical Death Metal band in my opinion. All of their albums are great but my favorite is Defiant Imagination. Their riffs are amazing and Yanic Berciers drumming is untouchable IMO.

Other Canadian bands that I like are Cryptopsy, Into Eternity, Kataklysm, Strapping Young Lad, and Annihilator.

Poll

What Canadian Band is best?

Annihilator
Other
Strapping Young Lad
Kataklysm
Quo Vadis
Cryptopsy
Into Eternity
Gorguts
Martyr

Total votes: 230
07.07.2006 - 02:33
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
I chose "other" since my favourite Canadian metal band is Akitsa. The quintessential black metal band: high quality musicianship and low quality production

Their instrumental song "Introduction" is one of my favourite all time metal songs. It's so completely mesmerizing. Two guitars eerily transport you to the mystic land of metal.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
08.07.2006 - 14:58
Varoth
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5080] on 03.07.2006 at 07:37

..and never lsitened to Gorguts or Martyr.

I hate Gorguts of nowadays, but their first two albums are excellent, you should really check: "Considered Dead" and "The Erosion Of Sanity". Martyr is great as well. Heard only one album by them, though, but it's really mindblowing: "Hopeless Hopes". From all that I've heard by Cryptic Myth, they didn't turn bad any time later.
08.07.2006 - 16:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
e for other, because from list best band are Quo Vadis, great band, also I like Straping Young Lad, its great Canadian band
But we all shood mention Rush, its not metal, but still great babd and also Woods of Ypres, thansk MS I didcovere them and real like

But also this band Funerary Dirge great Furneal Dom band damn it takes 3 days to dounloud this album ''Memoria In Aeterna''

But someone knows band from Canada ''Zaraza'' doom metal, yaeh and BTW who speek russian thay probobly will lafing when read name of it, for others weell need bnd name translation PM me

Strange Canada are so big country, but not so big doom metal scene. why

More Canadian bands what i prefere are Howling Signy, greta and poetical band, seems thay know a lot of thinks and lyrics, based on literatury, history.
Dead Of Winter, great Canadian BM band
Raping Tears wel try here http://vibrationsofdoom.com/test/test2/RapidTears2.html and http://vibrationsofdoom.com/test/test2/RapidTears.html
Thunder Rider http://www.vibrationsofdoom.com/test/ThunderRider.html BTW thay had newer album from 90ties so thaya er in MySpace, Im lazy to search link

Ok there are olanty of great Canadian BM bands, so I think its not useless say them all because there are a lot of and I had hear only samoples from my space and I cant decidet yet what Canadian BM bands I like

I dont know about Canadfian thrash scene, but in 80ties it was great probobly ozman can say mlore but I prefere band
Savage Steal http://vibrationsofdoom.com/test/test2/SavageSteel.html

What alse Tyalamius are great Viking band in DC++ was album ''As Long As It Flows...'' I dounloud it, because it was so damn fast, dunno why

Thats all Canadian bands what I can mention now hope dont forgot someband
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.07.2006 - 17:11
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Cryptopsy for me. 'None So Vile' and 'Once Was Not' are awsome albums, heard a few tracks off 'Blasphemy Made Flesh' and thats pretty awsome aswell.

My second choice would be Kataklysm, their drummer is a freakin' machine. 'The Mystical Gate Of Reincarnation' 'The Temple Of Knowledge' and 'Shadow And Dust' and killer releases.

Actually now ive just typed about Kataklysm its a big toss up between the two ... grr, well still Cryptopsy
----

Hellcunt Smurf
08.07.2006 - 17:17
Sune
Account deleted
For me you can almost guess what I think I mean, look at my avatar..
08.07.2006 - 17:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=3111] on 08.07.2006 at 17:17

Sorry man but i dont recognise them shood I?
----

08.07.2006 - 17:27
Sune
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 08.07.2006 at 17:24

It is from the cover of 3 Inches of Blood's "Advance and Vanquish", and they're from Canada...But they aren't on this site, so maybe that's why you don't know them? It's pretty old school heavy metal, mixed with some moderne elements here and there.
08.07.2006 - 17:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=3111] on 08.07.2006 at 17:27

Written by Bad English on 08.07.2006 at 17:24

It is from the cover of 3 Inches of Blood's "Advance and Vanquish", and they're from Canada...But they aren't on this site, so maybe that's why you don't know them? It's pretty old school heavy metal, mixed with some moderne elements here and there.

I know this band but I dont like them, I had seen one video ''burning siner'' or something, where end burns this trea, but its not my type of metal
----

08.07.2006 - 17:56
Sune
Account deleted
You mean Deadly Sinners But it's alright, we don't all like the same kind of music, I just think they're the best out of Canada, according to my taste.
08.07.2006 - 18:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=3111] on 08.07.2006 at 17:56

You mean Deadly Sinners But it's alright, we don't all like the same kind of music, I just think they're the best out of Canada, according to my taste.

Yeah I mean that songs, I mix title of Witchfinder General song, man in canada are more bettheruncnow bands how thay.
----

09.07.2006 - 01:54
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by [user id=2416] on 08.07.2006 at 14:58

I hate Gorguts of nowadays, but their first two albums are excellent, you should really check: "Considered Dead" and "The Erosion Of Sanity".

THANK YOU! I totally agree. Anything after those two albums are complete shit. Yeah, they're extemely talented, but they stopped playing together and just did their own thing. Plus, the vocals are so bad I can hardly stand to listen to the music.

Oh, and 3 Inches of Blood rocks
09.07.2006 - 15:27
Varoth
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 09.07.2006 at 01:54

Written by [user id=2416] on 08.07.2006 at 14:58

I hate Gorguts of nowadays, but their first two albums are excellent, you should really check: "Considered Dead" and "The Erosion Of Sanity".

