Metal Storm logo
What is linkage between Metal and Satanism

Original post

Posted by akvan, 18.01.2011 - 14:45
Somebody says all metalheads are satanist , but somebody says Metal is just a kind of music , what's your idea ?
18.01.2011 - 19:24
Jiri
Hahaha!
18.01.2011 - 19:47
Got Mayhem?
There is none. The end.
----
18.01.2011 - 19:57
athena
Metal fans do as they please!
18.01.2011 - 20:09
BrokenKnuckles
Written by athena on 18.01.2011 at 19:57

Metal fans do as they please!

amen, I lay off that im down with the devil just to piss people off. truth is.. i dont believe in shit
18.01.2011 - 20:39
kefa
They are just jealous of us
18.01.2011 - 20:39
Stay (sic)
Maybe 50% of Black Metal, It's a Stereotype over all though >___> NOT TRUE.
----
Zachy (;
18.01.2011 - 20:42
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Satanists no...but heathenists seem to love it
18.01.2011 - 21:15
King Bonzo
Metal ecompasses rebellion as it's key defining philosophy. In the west one of the main things to rebel againsts is, or was, christianity. Best way to do that is to claim to be a "satanist" or use "satanic" imagery and themes.

Simple really if you think...
18.01.2011 - 21:26
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Maybe rooted in the blues. A lot of early rock acts used certain elements of the blues in their music. A friend of mine told me that that stereotype comes from Robert Johnson and his supposed deal with the devil to turn him into the best guitarist ever or some shit. Not sure if this is true or not, but it sounds plausible, Sabbath was undeniably influenced by Blues/Jazz. I also watched that Headbangers Journey Metal DVD a few years back in which Dio claims he invented the "horns". He said that the horns are an old Italian superstition used to ward off the "evil eye".
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
18.01.2011 - 22:26
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Just be thankful people don't link Metal and Bible-humping Christians.
18.01.2011 - 23:01
Luneth
Account deleted
I listen to metal and am not Satanic. I have nothing against people who practice/believe in Satanism as I don't with any religion, but I am not. Furthermore, there is no link between the two. I would be very interested if you did an experiment on this however .
18.01.2011 - 23:41
I personally don't see any connection rather than the balck metal genre.
Although I do relate to it, since living in the 3rd world country that I'm in, most of the people that do not hear metal make those remarks. Either because of the poor cultural knowledge or because of a blind religious beliefe that metal music is somewhat related to satan. I can only fathom that the starter of this post may have been in similar situations.
Thankfully in most other countries people dont relate metal with nothing more than a bunch of rebels kids. in the worst case scenario, which I would prefer rather than still hearing the constant remarks of satan and stuff. T_T
----
***...Soy el rayo al final del puente...***
18.01.2011 - 23:54
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Daeva Toasted on 18.01.2011 at 23:41

I personally don't see any connection rather than the balck metal genre.
Although I do relate to it, since living in the 3rd world country that I'm in, most of the people that do not hear metal make those remarks. Either because of the poor cultural knowledge or because of a blind religious beliefe that metal music is somewhat related to satan. I can only fathom that the starter of this post may have been in similar situations.
Thankfully in most other countries people dont relate metal with nothing more than a bunch of rebels kids. in the worst case scenario, which I would prefer rather than still hearing the constant remarks of satan and stuff. T_T

That underlying prejudice is very much present in Western society too. Though no one says anything or even alludes to that ideology to keep up the pretence of 'enlightenment'. Especially and if not more so, if you're young and listen to metal.
19.01.2011 - 00:31
SoshianT
I listen to black metal and i,m no satanism.:nogood:
metal just a kind of music and have a history.
it's history from the pain,sad,power,fight with world,....:banger2:
19.01.2011 - 00:42
ANGEL REAPER
Satan is a looser ....He is so afraid that he live in Hell.....so why to worship him....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
19.01.2011 - 00:52
Axe Argonian
As a Christian, I must admit that I was once fearful of some bands and certain lyrics, for the stigmata on metal and its imagery unsettled me to an extent, but upon listening to Tool and learning to "read between the lines", I began to open my mind and listen to bands like Emperor and Bathory, to whom I would not have otherwise listened if I had not opened up my mind. With my mind open, I have realized that all bands have a message to convey and are not necessarily "Satanic" or "evil" as most narrow-minded Christians would blindly say. Despite my open-mindedness, however, I do wisely investigate bands and lyrics to determine what should and should not be accepted into my music library.

All music that I listen to goes through an assessment process before being accepted into my music library. First and foremost, I evaluate the prospective band's imagery, lyrics, and themes. If these aspects are respectable enough, I go on to ask myself, "What is the message that this band is trying to convey?". If the message is just idiotic and meaningless, I search for entertainment value in it or turn my attention away. If the message is positive and constructive between the lines, I then usually add this band to my "watch list". From there, depending on the musical quality, I either accept or reject the band. This process has proven to be quite useful in my never-ending search for more awesome metal to add to my library, and without it and Tool, half of the bands in my library would not be there.
----
"Man does at all times only what he wills, and yet he does this necessarily. But this is because he already is what he wills." - Arthur Schopenhauer
19.01.2011 - 00:53
I_Die_Often
Often, self righteous hypocrites and society in whole, accuse me of this, or just question why I would listen to Metal.
And to some I have to point out how they love horror movies, own all the DVD's... IT"S THE SAME DAMN THING!!!
It is entertainment and escapism through portrayed occult and gruesome displays. One is a movie, one is music.
Does anyone bring up that a killer was a fan of the SAW movies? No, but they will say "the killer once listened to Slipknot"
People are stupid and will not question themselves but freely question others actions.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
19.01.2011 - 01:29
Written by RockeRoy on 18.01.2011 at 19:04

I never heard anyone say people who listens to metal are satanists. Maybe my grand grand mother or some of her friends think so:) I know some people think so about black metal, but moast people who don't listen to metal knows that moast black metal bands only have satanism as an image, at least people here in norway knows.

