Metal Storm logo
Most talented and original bands since 2000

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 17.05.2006 - 08:33
im not too certain of any to be honest, there are many new bands which are quite good, but generally they sound like a blend of two or three bands.
The most origional sound iv heard of bands founded since 2000 is probably Epica,
the mid 90's was fantastic though since 2000 the picking have become a little thin imo, dozenze of bands with a new sound were coming out then. someone point me in a new direction please.
25.05.2006 - 03:18
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
Wintersun, Ensiferum and Moonsorrow, are probally the most original bands to come out since 2000, because they are all Folk / Black Metal, which is something diffrent then what other bands have done.
25.05.2006 - 03:36
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Psycroptic, very talented Technical Death metal. Has toured with the likes of Behemoth, Cannibal Corpse, Kataklysm, Legion Of The Damned, Nile, Deed of Flesh. Looks very promising for the future of Tech Death.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
31.05.2006 - 16:50
Slaytanic1
I would say the only "different" sounding metal genre of recent years is the folk/viking metal one. Bands like Finntroll, Korpiklaani, Manegarm and Ensiferum are doing things slightly differently albeit wrapped up in a black/thrash metal cloak. Everything in metal nowadays is merely a variant of stuff gone before - I think we've seen the last of real innovation.
01.06.2006 - 05:01
Zamoth
Well, i think the most talented and original bands since 2000 are: Klimt 1918, Swallow The Sun, Blackfield, Antimatter, Moonsorrow, Korpiklaani, Sirenia, Riverside, and Mors Principium Est.
02.06.2006 - 14:52
Stoemp
And what do you guys think about Textures, the great Dutch band. I recently acquired their latest album and it's beyond anything I heard so far. They perfectly create what other bands like 'The Ocean' or 'Gojira' try. Not that I don't like these bands, but imo Textures has that little something more...
03.06.2006 - 20:41
okt31
Account deleted
I don't see what's the big point for Wintersun.. IMO they sould like power metal with harsh vocals.. OK, the folkyness is there, but it's not that different from the common style of CoB, Norther, Kalmah and the like.. OK, they are good bu tnot that great.. IMO...
04.06.2006 - 19:23
malice05
Account deleted
hard to find original bands IMO i mean most of the bands in todays industries are friends, and bounce off one another...but mainly i think it comes down to what you can here in a band that u cant here in anything else...but IMO majority are similar...

basically a band i think is different and original, Rammstein, from when they came out until now...

cheers, Malice05
30.06.2006 - 12:30
Nightwish15
Account deleted
I dont know many bands since 2000, Yeah, I know Stream of Passion, they are great. have a awesome sound. Nothing wrong with this band. And I know Edenbridge, they also kick ass. very original and talented. you should listen to Forever Shine On, that is a really cool song ^^
And of course For My Pain, They are a couple of musicians who play together. And Tuomas Holopainen is in it ^^D:D:P.. the keyboards from nightwish

B.T.W. Does anyone know if For My Pain is going to make a new another album. I love them, Every song of theirs is great. So I want to know if they are going further with the band or was it just one album, and thats it:S????
30.06.2006 - 14:43
HardSide
kadenzza, wintersun, circle of death children
05.07.2006 - 10:49
Aszsharaah
Account deleted
I guess one of the most original bands since 2000 are Agalloch (htough they were founded in '95, they only started getting attention after 2000), and Pelican, with the drone post-hardcore music that's just different from anything I've heard lately
05.07.2006 - 12:53
Sunioj
I would say Kalmah, speaking from the time they released their first album. I dont why some people draw such a common characteristic with kalmah, COB, norther and wintersun, COB is nothing like kalmah, kalmah is more power metal derived and faster plus their music is more structured than COB. Kalmah also has a more epic sound to it.
05.07.2006 - 13:40
Too many fail.
Im not sure if sleep terror was around before 2000 with any official releases but their sound sure is unique, thought they make very little (possibly none) effort to link their quirky jazz stuff into their extreme metal with some sort of musical sense, i think theyre amazing, the fact that the jazz breaks come in the music the way they do could probably be the reason why they sound so unique, who knows. anyhow they kick ass.
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
06.07.2006 - 18:30
wildchild
Warchild
kalmah is really great!! =D

and i like cob too

and also norther hah

okok...i stop now...! =p
----
warchildpost.blogspot.com
08.07.2006 - 17:57
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
no mention of lurker of chalice yet (unless i missed it when i skim-read this thread). good stuff. i didn't particuarly like leviathan but LoC takes that style in a more experimental direction and it works great. kind of gets a bit samey but defenitly a great album nonetheless.

The Axis Of Perdition : excellent stuff. especially the physical illucinations EP.

and, if we're not sticking to just metal, Beecher. Very influenced by Dillinger and converge (as are most modern hardcore bands) but they really made it their own style on the last album in particular. they unfortunately split up in january but i was lucky enough to see one of their last shows and its one of the greatest gigs ive been to. Even their more ambient parts work well in the live environment.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
09.07.2006 - 03:19
Graveheart
Written by [user id=4335] on 30.06.2006 at 12:30
B.T.W. Does anyone know if For My Pain is going to make a new another album. I love them, Every song of theirs is great. So I want to know if they are going further with the band or was it just one album, and thats it:S????