THANK YOU! I totally agree. Anything after those two albums are complete shit. Yeah, they're extemely talented, but they stopped playing together and just did their own thing. Plus, the vocals are so bad I can hardly stand to listen to the music.

Their later albums were described as "controlled chaos", but I just can't see it that way. It sounds like they pick notes randomly, and the music is too chaotic. I started with their album Obscura, and I hated it, but after a while I discovered their early stuff, and I got hooked. They used to be awesome.
09.07.2006 - 15:56
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Hmmm I strongly disagree with this notion of Gorguts going sour after the first two albums. If not, they matured so excellently.
Obscura and From Wisdom..., transcend the realm of music let alone metal. Those two albums(with Obscura being better IMO) are not only just the icing on the already well-baked cake, but they form a forte of their own. I wonder what Luc Lemay was on when he wrote those two albums(with help from Mongrain on the latter, I believe ). It's sheer madness, what they came up with.
It took me a helluva lot of time to get into later-era Gorguts too. I heard them once, and then just hated(well not hate, but thought it was way too awkward for me) them. After a couple of months, I persisted again and again, and finally started liking the album. I liked them so much, that ALL my time alloted to music for a week was occupied by Gorguts. You know what they say right? The harder the band is to get into, the better you'll like them.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
09.07.2006 - 16:56
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by CrypticMyth on 09.07.2006 at 15:56

You know what they say right? The harder the band is to get into, the better you'll like them.

Indeed, unless the band just plain sucks, haha. Anyway, from the list I would probably go for Martyr, though I am not a huge fan of anyone on that list. I do enjoy most of them though like SYL, Annihilator, and Cryptopsy. However, I would have to choose that "Other" option as I have found a new fondness for The Devin Townsend Band. In the last few weeks this band has captured my fandom and I love both albums I own. It really shows how talented Hevy Devy really is. I think the music is fantastic. I know it's now Technical Death/Grind or anything, but they are Canadian.
----
The force will be with you, always.
09.07.2006 - 20:33
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Written by Clintagräm on 09.07.2006 at 16:56

Written by CrypticMyth on 09.07.2006 at 15:56

You know what they say right? The harder the band is to get into, the better you'll like them.

Indeed, unless the band just plain sucks, haha.

In which case you'd be a dumbass to persistantly listen to them
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
10.07.2006 - 00:51
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
eh, I'll listen to Obscura some more, but they just don't play their instruments together. Plus, I really can't stand the vocals at all. It sounds like that dude is about to lose his voice. They're extremely talented musicians and I like their first two albums but I"m not so sure about their later stuff.
10.07.2006 - 01:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
BTW there was some band Vixen not thise singing ugly locking girls, but some Thresh metal band, also Slaughter Thresh, does someone had hear them?
----

10.07.2006 - 12:27
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Written by Dangerboner on 10.07.2006 at 00:51

eh, I'll listen to Obscura some more, but they just don't play their instruments together

That's a speciality of theirs
Each instrument is on a different time signature altogether. It's called a hemiola I think.

Written by Dangerboner on 10.07.2006 at 00:51

Plus, I really can't stand the vocals at all. It sounds like that dude is about to lose his voice. They're extremely talented musicians and I like their first two albums but I"m not so sure about their later stuff.

About the album+vocals, just give it some time man. I'm sure you'll end up liking it.
----
10.07.2006 - 15:03
lordz
IzZo
Kataklysm for me is the best
they have been giving us better and better albums through the years
16.07.2006 - 06:36
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I voted for Cryptopsy. They help make the death metal scene into what it is and they are one of the founders of the French Canadian Death Metal. None So Vile and Blasphemy Made Flesh are great albums in the Death Metal genre.
28.07.2006 - 08:24
nana.MD
Star-Queen
hmm...i had to think more than twice about this one because most of the bands are great, if i had to chose the best out of them i'd say:
1. martyr
2. quo vadis
3. cyrtopsy
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
28.07.2006 - 15:40
Ruines
Account deleted
Martyr is only great in shows imo. Yes they are very technical but the albums failed to deliver the agressivity i was looking for. But that is a REALLY subjective opinion. Daniel Mongrain from Martyr also played with Cryptopsy when they lost a guitarist a few years ago. Really amazing guitarist.
29.07.2006 - 02:11
danzig111
Account deleted
Strapping Young Lad are the only Canadian band i like so my vote is obligated to go to them .
02.08.2006 - 21:08
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I went with "Other".

For me, my top three Canadian Metal bands are

1. Rush
2. The Devin Townsend Band
3. James LaBrie

I do like Strapping Young Lad, and Into Eternity is alright (their live shows suck).

But Rush is my band from Canada.
----
(space for rent)
02.08.2006 - 21:26
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Cryptopsy..Whisper Supremacy was a badass album
04.08.2006 - 16:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
You all shood try Canadian doom metal band Cortisol, thay are great, I hear them in MySpace, and probobly i try dounloud albun, if find, great band
----

04.08.2006 - 23:23
Ruines
Account deleted
Written by Susan on 07.07.2006 at 02:33

I chose "other" since my favourite Canadian metal band is Akitsa. The quintessential black metal band: high quality musicianship and low quality production

Their instrumental song "Introduction" is one of my favourite all time metal songs. It's so completely mesmerizing. Two guitars eerily transport you to the mystic land of metal.

Akitsa's gotta be one of my top 5 bm band of all time.

Did you hear the new album ?
05.08.2006 - 18:20
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
I voted for SYL because they are a really great band and i like their industrial sound very much. Also in SYL Hoglan is playing the drums so....
08.08.2006 - 07:21
tattootildeath
Account deleted
dead jesus suck, that's fer sure!
08.08.2006 - 16:24
Ruines
Account deleted
Augury should be mentionned.