Metal Storm logo
Favorite Bassist?

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 04.08.2006 - 07:15
Greg Christian of Testament would be one of my favorites (fast fucker)
then comes Stephan Fimmers of Necrophagist
Cliff Burton..

my top 3..
09.08.2006 - 08:59
nana.MD
Star-Queen
hmm...i don't have a fav one but i could mention a few i think are very talented, each one at it's own style and genre of course...i'd say: john myung, sean malone, roger patterson, cliff burton, jason newsted, stephan fimmers...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
09.08.2006 - 23:02
Drizzling Blur
Account deleted
Sean Malone, his project Gordian Knot dwelves into his mind of complex puzzles of bass lines and each speaks a story in itself.

Amazing Bassist.
11.08.2006 - 16:13
decapitator
Alex Webster... is by far my favorite... hes an amazing bassist. i love the way he plays, and the speed he plays in. hopefully someday i'll be able to play just as half as good as he does.
12.08.2006 - 10:33
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
I forgot one Pete Trewavas of Marillion,TransAtlantic.
13.08.2006 - 13:19
Fetid Fetus
Account deleted
At the moment my favourite bassist would have to be Olivia Scemama; the new bassist for Aborted. She is such an inspiration to me, and absolutely amazing on bass.
16.08.2006 - 14:58
Anathemani@c
Of course Steve Harris, Cliff Burton, Steve Di Giorgio, David Ellefson, John Myung and the great Martin Mendez from Opeth. Also a great bassist is Duncan Patterson (ex-Anathema) because of his inspiration...
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
16.08.2006 - 16:14
Sunioj
Henkka T blacksmith, (rythm bass but hes good)
Dave Vincent (brutal power chord bass player)
Any bassist from death from human, ITP, and sound of perseverance. especially steve degorgio.
The bassist from Stratovarius and Necrophagist are great, though I forgot their names.
04.09.2006 - 11:35
Prowler84
Written by Arian Totalis on 09.08.2006 at 04:51

My Favorite Metal Bassist is Probably Steve Harris of Iron Maiden. He is incredibly Skilled Technicaly, and yet it's almost like his Bass Lines Come Naturally from his heart, Aside from the Fact that he's also extremly fast, and no pics for him, he maintains that speed with his Fingers!! Speaking of fingers, he plays with Three Of Them!!

fully agree..My signature summarises everything

Even John Myung (One of the best bassist on the planet I think) is a Steve Harris fan
----
Steve Harris isn't a God.God is a S.Harris!!
05.09.2006 - 06:39
Sore Neck 101
Account deleted
Sean Tseult from White Zombie - not cos she's like an overly amazing bass player but i just love the groovy-ness from their songs
05.09.2006 - 12:17
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Ive always liked James MacDonough who is now playing with god knows, he changes alot... i think Strapping Young Lad, he was with Megadeth for a year or so, before that he played a large part in Iced Earths career, about 7 years all up. I just like his style. He need to just find a band and stick with them though.
05.09.2006 - 12:51
Valentin B
Iconoclast
For me it's steve harris vs dave ellefson
both have good lines and aren't just following the riffs.listen to "take no prisoners" and "powerslave"-that slightly slow part kicks fucking bassist ass!!also fantastic bass on number of the beast
05.09.2006 - 21:58
KMR
I'll go with with Steve DiGiorgio, as always kicks ass, if it is metal or jazz, he's got one of the best feeling in this business. Respect.
----
Nothing is sacred.
05.09.2006 - 22:27
Sunioj
I admit Steve Harris is a decent bassist, but I dont see anything amazing about his playing.
06.09.2006 - 06:05
Windshear
Account deleted
Steve DiGiorgio. I mean look at some of the bands he's been in: Artension, Autopsy, Control Denied, Death, Dragonlord, Iced Earth, Painmuseum, Sadus, Testament, and Vintersorg!

Also is Cliff Burton, Steve Harris, and Geezer Butler. All tied for first. I hold none above the other.

The dude ChaotH from Unexpect is pretty good to. I think i saw him with an 8 or 10 string bass. Dude, the neck on that thing was wider than... my neck! I could've been seeing stuf, but I don't think so. I have seen a 12 string bass, after all.
07.09.2006 - 13:48
Prowler84
Written by Sunioj on 05.09.2006 at 22:27

I admit Steve Harris is a decent bassist, but I dont see anything amazing about his playing.

