Metal Storm logo
Best Progressive Metal Band

Original post

Posted by Endoftherainbow, 13.07.2006 - 02:27
Seeing as Prog Metal is such a diverse genre I was wondering what peoples favorite band in this genre is and why. What album is your favorite, what do you think of this bands live preformance, and anything else you would like to add. My favorite Prog Metal band is Tool because all of their albums are amazing. My favorite is Aenima though because it contains most of my favorite songs by them like Hooker With a Penis. Although I haven't seen Tool live yet I would say it looks like they have a sick live show with their lights and everything else that's going on. Other favorites of mine include Opeth, Symphony X, Ayreon, Porcupine Tree, Devin Townsend, Evergrey, Shadows Gallery, Star One, Circus Maximus, Rush, and Dream Theater.
20.07.2006 - 15:22
Necro-Goat
Account deleted
Okay then...
My favorite prog.-band is Beyond Twilight.

I can't even explain B.T. It is just so original... i just love it.

BTW, they're For The Love Of Art And The Making albus is number 1 on Progarchives' Top 100 prog. albums.
20.07.2006 - 17:17
lordz
IzZo
Death IMO are pioneers in prog death metal
Look at symbolic for example......... the best album out there
21.07.2006 - 01:44
Necro-Goat
Account deleted
Written by lordz on 20.07.2006 at 17:17

I don't really see Death as a prog-band. (Even thought they are).
But Death is definately one of my fav. bands.
I just love that 80's Florida Death-Metal-Style.
21.07.2006 - 01:53
Damnated
Churchburner

Pioneers, but they didn't really played progressive metal.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
21.07.2006 - 02:00
lordz
IzZo
Written by Damnated on 21.07.2006 at 01:53

you dont think that the Last death album was totally prog death?
21.07.2006 - 02:10
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by lordz on 21.07.2006 at 02:00

Written by Damnated on 21.07.2006 at 01:53

you dont think that the Last death album was totally prog death?

When I said they didn't really played progressive metal I said exactly this!
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
21.07.2006 - 02:25
Endoftherainbow
Death weren't really pioneers of Progressive Death Metal a pioneer of that genre would be a band like Atheist or Cynic but they were releasing albums like that long before Symbolic came out and IMO they're alot better then Death at writing that kind of music to. If you haven't heard those two bands I suggest you go and check them out.
21.07.2006 - 04:50
lordz
IzZo
@Damnated... ok cool

@Endoftherainbow
ok maybe they werent "THE" Pioneers but they did give us one of the best prog death albums... come on now
Love Atheist by the way... great band
and Cynic, Paul Masvidal's voice unfortunetly annoys me ... but the guitar work is out of this world
too bad all of the bands were talking about are not in the scene anymore
22.07.2006 - 12:51
Necro-Goat
Account deleted
I really love that mid 80's-mid 90's Florida death metal style... Like Atheist and Death, not to mention Morbid Angel and ect..
They were all pioneers in death metal.
22.07.2006 - 22:36
Milan
Account deleted
I think that Dream Theater is the best progressive metal band. They are also one of the first. And they are true clean progressive, not like Death which are progressive death metal (only in the last albums)
23.07.2006 - 00:26
Mega-Slayer
Fates Warning are probably the true pioneers of prog. metal,they are a talented and great band,just not my favorite.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
23.07.2006 - 01:05
Vanwarp
Written by Endoftherainbow on 13.07.2006 at 02:27

Seeing as Prog Metal is such a diverse genre I was wondering what peoples favorite band in this genre is and why. What album is your favorite, what do you think of this bands live preformance, and anything else you would like to add. My favorite Prog Metal band is Tool because all of their albums are amazing. My favorite is Aenima though because it contains most of my favorite songs by them like Hooker With a Penis. Although I haven't seen Tool live yet I would say it looks like they have a sick live show with their lights and everything else that's going on. Other favorites of mine include Opeth, Symphony X, Ayreon, Porcupine Tree, Devin Townsend, Evergrey, Shadows Gallery, Star One, Circus Maximus, Rush, and Dream Theater.

I like every one of the bands you mention here with the exception of Star One (not in the same league as the rest of them...sorry), but you are missing quite a few exceptional bands such as:

Riverside
Vanden Plas
Kamelot
Sieges Even
Therion
----
"Only sick music makes money today." Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher (1844 - 1900)
23.07.2006 - 20:05
Hamird
Lieutenant
The Best progmetal band is TOOL. no doubt ...
23.07.2006 - 20:28
Vunts
Written by Vanwarp on 23.07.2006 at 01:05

I like every one of the bands you mention here with the exception of Star One (not in the same league as the rest of them...sorry), but you are missing quite a few exceptional bands such as:

Riverside
Vanden Plas
Kamelot
Sieges Even
Therion

Kamelot progressive?? That has got to be one of the most hilarious things i've heard. Just because they aint "your generic power metal band" doesn't mean they are progressive.
23.07.2006 - 21:23
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=7484] on 22.07.2006 at 22:36

I think that Dream Theater is the best progressive metal band. They are also one of the first. And they are true clean progressive, not like Death which are progressive death metal (only in the last albums)

Dream Theater is not the first prog metal band, nor one of the first, and prog death is just a subgenre of prog, so basicly it is 'true clean' prog
----

25.07.2006 - 04:00
Silhouette
I thought this discussion were about progressive metal, not about the "80's-mid 90's Florida death metal style".