That's why i love Norway, there's a kind of liberty.. anyways heaven is good but in hell the party rages hahahaha
19.01.2011 - 01:30
ANGEL REAPER
Written by [user id=101272] on 18.01.2011 at 22:26

Just be thankful people don't link Metal and Bible-humping Christians.

Yup....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
19.01.2011 - 01:32
ANGEL REAPER
Written by King Bonzo on 18.01.2011 at 21:15

Metal ecompasses rebellion as it's key defining philosophy. In the west one of the main things to rebel againsts is, or was, christianity. Best way to do that is to claim to be a "satanist" or use "satanic" imagery and themes.

Simple really if you think...

agree with you one this one...
----
19.01.2011 - 01:40
IronAngel
Metal has always been about shock value, going against the grain, criticism of societal norms (naive and clumsy as it usually is) and standing out from the crowd. Metal has always tried very hard to be rebellious and edgy. Whether this is mature or not is a seperate question worth considering, but I find it hilarious when metalheads complain about prejudice. You did this to yourselves. You wanted this. (Granted, this is only true is you identify with the metal tradition and feel it represents you in the first place.)

Personally, I'm not interested in lyrics when I listen to music. Rarely, a good artist has such great lyrics that they enrich the experience for me. Most of the time, it's a non-issue. And I'm fortunate to feel that way, because I'm very demanding when it comes to presenting your arguments and opinions, and the "message" of most artists (metal and otherwise, but especially metal) are really quite stupid. If I actually cared about what a band represents intellectually, I'd have to burn half of my album collection.
19.01.2011 - 01:46
ANGEL REAPER
Iron Angel what is point in making music that have vocals when there lyrics is not important?
fror a good song everything is important!
----
19.01.2011 - 03:24
rekkuza-
Metal is a type of music, a form of art. Satanism is a system of belief, and a lifestyle. They are, by principle, two very different things...
----
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it- Oscar Wilde
19.01.2011 - 06:54
BloodFireDeath
Honestly I am a LaVey satanist through and throughout and honestly I keep my metal and my satanism pretty separate to an extent. I think the reason why they go so well together is because REAL satanism (aka LaVey) is about freedom of thought, open mindedness, rebellion, questioning past orthodoxies, and going against the grain, and living a carnal life style, not human sacrifice and other silly things like that. These are things that heavy metal EXCELS at. That is why fundamentalist christians fear us it because if you make enough people think they will see the lies and stop believing in it. NOW to all you Christians out there, that doesn't mean you should stop being christian. As a good satanist i only ask you to live your life how you want it to be. Do what makes you happy and helps you be an awesome person. Now does listening to heavy metal make you a satanist? In short NO. In long NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. It is an art form of great music and soul and is applicable to anyone willing to heed the call. Metal can be about whatever you want it to be and mean anything. That is what makes it so great because it is so malleable. Just make sure it comes from the heart.
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
19.01.2011 - 13:59
Gurth Bennas
These r just for money! some people catch money to say fucking things to triple us! if you bacome satan worshiper u'll feel it and u'll can connect and speak with his servants or maybe himself. metal is just a kind of music I think, cuz u never feel satan when u listen.I should say again : JUST FOR MONEY EITHER PRIESTS OF GOD AND SATAN. God loves us, he never triple his creatures, don't forget!
----
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

(One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)
19.01.2011 - 14:00
Thats bullshit ! metal fans are not saitanists well at least most of them arent ! i listen to satanic metal such as slayer and many other bands but that dosnt mean i believe in that shit and actually most of the metal bands are writing saitanic just so they can be popular ! metal is a type of music and art and a fuckin great type ! i keep my religon beleives separet from metal! soo metal is a type of music not a type of religous beleives or satanic believes
19.01.2011 - 14:28
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Gurth Bennas on 19.01.2011 at 13:59

God loves us, he never triple his creatures, don't forget!

"I don't see any god here " Yuri Gagarin
God is nothing but a cruel deceiver....Bible ...
----
19.01.2011 - 14:48
Candlemass
Defaeco
Mainly to piss off Christians and feel bad ass? I think so. And I enjoy it too
19.01.2011 - 14:51
IronAngel
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 19.01.2011 at 01:46

Iron Angel what is point in making music that have vocals when there lyrics is not important?
fror a good song everything is important!

Vocals can be an important part of music (though I really like instrumental stuff), but that doesn't mean lyrics have to be important. At best, they need to sound good. Whether they have any interesting meaning is irrelevant to me, though in rare cases it can improve the experience even further (Regina Spektor, Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen come to mind). A stupid message can never ruin a song for me, or otherwise I couldn't listen to metal (or most music) in the first place. Most lyrics are really stupid, after all.

But your question is oddly phrased: I don't make music (with vocals or otherwise), so why ask me? I'm sure artists who do that have some reason to do it. I'm just talking about what I'm interested in.
19.01.2011 - 16:53
ANGEL REAPER
Man it look like you are interested only in instrumentals....well if there is some singing/growling in song that is important too
Quorthon sad once "In song everything must be equally important... "He is one of few men whose words I respect when it comes to making music(like I do too) and completely agree with him...
As for satanism and its linkage to metal I need to say that there is no such general linkage...If there is some its probably only serving as a tool for shock effect and getting attention of public (like in Norway 90s -Varg,Burzum) or as a form of expression of resistance to common society standards such are religion,moral,culture,lack of personal freedom etc.Even musicians that state that they are satanists are probably stating that just to gain attention and sell more cds ...
----