They have released a single "Killing Romance" about two years ago, but that's all for now. The cover song on it is great, but the other two songs may be the most horrible things I have ever heard. If they continue like that I hope there will be no more albums coming out. The debut release Fallen is still gorgeous, probably the only suomi metal album (whatever you call it) I like.
09.07.2006 - 03:27
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Benighted is one of the most talented death metal bands around and I"m pretty sure they started sometime around 2000.
09.07.2006 - 11:47
Ruines
Account deleted
Written by [user id=2948] on 05.07.2006 at 10:49

I guess one of the most original bands since 2000 are Agalloch (htough they were founded in '95, they only started getting attention after 2000), and Pelican, with the drone post-hardcore music that's just different from anything I've heard lately

Those are really good bands but you should check out "Red Sparrows" which are waaaaaaaaay better than Pelican in this style of post-rock/hardcore.
09.07.2006 - 12:34
Dark-JorRot
Account deleted
Written by Graveheart on 09.07.2006 at 03:19

They have released a single "Killing Romance" about two years ago, but that's all for now. The cover song on it is great, but the other two songs may be the most horrible things I have ever heard. If they continue like that I hope there will be no more albums coming out. The debut release Fallen is still gorgeous, probably the only suomi metal album (whatever you call it) I like.

ahaa,, yes.. well, if they go on like "Killing Romance" and that other finnish song :s then they are horrible, but if they produce songs like "Dancer in the dark", "Queen Misery", "Rapture of the lust" and some like that stuff, then they are super, I love this album. Every song on it is beautiful.
It would be a pity if there are no more albums, but we shall see.. .. thanks for the info
09.07.2006 - 19:06
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I was actually very sad with For My Pain... since they released an amazing first album and then just died. They had so much potential. what a waste!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
10.07.2006 - 01:03
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Maybe Moonsorrow , I know they are formed 1995 but their first release is 2001 and I think that they are very unique and talented
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
10.07.2006 - 05:31
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Converge - "Jane Doe"
Isis - "Oceanic"
Today is The Day - "Sadness Will Prevail"
Nile - "Blackseeds of Vengeance"
10.07.2006 - 05:51
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
ahhh, Today Is The Day. Interesting band.
10.07.2006 - 23:29
nick35
Account deleted
the most talented bands would have to be dragonforce and killswitch engage
11.07.2006 - 00:03
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Written by [user id=14754] on 10.07.2006 at 05:31

Converge - "Jane Doe"
Isis - "Oceanic"

this is about bands that were founded in this decade. so none of those.

and the last converge is much better than jane doe. people only prefer jane doe because they're mentally retarded and JD is bettere to swing your arms around like a twat to.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
11.07.2006 - 00:19
Ruines
Account deleted
Written by [user id=14624] on 10.07.2006 at 23:29

the most talented bands would have to be dragonforce and killswitch engage

PLEEEEEASE !

don't mention Killswitch engage !
11.07.2006 - 02:55
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by -tom- on 11.07.2006 at 00:03

Written by [user id=14754] on 10.07.2006 at 05:31

Converge - "Jane Doe"
Isis - "Oceanic"

this is about bands that were founded in this decade. so none of those.

and the last converge is much better than jane doe. people only prefer jane doe because they're mentally retarded and JD is bettere to swing your arms around like a twat to.

hahah
i dont swing my arms and how is someone a twat for preferring Jane doe over You Fail me?...?...i'll agree with you that you fail me is better...it has more sludgy/doom elements that i like...but to be unbiased, Jane Doe is a More ,Creative, and all around more complete sounding album...i like all the albums either way
11.07.2006 - 13:20
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
^ people must agree with my opinion or they are wrong

nah, i just find you fail me to be a much better album in everyway. theres more variation in it, it takes a more emotional approach while still bordering grindcore a lot of the time and i just think the production is excellent. all the instruments seem to blend in together better than on jane doe. Yet, everyone seems to prefer JD and ive even heard people say that they sold out with the new album.
----

Read Watchmen.
11.07.2006 - 14:50
Damnated
Churchburner
Mortifera would be one, also Alcet, Axis Of Perdiction, and even Rivendell, although they formed in '98 only released one demo before 2000. Another good band is A Forest
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.

11.07.2006 - 16:19
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
that reminds me, drudkh are pretty good as well.
----

Read Watchmen.
15.07.2006 - 08:02
DIE_by_my_HAND
I'd have to say the best and most orgional band to emerge since 2000 would have to be Biomechanical. Their use of the keyboard is so abstract. It's like music to the fucken apocalypse. The music itself is heavy and epic which are great in my books.
Next would have to be Into Eternity because they use high vocals as well as growling and screaming with a progressive touch. Their ripping solos and melodies are always mixed with super heavy rhythm in the background. And they are Canadian eh..
----
And music: well it's just entertainment folks!!
-Devin Townsend