Anyway, my favourite progressive metal band (and favourite band of all time) is Pain of Salvation.
Why?
* They are original (no, Pain of Salvation is definitely NOT a Dream Theater copy)
* They are skilled
* Their music is very varied
* Their lyrics are very intelligent
* All their albums are concept albums
* All their albums are dealing with intelligent concepts, easy to relate to (except BE, which is great anyway)

Besides, Pain of Salvation started already in 1984, not in mid 90's as many seems to believe. This makes Pain of Salvation as much pioneers as bands like Fates Warning, Queensrÿche and Dream Theater. The difference is that Pain of Salvation didn't want to record anything until 1992, at that time they recorded they're first and only demo, Hereafter.

Some other progressive favourites of mine: Ark, Axamenta, Ayreon, Biomechanical, Devin Townsend Band, Evergrey, Green Carnation, Opeth, Pagan's Mind, Porcupine Tree, Shadow Gallery, Stream of Passion, Symphony X, Textures, Tool.
This changes from day to day, with Pain of Salvation as the only constant band in my top list.

This is not supposed to be discussed here, so don't comment this in this thread (PMs are alright), but: I do not consider "progressive" as a genre.
25.07.2006 - 04:23
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Silhouette: Dude, if you're discussing progressive metal then death, thrash, black and all that still has to be acounted for...anyways, it was only mentioned because Death and Atheist really pushed progressive tendencies in death metal...it's just a very significant part of modern progressive music in metal is all...
25.07.2006 - 04:37
Bitch Boy
Obviously Dream Theater isn't one of the first progressive metal bands. Precursors of progressive metal are those 70's progressive rock bands like Pink Floyd, Kansas, Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull, etc. Fates Warning or Queensrÿche may be some of the first prog metal bands.
25.07.2006 - 04:46
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
can you considere PoS the first prog band =) since Daniel was 12 when he formed the band (in the late 70's)
hehe just playing
I figure out that people in Metalstorm doesnt like Pain of Salvation... I wounder why...
----
25.07.2006 - 04:54
Bitch Boy
Daniel didn't form Pain of Salvation in late 70's. It was in middle 80's, meanwhile Fates Warning was an active (prog metal) band. BTW PoS is one of my favs, but still isn't one of the first prog metal bands.
25.07.2006 - 21:39
Pyro
Account deleted
Dream Theater all the way, prog metal at it's best.
Pain of Salvation is pretty good too, and for mixed styles, I'll go to Anacrusis, thrash progressive metal.
And I almost forgot Queensryche.
26.07.2006 - 13:27
Vanwarp
Written by Vunts on 23.07.2006 at 20:28

Written by Vanwarp on 23.07.2006 at 01:05

Riverside
Vanden Plas
Kamelot
Sieges Even
Therion

Kamelot progressive?? That has got to be one of the most hilarious things i've heard. Just because they aint "your generic power metal band" doesn't mean they are progressive.

Progressive Power my friend...Progressive Power! Just listen to The Black Halo all the way through...
----
"Only sick music makes money today." Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher (1844 - 1900)
26.07.2006 - 21:15
Pianoman
Account deleted
My favourite progressives bands are Symphony x and Shaaman.
You have to listen to Shaaman that is a really good band!
26.07.2006 - 22:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Before I open this I think it will be pool, you know world is full of pro. metal bands , so its hard to choose and Opeth dont counts like prog.

So best are Psycotic waltz, realy great and amazing band from USA, I realy love I had tapes of firt two albums and werry old tapes, so sometimes when I feel special need and whn Im in my grandmotehsr house in darkness warm summer nifgt whit some drink I listen them in PC I had best song of them ''I Remeber'' realy, realy great band
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.07.2006 - 23:35
Pianoman
Account deleted
I like a lot Dream Theater but not so as Shaman and Symphony X.
28.07.2006 - 03:45
Pyro
Account deleted
Written by [user id=6192] on 26.07.2006 at 21:15

Shaaman isn't progressive, Angra was (and still is sometimes).

Kamelot isn't progressive also. Sometimes the concept of progressive is missuderstood.
28.07.2006 - 03:50
Daru Jericho
Kamelot are prog power, probably leaning more oto the power side of things but they're valid in this thread.

Also, Tool are alternative rock. They just happened to be influenced by prog muscians. They're far from prog. Besides, this is about prog METAL anyway and there's no way they're metal.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

28.07.2006 - 05:34
Pianoman
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5584] on 28.07.2006 at 03:45

Shaaman isn't progressive, Angra was (and still is sometimes).

Kamelot isn't progressive also. Sometimes the concept of progressive is missuderstood.

What about songs like over your head and rogh stone?
28.07.2006 - 07:50
nana.MD
Star-Queen
hmm...dream theater is my favorite prog-band but i couldn't say they are the best...i know several groups like spiral architect, spastic ink, watchtower, king crimson, planet-x, etc that are excellent bands, and maybe better than dream theater but i don't like them that much...imo one of the best prog bands is gordian knot, the albums are excellent, the musicians are very talented and the music is very unique...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
28.07.2006 - 08:41
Pyro
Account deleted
Written by [user id=6192] on 28.07.2006 at 05:34

Written by [user id=5584] on 28.07.2006 at 03:45

What about songs like over your head and rogh stone?

Over your head is mid-tempo song, but the fact that it has a chorus that is somewhat heavier than the main riff of the song doesn't make it a progressive metal song. And even if it was, youre saying that Shaaman is a progressive band giving two songs as an example, two songs that are not really progressive.