Then..tell him to play you for an hour and see what is amazement
----
Steve Harris isn't a God.God is a S.Harris!!
07.09.2006 - 14:19
Sunioj
@Prowler,
Oh Im sure he plays really well, but I just havent noticed insane arpeggios or anything, I give the fact that his style is good, but Im not blown away.
08.09.2006 - 06:30
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I am also a big fan of Alex Webster. I'm not sure what it is as Cannibal Corpse have never been one of my favorite bands, but I respect the fact that he heads the band and has a great attitude. Not to mention he totally slays at bass playing.

Written by Dark Cornatus on 05.09.2006 at 12:17

Ive always liked James MacDonough who is now playing with god knows, he changes alot... i think Strapping Young Lad, he was with Megadeth for a year or so, before that he played a large part in Iced Earths career, about 7 years all up. I just like his style. He need to just find a band and stick with them though.

By the way, Byron Stroud of Fear Factory fame is the bassist for SYL. Has been since 'City' I think. A very good bassist James MacDonough is nonetheless.
----
The force will be with you, always.
08.09.2006 - 19:14
The Sky Dancer
Account deleted
i'll have to go with cliff. the guy was HUGE!!!
still, les claypool and pastorious can really make ur fingers hurt...
and flea for peppers is good too!!!
12.09.2006 - 07:27
Freezer
i really like Chancellor from Tool, but they're not properly metal
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
13.09.2006 - 01:10
peavy
Account deleted
It would have to be the amazing Joey DeMaio for me!! He's just so unique...
14.09.2006 - 13:45
ElPolloDiablo
Account deleted
steve harris is not god. god is steve harris.
14.09.2006 - 15:16
Illusionist
Account deleted
Bomber Harris, bitches!
21.09.2006 - 21:48
DLMokoma
Account deleted
Top5:
1. Cliff Burton, R.I.P.
2. Steve Harris, need we say more?
3. Lauri Porra, the best in Finland.
4. Jason Newsted, sympathic, energic, creative and underrated.
5. Jukka Koskinen, the grazy man.
22.09.2006 - 22:38
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
My favourites are Marco Hietala from Nightwish and Henkka from COB. Both very skilled musicians and Marco also plays in several other combinations like Tarot and Sinergy. Marco's way of playing bass gives a great sound to Nightwish's songs.
----
You'll never walk alone.
23.09.2006 - 07:18
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Well ok their are many good bassists going around
Marco Hietala is fantastic
James McDonough is another amazing bassist
Tom Araya

But the guy who tops them all IMO is the lead bassist of Primus. Think of a rock band if you would call them that with no guitsrist only 2 bassists and a drummer. Freaky shit, but its awesome.
23.09.2006 - 13:57
Schlackass
Account deleted
Written by [user id=5315] on 23.09.2006 at 07:18

Tom Araya

But the guy who tops them all IMO is the lead bassist of Primus. Think of a rock band if you would call them that with no guitsrist only 2 bassists and a drummer. Freaky shit, but its awesome.

Les Claypool of Primus is indeed one of the more talented bassists. But Primus has a guitarist.. Love that band.
25.09.2006 - 08:36
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Written by [user id=3664] on 23.09.2006 at 13:57

Written by [user id=5315] on 23.09.2006 at 07:18

Tom Araya

Les Claypool of Primus is indeed one of the more talented bassists. But Primus has a guitarist.. Love that band.

Yeh i just noticed a guitarist on the Brown album, But the bass is the lead. Definately a cool band.
25.09.2006 - 15:09
Sunioj
Im bad at names, but the bassists of decapitated and necrophagist are REALLY good. Tried figuring out their stuff yesterday, its so technical and fast. Other than that Chuck schuldiner had always made sure he had a good bassist on his team like Digorgio, Kelly.
25.09.2006 - 18:14
Tydirium
Account deleted
- I think one of the greatest bass players ever is Tony Levin,
who might be well known to fans of Progressive Rock music
because he played in King Crimson and for a certain while he
joined DT's sideproject called Liquid Tension Experiment. He
fascinates me because he is able to play the Chapman Stick,
i strange bass guitar with dozens of strings which is be played
only by tappings.

-But I also like John Myung for sure because he is very virtouse
and unifies a huge number of playing techniques and styles.

-Billy Sheehan who joined the fantastic G3- Guitar Meetings! He
also has a great repertoire and plays on a high niveau.

-Last but not least I have to add Steve Harris because he is an
influential person in the history of Heavy Metal and in addition to
his abilities to play bass he is a fuckin' good songwriter!
28.09.2006 - 05:43
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
My Favorite bassist is Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse, hes just so inspiring, and makes the best Death Metal bass solos, also the bassist of Necrophagist hes just insane and also inspiring, and they both influence me.